Moved Thread Ben Griffiths Contract Discussion - SIgned

How much would you offer Griffiths per year (assume 2yr contract)?

• Lower

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 7 4.5%

Votes: 22 14.3%

Votes: 67 43.5%

Votes: 42 27.3%

Votes: 6 3.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Higher

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Trade

Votes: 5 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He is one of the leading players in the league (17th overall) for contested marks. What is your point?
17th in contested marks 10yrs ago would have been impressive.Not now days with his uncontested crap.But anyway thats not my point,Quite a few times and on a regular basis its the way he goes at the contest that leads abit to be desired,Like he "avoids body contact",Its a worrying trait of his.Did it Sunday a few times and has in the past.

$400,000 times 22 on the field is = $8,800,000 (88% of the cap next year for our regular clubs) so you have an average of $66,600 for the other 18 guys on the list.

$400,000 is top five player salary.

Its really a top 10-12 player salary when you take into account your minimum 6 draftees on draft payments then usually another 6-10 guys on below 200k and then the rest are on about 200-350k.

At richmond I'm pretty confident Jack, Cotchin, Deledio, Martin, Rance, Jackson and Chaplin are all 400+. Newman would be border line too i think being a former captain, I don't know what Foley got on his last contract (I think potential it was above 350k if he played and performed) but it was more then we should have given him. Anyway 400k is very good money and too much for griff unless we make finals and he tears it apart.

Its really a top 10-12 player salary when you take into account your minimum 6 draftees on draft payments then usually another 6-10 guys on below 200k and then the rest are on about 200-350k.

At richmond I'm pretty confident Jack, Cotchin, Deledio, Martin, Rance, Jackson and Chaplin are all 400+. Newman would be border line too i think being a former captain, I don't know what Foley got on his last contract (I think potential it was above 350k if he played and performed) but it was more then we should have given him. Anyway 400k is very good money and too much for griff unless we make finals and he tears it apart.
Agree but doubt Jacko is on that coin.

The war chest did one simple thing, give us the capability to pay 100% of the cap, nothing more

We are already looking at a tsunami of wage increases, with Conca, Ellis, Vlas, Miles, Martin, Rance and Cotchin all definitely looking at big increases, closely followed by (dep on form) Lennon, Gordon, McBean and so on.

And the increases will not be small, most are looking at an additional $200k-300k pa.

A big part of what teh club is trying to do is manage these changes, not just so we maximize what we pay out today, but so that these amounts are sustainable.

We blew this once in the 90's, with idiotic deals to Holland, Daffy, Campbell and co. I'm glad we are not rushing to repeat those mistakes

Arent we still paying Daffy?:cool:

17th in contested marks 10yrs ago would have been impressive.Not now days with his uncontested crap.But anyway thats not my point,Quite a few times and on a regular basis its the way he goes at the contest that leads abit to be desired,Like he "avoids body contact",Its a worrying trait of his.Did it Sunday a few times and has in the past.

Tiger of old, you seem to want Griffiths to be a consistent dominant power forward.

He is not a dominant power forward IMO. We do not need Griffiths to be a power forward, Griffith's is not supposed to be the power forward you seem to seek. If he was he would get in the way of Dusty and Lids! Hawkins for Geelong is a power forward. Griffiths does not need be a power forward for RFC because he can be effective up the ground at half forward creating space and goals with his long kicking and spread even on a flank with Dusty CHF.

RFC should have a power forward ideally but that forward usually is deeper role.

IMO TV needs to be the deeper power forward you seek when with JR helping out and Griffith's further up the ground.

If TV worked on getting mass into his legs and other areas working on developing his game there is your power forward. So IMO to keep you happy TV needs to pull the finger out!

TV lacks the long kicking and leap but has the skillset to be a ruck/power forward. It is TV that needs to work on his game to fill the role you seem to seek IMO!

For what its worth there are not that many effective power forwards about either and the game is more about ball movement than contestability in some areas. You only have to look at Hawthorn that focus on disposal.

The main thing is Griffith's kicks goals and creates assists IMO, it doesn't matter how he does it, particularly if others are stronger in the contest, provided he doesn't detract from the team's output in terms of the team mix. The bottom line is Griffith's is effective with JR, Lids and Dusty. JR kicked 6 goals on the weekend with Griffith's kicking 2, and Lid's kicking goals. That is important in forging an effective long term sustainable offensively effective team!

Not every player is made to play a certain way for the team to be effective. As long as the mix is potent, licorice all sorts is perfectly fine when it beats the opposition by players playing unique roles as part of a troubling team match-up!

In saying that Griffith's is not useless in the contest, He used his body later in the game , took the mark, rode the opposition body a little and kicked the goal! So atm Griffith's may not be your consistent effective power forward but he is my consistent effective team forward who does not ignore the contest regularly and is getting better from improved support and time to grow as a player!

If Griffith's was the player you want him to be like a fit Patton without the knees he would be commanding 750K plus a year and more and we couldn't fit other guns in our team anyway!

The moral of this story is Dirk Nowitzki doesn't need to play like Shaquille O'neal to win the championship with Dallas, he already has proved that when you can hit the score board effectively from distance!

Last edited:

Well if he has alot of "uncontested crap", then those wouldn't contribute to his contested mark numbers, right?
I agree that he tends to avoid putting his body on the line, but he is improving. He's never going to have a Steve Morris approach, but there does need to be a minimum requirement.
For me, i reckon his ruck work is overated here. I'm not expecting it great, but he has a long way to go before what i would call as "half decent". Again, he is improving.

Well if he has alot of "uncontested crap", then those wouldn't contribute to his contested mark numbers, right?
I agree that he tends to avoid putting his body on the line, but he is improving. He's never going to have a Steve Morris approach, but there does need to be a minimum requirement.
For me, i reckon his ruck work is overated here. I'm not expecting it great, but he has a long way to go before what i would call as "half decent". Again, he is improving.
For a bloke who has done very little ruckwork in is career he is a natural. IMO I'm confident he will make a very good first ruck in a few years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lions are really keen.
If they offer $400k x 3 then we have to get what we can.
Hope he stays, but unless we flick Ty to the Dogs, he won't, nor should he.

He did have 7 possessions on Sunday. I adore him, but it's a seller's market for KPF's this year and we'd be overcompensated.

What would you say was overcompensation for a KPF player originally picked in the top 20 with 5 years development just starting to hit his straps?

What would you say was overcompensation for a KPF player originally picked in the top 20 with 5 years development just starting to hit his straps?
Hitting his straps?
7 Possessions against the bottom side.
Even Spencer White on debut had more.

Interesting question isn't it I tell you personally even if we got lions 1 st pick I'd rate that as we've been ripped off .
HeHeHe@top 5 pick and still getting ripped off.lol

Interesting question isn't it I tell you personally even if we got lions 1 st pick I'd rate that as we've been ripped off .
If he reaches his potential then yes we would be ripped off, but he may only ever be a good/average player with some elite traits.

Lions 1st rounder? Where do we sign? And fwiw, I want to keep him, but an early 1st rounder is a win IMO.

Just starting to hit his straps (7 touches on the weekend), who has been a fair bit of VFL this year etc.
I'd say a first rounder, for sure.

Auction, it would be.

They are circling see the article in the heraldsun today? a few clubs have made enquiries. If we got a first round pick for him would not be so bad! Would rather he just stayed though. 5 years 1 million dollars. Lock him up cheapish on a long term contract hehe.
If he reaches his potential then yes we would be ripped off, but he may only ever be a good/average player with some elite traits.

Lions 1st rounder? Where do we sign? And fwiw, I want to keep him, but an early 1st rounder is a win IMO.

Hitting his straps?
7 Possessions against the bottom side.
Even Spencer White on debut had more.

Griffiths had a much greater impact on the game than Spencer White who looks a likely type in fairness. I don't care how many possessions he had, he played his role and had an impact and kicked 2 goals. Go back and watch the first quarter. The tap to a teammate on the flank when surrounded by 2 Saints that set up an inside 50 wouldn't have counted as a possession but it was valuable. Blocking in marking contests to allow Maric to mark a couple of times the week before don't count as a stat. Bringing the ball to ground in marking contests don't count but you're right he only got 7 possessions on the weekend. He's a spud. Delist.

Griffiths had a much greater impact on the game than Spencer White who looks a likely type in fairness. I don't care how many possessions he had, he played his role and had an impact and kicked 2 goals. Go back and watch the first quarter. The tap to a teammate on the flank when surrounded by 2 Saints that set up an inside 50 wouldn't have counted as a possession but it was valuable. Blocking in marking contests to allow Maric to mark a couple of times the week before don't count as a stat. Bringing the ball to ground in marking contests don't count but you're right he only got 7 possessions on the weekend. He's a spud. Delist.
Didn't mention about delisting him,Think people are being far to generous when it comes to his output in a game.

Back