Prediction Changes: Round 21 Vs Brisbane Lions + prematch discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Cox comes in for Hamling every day of week if he’s fully fit.

Gotta love when a player comes in and shows just a little bit, people try and find ways to move the team around just to fit that player in.

Three KPDs and Ryan won’t work. Cox as a forward is a waste of time as he’s going back to defence round one next year anyway.

If anything this can be Hamling’s farewell game and Cox can come back into the side next week.
I’d go with the 3 tbh.
Cox doesn’t do well v Hipwood or Daniher. Pearce needs the help.
Cox can just be the loose interceptor. He’s not ideal for one one one, particularly this year.

Gunston is always dangerous v Fremantle. Ryan on him isn’t confidence really.
Brisbane are ripe for the taking.

I’d go with the 3 tbh.
Cox can just be the loose interceptor. He’s not ideal for one one one, particularly this year.

That makes no sense. But ok.
On my point about 1v1s, Cox last year had a loss % of 23.4, and this year he is 19.6. From 3 contests a game both years. But you can't tell me with a straight face that Cox has been better this year at all.

Surface level stat in the same boat as disposal efficiency.

I hope Youngy does the tagging job on Lachie Neale

I’d go with the 3 tbh.

Ryan was on Cameron for most of yesterday, whilst Pearce was on Hawkins. Him playing on players that are 4-5cms taller than him does not concern me at all and never has.

What concerns me with Ryan is he doesn’t move the ball nearly well enough to be anything other than the third tall in our backline.

I dont think JL has received enough praise for this move. Moving the HBF into a midfield tagging role where he can hurt going the other way was a brilliant coaching move. I definitely want to see it happen again. Brisbane are extremely reliant on Neale to do the clearance heavy lifting in there

I dont think JL has received enough praise for this move. Moving the HBF into a midfield tagging role where he can hurt going the other way was a brilliant coaching move. I definitely want to see it happen again. Brisbane are extremely reliant on Neale to do the clearance heavy lifting in there
Have to also praise Wagner into stepping into the half back role. He’s been attacking and with purpose

Have to also praise Wagner into stepping into the half back role. He’s been attacking and with purpose
Yeah, I was way to harsh on him at Peel and given his age I didnt think there was any scope to improve from his last AFL game but his last 3 weeks have been very very good. Tackles with intent, strong body and moves the ball forward

Ryan was on Cameron for most of yesterday, whilst Pearce was on Hawkins. Him playing on players that are 4-5cms taller than him does not concern me at all and never has.

What concerns me with Ryan is he doesn’t move the ball nearly well enough to be anything other than the third tall in our backline.

He was much much better in this aspect yesterday. I think Wagner has brought a fresh run and dash to the team yesterday. It’s infectious.

No. I assume it was one of the moves he had planned for youngy going into next year. That, and the Wags and Clark changes have worked really well. I think Corbett did very well as a medium forward too and not just for the goals. I said I didn’t think there were any signs we’d made any changes to solve our problems before the cats game but these tweaks improved us heaps. Add Hamling gelling with the defensive unit and we’re so much more stable. If we beat the Lions, and the way that Port are playing at the moment, it keeps things interesting for the rest of the season.

I’ll stick with what I always say in this situation - for selection integrity and barring injury, you have to reward a performance like yesterday with an unchanged lineup. Not one player deserves to be benched following that.

But if Cox is fit then I’d make him sub (if we can give Fyfe the training top then we can do that to anyone) and let Stanley get a full game under his belt at Peel. Cox can play forward or back so gives us options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ll stick with what I always say in this situation - for selection integrity and barring injury, you have to reward a performance like yesterday with an unchanged lineup. Not one player deserves to be benched following that.

But if Cox is fit then I’d make him sub (if we can give Fyfe the training top then we can do that to anyone) and let Stanley get a full game under his belt at Peel. Cox can play forward or back so gives us options.
Cox can come in and be forward, like someone said. Would be hugely benefital for Treacy and Jackson, plus the forward line has a full time marking target. Probably won’t happen.

Hamling shouldn’t be dropped.

That makes no sense. But ok.

Loss rate isn't the opposite of win rate. The absolute elite AFL players were winning about a third of their contests, they were just losing very rarely too.

When coaches say "he gives a good contest" that's all they want. Keep it in play.

Loss rate isn't the opposite of win rate. The absolute elite AFL players were winning about a third of their contests, they were just losing very rarely too.

When coaches say "he gives a good contest" that's all they want. Keep it in play.

Never said it was the opposite. Walkers defensive 1v1 loss % is 10th worst in the comp.
I preferred his role when he was released upfield more. Used the pace to attack.

I don’t get the Hamling love. He was a liability almost everytime he got the ball.

Not a chance in hell he keeps Cox out.
Bit harsh, I think Hamling was somewhere between "fine" and "good" but Cox is much better, it's a no brainer if fit

He was much much better in this aspect yesterday. I think Wagner has brought a fresh run and dash to the team yesterday. It’s infectious.

Yes - but it’s still likely to be an issue if we play three KPDs and Ryan.

Speed is likely another issue. Wagner and Hughes would likely have all four covered by a fair way imo.

Bit harsh, I think Hamling was somewhere between "fine" and "good" but Cox is much better, it's a no brainer if fit
Hamling has surprised me me to be honest. Thought he was completely cooked. I think all players take a few weeks to adjust to increased AFL intensity and tempo. In saying all this 100% agree that when Cox is fit he comes back in. The only other possibility is if APearce’s foot flares up and he needs a spell.

Some posters are saying there are clubs that would grab Hamling for a couple of years. I’ve seen nothing that would change my mind that he is no more than a back-up and does he really want to relocate his family for 1-2 years as a back-up elsewhere. If Freo can’t find a better back-up then he can have another year on the rookie list. Hamling himself has said he is happy playing the back-up role and his leadership at Peel has been invaluable for Draper and Davies.

Hamling has surprised me me to be honest. Thought he was completely cooked. I think all players take a few weeks to adjust to increased AFL intensity and tempo. In saying all this 100% agree that when Cox is fit he comes back in. The only other possibility is if APearce’s foot flares up and he needs a spell.

Some posters are saying there are clubs that would grab Hamling for a couple of years. I’ve seen nothing that would change my mind that he is no more than a back-up and does he really want to relocate his family for 1-2 years as a back-up elsewhere. If Freo can’t find a better back-up then he can have another year on the rookie list. Hamling himself has said he is happy playing the back-up role and his leadership at Peel has been invaluable for Draper and Davies.
As a rookie, I’d keep him for depth, there were times this year we could have used a 3rd tall even with Pearce and Cox in the side. Especially if we are planning on moving Chapman or Young up the field. He and Hughes could alternate on a “horses for courses” basis, dangerous medium defender, play Hughes, three talls play Hamling. They are both pretty slow in decision making so wouldn’t want both in the same team unless injuries dictate it (like now).

Wouldn't Aish be better for that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back