Remove this Banner Ad

B. Webster Howard Wilkie

H.B. Coffield Battle Synclair

C. Hill Jones NWM

H.F. Butler Wood Gresh

F. Memberey Higgins Owens

Foll. Marshall Steele Crouch

I/C. Ross, Stocker, Windy, Clarke, Hoghmore
You're on the money with Higgo, coz early last season there were a few commentator's, saying that he was playing a full-forward role.

You're on the money with Higgo, coz early last season there were a few commentator's, saying that he was playing a full-forward role.
My prediction is Ross will go with proven goal kickers so that means you won't get picked just becaue you are tall hence why I can't see Sharman being picked out of pure desperation....it's not how Ross rolls. Having said that he has the practice matches to prove he's come a long way since his last 2 games in the forward line which were shockers.

My prediction is Ross will go with proven goal kickers so that means you won't get picked just becaue you are tall hence why I can't see Sharman being picked out of pure desperation....it's not how Ross rolls. Having said that he has the practice matches to prove he's come a long way since his last 2 games in the forward line which were shockers.
Sharman is a 'dead eye dick' though, when he gets it. I'II back him in, on his late 2021 form. Him, Membrey & Wood are all good set shots. Owens more the snapper. Phillipou can bomb it very long. Will be interesting come Round 1, as to what our actual forward set-up will be.

Sharman is a 'dead eye dick' though, when he gets it. I'II back him in, on his late 2021 form. Him, Membrey & Wood are all good set shots. Owens more the snapper. Phillipou can bomb it very long. Will be interesting come Round 1, as to what our actual forward set-up will be.
You need a whole lot more tricks in the bag than being a good mark and an accurate kick. His greatest weakness is his defence which is why oppos scored at will from our F50 entries, for an illustration go and review his first 2 games of 2022. The opposition didn't have any Intel on him in his first few games of 2021 however once they realised he had the turning circle of the titanic and inability to defend he struggled at AFL level. So shut down the space in front of him and/or not deliver it with adccuracy exactly into that space if it exists and that's his one wood gone. His fitness has improved but agility and ability to lock the ball in and stop a score on the turnover is weak.

You need a whole lot more tricks in the bag than being a good mark and an accurate kick. His greatest weakness is his defence which is why oppos scored at will from our F50 entries, for an illustration go and review his first 2 games of 2022. The opposition didn't have any Intel on him in his first few games of 2021 however once they realised he had the turning circle of the titanic and inability to defend he struggled at AFL level. So shut down the space in front of him and/or not deliver it with adccuracy exactly into that space if it exists and that's his one wood gone. His fitness has improved but agility and ability to lock the ball in and stop a score on the turnover is weak.
Quick on the lead, good leap, sticky hands & accurate set shot & 10 goals from four games, is what I saw at the end of 2021. Hope he can replicate it this season, would be handy.

Quick on the lead, good leap, sticky hands & accurate set shot & 10 goals from four games, is what I saw at the end of 2021. Hope he can replicate it this season, would be handy.
And the opposition not having any Intel on him and given him plenty of room to lead into space is what I saw and he looked like a rock star. Enter 2022 and opposition coaches worked out how to take away his one wood hence why he ended up as a defender.

And the opposition not having any Intel on him and given him plenty of room to lead into space is what I saw and he looked like a rock star. Enter 2022 and opposition coaches worked out how to take away his one wood hence why he ended up as a defender.
Seems unwise to give anyone space to lead into to be fair.

I think youre being a touch harsh, hes shown some chops and if hes having a great pre season and weve got no tall forwards (he is and we dont) then he would certainly be up the top end of the mix.

Seems unwise to give anyone space to lead into to be fair.

I think youre being a touch harsh, hes shown some chops and if hes having a great pre season and weve got no tall forwards (he is and we dont) then he would certainly be up the top end of the mix.
Let's see how he goes in the praccy match, at the moment I have Owens ahead of him.

I thought he ended up a defender, coz, we were happy with Hayes (briefly), King, Membrey & Wood (occasionally) & we didn't have Howard for a time. And Joyce wasn't the answer down back & even Highmore.

I thought he ended up a defender, coz, we were happy with Hayes (briefly), King, Membrey & Wood (occasionally) & we didn't have Howard for a time. And Joyce wasn't the answer down back & even Highmore.
Nup. He ended up playing in defence becaue of injury decimating our backline and there being absolutely nobody left at Sandy with AFL capabilities except Sharman and at that stage he was even struggling to get a touch at VFL level. That's how desperate things were at that stage of the season however as it turned out he didn't completely embarrass himself and gained some valuable AFL experience that hopefully holds him in good stead for the remainder of his development

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trying to get into RTB's head???
Round 1 Team

B. Paton Howard Webster

H.B. Sinclair Wilkie NWM

C. Hill Gresham McKenzie

H.F. Windhager Battle Wood

F. Butler Membrey Higgins

I/C. Clark, Coffield, Jones, Ross, Owens-sub

Emerg. Billings, Cordy, Sharman

Round 1 Team

B. Paton Howard Webster

H.B. Sinclair Wilkie NWM

C. Hill Gresham McKenzie

That wouldn’t be a bad team considering all of the injuries

Round 1 Team

B. Paton Howard Webster

H.B. Sinclair Wilkie NWM

C. Hill Gresham McKenzie

Too light on for key position players

Round 1 Team

B. Paton Howard Webster

H.B. Sinclair Wilkie NWM

C. Hill Gresham McKenzie

Backs are typically a low rotation position, and there are plenty of mids who can rotate through there, Ross, Jones , Clark, so I'd be inclined to have Owens on the bench instead of Coffield.

Backs are typically a low rotation position, and there are plenty of mids who can rotate through there, Ross, Jones , Clark, so I'd be inclined to have Owens on the bench instead of Coffield.
There's a chance Coffield won't be ready enough, so yeah, Owens in.
15 players 25y.o+, so I went for experience over key-position especially, which Lyon tends to prefer?
And Cordy would be a chance in the 23 also.
And Coffield's intercept marking was sorely missed last season, I feel.

Last edited:
There's a chance Coffield won't be ready enough, so yeah, Owens in.
15 players 25y.o+, so I went for experience over key-position especially, which Lyon tends to prefer?
And Cordy would be a chance in the 23 also.
And Coffield's intercept marking was sorely missed last season, I feel.
It's a very different style of team that clubs seem to be heading

The key position players are as important as ever and most clubs seem to be looking at 2 ruck options.

Geelong had 3 players at 194 plus in defence last year as well as Stewart.

They then had Stanley rucking with Blivcas and Cameron/Hawkins forward.

Sydney were very similar.

We'd get torn apart in the air with a side like that I reckon.

Too light on for key position players
Battle is looking to be played where he played last year by the looks being in the defensive group.
Having Sharman , Membery as our key forwards will work with the others like Higgins , Butler , Owens , Billings and no doubt Wood will have a run in the forward line as well.

It all comes down to ball delivery - if the midfielders can deliver.

A bonus this year will be Marshall back playing where he belongs - if he has a good year watch out.
The 2nd half of the year will be telling - having King and Hayes back playing will cause problems for most teams.

It's a very different style of team that clubs seem to be heading

The key position players are as important as ever and most clubs seem to be looking at 2 ruck options.

Geelong had 3 players at 194 plus in defence last year as well as Stewart.

They then had Stanley rucking with Blivcas and Cameron/Hawkins forward.

Sydney were very similar.

We'd get torn apart in the air with a side like that I reckon.
Yeah agree, most likely. But wouldn't put Key position player's in there, just to replace Hayes & King, who are gonna be big losses early, either way.

And I got a theory, bombing it into the forward line, is so wrong. Like kids trying to kick it as far as they can.
Zac Jones is often maligned because of his scrubby kicking, but if our ground forwards know that, then its easier for them to swoop in, because the oppo. backmen are panicking, where is it going??? Better avenue to goal me thinks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back