Certified Legendary Thread Convicted Rapist: Jarryd Hayne - Fumbling and Quitting the Lifelong Dreams ™

Remove this Banner Ad

Special Teams as a PR/KR at best. I have nothing but admiration for Hayne making a major decision as such but I expect him to find it somewhat more difficult than the NRL when one considers he's going against guys who have played football for the majority of their lives and at the bare minimum, have an understanding of football concepts.

Also, he's not beating out Turbin or Michael behind Lynch. That's simply not happening.

He wants to be a kick/punt returner apparently

Can't be worse than the returners the Jets have rolled out this season.

Sign this beast, Tanny!

Why do you say he has no chance? Has it ever been attempted?
I think the Cowboys were sniffing around Jonah Lomu (union) years ago, but I can't remember if he said no or it didn't work out. That's all I can remember about something similar.

Gotta say amazed how many already want him to fail(seen it in a few threads). Seems a strange philosophical position to me.

Has showed some balls in throwing away a very good NRL contract and massive upgrade to that at the end of next year to have a crack at a sport he obviously loves.

I hope he makes it in some way.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-...alian-sportsmen-chasing-the-nfl-dream/5815600

Good article on the move to the NFL.

Know nothing about Haynes and it is a little bit of an obscure move but if the NFL can make it work it could be a win for everyone - could lead to an increase presence in Australia and a possibility of getting a game on our soil.

Unlikely, given that the teams that play in London don't like the travel from the US to Europe and back again. I don't think they'd enjoy a minimum 15 hour one-way trip from the US to Australia. It would need to be two west coast teams to even have a chance of getting off the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unlikely, given that the teams that play in London don't like the travel from the US to Europe and back again. I don't think they'd enjoy a minimum 15 hour one-way trip from the US to Australia. It would need to be two west coast teams to even have a chance of getting off the ground.

Perfect place to have Oakland play San Francisco and avoid all the violence.

Does anyone know what the process would be for Haynes to actually get onto an NFL team. Does he have to go through the draft like everyone else, or are there special rules for mature age recruits?

Does anyone know what the process would be for Haynes to actually get onto an NFL team. Does he have to go through the draft like everyone else, or are there special rules for mature age recruits?
Believe that he already went undrafted and is a FA as no one drafted him when he was first eligible three years after leaving high school.

He can't be a wide reciever hes not fast enough or tall enough, and being good under the high ball in rugby is completely different to being a good wide receiver, its more AFL marking than it is Rugby catching.

It's why Scott Harding has been relatively successful at Hawaii U, he plays Kick/Punt returner and WR, even though hes only 180cm.

But thats college and not a strong division.

NFL is an absolute pipe dream for this.......

Gotta say amazed how many already want him to fail(seen it in a few threads). Seems a strange philosophical position to me.

I don't think I've seen anyone willing him to fail. Suggesting it's ignorant and arrogant to think you can walk into a sport you've never played before at 27 isn't the same as willing him to fail.

Good on him for following his dream and all that - but there are thousands of college players who miss out on the NFL every year who have been playing the game for over 10 years. And this guy thinks he can turn up and be better than all of them?

To think this is to drastically underestimate the difficulty of the game we watch every Monday morning.

In addition, I find it downright bizarre that we've seen rugby league players fail badly at AFL because they couldn't understand that game. And yet Hayne is going to be able to understand something like this? https://www.scribd.com/doc/2945347/2000-Rams-Martz-Offense

Suggesting it's ignorant and arrogant to think you can walk into a sport you've never played before at 27 isn't the same as willing him to fail.

Please show me where has he said he expects to walk onto a team?

Again it is people wanting him to fail because of what they think he thinks.

Does he now. Ok then. :rolleyes:
Well yeah, if you're going to make a roster in the NFL, it's because you're better than thousands of college players that didn't make it, at least that's what I would've thought. I admire his willingness to commit to this and walk away from a pretty good spot at Parramatta (even though they've said they'll take him back if this doesn't work out), but I can't see him making it past the practice squad or special teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back