List Mgmt. Clark meets with Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we did get him, and Menzel also turned out to be a good luck story (yes it's still a possibility), where does he fit in?
We would have a few possibilities as you could go with

Bartel-Hawkins-Kersten
Vardy-Clark-Motlop

or

McCarthy-Hawkins-Walker
Menzel-Kersten-Murdoch

Suspect unfortunately the first line-up is a little too top heavy. The second one has more pace but Menzel is obviously an unknown right now.

Harry L officially nominating Melb today could put a spanner in the works.... Much easier for Pies and Demons to do a swap.
Collingwood, apparently, consider Lumumba to be worth more than Clark alone.

Collingwood's preference is to separate a Lumumba trade from its interest in returning Demon Mitch Clark. Collingwood is interested in Clark who is also being pursued by Geelong.

Collingwood would consider Lumumba to be worth more than Clark alone in trade terms given that Clark has managed just 15 games in the last three years due to foot problems and depression. Lumumba has played 64 games in the same period.

That's from The Age this afternoon.

If you think of an AFL senior list structure as something like (ignoring rookies for a moment):

- 4 ruckmen (HMac, Simpson, Vardy(?), ???)
- 4 key position defenders (Lonergan, Taylor, Rivers, Kolo, Hamling – extra 1)
- 4 key position forwards (Hawkins, Walker, Brown, Kersten(?))
- 4 small/medium defenders (Enright, Mackie, Bews, ???)
- 4 small/medium forwards (Bartel, McCarthy, Burbury, ???)
~20 utility/midfielders (the rest)

Give or take 1 in each position is fine to maintain balance.

Outs are: Schroder (mid), Stringer (mid), Burbury (sm fwd). Likely further outs are Hunt (utility/mid) and Brown (key fwd).

In comes Blicavs as a rookie upgrade but doesn’t really neatly fit into any category position wise so I’m calling him a utility/mid.

To me, that makes the gaps:

1 x genuine ruckman
2/3 x utility/mids
1/2 x small forwards
1 x small defender
1 x key forward

Notice Frawley doesn’t address any of those immediate needs but rather is targeted to eventually replace Lonergan.

I disagree with the prevailing view here it seems as I see Clark being targeted because he’s more the type of key forward they want to partner Hawkins than the other 3 mentioned above (although those 3 are all an option to play 3rd tall). Brown will probably go anyway which means adding Clark keeps the same number in that category in 2015.

Then as for the balance of needs, we go to the draft and look at (1) inside mids (2) a genuine ruckman (likely mature aged) (3) small defenders/forwards.

Nice job: Id only say Id break it down slightly different ; Rucks and then Ruck/Forward/Ute types. Vardy is more that to me and it looks like we are setting up to have Blitz,Vardy, Walker and now Clark as RFU's Thats where I struggle when we have not got a strong ruckman answer

Collingwood's preference is to separate a Lumumba trade from its interest in returning Demon Mitch Clark. Collingwood is interested in Clark who is also being pursued by Geelong.

Collingwood would consider Lumumba to be worth more than Clark alone in trade terms given that Clark has managed just 15 games in the last three years due to foot problems and depression. Lumumba has played 64 games in the same period.

Delusional.

Yeah obviously if Clark chooses us... But if it's a Taylor Adams "happy to go to either, so whichever can do the best deal for my former club" type situation.
But as stated above, Pies would want more anyway for Harry...

So if Lumumba goes to Melbourne and Clark comes to Geelong, what are we going to have to give to Collingwood to satisfy them for the loss of Lumumba?

Given it is pretty clear that Lumumba wants out and Collingwood don't want him there, I'd like to see us play hard ball, particularly if Clark nominates us as the only club he wants to go to. In that situation, Collingwood really have no bargaining power at all.

So if Lumumba goes to Melbourne and Clark comes to Geelong, what are we going to have to give to Collingwood to satisfy them for the loss of Lumumba?

Given it is pretty clear that Lumumba wants out and Collingwood don't want him there, I'd like to see us play hard ball, particularly if Clark nominates us as the only club he wants to go to. In that situation, Collingwood really have no bargaining power at all.
Feck collingwood, we deal with dee's only for Mitch

Delusional.
I see their rationale but my first thought upon reading it was the same as yours.

I always figured a straight swap was about right.

We say bad luck Pies on missing out of Clark and give them a wave. We then deal directly with Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jay Clarke from HS just said on MMM Clark has apparently chosen us as his new club.

Says that we are still the front runner for Frawley as well, but won't be surprised if he ends up with Hawks as now the GF is finished, their list managers get to work today and Frawley is top of the list which would indicate to me that Lake must be retiring.
I had a feeling I saw somewhere today Lake saying he wanted to go on again...

If Clark comes in, I'd trade Kersten out, and try and get another mid for him. I am just not sure Shane will make it. Too "inbetween" for me - but worth something in a trade I think.

HF: Murdoch Clark Motlop/Resting Mid

FF: Bartel Hawkins McCarthy

What are they both worth? What do they want for Labombya? If Clark picks us then Pies will probably have to work out a value.
IMO , Cats will probably cough up R2 and get R4 back or something like that. So 33 for Clark and 60 ish
I think Melbourne will take what they can get, maybe a 3rd rounder. I wouldn't rule out a player either.

They would be right, Harry O probably worth a pick in the 30-40 range while Clark 40+

If Clark comes in, I'd trade Kersten out, and try and get another mid for him. I am just not sure Shane will make it. Too "inbetween" for me - but worth something in a trade I think.

No way, Kersten will definitely make it. Just needs games like all our other youngsters. We need other options other than Hawkins.

I think Melbourne will take what they can get, maybe a 3rd rounder. I wouldn't rule out a player either.

To be honest I'm happy to offer them more than he is worth , and let them throw a bit back our way. If he is worth R3 , I think our R3 has been linked to the Newtown trade anyway (if that's real). Have we got something we could trade and get Clark and a pick for?

Really mixed feelings on him. messes us up , when Walker is starting to show form. I was happy to take him for nicks ,not played much in 3 years , is not the solution to our issues.... smacks a bit of "we have to land someone" 12 games in 2011 , 4 games in 2013... it does remind one of Hmac.

Keep in mind though, Danger has said he wants success, Pies aren't that option. They barely made the 8 as is and they now lose Beams and Harry O.

If Danger doesn't go there, then Pies for bottom 8 is on the cards, and if he does, they may not make the 8 still.

He'd be better off staying with Crows then going to Pies.
The bolded part, can you please elaborate on what you mean exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back