FTA-TV Big Brother 2014 - Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy-Clapping-To-Dramatic-WTF-Reaction-GIf.gif

HHH-Angry.gif

I've never understood wrestling....

What's to understand? Showcases athleticism, strength, acting ability combined to make an entertainment package. Some are real wrestlers with technical know how, some are power lifters there to impress with how much they can lift and throw around, some are high flyers who can pull of all sorts of gymnastics moves. It's scripted but things go wrong and a lot of injuries are real. You're dealing with strong guys with egos so a lot don't get along so while a result might be scripted, the animosity sometimes isn't.

It's an athletic soap opera that serves up heroes and villains or the transcendent anti-heroes.

It's harmless to watch it ... just never buy into the notion that any of it is real. Those people are tragic.

What's to understand? Showcases athleticism, strength, acting ability combined to make an entertainment package. Some are real wrestlers with technical know how, some are power lifters there to impress with how much they can lift and throw around, some are high flyers who can pull of all sorts of gymnastics moves. It's scripted but things go wrong and a lot of injuries are real. You're dealing with strong guys with egos so a lot don't get along so while a result might be scripted, the animosity sometimes isn't.

It's an athletic soap opera that serves up heroes and villains or the transcendent anti-heroes.

It's harmless to watch it ... just never buy into the notion that any of it is real. Those people are tragic.
Yeah obviously they're great athletes and bloody strong, but I can get that elsewhere (not that I'm really into "strength" sports). And I'd question the acting ability part, the acting is what makes it cringeworthy for me in the first place.

I remember all my mates in school were so into it back in the Rock and Stone Cold days, I just tuned out when it was the topic of conversation. And what was with that sock dude back then?

Yeah obviously they're great athletes and bloody strong, but I can get that elsewhere (not that I'm really into "strength" sports). And I'd question the acting ability part, the acting is what makes it cringeworthy for me in the first place.

I remember all my mates in school were so into it back in the Rock and Stone Cold days, I just tuned out when it was the topic of conversation. And what was with that sock dude back then?

By acting ability, I don't mean they all have acting ability. Older viewers enjoy picking apart how bad someone is on the mic or how they won't 'sell' a move to make it look real. So it also showcases bad acting ability. Some are fantastic on the mic and their characters are believable.

The sock guy was Mankind aka Cactus Jack aka Mick Foley. Mick had neither power, athleticism or gymnastic ability. He was more the relatable every day guy who was basically a stunt man. Could take a punch or pull off a huge fall or take a chair shot or barbed wire to the face back in the extreme sort of days. Professional bleeder when it wasn't PG. Had cult hero status and known for putting others over as genuine wrestlers and working a match so it seemed real.

The sock was part of his signature mandible claw move. It's a legitimate move which does cause great pain if used properly. He used the sock because his character Mankind was an odd character and it added to the 'gross' factor.

It's still real to me damn it!

By acting ability, I don't mean they all have acting ability. Older viewers enjoy picking apart how bad someone is on the mic or how they won't 'sell' a move to make it look real. So it also showcases bad acting ability. Some are fantastic on the mic and their characters are believable.

The sock guy was Mankind aka Cactus Jack aka Mick Foley. Mick had neither power, athleticism or gymnastic ability. He was more the relatable every day guy who was basically a stunt man. Could take a punch or pull off a huge fall or take a chair shot or barbed wire to the face back in the extreme sort of days. Professional bleeder when it wasn't PG. Had cult hero status and known for putting others over as genuine wrestlers and working a match so it seemed real.

The sock was part of his signature mandible claw move. It's a legitimate move which does cause great pain if used properly. He used the sock because his character Mankind was an odd character and it added to the 'gross' factor.

3100003281_1_3_ml9B03nm.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Add to that list; all forms of Rugby, cars, golf (well i guess i understand golf, just don't like it) oh chess is another one. Have had people try and teach me that a few times. Nope, not gonna happen. :$

So no wrestling
no golf

#Shellhaslosttheplot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back