Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
'Miss Carlton' a Blueblood for life
She is a trove of club lore, a long memory in an age of short attention spans. For instance, she says the notion Carlton earned the tag "Cockies" because of its silver tail associations is poppycock, a recent myth. She met the actual inspiration.

"Carlton had a mascot and it was a cockatoo. This old gentleman used to bring his cocky and the cocky would sit on his shoulder and scream 'C'mon the Blues!'. Then he would say, 'Kick it to Soapy, kick it to Soapy'. Soapy was Soapy Valence, our great full forward."

When the cockatoo died he was buried in the goal square.

"Who does he think he is? Personally, I think the game has passed him by." And don't even start her on the "broken-down crock from Collingwood" Malthouse brought with him.
'Miss Carlton' a Blueblood for life

We've found 40yearBLUE. :eek:

lol Sam Lane ... as if anybody takes her seriously.

Any form of exposure to the industry she has received has come as a result of her well established and respected father.

She's a horrendous media performer when on camera also.

Any form of exposure to the industry she has received has come as a result of her well established and respected father.

I like her and I also find her quite attractive

I agree for now and it's not because I want to.
Maybe she's just a young person wanting to be relevant but not being accepted as such.

The article is also a little ordinary.
Set out to say something but fell over itself for all the words.
Maybe the editor hijacked the title again............See Dermott Brereton.

Tend to agree. Until we know what we stand for we will continue to go through the motions.

See below

Hmmm surely only a coincidence that this story is in the paper a week after being on the receiving end of MM's terse responses.
What the hell do the other clubs stand for?

She says we only have history. History is the only thing that matters (including the history of your last minute's performance) - all the rest is just talk.

Even sadder is Jake Niall having us lose Waite for zip

I find this whole 'stand for something' line to be extremely wanky.

Mission statements are just lengthy mottos. They don't always represent the product. Our lack of identity stems from a lack of success and failings on many fronts for 14 years or so. If we were winning and our membership was thriving, it wouldn't matter how we did business. Coach sacking would be seen as ruthless but successful.

You want our motto? Mens sana in corpore sano. Just because the mind isn't always healthy and the body it's in isn't always healthy, doesn't mean it is no longer our identity.

We came up with a 5 year plan. It isn't up yet but has failed dismally. I'm not sure how you only have an identity if you have a plan that succeeds. Maybe if our identity was 'strength through adversity', everybody could shut up.

The only salient point in that article was our seeming desire to throw money at things without any transparent assessment process and our lack of communication re working through development issues. We are still very much a closed book. 'We're the experts, you guys don't need to know.' It gives rise to the perception 'we are clueless, you guys don't need to know', and we fall either side of that line in the absence of knowing where we are truly placed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Old Dark Navy's funny how they want us to stand for something yet it is perfectly fine for a Essendon to stand for drug cheating, rehiring Hird etc.

Media are just enjoying being able to take the heat off Hirdy and the bombers and deflect it onto us.

Mick + Carlton was always going to be a perfect storm of external hate. As if people didn't hate us separately before we hired Mick.

I find this whole 'stand for something' line to be extremely wanky.

Mission statements are just lengthy mottos. They don't always represent the product. Our lack of identity stems from a lack of success and failings on many fronts for 14 years or so. If we were winning and our membership was thriving, it wouldn't matter how we did business. Coach sacking would be seen as ruthless but successful.

You want our motto? Mens sana in corpore sano. Just because the mind isn't always healthy and the body it's in isn't always healthy, doesn't mean it is no longer our identity.

We came up with a 5 year plan. It isn't up yet but has failed dismally. I'm not sure how you only have an identity if you have a plan that succeeds. Maybe if our identity was 'strength through adversity', everybody could shut up.

The only salient point in that article was our seeming desire to throw money at things without any transparent assessment process and our lack of communication re working through development issues. We are still very much a closed book. 'We're the experts, you guys don't need to know.' It gives rise to the perception 'we are clueless, you guys don't need to know', and we fall either side of that line in the absence of knowing where we are truly placed.

Yes and no but I do feel it may be somewhat of a subjective nature.

At the end of the day I think all clubs have now learned that transparency, inclusion, vibrancy, professionalism and success are all components of what a supporter wants. Fact will always be that some do it better than others and we have fallen behind in recent years.

We are Carlton blah blah blah, doesn't sell the message any more. It's dead.

If we were winning the media would make up something that we stand for. Because you can only win when you stand for something.

Also, I thought Sam would know that our motto is "navy blues" this year. It was "we are Carlton" in like 2011/2012.

Yes and no but I do feel it may be somewhat of a subjective nature.

At the end of the day I think all clubs have now learned that transparency, inclusion, vibrancy, professionalism and success are all components of what a supporter wants. Fact will always be that some do it better than others and we have fallen behind in recent years.

So what you stand for should be a blanket ... we stand for winning games unless we suck, winning flags one day we hope, acting with integrity unless an opportunity comes along that helps with the first two things ... for all clubs.

We are Carlton blah blah blah, doesn't sell the message any more. It's dead.

Meh, marketing slogans, nothing more, nothing less. We are Carlton is a 2-3 year campaign. We actually had a separate one this year. Let's take a look at the 2014 ones shall we?

Adelaide - We're ready to fly so get on board
Brisbane - Believe. Belong
Carlton - We are the navy blues
Collingwood - Side by side
Essendon - Don the sash
Fremantle - Own the moment
Geelong - #belonggeelong Be part of the greatest team of all
Gold Coast - Fire up
GWS - Stand tall
Hawthorn - Always Hawthorn
Melbourne - My heart beats true
North Melbourne - We will rise together
Port Adelaide - We are Port Adelaide
Richmond - Strong and bold, bring the roar home
St Kilda - More than a football club
Sydney - Proudly Sydney
West Coast - Our strength is you
Western Bulldogs - Gather the pack

Seriously, the only thing that makes some of these better than ours, is that they look better if members sign up or if you win games. I reckon we can be too harsh on our own club and too envious of others sometimes. Winners are grinners, losers get smashed on forums and social media for everything from haircuts to marketing slogans.

If we were winning the media would make up something that we stand for. Because you can only win when you stand for something.

Yes, you can only win when you stand for something and you can only stand for something when you win. What is the common theme?

You win, you are tenacious, you are spirited, you are united, you have a plan. You lose, the reverse is obviously true.

So what you stand for should be a blanket ... we stand for winning games unless we suck, winning flags one day we hope, acting with integrity unless an opportunity comes along that helps with the first two things ... for all clubs.

We're not talking about marketing slogans TODN. They come and go.
It's the perception of a club and is why I said that it is somewhat of a subjective nature.

Think of it from a point of view that if you didn't barrack for a team and wanted to, which one would you pick?
What are the selling points of The CFC right now?

Why would you choose Carlton over Hawthorn, Geelong, Collingwood, Western Bulldogs, Richmond etc.?

Looking from outside in, I don't see much appealing about the CFC and it has little to do with how many games we have won.
Our selling point is that we've won more Premierships than anyone else. Anything else?

We're not perceived to be inclusive, we're not a family club, we still seem to be arrogant (without cause for being so) ........So what are we?

Sam is a little flustered.

Really should have held the missiles back for another week or so. May have come out a little different then.
They covered the whole Mick thing again on the pregame coverage on seven again last night. Sam kept going on and on about she doesn't care what mick did to her (bull crap) and thinks what he did to ling was worse. Ling said he doesn't care. Yet Sam kept bringing it up every time ling and Richo tried to change the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back