Changes vs Power

Remove this Banner Ad

Jong for Dale, Hamling for Prudden/Talia. But happy with everyone at the moment. Tough game for Talia on the best forward often. Hope he can develop into a new Morris in time. How good is Morris??[/QUOTE]

Very ordinary , too old & not AFL standard.

I learned that all four of Boyd, Redpath, Stringer and Crameri don't go together. Crameri is better used as a pure forward, Stringer has ownership on one of the KPF spots (and our best forward) and Redpath is currently better suited on the lead. Although Boyd gives us that crucial long target (which we are going to need for the finals) and is a competent second ruck, he also is a great target down the line.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.

Nice problem to have. It's a conundrum almost entirely unknown down at the kennel!

I thought Red was a bit worse on the weekend than in previous weeks. I'd give him another week, because he has been quite good in other weeks, and he'd be stiff to go out after one mediocre game, especially since the rest of the forward line was working so well around him anyway. His set shot really needs work though, and he isn't as good as boyd under the high ball or in the ruck. I'm not really sure who I think would be better in the team out of him and boyd, as both have different attributes which can help the team.

Things that Redpath offers that Boyd doesn't:
  1. Forward pressure. I think the effects of having one weak point in our forward press are regularly underestimated. Red chases and tackles much more than boyd, and he hurts players when he tackles them. Players who are scared of getting tackled are more likely to make a poor decision.
  2. He leads. This has two important effects. It encourages our mids to lower their eyes, which they've done beautifully recently, rather than just bombing to the marking target in the square. It also opens up space and unsettles the opposition's zone. When red leads, his player needs to run with him, which opens up the space behind red for another player to lead into.
We still bombed mindlessly inside our own 50 a fair bit - Essendon would have had about eight intercept marks. We could have had a goal from a couple of them with Boy din our team in the goalsquare.

Hamling for Prudden.

Does Jong need another go in the magoo's? I know he played well yesterday from what I saw but what was he like the week before, I didn't see that game.

Leave big Jack in for another week in my opinion, he is quicker defensively than Boyd and we have enough goal kickers. Carlisle wont be playing I wouldnt have thought.

Note sure why people of calling for Big Red to be out. It was clear his role this week was to lead up and keep the forward 50 open for Crameri, Stringer and Dickson. So he did his job brilliantly. Most of his marks were outside 50 this week. His leading and workrate has been good.

Note sure why people of calling for Big Red to be out. It was clear his role this week was to lead up and keep the forward 50 open for Crameri, Stringer and Dickson. So he did his job brilliantly. Most of his marks were outside 50 this week. His leading and workrate has been good.

I think he's been very servicable and I'd keep him in no question but Redpath, Boyd, Stringer and Crameri just doesn't fit, it reduces the effectiveness of one of them and also Redpath, Boyd and Stringer all like playing deeper (well are better suited IMO).

Boyd should be given ruck time as well IMO, not just a pure full forward

I think the big concern is that Port are probably going in with two rucks in Ryder & Redden so I'd personally prefer to go in with Boyd who has been respectable in the ruck.

Spot on.

I just found out that Redpath has kicked 23.5 in the VFL! There is no problem with his kicking the slightest. I feel like a lot of his shots have been from further out than most and even then he's been pretty close. He's going to kick a back soon.

If you're dropping Big Red because you think he's a bad kick then you've got it all wrong.

I think the big concern is that Port are probably going in with two rucks in Ryder & Redden so I'd personally prefer to go in with Boyd who has been respectable in the ruck.

Our small structure has worked an absolute treat the last fortnight, why would we go big now? They have Ollie wines out, I don't think we will have that many issues from the centre.

I would like to see us go even further along the speed route and give Rourke a run for Prudden this week.

Our small structure has worked an absolute treat the last fortnight, why would we go big now? They have Ollie wines out, I don't think we will have that many issues from the centre.

I would like to see us go even further along the speed route and give Rourke a run for Prudden this week.

I don't mind this, I'd love to see Rourke given a crack, give him a couple of games and go from there.

Can we upgrade him ??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't mind this, I'd love to see Rourke given a crack, give him a couple of games and go from there.

Can we upgrade him ??

As mentioned we have the Clay Smith LTI but also every team can upgrade 1 rookie regardless after round 11 or 12 so we've still got that option banked too.

It's really just a matter of if we think it's worth it. I think the position R.Smith plays we have Webb, Prudden and even possibly Hamling. Clearly they're different sorts of players but with Murphy, JJ and Boyd proving the flair locked in I struggle to see if it's worth it unless injuries strike. I also think Hamling's rebounding ability is underrated. He's got a bit go about him which probably gets lost due to him being pigeon holed as a medium-tall defender.

I'd leave the forward line as it is at the moment, it's functioning well. I didn't rate Redpath's game against what looked like a disinterested Carlisle, but he provided a lot of movement and was decent defensively. It wasn't the worst game ever. Plus I don't think Boyd is fully deserving of a spot in the side yet.

I think we need another tall defender though and Talia's work one on one is a major worry. He lost most of those battles one on one, we are just lucky Essendon didn't get it in there enough or with much purpose. If Roberts and Hamling are deemed fit enough, they play.

What does everyone think our best 22 would be come finals (not including Stevens and libba)

I can see Boyd Roughead Roberts Hamling and maybe Jong to come in before finals if all fit

What does everyone think our best 22 would be come finals (not including Stevens and libba)

I can see Boyd Roughead Roberts Hamling and maybe Jong to come in before finals if all fit

Wood, Roberts, Morris
JJ, Hamling, Murphy
Grant, Macrae, Hunter
Dahlhaus, Crameri, Daniel
Stringer, Boyd, Dickson
Roughead, Wallis, Bontempelli
M.Boyd, Picken, ****
Jong

Top of my head!! Probably forgetting someone

Wood, Roberts, Morris
JJ, Hamling, Murphy
Grant, Macrae, Hunter
Dahlhaus, Crameri, Daniel
Stringer, Boyd, Dickson
Roughead, Wallis, Bontempelli
M.Boyd, Picken, ****
Jong

Top of my head!! Probably forgetting someone

See a few people say T.Boyd and Roughead is our best ruck combo. That's despite the team never actually trying it.

Yep I agree with that team. So I would think they would want to slowly bring in Boyd Jong etc

Jong on song is best 22. I haven't forgotten his first 5 weeks. His pace with Grant, JJ, Murph etc is such an offensive threat.

Think with our gamestyle we can never ever have to many linebreakers. Gives us free players up field when these guys take it on.

FB: Wood - Roberts - Morris
HB: Murphy - Hamling - Boyd
C: Macrae - Bontempelli - Hunter
HF: Dickson - Crameri - Dahlhaus
FF: Daniel - Boyd - Stringer
F: Roughead - Picken - Wallis
IC: Johannisen - Webb - Jong
Sub: Grant

Betting on Jong to return to form by finals time. Assuming McLean will be uninjured but not back to match fitness. Biggs unlucky.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back