C'mon Ed...

Remove this Banner Ad

He doesn't claim to only care about the game. He does claim to care about the game and he also claims to care so much about Collingwood he stepped up in 1999 when the club was as the bottom be of the ladder and losing $1m+pa to become the unpaid president.
So?

Doesn't change that he's especially selfish and narrow minded.

My footy club is also ratchet at the moment, you don't see us crying and moaning to get handouts and draft/academy concessions from city hall.

Carlton and Brisbane's problem all stem from a decade of poor recruiting and administration. Luckily President Leguidace and CEO Trigg realize ours is a mess if our own making, and its up to our new recruiting team to fix it.

There's only so many times Brisbane can blame Eddie for their woes, tell me why its Mr McGuire's fault the 'go home five' happened ?

Way I see it Eddie McGuire is a street fighter for the Victorian clubs, his campaign to get the Swans to lose the COLA was Don Quixote stuff.

#WeStandWithEddie

Long post side steps the issue. Brisbane had a salary cap allowance and won three flags, Sydney have a salary cap allowance and have won two flags and been in finals for almost two decades without bottoming out. GWS and GCS have had massive start up concessions.

Now the salary cap allowances are coming back to equality, the same clubs want another leg up on the other clubs through the academies. It's a continued narrative of demanding an onfield advantage which not surprisingly annoys the rest of the competition. Without the salary cap stuff, perhaps the academies would be ok, but they are linked in perception and therefore reality.

southern bitching, never changes. when you grow up we'll talk about equalisation.

He doesn't claim to only care about the game. He does claim to care about the game and he also claims to care so much about Collingwood he stepped up in 1999 when the club was as the bottom be of the ladder and losing $1m+pa to become the unpaid president.

He has actually come to the passionate defence of Collingwood's biggest arch rival, Carlton, which I appreciate.

Interstate (and Vic) clubs constantly asking fir handouts and concessions from the AFL is a very unhealthy and dependant model of governance. Why should other clubs be punished at the draft for more than a decade of incompetent administration by the Lions ?

Yep. Sydney developing players for Sydney to draft is brilliant for my club...

Myopic.

For every Sydney academy player Sydney draft that's one more West Australian left for you. And what about the academy players they develop but don't draft? Why surprise surprise, they too are available for your club to draft. Just like Port drafted a couple of our academy players last year.

Short sighted, ill informed and stupid post.

He has actually come to the passionate defence of Collingwood's biggest arch rival, Carlton, which I appreciate.

Interstate (and Vic) clubs constantly asking fir handouts and concessions from the AFL is a very unhealthy and dependant model of governance. Why should other clubs be punished at the draft for more than a decade of incompetent administration by the Lions ?
Carlton got handouts. You would've died without them. Carlton also tanked for priority picks. Your hypocrisy is laughable.

Carlton got handouts. You would've died without them. Carlton also tanked for priority picks. Your hypocrisy is laughable.

LOL, everyone got priority picks back in the day, Richmond and Melbourne got as many as ours, plus we got zero FA compo for Waite and Betts.

No hypocrisy, Brisbane have been the playing the victim card for a while now, they deserve no (draft) assistance for poorly run club, everyone else down the bottom of the ladder isn't asking for help.

Fremantle got nothing from the AFL when they came into the comp, it took almost 20 years, but Freo finally a force through their own hard work. Brisbane should try emulate that footy club instead of crying to Mummy and Daddy at the AFL commission every year for a handout.

Port's another club that managed to rebuild and reinvent its footy club without handouts.

Sure - fine idea. If you want a national competition, then EVERY club must be seen as a desirable location, surely?
Maybe we shouldn't have clubs in places that aren't desirable

LOL, everyone got priority picks back in the day, Richmond and Melbourne got as many as ours, plus we got zero FA compo for Waite and Betts.

No hypocrisy, Brisbane have been the playing the victim card for a while now, they deserve no (draft) assistance for poorly run club, everyone else down the bottom of the ladder isn't asking for help.

Fremantle got nothing from the AFL when they came into the comp, it took almost 20 years, but Freo finally a force through their own hard work. Brisbane should try emulate that footy club instead of crying to Mummy and Daddy at the AFL commission every year for a handout.

Port's another club that managed to rebuild and reinvent its footy club without handouts.

What a coincidence Freo and Port are also in footy heartland states. For some reason people just don't get how fickle the Queensland sporting landscape is. Suns n lions have a shocking first month of footy n only 12000 people rock up to the Qclash. If the pies started poorly n it was hailing on the day of the game they would still get 50k there. Personally I believe 1 QLD team wouldn't have been sustainable but chucking another one 70km down the highway is just taking the piss.

Only team down the bottom to ask for handouts? Pretty sure Melbourne was the only team to ask for a priority pick last year

Complaining about a bottom club. What a clown.

Side by side we clown together.

MCC.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only team down the bottom to ask for handouts? Pretty sure Melbourne was the only team to ask for a priority pick last year

I'm not happy Melbourne got pick 2 for Frawley either, it was a disgraceful decision ..

Look, I think Brisbane deserve a (pre first round) priority draft pick this season, you've been so bad for so long, but all this talk about setting up academies and other forms of concessions, like the return of Lions COLA.

Don't mind The Lions getting financial and administrative aid from The AFL, that's fair enough, but there has to come a time when Brisbane has to stand and its on two feet.

So?

Doesn't change that he's especially selfish and narrow minded.
Not that that is what you originally posted but he is actually elected to be that in respect of his club. Maybe he should be more like your last few presidents?

I've said it before, but if you want an equal competition, fine. Start by everyone having to have the same interstate / home state make up as Brisbane and limit any third party agreements to whatever Brisbane can pay. When all clubs have to operate under those conditions, then you can start talking about equality.

Typical Ed. Makes some good points in his latest rant but can't resist a self-interested swipe.

Yep. Sydney developing players for Sydney to draft is brilliant for my club...

Imagine if West Coast, who are a very well administered club, could set up an academy in WA and get first dibs at the players. Or Port could claim Darwin and Hawthorn Tassie. I wonder what Sydney would think of that?

Imagine if West Coast, who are a very well administered club, could set up an academy in WA and get first dibs at the players. Or Port could claim Darwin and Hawthorn Tassie. I wonder what Sydney would think of that?
"Imagine if established clubs could set up academies in areas where football is the first preference amongst talented athletes and there are established leagues of a much higher quality than those in NSW or QLD"

You've argued this multiples times. It's a stupid argument.

It's funny how equality and fairness are only important issues for Ed every time Collingwood look like spending time in the wilderness.

- "Time in the wilderness"
- One game and percentage out of finals last year
- 2nd on the ladder ATM with the best percentage in the league

Ok.

"Imagine if established clubs could set up academies in areas where football is the first preference amongst talented athletes and there are established leagues of a much higher quality than those in NSW or QLD"

You've argued this multiples times. It's a stupid argument.

I you were so interested in growing the game you would agree to other clubs setting up academies in NSW and QLD to multiply the spread of the game there. That would then have a significant impact at gras roots level. Let St Kilda and Bullies go in there and set up accademies as well and get 3 x ore kids in the system playing AFL. Wouldn't that be good? oh but no you can't agree with that as there is no clear advantage to Sydney then.

Myopic.

For every Sydney academy player Sydney draft that's one more West Australian left for you. And what about the academy players they develop but don't draft? Why surprise surprise, they too are available for your club to draft. Just like Port drafted a couple of our academy players last year.

For that example Sydney could easily have had first option for all three players (depending on picks for the wa kid) two of them they've had months training to consider them. It's hardly the biggest issue in the world but there's no denying that's an overall advantage .

Myopic.

And we can go Visa Vera on that as well. If Hawthorn had an academy in say Eastern corridor (example only peoples) and had first digs at drafting them then that would leave the likes of Bruest, Langford & Hale (as an example as he is Qld IIRC) for NSW & QLD teams.

It's funny how equality and fairness are only important issues for Ed every time Collingwood look like spending time in the wilderness.
Wilderness like when we finished second in 2002 & 2003 or every year since?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back