Moved Thread Ben Griffiths Contract Discussion - SIgned

How much would you offer Griffiths per year (assume 2yr contract)?

• Lower

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 7 4.5%

Votes: 22 14.3%

Votes: 67 43.5%

Votes: 42 27.3%

Votes: 6 3.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Higher

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Trade

Votes: 5 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Just starting to hit his straps (7 touches on the weekend), who has been a fair bit of VFL this year etc.
I'd say a first rounder, for sure.

Auction, it would be.
Imagine if we offered up pick 5 for Griff.The Hampson trade/thread wouldn't have nothing on this one.lol

Didn't mention about delisting him,Think people are being far to generous when it comes to his output in a game.

Can't speak for others but I don't think I've been too generous. Don't think we should be offering the world to him but I think we should be doing everything within our powers to keep him. No one will offer a first round pick for him. Clubs rarely give up first round picks anymore unless they're swapping picks ie Melbourne & Dom Tyson.

If he leaves, it wont be for anything close to what he has the potential to become. Let's hope he signs this week and kicks a bag against the Swans (preferably he kick 9.8) :thumbsu:

Griff is never going to get 20 possessions. What he will do though is take 5 contested marks every game, provide a get out option on the wing and relieve in the ruck. His skill set is the rarest thing you can find in the afl, its purely a demand and supply equation.

Lets hope we sign him up quickly because the longer he remains unsigned the more currency he will have, and the more likely he will be to be tempted by the huge offers that will come.

Can't speak for others but I don't think I've been too generous. Don't think we should be offering the world to him but I think we should be doing everything within our powers to keep him. No one will offer a first round pick for him. Clubs rarely give up first round picks anymore unless they're swapping picks ie Melbourne & Dom Tyson.

If he leaves, it wont be for anything close to what he has the potential to become. Let's hope he signs this week and kicks a bag against the Swans (preferably he kick 9.8) :thumbsu:
Totally agree.

If he reaches his potential then yes we would be ripped off, but he may only ever be a good/average player with some elite traits.

Lions 1st rounder? Where do we sign? And fwiw, I want to keep him, but an early 1st rounder is a win IMO.
Since when is a first rounder guaranteed Of greatness and you normally have to wait years for em to b any real value I'd take griff every day of the week considering where our list is at the minute .

Who would you rather

Ben Griffiths
Jack Watts
NicNat

Watts has proven so much more than griffiths regardless of who he plays for. Nic Nat is an injury prone over rated but better than griffiths player. I'd take watts.

Griff is never going to get 20 possessions. What he will do though is take 5 contested marks every game, provide a get out option on the wing and relieve in the ruck. His skill set is the rarest thing you can find in the afl, its purely a demand and supply equation.

Lets hope we sign him up quickly because the longer he remains unsigned the more currency he will have, and the more likely he will be to be tempted by the huge offers that will come.
Hmm averages 1.6 contested marks per game this year. If it were 5 I'd sign him up to a lucrative contract.

Not worth more than 250k per year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmm averages 1.6 contested marks per game this year. If it were 5 I'd sign him up to a lucrative contract.

Not worth more than 250k per year.

yes I stand corrected, that is his average 1.6 contested marks per game.

Which makes him in the top 17 contested markers in the league, ahead of

Travis Cloke
John Patton
Nick Riewoldt
Kurt Tippett
Jarryd Roughead

and none of the above can kick 75m drop punt goals, and none of the above ruck as much as griff does either

Still reckon he isn't worth $250k?

yes I stand corrected, that is his average 1.6 contested marks per game.

Which makes him in the top 17 contested markers in the league, ahead of

Travis Cloke
John Patton
Nick Riewoldt
Kurt Tippett
Jarryd Roughead

and none of the above can kick 75m drop punt goals, and none of the above ruck as much as griff does either

Still reckon he isn't worth $250k?
Yes... Ridiculous argument.

Cloke gets triple griff a marks inside 50 ( where they are dangerous) and kicks more than double the goals of griffifths.

Roughead gets twice the amount of ball and kicks more than 3 times the goals.

And nick reiwoldt gets more than double the amount of touches as what griff gets and triple the goals.

Griff does 1-2 good things a game. Needs to get way more involved. Goes missing far too often for long patches.

Good potential but definitely behind vickery.

Last edited:

Cloke gets triple griff a marks inside 50 ( where they are dangerous) and kicks more than double the goals of griffifths.

And nick reiwoldt gets more than double the amount of touches as what griff gets and triple the goals.

Griff does 1-2 good things a game. Needs to get way more involved. Goes missing far too often for long patches.

Ridiculous argument.

Cloke plays a far deeper role for far longer in the forward line than Griffith's!

Roughead is not in the ruck these days so much and plays deeper and Reiwoldt is an all time forward great.

A fairer comparison would be Hale versus Griffiths! or even White at Collingwood a little

On what basis is he behind vickery?

how hes rank for average goals a game? griff needs to hit the score board more plain and simple he does that he passes vickery.. hes improved yes, but still needs to kick it where it counts. through the middle sticks
Well that comparison is a little unfair and even ridiculous. Griff has rucked and played down back much more than Vickery. So you cannot expect his goal average to be as good.

Well that comparison is a little unfair and even ridiculous. Griff has rucked and played down back much more than Vickery. So you cannot expect his goal average to be as good.
Griffiths plays just as much forward as Vickery does. The distinct difference between them is that one can mark kick-ins, the other one kicks goals. I know which type of player I'd prefer.
Vickery's averages since came back from VFL are (WCE, PORT, BRIS, STK)
11.5 Disposals
4.8 Marks
2.5 Goals
2.5 Tackles
Compare that to Griffiths last four games' averages are (GWS, ESS, ADEL, STK)
10.75 Disposals
6.25 Marks
1.25 Goals
.5 Tackles

The reason why I chose these past four games is a) This is the current form Vickery is in. His games earlier in the year are irrelevant. b) Same goes for Griffiths.

I'd say that the opposition is fairly even when you compare the four games.
By looking at these stats, you can see that Vickery simply impacts more. He averages double the amount of goals, 5 times as many tackles, and more disposals. Griffiths was always going to beat him in the marks category, but the value of marks just isn't as high as goals. Especially in expectedly wet conditions, how many will Benny actually stick?

You're forgetting one huge fact. Vickery has played 54 more games than Griffiths. On that basis alone he should be far further in front than what your stats say. You expect a guy who was fast tracked and gifted senior games and who is a year older to be far further ahead.
This why people are saying Griffiths has far more potential. He is close to Vickery despite this.

Ridiculous argument.

Cloke plays a far deeper role for far longer in the forward line than Griffith's!

Roughead is not in the ruck these days so much and plays deeper and Reiwoldt is an all time forward great.

A fairer comparison would be Hale versus Griffiths! or even White at Collingwood a little

That's my point... Did you read what this was in reply to???

The original poster compared griff to these players because he averages the same contested marks as them.

You're forgetting one huge fact. Vickery has played 54 more games than Griffiths. On that basis alone he should be far further in front than what your stats say. You expect a guy who was fast tracked and gifted senior games and who is a year older to be far further ahead.
This why people are saying Griffiths has far more potential. He is close to Vickery despite this.

You cannot claim Vickery was 'gifted games' in comparison to Griffiths. Vickery did more to earn most of his early games than Griffiths did - let's not forget Griffiths was rushed into the side immediately in his first and second years without having any VFL form on the board first. The difference between the two is that Griffiths didn't do enough to stay in the team after that, whereas Vickery had become an important part of the team by then.

People who can't see Griffs potential and say he has done bugger all have no idea.

Yes but the people who can see his potential and say he has done bugger all until the last 3 weeks or so are actually spot on.... I want him signed but not for stupid dollars. Give him an extended contract on slight overs.... If he wants to leave and be no part of Tigerland, then piss him off and get what we can.... no-one who doesn't want to be at RFC deserves to be there..

Gee I hope he wants to be here....

Back