Certified Legendary Thread Convicted Rapist: Jarryd Hayne - Fumbling and Quitting the Lifelong Dreams ™

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon one of the hardest things to learn if transitioning to American football would be the ability to protect the ball at all costs and going to ground without using your arms to break your fall.
Personally, I'd say the hardest thing about the NFL is learning to play football when you consider Hayne has never played American Football. It's not something you just pick up unless you have an appreciation of the concepts. Brown Right Over 73 Chicago F arrow X curl isn't going to be something he's heard before.

Please show me where has he said he expects to walk onto a team?

Again it is people wanting him to fail because of what they think he thinks.

So what, you think he's walking away from 750k from Parra + approx 40k per origin game + whatever he gets for the Kangaroos + personal sponsorship for a holiday?

He wouldn't be going if he didn't consider himself at least some chance. Which suggests that yes, he thinks he's better than the thousands of college players that don't make it.

Unlike the AFL, no NFL team is going to take him for a publicity stunt. They aren't going to give a s**t about this random 27 year old who has never played the game.

And I'll thank you to not tell me what I want, cheers.

He has a much chance of getting a spot on an NFL roster as he does of becoming a professional ice dancer.

There is a queue a mile long of faster, stronger and smarter athletes who grew up in the system in front of him.

Good luck to him but it ain't gonna happen

Good luck to him. Special Teams probably best chance, can't see any other position tbh. There's a number of RB#2,#3,#4 ahead of him i'd imagine, not to mention those just on the edge of rosters. WR...no chance. Nor TE or anywhere on D. Willie Mason tried out once and apparently was pretty poor. Don't know much about rugby but this guy is obviously more athletic.

I'll tell you where it originated.

Before this season of NRL started, and around when the NFL was in the off-season/camp, the Parramatta Eels traveled to Seattle to study the Seahawks. How they prepare, how they run their org, coach, etc etc. The whole thing. Not sure if the whole team went, or a small contingent of players, or even if any players went, but there was a line of co-operation between the Seahawks and Eels. There must've been some interest shown by the Seahawks at the time....just like you're seeing the NFL (not just NCAA) starting to look around the world for athletes who might adopt the game. Menelik Watson is an example. So is Margus Hunt. Ezekial Ansah. Joplo Bartu. Among just a few. The Seahawks no doubt just offered him to come and try out. Not like he'll make it. But Hayne, a long-time NFL fan, is admirable here. It's always been a dream or a love, and he's 27, still young, and before he gets too old, he wants to give it a shot. As someone else said, he'll be back in 2015 for the Eels. 2015, not 2016.

No one is running down Hayne for doing it, or having a dream, but basically he has no chance. None. Anyone who follows the NFL and college football and the draft process at even a base level would understand this. They would know that prospective players who have played from a young age who are by any standard athletic freaks don't make it. How is someone who is probably not as gifted as those people and who has never played the sport going to make it? Read a book like Collision Low Crossers to find out how tough it is to make it in the NFL. There are Olympic level athletes who don't make it every single season - such a shame to be one of the best players on the planet in one sport and go from that to never making a 53 man roster in another - its a really really really bad decision. Yes Hayne, we too are fans of the NFL - doesn't suddenly make us able to play the game.

No one is running down Hayne for doing it, or having a dream, but basically he has no chance. None. Anyone who follows the NFL and college football and the draft process at even a base level would understand this. They would know that prospective players who have played from a young age who are by any standard athletic freaks don't make it. How is someone who is probably not as gifted as those people and who has never played the sport going to make it? Read a book like Collision Low Crossers to find out how tough it is to make it in the NFL. There are Olympic level athletes who don't make it every single season - such a shame to be one of the best players on the planet in one sport and go from that to never making a 53 man roster in another - its a really really really bad decision. Yes Hayne, we too are fans of the NFL - doesn't suddenly make us able to play the game.

There have been less talented rugby players make it to onto an NFL roster with no football background than Hayne in recent years. Hayden Smith is an Australian that played professional rugby in England, and for the USA national team as a lock forward - was never a superstar rugby player. Yet he trialled for the NFL, made the Jets practice squad in 2012 as a tight end, got promoted to the active squad a couple of months later and played a couple of times before getting cut. He's now back playing rugby. Obviously he didn't succeed as an NFL player, but he did get on the field, which is an accomplishment in itself given he had zero background in the game.

Daniel Adongo played professional rugby in South Africa, making a few appearances off the bench in Super Rugby for the worst South African team in the competition. Physical specimen for sure, but no great rugby player. Was signed by the Colts as an outside linebacker despite zero football experience. Made it to the active roster and played a couple of games in 2013 but was injured during a pre-season match this year.

Hayne is obviously a different size and type of player than these guys, but he is SO much better than them. These guys were journeyman rugby players, Hayne is the best rugby league player on the planet. I doubt Hayne is going to be some huge success in the NFL but I think he'll have some chance of making a roster. If he does it will be a great achievement for him. And if he doesn't, or if he does for a short period then he'll have no problem going back to the NRL, or getting signed by a Rugby Union club somewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There have been less talented rugby players make it to onto an NFL roster with no football background than Hayne in recent years. Hayden Smith is an Australian that played professional rugby in England, and for the USA national team as a lock forward - was never a superstar rugby player. Yet he trialled for the NFL, made the Jets practice squad in 2012 as a tight end, got promoted to the active squad a couple of months later and played a couple of times before getting cut. He's now back playing rugby. Obviously he didn't succeed as an NFL player, but he did get on the field, which is an accomplishment in itself given he had zero background in the game.

Daniel Adongo played professional rugby in South Africa, making a few appearances off the bench in Super Rugby for the worst South African team in the competition. Physical specimen for sure, but no great rugby player. Was signed by the Colts as an outside linebacker despite zero football experience. Made it to the active roster and played a couple of games in 2013 but was injured during a pre-season match this year.

Hayne is obviously a different size and type of player than these guys, but he is SO much better than them. These guys were journeyman rugby players, Hayne is the best rugby league player on the planet. I doubt Hayne is going to be some huge success in the NFL but I think he'll have some chance of making a roster. If he does it will be a great achievement for him. And if he doesn't, or if he does for a short period then he'll have no problem going back to the NRL, or getting signed by a Rugby Union club somewhere.

Let me rephrase my statement. Hayne has no chance of having an ONGOING roster spot in the NFL. He might get tried out, but NFL teams chew threw hundreds of players every year - there are very few who actually stick to an NFL team. The players you have cited never made it to the NFL and Hayne will be the same.

Hell, there are dozens of players who were drafted this year in the NFL, which means they went through an extremely rigorous screening process and who actually have played the game before, who are now not on the teams who wanted them in the first place.

Also, the comparison of Hayne being a better rugby player is totally irrelevant to NFL, just because you might be good at cricket for example doesn't mean you will be good at something like tennis, or else Michael Clarke would take time off to play Wimbledon every year. There are college footballers who have been recognised as the best American footballers of the year at that level who never make it in the NFL. Tim Tebow is recognised as perhaps the best college player of all time, but is now spending his athletic prime commentating for ESPN, and now people think Hayne will make it as an NFL player? The idea is just beyond absurd.

If Hayne is supposedly one the the NRLs best players how come I never have never ever heard of him?

Location "Perth"

enough said.

Your lucky to have heard of Gary Ablett.

Anyone with even the smallest possible passing interest at all in league would have heard of Hayne.

Let me rephrase my statement. Hayne has no chance of having an ONGOING roster spot in the NFL. He might get tried out, but NFL teams chew threw hundreds of players every year - there are very few who actually stick to an NFL team. The players you have cited never made it to the NFL and Hayne will be the same.

Hell, there are dozens of players who were drafted this year in the NFL, which means they went through an extremely rigorous screening process and who actually have played the game before, who are now not on the teams who wanted them in the first place.

Also, the comparison of Hayne being a better rugby player is totally irrelevant to NFL, just because you might be good at cricket for example doesn't mean you will be good at something like tennis, or else Michael Clarke would take time off to play Wimbledon every year. There are college footballers who have been recognised as the best American footballers of the year at that level who never make it in the NFL. Tim Tebow is recognised as perhaps the best college player of all time, but is now spending his athletic prime commentating for ESPN, and now people think Hayne will make it as an NFL player? The idea is just beyond absurd.

They both did get some game time in the NFL though, ahead of many of those guys that get drafted and never make it out of the practice squad. Maybe Hayne won't feel it was a complete waste of time if he replicates that. Even if he fails entirely it won't be more than say a 6 month detour in his career, and at least he won't think 'what if' for the rest of his life.

My point is that he's a far superior athlete. Also, his role as a fullback in rugby league has some similarity to special teams in American Football. There are certainly transferrable skills. On the other hand the guys I mentioned both played lock in rugby. Completely unlike any position in American Football.

Another example: Nate Ebner was a junior rugby player in America that didn't play any American Football until College. Was the best special teams player for Ohio State pretty soon after taking up the sport. He's now in his 3rd year at the Patriots mostly playing on special teams. Hayne is a better athlete than him. Certainly not impossible he could be a special teams player for an NFL team for a couple of seasons.

I'm not sure of Haynes measurables - I doubt he's anywhere near being "superior" athletically at the positions he's going to be attempting to get a roster spot at.

I will grant you Hayne could *possibly* make it on special teams, but as far as I'm concerned its a huge reach to claim someone has "made it" as an NFL player as say, a gunner (which frankly I think he would be too slow at) compared from where he's come from. He's currently one of the best players in the world at League and if he snags NFL special teams he's literally going from the penthouse to the outhouse. He'll be going from being in the play 80 minutes a game where he's continually around the ball to maybe 8 X 6 second bursts a weekend in which he may not touch the ball at all. Lets say there is a scenario Hayne does make it to a roster, it will be that one - as a prospect he's no Todd Gurley.

I guess what I'm saying is that if going from being one of the best in world at what he does to being maybe the 51st guy on a roster in a league with 32 teams is making it I guess I have a different idea of what making it actually is.

I'm not sure of Haynes measurables - I doubt he's anywhere near being "superior" athletically at the positions he's going to be attempting to get a roster spot at.

I will grant you Hayne could *possibly* make it on special teams, but as far as I'm concerned its a huge reach to claim someone has "made it" as an NFL player as say, a gunner (which frankly I think he would be too slow at) compared from where he's come from. He's currently one of the best players in the world at League and if he snags NFL special teams he's literally going from the penthouse to the outhouse. He'll be going from being in the play 80 minutes a game where he's continually around the ball to maybe 8 X 6 second bursts a weekend in which he may not touch the ball at all. Lets say there is a scenario Hayne does make it to a roster, it will be that one - as a prospect he's no Todd Gurley.

I guess what I'm saying is that if going from being one of the best in world at what he does to being maybe the 51st guy on a roster in a league with 32 teams is making it I guess I have a different idea of what making it actually is.

I agree with that. He's certainly not going to become an NFL superstar. But it's his dream to play in the NFL and I think if he made it as the 51st guy on a roster for a couple of seasons it would be quite an achievement for a 27 year old with no background in the sport. And he'd probably be making fairly similar money to what he's on now if he did that.

How does he think he's going to be allowed back into the NRL after they pump him full of all the PEDs he needs to compete in the NFL?

If you have been following the Essendon saga then that shouldn't be a problem :D

Show me one fan on this board, given the opportunity, who wouldn't jump at the opportunity presented Haynes?

Clearly it's not about the money, the guy is showing balls chasing a dream.

Time to queue corny fortune cookie saying "he who has reached all their goals, never set them high enough in the first place"

I'd take him at PR tomorrow. Also as a change-of-pace back for Lynch - the one-cut power versus Hayne's combination of strength, speed and spacial awareness (which would put him ahead of Turbin).

Please show me where has he said he expects to walk onto a team?

Again it is people wanting him to fail because of what they think he thinks.

“Hester and Hawk (Harvin), they’re the best two punt returners in the NFL,’’ Hayne said. “But I’ve seen those guys and, in terms of my own ability, there’s nothing there I can’t do.

That's what he thinks man. He's not even comparing himself to the thousands of college kids that don't make it - he's comparing himself to the best returner of all time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back