Prediction Best 22 Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Armoooo

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Now that the trade period is out of the way I thought it would be a bit of fun to start a bit of a closet to the pin type competition to pick our Starting 22 for Round 1, 2016.
I know that there is still a lot of water to go under the bridge but I thought it might be fun if we have two separate nominations… one will be our original based on what we know now and the other we can change as players get drafted or delisted etc.
Maybe do lock out on the Monday ahead of the opening weekend of the season.
Scoring will work as follows:
  • you get 1 point for every player you named that makes the side
  • an additional point if you had them in the right general position (General Defender, Key Defender, Midfielder, Ruck, General Forward, Key Forward, Interchange, Emergency)
  • and then an additional point if you named them in the exact position they appear on the team sheet (Left back pocket, right forward flank etc.).
This mean’s the highest possible score you could get would be 75 points.
Should be interesting to see how our opinions change over the off-season, especially after some pre-season matches.

Original Effort (23 October 2015)
FB:
S.Dempster H.Goddard S.Fisher
HB: J.Webster J.Carlisle D.Roberton
C: J.Newnes L.Dunstan L.Montagna
HF: J.Billings N.Riewoldt T.Membrey
FF: M.Weller J.Bruce J.Lonie
R: B.Longer D.Armitage J.Steven
I/C: T.Hickey S.Savage S.Gilbert J.Sinclair
Emg: J.Geary S.Ross B.Acres

Most Recent Effort (9 November 2015)
FB:
S.Dempster H.Goddard J.Geary
HB: J.Webster S.Fisher D.Roberton
I/C: T.Hickey S.Savage S.Gilbert J.Sinclair
Emg: S.Ross B.Acres P.McCartin

Most Recent Changes
In:
J.Geary
Out: J.Carlisle

Last edited:
Geary - Carlisle - Goddard
Savage - Fisher - Roberton
Webster - Armitage - Freeman
Sinclair - Bruce - Steven
Hickey - Riewoldt - Lonie
Longer - Gilbert - Montagna
Weller - Dunstan - Dempster - Pick 14

Dempster Goddard Roberton
Savage Carlisle Gilbert
Webster Newnes Freeman
Billings Riewoldt Membrey
Lonie Bruce Weller
Longer Armitage Steven
Montagna Hickey Ross Dunstan

Acres and McKenzie - stiff
Fisher - backup
McCartin - Could slip in instead of Membrey
Sinclair and Templeton - Will be competing with Lonie or come in if second ruck not required

Geary Fisher Dempster
Roberton Carlisle Savage
Montagna Dunstan Newnes
Weller Riewoldt Billings
Lonie Bruce Hickey
Longer Armitage Steven
Webster Sinclair Gilbert Ross

Geary - Delaney - Carlisle
Dempster- Fisher - Roberton
Newnes- Armitage- Montagna
Billings- Riewoldt- Membrey
Lonie - Bruce - Weller
Longer- Dunstan- Steven
Acres Ross Goddard Savage

B: Dempster Carlisle* Webster
HB: Newnes Fisher Roberton
C: Savage Dunstan Montagna
HF: Billings Bruce Membrey
F: Lonie Riewoldt Sinclair
R: Longer Armo Steven
I: Weller, Hickey, Gilbert,

*Hopefully JC keeps his nose clean.

That was hard. Pretty confident this won't be close by the time March comes around.

Reality is McKenzie, Ross, Geary, Acres, Minch, Eli, Goddard, and McCartin can all lay claims to being in that round 1 side based off what we saw in 2015.

I think they'll slow burn Goddard and McCartin, more so Paddy, but I hope he gets 8-10 games with Riewoldt up on the wing so some sort of cohesiveness can begin to develop amongst our post nick forward 6.

There's going to be a surprise round 1 selection that none of us will have this far out, there always is. A preseason bolter, Pick 14, Rice perhaps.

Would like us to eventually to transition to a side that look similar to this toward the back end of the year:

B: Roberton, Goddard, Webster
HB: Newnes->Rice, Carlisle, Dempster->Gilbert
C: Savage, Dunstan, Riewoldt->Newnes
HF: Billings Bruce Membrey
F: Lonie McCartin Sinclair
R: Longer Steven Armo
Interchange from: Hickey, Weller, Montagna, Acres, McKenzie, Freeman, Ross, Wright etc take your pick

Riewoldt moved to the wing to allow development of the next forward line whilst he still has a presence, Fisher phased out, Dempster possibly too (if 2016 is his last year), Montagna to play off the bench ala Boomer.

So by Round 24 theres an obvious changing of the guard where the older guys are gradually reduced to bit part roles, as opposed to vital cogs which some are now (Fisher, Dempster, Riewoldt, Montagna).

Last edited:
B: Savage - Goddard - Dempster
HB: Geary - Carlisle - Fisher
C: Roberton - Armitage - Newnes
HF: Montagna - Riewoldt - Billings
F: Lonie - Bruce - McCartin
Foll: Longer - Steven - Weller
Int: Dunstan - Gilbert - Sinclair - Freeman
Emg: Hickey - Webster - Acres
Hardest one was leaving Webster out. Can easily be swapped with Savage if form waivers.
Didnt think it would be this hard to pick a starting 22. Good luck to the coaching panel come round 1 2016.

I'm going to subvert the Best 22 theme and have a crack at the NAB XXII...

FB: Lee - Goddard - Wright
HB: Shenton - Carlisle - Webster
RK: Holmes - Freeman - Minchington
CR: McKenzie - Acres - Roberton
HF: Murdoch - Bruce - Sinclair
FF: Lonie - McCartin - Membrey
IC: Ray Saunders Curren Rice Longer Templeton Dunstan Ross

Round 1 2016 side:

FB: Dempster, Carlisle, Geary
HB: Roberton, Fisher, Webster
C: Newnes, Armitage, Montagna
HF: Billings, Roo, Weller
FF: Lonie, Bruce, Membrey
R: Longer, Dunstan, Steven
I: Hickey, Gilbert, Savage, Sinclair

Close:
Talls: Goddard, McCartin
Smalls: Freeman, Acres, McKenzie, Ross

Original Effort (23 October 2015)
FB:
I/C: T.Hickey S.Savage S.Gilbert J.Lonie

Most Recent Effort (23 October 2015)
FB:
I/C: T.Hickey S.Savage S.Gilbert J.Lonie

Most Recent Changes
In:
----
Out: ---

We drafting another Lonie this year?

Now that the trade period is out of the way I thought it would be a bit of fun to start a bit of a closet to the pin type competition to pick our Starting 22 for Round 1, 2016.
I know that there is still a lot of water to go under the bridge but I thought it might be fun if we have two separate nominations… one will be our original based on what we know now and the other we can change as players get drafted or delisted etc.
Maybe do lock out on the Monday ahead of the opening weekend of the season.
Scoring will work as follows:
  • you get 1 point for every player you named that makes the side
  • an additional point if you had them in the right general position (General Defender, Key Defender, Midfielder, Ruck, General Forward, Key Forward, Interchange, Emergency)
  • and then an additional point if you named them in the exact position they appear on the team sheet (Left back pocket, right forward flank etc.).
This mean’s the highest possible score you could get would be 75 points.
Should be interesting to see how our opinions change over the off-season, especially after some pre-season matches.

This is a great concept, & 2016 rd 1 will see a few regulars miss out.
No Geary & Gilbert as both are costly with ball, & find themselves in the stands. If we don't develop into better users of the pill, we'll struggle to win 6 games. Understandably there are a number of areas we need to work on in the pre-season, which relate to skill & maintaining possession when on the offence. Roo, Bruce, Carlisle, Hickey, Membrey, Goddard & Longer won't be easy to match up if all are up & about for Rd 1, stretching opposition sides in the air. Webster, Savage, Robbo, Freeman, Steven, Minch, McKenzie, Joey & Lonie offer run, & the ability to hit targets up the ground. Armo took his game to another level in 2015, & next year 3rd yr players, Acres, Dunstan, & Meatball will be instructed to win more of their own ball. If Billings can muster 20 games in good nick, we're a 3-4 goal better side. No reason why we can't win 8-10 games next year, with the favourable draw we'll receive. Interested if we'll see the players we've earmarked in our best 22 at our next tilt, receive more game time. Well on our way back up the ladder, with the list for 2016 we've gradually built.

B: Dempster, Goddard, Webster
HB: Savage, Carlisle, Newnes
C: Freeman, Armitage, Roberton
HF: Membrey, Riewoldt, Billings
FF: Lonie, Bruce, Weller,
R: Longer, Steven, Dunstan
Int: Hickey, Montagna, Minchington, McKenzie
EM: Ross, Acres, McCartin, Sinclair, (Pick 14), Wright, Rice, Holmes, Pierce, Lee, Geary, Gilbert, Fisher, Delaney, Templeton, Murdoch, Saunders, Shenton,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saints

Webster Fisher Roberton
Savage Carlisle Dempster
Newnes Armo Monty
Membrey Rooey Weller
Lonie Bruce Billings
Longer Steven Dunston

Hickey Sinclair Geary Ross

Sandy

Rice Delany Lee
Wright Goddard Shenton
Acres Minchi Freeman
Templeton Payne Murdoch
Saunders McCartin Pierce
Holmes McKenzie Curren

If there are no injury worries, Sandy would start to look fairly strong. Add in Jones, Le Grice etc.

Saints

Webster Fisher Roberton
Savage Carlisle Dempster
Newnes Armo Monty
Membrey Rooey Weller
Lonie Bruce Billings
Longer Steven Dunston

Hickey Sinclair Geary Ross

Sandy

Rice Delany Lee
Wright Goddard Shenton
Acres Minchi Freeman
Templeton Payne Murdoch
Saunders McCartin Pierce
Holmes McKenzie Curren

If there are no injury worries, Sandy would start to look fairly strong. Add in Jones, Le Grice etc.
Gilbert doesn't even make the vfl team :/

Few points: All of which are my personal opinion
-Acres will have a breakout year
-Geary's and Gilbert poor foot skills will get exposed
-Newnes move back into defence where he excelled the year before

FB: Dempster - Goddard - Fisher
HB: Newnes - Carlisle - Roberton
C: Savage - Dustan - Webster
HF: Billings - Roo - Freeman
FF: Lonie - Bruce - Sinclair
R: Longer - Armo - Steven
Int: Acres, Hickey, Joey, Weller
Emg: Geary, Templeton, Ross, Gilbert, McKenzie

If you are right and Gilbo and Geary don't get a game then that would suggest the side is improving. I still think Gilbo gets a game, certainly next season.

This is not my ideal best 22 because it is leaving out some blokes I would personally want to get some development into blokes such as Acres, Freeman & Membrey. However, if we are talking what is the best team we could construct for round 1 I feel that we would probably go with something like this:

Dempster Goddard Geary
Fisher Carlisle Newnes
Roberton Dunstan Montagna
Sinclair Riewoldt Billings
Lonie Bruce Hickey

Longer, Steven, Armo

I/C: Gilbert, Weller, Webster, Savage

Fisher to leave the monsters to Goddard and Carlisle and revert back to more of a third man up running role. I am of the opinion they will want to get games into Goddard, and feel that he is more physically advanced that McCartin. I am predicting that Goddard is going to be a beast by the end of this pre-season he has the natural frame for it.

Think we will have to go in with 2 rucks initially, although if this is ineffective can see this changing at some ponit. Gilbert to play predominately through the middle to give us a bigger body and better tackling pressure around the ball.

Concerned there many not be enough pace in that back line, but the intercept marking would be off the charts. Dempster, Fisher, Carlisle all suburb readers of the ball in flight. Also, Webster and Savage would be rotating through the back flanks also so this should provide extra run.

Looks like a pretty damn good side to me. Even better when you think we will have on the sidelines:

McCartin, Ross, Membrey, Freeman, Acres, McKenzie, Minchington, Delaney, pick 14, Murdoch, Templeton, Wright & Lee.

B: Roberton Goddard Savage
HB: Newnes Carlisle Dempster
C: Riewoldt Dunstan Montagna
HF: Membrey Bruce Billings
F: Sinclair McCartin Lonie
R: Longer Steven Armitage
I/C: Hickey Geary Weller Webster

Firstly, my side is far too tall I can see. I highly doubt we'll see all of Carlisle, Hickey, Longer, Riewoldt, Bruce, Membrey, McCartin and Goddard in the same side, but it's very hard to get the balance between getting games into youngsters and utilising experience right. I would love to see Membrey get more consistent game time along with Hickey and McCartin, but it just won't happen barring injuries, which we really don't want. Also, I'm keen to see Pierce get a few games at some point.

McKenzie, Minchington, Ross, Gilbert, Freeman, Acres and Fisher will all be hard to leave out when fit and provided - particularly in Minchi's case - their VFL form remains up to scratch. Some will certainly be picked ahead if a few in my 22 I'm sure. I'll be watching Acres closely, as I don't rate him as highly as most at thus point in time, so hoping I can see his potential for myself. Freemab could easily become best 22 straight away but is a bit of an unkown quantity for now.

Wright, Templeton, Curren and Holmes I'm yet to make up my mind about, and with some improvement could definitely earn a spot going forward.

Heard good things and seen bits and pieces of Payne and Pierce, hopefully they get a chance to eventually show what they've got.

Happy to be proven wrong on a couple of these but I don't see Shenton, Lee, Murdoch, Saad, Delaney, Ray or Saunders being in the mix going forward.

Still pick 14 and Rice to factor in, and we're starting to show some real depth. Exciting times!

I'm going to stand up for Gears and Newnes. Newnes was played more as a winger this year and after a slow start ended the season flying he's finished our third highest marker after Rooey and Dempster, was 4th in disposals, 5th in kicks, 4th in hbs, 4th in tackles and third in fantasy footy scores. He is just so even in everything he does without being flashy he gets over looked. Gears will keep playing as long as he keeps putting in the way he does. In a better team his disposal will be less pressured and he will have more runners to dish off to.

FB: Dempster Carlisle Fisher
HB: Geary Goddard Roberton
C: Webster Dunstan Newnes
HF: Billings Roo Montagna
FF: Lonie Bruce Hickey

R: Longer Armo Steven

Int: Savage Gilbo Weller Sinclair

By the end of the year I'd expect to see McKenzie and Acres in for Geary and Fisher and McCartin to eventually find his way into the team. Goddard was best 22 by the end of the season and it's not like he's going to go backwards.

Hickey vs Membrey is going to be an awkward one because I think we'll stick with just the three talls.

Gilbert has his knockers but when fit (yeah I know) he's automatic best 22.

Geary Fisher Dempster
Savage Carlisle Roberton
Webster Armitage Newnes
Longer Steven Montagna
Billings Riewoldt Weller
Membrey Bruce Lonie

Dunstan, Acres, Mckenzie, Gilbert

Mccartin and Goddard to find form in VFL first. Hickey and Sinclair unlucky. Also Freeman. Forgot Freeman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back