Vic Best and worst areas of Melbourne?

Remove this Banner Ad

Some wonderful characters seem to hang out in the vicinity of the station, though.

Can not wait til they knock that thing down. A young bloke I knew got stanley knifed up by junkies there on the way home and nearly died a few years back. Looked for the article and only found these gems from... oh a few weeks ago.

Last month in Ringwood:

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/m...g-schoolgirl-in-ringwood-20140909-10ei6x.html

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...ldup-in-ringwood/story-fni0fee2-1227044123973

If you're talking about being boring middle class like most of us here, I really reckon Moonee Ponds is underrated. Nice, quaint place, some alright looking architecture and there almost no arseclowns in the area. Not too expensive either for a joint 8, 10 minutes from the city. I know a heap of people in Coburg too, seems the neuw Northcaaht, maaaaahn

If you're talking about being boring middle class like most of us here, I really reckon Moonee Ponds is underrated. Nice, quaint place, some alright looking architecture and there almost no arseclowns in the area. Not too expensive either for a joint 8, 10 minutes from the city. I know a heap of people in Coburg too, seems the neuw Northcaaht, maaaaahn

Coburg and Footscray are the new cool suburbs.

MP is great because of how close it is to everything imo

MP is not too expensive for how close it is to the city, but trying to get a little average 3 bedroom place for under $800k is near impossible

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wine? They have some ripping rouge in particular. They don't really have spirits though, oddly enough.

The Globe's parma is indeed very good. The bar across the road from the Globe, Strangeloves Wine Bar, is a little ripper of a place too. Not as many ridiculous beers, but many wines and also a fine selection of Scotches in particular.
The valley cedar door is hall street is better imo.
The globes food is too hit and miss, it's either awesome or cold. Instead of the globe go to San Lorenzo next door and get yourself a calzone and a bottle of the Sensi Sangiovese red wine

I live in Pascoe Vale and it's pretty much perfect.

You're right next door to Sydney Road, etc if you want the cafe/restaurant/bar scene, but the suburb itself is very quiet and residential.
Also right next door to Essendon/Strathmore if you prefer a more mellow, finer dining experience.....
Big houses on big blocks and still at a reasonable price....you're not paying $700,000 plus for a postage stamp like Brunswick or Coburg
Close to the city, easy access to the Tulla or by train.
Close to the airport.
Good demographic, mostly families, young professionals, or little old Italian ladies.

It seems to get lumped in with Fawkner and Glenroy, but it's quite a middle-class area. A real hidden gem.

I'm with you MisterMarcus. A western suburbs refugee, moved to Paco about 4 years ago and I love it. We've got 2 of the best cafe's around near the station.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/71/1560895/restaurant/Melbourne/Ferrovia-Deli-Fine-Foods-Pascoe-Vale

Danny's a great bloke, quality customer service and good grub and coffee. Just around the corner is a french cafe, ru

Easily my fave suburb :thumbsu:

Footscray, Yarraville are where hipsters turn 33 and bring up little Jasper and Evie.

But hey, every suburb is full of arsehats of some kind. You just have to ensure they're young professionals and pricks whose worst crimes are sockless brogues and Ned Kelly beards rather than domestic violence and drug and child abuse.

Moonee Ponds is where I would live if I could afford it. +1 for the Cellar Door and the amount of ridiculously good looking people shopping at the supermarket alone is reason enough for the exy prices.

Yarraville is a beautiful suburb visually. It's just tidy rows of weatherboards and trees. Plus the pubs and shops look barely renovated since the 80s, love going past there and Seddon on the V-Line.

Footscray (between the station and the river) very underrated - the Reverence is a cracking pub too.

Worst place in Melbourne: King St, without doubt. Especially on a Friday or Saturday night.

The valley cedar door is hall street is better imo.
The globes food is too hit and miss, it's either awesome or cold. Instead of the globe go to San Lorenzo next door and get yourself a calzone and a bottle of the Sensi Sangiovese red wine
Had the pizzas from Valley Cellar Door?

Bloody good- and a decent size for the price you pay ($12).

Footscray (between the station and the river) very underrated - the Reverence is a cracking pub too.

Worst place in Melbourne: King St, without doubt. Especially on a Friday or Saturday night.
Agree on the rev. They have martial arts trivia tonight

Footscray, Yarraville are where hipsters turn 33 and bring up little Jasper and Evie.

But hey, every suburb is full of arsehats of some kind. You just have to ensure they're young professionals and pricks whose worst crimes are sockless brogues and Ned Kelly beards rather than domestic violence and drug and child abuse.

I think this puts people's objections to "hipsters" in general into pretty good perspective. When you think about it, they're not that bad, really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back