News Condolences to Rhett and Kameron (sister) Bazzo

Remove this Banner Ad

Feel terrible for the kid, losing family is awful at any time but especially under such tragic circumstances. I have no doubt that WCE and their player welfare department will throw absolutely every ounce of support behind him and his sister to get through this.

I am devastated to hear this tragedy to the Bazzo family. So much life to live and it’s taken away. Wishing the family strength to come through this

Heartbreaking stuff for the kid and his sister.

Condolences to the whole family

Last edited:
Terrible news for all those involved. Condolences to Rhett, his sister and their family/loved ones. Couldn't imagine how they are feeling right now :(

Just very sad for all involved. Especially tragic for Rhett and Kameron given they have already lost their dad.

Oh *. I’d forgotten about his dad

Just terrible

* For those like me who’d forgotten or didn’t know, Steve Bazzo was a Swan Districts legend who died of cancer in 2015 when Rhett was only 11
This is heart wrenching, for Rhett , his sister and the other family and friends involved, just got off the phone to a mate who played for Swan Districts with Steve Basso , he was devastated about this horrible news , the Basso family are quality. If there is one club that can get around Rhett and his sister , it’s you guys. You will certainly put both arms around them When it comes to times like this , it’s when great football clubs shine and do their best work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice to see a relatively thoughtful and considerate article popping up

Also, the comments as reported by Sam Switkowski to open his press conference at Fremantle were a nice touch

Players trained. Coaches directed traffic. Fans lined the fence in the hope of scoring an autograph or photo with their favourite Eagles.
In many ways, it felt like a normal training session.

In reality, it was anything but.

West Coast is in mourning and its young star Rhett Bazzo is in agony.

What should have been an enjoyable night out with friends turned to tragedy when Kylie Bazzo, Rhett’s mother, and Debbie Burdon lost their lives in a boat crash on Saturday.

Two families are grieving. One has been here before.

In 2015, Rhett and sister Kameron lost their father Steve to cancer.

Rhett, then aged 11, carried the initials ‘SB’ on a piece of tape into every big game he played on his way to the AFL. It served as a reminder of the advice Steve, himself a fine footballer for Swan Districts, would have given him.

After getting drafted by West Coast with pick No. 37 in 2021, Bazzo said, “I know my Dad would be looking down on me proud.”

He continued: “[Football] has always been in our family. My Mum was heavily involved in a few footy clubs as well, so it would be a bit weird not having footy in our lives. My family have dedicated a lot for me and given up a lot of things to make sure I can try and live out my childhood dream.”

That drive was apparent when the 195 centimetre defender made his debut last year against eventual premiers Geelong. Unflappable in the face of one of football’s biggest tasks, Bazzo held power forward Jeremy Cameron to one goal and kept his spot in the side.

If or when Bazzo returns to the field, he’ll be carrying a burden no 19-year-old should ever have to.

Bazzo, understandably, didn’t train on Monday.

Neither did housemate and close friend Campbell Chesser.

Their teammates, meanwhile, spent an hour and 15 minutes on the track. The sombre feeling among the assembled supporters was impossible to miss, many of whom passed on well wishes to the players that stopped by post-session.

Over at Fremantle, Sam Switkowski opened his Monday morning press conference with a message to the Bazzo family.

“On behalf of the Freo footy club, we want to send our deepest sympathies to Rhett Bazzo and his family after the terrible tragedy,” Switkowski said. “When something happens to someone in the football community, rivalries and everything [are put] aside.

“Our deepest condolences.”

The football community has a special way of uniting behind its own and West Coast will do everything possible to support Rhett and his family. And if Monday’s training session is any guide, supporters will embrace the emerging star who has had to endure far too much far too soon when he is ready to return to footy.

But now is a time to pause and grieve.

Now is the time to remember Kylie Bazzo

This article from Mark Duffield is excellent. Focuses on Kylie Bazzo and shines a light on her achievements and significant involvement in football which I wasn’t aware of and I dare say not many would be

Certainly didn’t know she was the CEO of Peel Thunder in their early days. Sounds like a great person

Also states that Kameron Bazzo was on holiday in Canada and is in the process of returning home. As of there wasn’t already nought s**t news about this

19 years old and has now lost both parents. There are no words to describe how tragic this is. As someone who has recently lost a parent this has deeply upset me.

Rhett, mate, on the one in a million chance you ever read this - know that anyone who has even the vaguest interest in footy is thinking of you and is there for you and your family at this time. You are in hearts tonight.

To everyone else, regardless of which footy tribe you belong to - if you have the chance - hug your parents just that little bit tighter tonight.

Shocking beyond words. Thinking if them and hope the extra-familiar support network these kids have is strong.

I lost both my parents in my 20's to terminal illness over a five-year period, it was an unmooring experience to say the least.
Exactly the same for me.
Knocks you around terribly.

Time does help, but it still hurts 30+ years on.

From my experience the best thing is just give the kids space and time to grieve. Nothing is going to make it easy, nothing is going to ease the pain. And even though there is no reason for it, nothing will stop you feeling guilty.

Condolences.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back