Commentators Incorrectly Calling Games Over

Remove this Banner Ad

They try to keep the game alive to keep interest and people watching, usually they are talking up a comeback when its obvious to all that there's no hope.

Bruce McAvaney with just over 6 minutes to go in last showdown at Football Park 2013 ... This will keep Adelaide in the finals .. its going to be hard for Port to win form here .. they have to get 4 goals .. well Port did get 4 goals with 19 seconds to spare .. one of the best comebacks I have ever seen b geez

2dwayne-russell424-424x2831.jpeg

"They're still in this!" *After team kicks a goal to get within 40 points of opponent with 5 minutes left in the game*

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bruce McAvaney with just over 6 minutes to go in last showdown at Football Park 2013 ... This will keep Adelaide in the finals .. its going to be hard for Port to win form here .. they have to get 4 goals .. well Port did get 4 goals with 19 seconds to spare .. one of the best comebacks I have ever seen b geez

And when talking about Wingard, something along the lines of "has a player ever won the Showdown medal, playing in the losing team before?"

Would have to be the prelim final between the crows and bulldogs in 97.

That celebrated point. Let's see what the Bulldogs can do next week.

Not sure if I'm allowed to mention this in light of recent events though. Emotions are still a little raw.

Derwayne, at about the 15 minute mark of the second quarter, in Round 1, 2014 said something along the lines of "GWS can't win it of course, all they can do is hope to do is get closer than they have in the past" before we steamrolled Sydney in the last to win it by 32 going away.

... and he was exactly right.

He said it was going to be hard, and it was. Not impossible though.

Also one of the biggest leg breaks in footy history with the Monfries goal.... :-(

Otherwise, for the OP - Here is your video

-------

also on a side note - The deliberate out of bounds rule is a lot better now, even if sometimes it is a bit harsh - That kick by Jamo at the end now looks pretty poor and cynical...

I'd rather hear some guy stick his neck out and say "nah, they're f###ed" with conviction and then get it wrong, than repeatedly tell everyone a side is still in it when they clearly are not, just to keep the audience happy...and still get it wrong...

Me and another guy going way back call 100 pointers...when it looks like it's going that way, it's an official declaration: "I'm calling it - 100 points". You can't take it back, and you'll get slaughtered if it doesn't come off through shouted beer, but it's an epic moment. I'd love a commentator to do the same thing, even before the game...dare to put your nuts on the guillotine...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back