Preview Changes/pre-match discussion v Collingwood (FINAL CHANGES: OUT: Wood/Jacobs IN: Brown/Swallow)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-29/sliding-doors-round-nine
Sliding Doors at afl.com.au...

IF
Malthouse hadn't blown things up at Carlton this week ...

THEN
... the media blowtorch would have been deservedly directed at Arden St. These are crucial times, and yet there seems only meandering, not urgency.

Spot on.

Does it really matter who we drop or who we bring in? If we can't get a decent enough standard from our core players and leadership group then shuffling around some fringe players who are borderline AFL standard isn't really going to be the magic tonic that is going to propel us to premiership glory.

The problem is with our core group of players and leaders.

I'm no massive Atley fan either A11, called for him to be dropped multiple times this year.

But he has played his best footy as rebounder or spare. You are also underrating his games when in better form, they were better than ordinary and more damaging than anything Jacobs has provided.

Thats why i said 'mostly ordinary'

We have all seen him play well and we want more. It doesnt look like happening this year though. Atley is a better footballer than Jacobs, i have no doubt about that, but he is regressing at a great rate of knots at present. Hopefully familiar surroundings sparks him into form, but imo he needs time in the magoos which Brad wont allow.

Does it really matter who we drop or who we bring in? If we can't get a decent enough standard from our core players and leadership group then shuffling around some fringe players who are borderline AFL standard isn't really going to be the magic tonic that is going to propel us to premiership glory.

The problem is with our core group of players and leaders.

Hit the nail on the head there, Tas. The selection policy allows players in the core group to perform below what should be an acceptable minimum standard. As long as they redeem themselves in the following week or two, all is well. They know they won't be dropped so the vicious cycle continues.

This has been Brad's approach for so long that (sadly) it is not going to change now.

Hit the nail on the head there, Tas. The selection policy allows players in the core group to perform below what should be an acceptable minimum standard. As long as they redeem themselves in the following week or two, all is well. They know they won't be dropped so the vicious cycle continues.

This has been Brad's approach for so long that (sadly) it is not going to change now.

But at least we dropped the appalling Mason Wood.

And that's the reason why we won't be challenging for a premiership. Scott has gone about addressing inconsistent players the wrong way. Do we even have a player who performs each and every week?

Claiming that posters who say Jacobs has been good are only looking at the stat sheet is just another in the long list of example of finding excuses to why he's been solid and dismissing his good form, only focusing on his errors and not his good things. It's endlessly amusing that so many complain that the likes of Harper, McKenzie, Atley and McDonald don't get the footy enough but when a bloke does get the footy who we don't like they're just dismissed as cheap possessions. The same posters also complain about double standards from the coaching staff, so there's a certain amount of hypocrisy in it as well. Jacobs positions himself smartly on the rebound and always offers an outlet through that clever positioning; it's hardly cheap stats and it's shows more footy nous than you can say about any of McDonalds or Atleys positioning. But I guess it doesn't matter because Atleys a bloke with pace who ran it out of the backline on an occassional basis about 18 months ago and McDonald's a treasured father son, not a Port reject who no one liked to begin with.

EDIT: Not sure that Jacobs was solely responsible for Walters last weekend either; not that the backline had any help from the midfield anyway.

Thats why i said 'mostly ordinary'

We have all seen him play well and we want more. It doesnt look like happening this year though. Atley is a better footballer than Jacobs, i have no doubt about that, but he is regressing at a great rate of knots at present. Hopefully familiar surroundings sparks him into form, but imo he needs time in the magoos which Brad wont allow.
No, Atley SHOULD be a better footballer than Jacobs. All evidence from this season points to the contrary.

And that's the reason why we won't be challenging for a premiership. Scott has gone about addressing inconsistent players the wrong way. Do we even have a player who performs each and every week?
Only a 37 year old does. Quite laughable really

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was certainly Goldy in the first 5 weeks, but with the last few dropping off, I would rate Spud and Wright as probably our two most consistent, reliable players this year.

Tarrant has been good, and hasn't put in a shocker since returning. JZ and Higgins have been reasonably solid and steady, as has Spitta. Benny Brown earns his keep every match he plays and LT puts in every week, even though a couple of games have been quietish. Dish has hit his straps in the last 3 games as has Harvey, who was also out of sorts early on. Oh and Dumont has done consistently well in both his games/quarters ;).

And sadly, that completes the pretty picture of North Melbourne circa 2015.

And the dark underbelly?

Missing Persons List at Arden St: Shaun Atley, Luke McDonald, Sam Gibson, Ben Cunnington, Aaron Black, Daniel Wells, Nick Dal Santo, Kayne Turner, Ryan Bastinac, Jamie MacMillan

Cold Cases at Arden St: Keiran Harper, Taylor Garner, Brad McKenzie, Majak Daw, Aaron Mullett, Nathan Grima

:cry:

People are pretty upset that Wood has been dropped as he's our new golden child, but lets face it if Daw, Black, Currie or Nahas had played games like he has in his last 2 people would be not only asking for them to be dropped but also delisted/executed gang style.

He will get dropped. His spot isn't safe, amazing prospect but theres work to be done yet, don't expect an overnight sensation.

People are pretty upset that Wood has been dropped as he's our new golden child, but lets face it if Daw, Black, Currie or Nahas had played games like he has in his last 2 people would be not only asking for them to be dropped but also delisted/executed gang style.

He will get dropped. His spot isn't safe, amazing prospect but theres work to be done yet, don't expect an overnight sensation.
Wood absolutely deserved and needed the kick up the proverbial by being dropped. I expect him to return in 3 or 4 games with the physical intent that was lacking. Sammy Wright has been down that path of demotion and benefitted. As has Cunners. All had psychological things to work through - confidence, intent, attitude, belief. Mason is in the same boat IMO. Butttt, so are Black and BMac. Hope Mason doesn't follow their lead.

Don't know why ppl rate Jacobs. Hesitates, collapses under pressure, and is flat footed when going on the offensive. on countless occasion i see him have the opportunity to run off his man and link up in the midfield but won't take the risk. pussy.

number of possies doesn't directly correlate with how useful a player is.

Don't know why ppl rate Jacobs. Hesitates, collapses under pressure, and is flat footed when going on the offensive. on countless occasion i see him have the opportunity to run off his man and link up in the midfield but won't take the risk. pussy.

number of possies doesn't directly correlate with how useful a player is.
Ability to get the ball is a very valuable skill in and of itself. If only all our supposedly 'talented' players had that ability.

The problem is this inconsistency, the cycle of perform one week, then give maybe an iffy performance and then a poor one, talking about as a collective rather than individuals. How long ago was Ziebell saying the poor performance wasn't indicative of our team, he can put that speech on a 2-3 week rinse and repeat cycle.

Our coaches just let inconsistency fly way too much, we passed it off as youth and left the bar too low and now we are consistently inconsistent.

The only solution is short-term pain and the supporters here wont really stomach it as a whole, those who can see the big picture can but those are few and far between. If Scott pulls the plug right now to fix glaring issues then he will be lucky to coach out the end of the season let alone see the end of his contract or get an extension.

He is obviously going to try and fix the problems on the fly and that is to attempt for them to execute without dropping the core players. I just don't know if it can be done that way, the evidence to date suggests it can't be done that way and mediocre teams that have improved haven't been successful doing it this way as far as I can recall.

Really hope Dumont gets a full game in this one.

It's a given if Swallow is out i'd suspect, but even if back in i'd like him be given a proper opportunity.

I don't care who is sub otherwise. Probably LMac would be deserving.

Ability to get the ball is a very valuable skill in and of itself. If only all our supposedly 'talented' players had that ability.

Getting out the back cheapies and back and fwd 20m s**t passes is not a valuable skill.

I'd take 15 touches in dangerous areas and penetrate over 25 nothing touches any day of the week.

Wood absolutely deserved and needed the kick up the proverbial by being dropped. I expect him to return in 3 or 4 games with the physical intent that was lacking. Sammy Wright has been down that path of demotion and benefitted. As has Cunners. All had psychological things to work through - confidence, intent, attitude, belief. Mason is in the same boat IMO. Butttt, so are Black and BMac. Hope Mason doesn't follow their lead.

The only thing similar about Wood and BMac is that they have both been demoted to VFL due to unacceptable effort/intent. I think the comparison ends there though B2B (and I know what you meant, i'm not criticizing).

I'm confident Wood will be a player and clearly has the tools and ability, and I agree that he will better for it. Maybe a few others might also have over the last couple of years......

The only thing similar about Wood and BMac is that they have both been demoted to VFL due to unacceptable effort/intent. I think the comparison ends there though B2B (and I know what you meant, i'm not criticizing).

I'm confident Wood will be a player and clearly has the tools and ability, and I agree that he will better for it. Maybe a few others might also have over the last couple of years......
Agree Saintly. In the Port game, Wood laid a few solid tackles and seemed to enjoy the hits, so I was a bit surprised to see him go soft against Freo. I think he will overcome this easily as he is a powerful boy and will soon discover what a weapon his frame can be. BMac has had plenty of time to work on this and he is now a big lad himself, so you have to wonder if he has the hunger. Hope to be proven wrong.

Sorry....I just fell into a dream of Wood and BMac on opposite wings, two big boys with raking left foot kicks, who tackle and tackle hard.....and then woke up again.

That pinpoint pass of BMac to Tarrant a few years ago ranks alongside the Urquhart chase and tackle as one of the more painful teases by a young player at North. I am resigned to the likelihood that we won't see it again. But at least feel confident Wood will make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back