Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And we are allowed to have opinions on them ... just as you are allowed to have an opinion on us having an opinion on them .... and we are allowed to have an opinion on you having an opinion on us having an opinion on them ... and you are .... ah never mind.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

So that's your opinion. Is that all you've got! :p

Sent from the comfort of my couch

Fairly harsh and unfair article towards Thomas, especially at this early stage. It feels like this article was written 20 years ago and the name has been changed from Mick McGuane. Let the guy finish his time and then judge, almost as bad as Gary Lyons article re Judd picking the wrong club. Seriously, why can't these journos write about the game instead of what they think the publics perception is of a bloke.

Whether we've made the right call or not is still to be decided, my personal opinion is that we've paid overs for him, but his effort on the field is good and if he keeps performing the fans and the kids will follow, have already noticed a few # 39's at the games so good luck to him.

King does not belong in the media. He actually slipped up during the game and praised us, he was grinding his teeth. My son and I nearly fell of our chairs.

Go back to last years game against NM where we won by a point, listen to the commentary of the game and read the media articles, you would think they had won by 10 goals, 4 of the 5 best players were from NM and Thomas was best afield for his 10 possession game where he did kick 6 but 3 of them were soft over the top handpasses???

And we are allowed to have opinions on them ... just as you are allowed to have an opinion on us having an opinion on them .... and we are allowed to have an opinion on you having an opinion on us having an opinion on them ... and you are .... ah never mind.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
yes i agree, but the incessant bleating is very un carlton like

Pfft, a little bit of passion and a slap back at the media hurts nobody. Not sure where this idea we have to accept every decision, accept every opinion and be good model citizens comes from. Supporters are rowdy, they are defensive, they are biased.

Also, while they are attacking somebody else, they aren't attacking each other. #UNITED ;)

Pfft, a little bit of passion and a slap back at the media hurts nobody. Not sure where this idea we have to accept every decision, accept every opinion and be good model citizens comes from. Supporters are rowdy, they are defensive, they are biased.

Also, while they are attacking somebody else, they aren't attacking each other. #UNITED ;)

some of the whining has been over the top,

the way people were bagging the commentary team after the game? give me a spell

haha it was ridiculous, I dislike dwayne too, but people were reading way too much into it

haha it was ridiculous, I dislike dwayne too, but people were reading way too much into it

Maybe, maybe not. He doesn't appear to be one to give too much credit to Carlton when it is due, so they are entitled to that opinion. David King is possibly even worse.

Live and let live. Who are they hurting? Let Dwayne or his friends and family come on to defend his commentary.

Saw a 'Carlton wants to move back to Princess Park' thread on the main board, thought there was something new in the news about it, got all excited.

But alas it's a thread bumped from 09. :(

Same. But I was a mix of exciting and rolling my eyes that people still don't understand that it's Princes.
I'd love to see games there again but I doubt it will ever happen :(

The commentary thing is annoying, and has been for years. It's not that they blatantly bag Carlton (which I must admit, was what I expected after reading the game-day thread before watching the replay) it's the subtle little ways that the commentary is biased against us.

A classic case was the Gibbs round-the-body helicopter kick that went into the forward line for an easy chest mark to Hendo. All the commentators wanted to talk about was the fact that Hendo's opponent misread the ball coming in. Not a single mention of the fact that Hendo read it well enough to stay back a bit and take it on the chest.

It's a subtle thing, but over time it builds up.

A Carlton player takes an easy mark because their opponent misreads it, "the opponent is bad", not "the Carlton player is good".
A Carlton player goes in hard for ball draws a free, "he was lucky there", not, "well done, he put his head over the ball and earned that one".
A Carlton defender makes a great spoil with some incidental contact "oooh, that one could have been over the shoulder, lucky not to give away the free".
etc etc ...

Granted, not all commentators do it, but the majority of them do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The commentary thing is annoying, and has been for years. It's not that they blatantly bag Carlton (which I must admit, was what I expected after reading the game-day thread before watching the replay) it's the subtle little ways that the commentary is biased against us.

It shouldn't matter to us, but like all supporters you like the AFL community to validate the good you do. I always look for something positive in the media towards our team.

We probably do hear the instances they do it to us more than other teams as we are attuned to anything about our own team. A good indicator is how disproportionate the ill will towards Carlton on football forums is, compared to most other teams. If garden variety supporters trying to remain neutral tend to be negative about us, then that prevailing feeling has to seep into the media as well. We are not a well liked club outside of our own supporter base. Collingwood are the same but that doesn't translate to the media, maybe because of Eddie.

It does strengthen the resolve to show them up, but the supporters can't do that, only the team.

My overall feeling is that Carlton never win games on our own merit according to outsiders. It is always on the opposition's shoulders. Yet when we lose, the superlatives about the opposition come thick and fast and they are just better than us. The only exception was the Melbourne loss where the focus was on how bad Carlton were, rather than Melbourne.

It shouldn't matter to us, but like all supporters you like the AFL community to validate the good you do. I always look for something positive in the media towards our team.

We probably do hear the instances they do it to us more than other teams as we are attuned to anything about our own team. A good indicator is how disproportionate the ill will towards Carlton on football forums is, compared to most other teams. If garden variety supporters trying to remain neutral tend to be negative about us, then that prevailing feeling has to seep into the media as well. We are not a well liked club outside of our own supporter base. Collingwood are the same but that doesn't translate to the media, maybe because of Eddie.

It does strengthen the resolve to show them up, but the supporters can't do that, only the team.

My overall feeling is that Carlton never win games on our own merit according to outsiders. It is always on the opposition's shoulders. Yet when we lose, the superlatives about the opposition come thick and fast and they are just better than us. The only exception was the Melbourne loss where the focus was on how bad Carlton were, rather than Melbourne.

It's probably a generational thing. Most of the people in the media today grew up at the time that Carlton were at their arrogant best (worst?). So if they don't support Carlton, they're highly unlikely to have grown up with positive feelings toward the club.

I can honestly say that the Collingwood hatred for me diminished greatly when they spent a few years in the doldrums during the 80's and 90's. I missed having them up there to hate. It swung back a little with the appointment of Eddie Everywhere, but never really got back to the level I felt in the 70's.

Maybe the next generation of media folks will be more sympathetic toward Carlton becasue we sucked for so long :)

The club and the players have no credibility.

Everyone points to us being a big four club, big money backers, lots of high draft picks, great facilities and yet we still can't achieve any sort of sustained success. Add in a historical dislike for many of Carlton being a rich, blue blooded club who buys success and it makes the club an easy target.

Plus the club has been guilty of trading on it's successful history for too long now and that period is disappearing from view faster than the nearest galaxy.

Basically we'll just have to suck it up until the club develops and maintains a stable and successful off field business and the players bring consistent, winning on field results.

A classic case was the Gibbs round-the-body helicopter kick that went into the forward line for an easy chest mark to Hendo. All the commentators wanted to talk about was the fact that Hendo's opponent misread the ball coming in. Not a single mention of the fact that Hendo read it well enough to stay back a bit and take it on the chest.

It's a subtle thing, but over time it builds up.

A Carlton player takes an easy mark because their opponent misreads it, "the opponent is bad", not "the Carlton player is good".
A Carlton player goes in hard for ball draws a free, "he was lucky there", not, "well done, he put his head over the ball and earned that one".
A Carlton defender makes a great spoil with some incidental contact "oooh, that one could have been over the shoulder, lucky not to give away the free".
etc etc ...

Granted, not all commentators do it, but the majority of them do.

Der-wayne obviously doesn't like Kernahan (jealously from SA days, I presume). Loves to call any helicopter punt a "Sticks special". They're about the same age, and Adelaide is a small town, especially if your head is as large as Der-wayne.

Let's see how these two great SA products stack up:
Sticks: 251 games for Carlton, 738 goals (2 premierships)
Derwayne: 50 games for the Cats, 51 goals

Sticks' SA career also stomps all over him.

No wonder someone swallowed a bitter pill.

Agreed. Plenty of people need to realise that opinions really don't count for much and to date we haven't done anything worthy of any praise either.
I'd rather that the club and players get praised for things worthwhile rather than an endless stream of puff pieces.

I do agree with this. I watched the game a couple of days later expecting it to be much, much worse than it actually was based on the (over)reaction on this board.

Ok so they're not the biggest Carlton fans, but they did give plenty of credit where it was due, particularly towards the end of the game. Dunstall went against the others and defended/backed Carlton a couple of times too.

A lot of the 'barracking' that people perceive is just them barracking for the team that's behind because they want an exciting game, a close finish. In my experience this is pretty normal across most AFL games.

Ok so they're not the biggest Carlton fans, but they did give plenty of credit where it was due, particularly towards the end of the game.

That was mentioned in this thread already. Their horse isn't going to get up so the barracking stops and they try to square the ledger. I wonder how complimentary they would have been if it wasn't for our depleted bench and the gutsiness of the last quarter.

That was mentioned in this thread already. Their horse isn't going to get up so the barracking stops and they try to square the ledger. I wonder how complimentary they would have been if it wasn't for our depleted bench and the gutsiness of the last quarter.

They were barracking for the team that was behind because they wanted a thriller finish. I've seen this go down exactly the same way with the same group of guys for matches not involving Carlton. When it didn't happen because we had the balls to hold out against WB, they complemented us for it. Didn't really see much wrong with it tbh, but each to their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back