Crows Best 22 (2015 edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

I've posted my thoughts on the best 22 that we have somewhat consistently throughout this off-season (It's always good to see a comparison at certain points to see what changes in my mind) and i'm willing to lock this in as my "best 22" for round 1.

B: Brown - Hartigan - Cheney
HB: Jaesnch - Talia - Henderson.
C: Smith - B.Crouch - Sloane
HF: Kerridge - Walker - Lynch
F: Cameron - Jenkins - Betts
R: Jacobs - Dangerfield - Lyons
INT: Van Berlo - Douglas - Grigg
SUB: Kelly

I'll break it down piece by piece as well.

Talia is Talia, Hartigan needs game time, it's a sink or swim year for the lad but he's in my side for all 22 games regardless of form (lack of options), Cheney is in a bit of an awkward position as i expect the third tall position to be taken by Lever throughout the year, regardless, Cheney is a defensive option i'd rotate through. Henderson and Jaesnch, whilst both are questionably defensively will give a lot of drive out of our defense.

Midfield: Smith on the wing, seriously has some weapons that could rip a game apart and with Henderson in the backline gives a rotation option if he's getting tagged out of the game... so there isn't any drawbacks as both have the potential to play very good football on the wings. B.Crouch is a classic centreman in everything he does so he gets the position for me, again another player that can really cement himself as elite this year. Sloane is a tireless workhorse and i believe he's done his best work on the wings. Dangerfield is well Dangerfield and Lyons is my last selection, i'd give him 8-10 games to see what he can do in the spot before reverting back to Thompson.

Forwards: Start with the two easy ones, Walker and Betts. Lynch i had as an automatic selection early in the off season but the longer it's gone I've really begun to question it, due to the head ducking and really hasn't done enough for me to seal the spot. Especially with the recruitment of Ramsay, Lynch needs a big season. Kerridge is another who does, a midfield rotation as well as a dangerous forward gives us options (and a cooler option to boot) but just needs to really string together what he's shown. I like him, he has all the tools to be a damaging midfielder so hopefully it'll click. Jenkins, has the potential to be a gun forward, but really needs to get his act together with body work and timing. Lowden could be a good option here. Finally there is Cameron who gets 22 games regardless of form... we are building for the future, this kid is apart of the future, let him find his feet as a small forward.

Onto the interchange:

VB: I was questioning if he was best 22 until the NAB cup but s**t, he could be in for a big season... definitely a rotation option
Douglas: Classy option, needs a good season though to respond from a pretty average 2014.
Grigg: Probably the most in the gun here, but, someone like Lyons i would leave in the side for 8-10 rounds and see if they sink or swim. Admittedly, i'd rather include a tall option here, but we are just seriously lacking options here with Otten going down with a knee.
Kelly as a sub is just due to giving him a teaser, i'd rotate some of the younger brigade through this role all year to keep them as fresh as possible.

Other options:
M.Crouch: Needs game time at this level as he's already too good for SANFL... probably not ready for a full season though, but getting him 12-15 games wont do any harm.
Thompson: Yes, he's a gun and has been for ages, however, with Lyons and Crouch being available they should be first preference and see if we can get another year out of Thommos body. Will have him in when we need a boost in the inside department or if we want to sub out a Crouch/Lyons type. Gets 8-10 games for me.
Ramsay: I see him as our third tall for the next decade, very similar to Gunstan with the kicking and footy IQ. That said, a season at SANFL level would help as he fills out.
O'Brien is similar to Ramsay with the i wouldn't bother this year with AFL game time.
Knight: I'd look at blooding him sometime this season, could be another handy midfielder this side needs.
Atkins is similar to Knights, with both, i'd try to get 3-5 games into them this season.
Levers going to be a gun and he might actually have the third tall spot cemented by seasons end.
Lowden is up against Jenkins for that 2nd forward spot, i don't know much about him though... hopefully he'll at least push hard at it.

I've posted my thoughts on the best 22 that we have somewhat consistently throughout this off-season (It's always good to see a comparison at certain points to see what changes in my mind) and i'm willing to lock this in as my "best 22" for round 1.

B: Brown - Hartigan - Cheney
HB: Jaesnch - Talia - Henderson.
C: Smith - B.Crouch - Sloane
HF: Kerridge - Walker - Lynch
F: Cameron - Jenkins - Betts
R: Jacobs - Dangerfield - Lyons
INT: Van Berlo - Douglas - Grigg
SUB: Kelly

Pretty much what I have atm bar Grigg and Kelly. Id have Mackay in the side over Grigg. A lot of this depends on the last NAB cup game and how each of Grigg and Mackay play (if they play) but Mackay deserves the spot in the 22 and Grigg should be the one trying to push him out of the side.

Would also have Laird in the side based on pre-season form. I have no idea where, probably on the interchange and move Cameron to the sub role. Not sure Cameron has shown enough to warrant selecting him as a starting player. Is very much a burst player still.

CEY also pushing for a spot while Thommo and BoB are absent.

Last edited:
Pretty much what I have atm bar Grigg and Kelly. Id have Mackay in the side over Grigg. A lot of this depends on the last NAB cup game and how each of Grigg and Mackay play (if they play) but Mackay deserves the spot in the 22 and Grigg should be the one trying to push him out of the side.

Would also have Laird in the side based on pre-season form. I have no idea where, probably on the interchange and move Cameron to the sub role. Not sure Cameron has shown enough to warrant selecting him as a starting player. Is very much a burst player still.

CEY also pushing for a spot while Thommo and BoB are absent.

You know, i had a feeling i forgot about someone and Mackay is that person. I dunno with him personally, definitely an argument that he should be in but for me, he's depth as i reckon that lineup has more attacking potential than anything with Mackay included. Another player who needs a big season admittedly.

Laird, again it's the case of who to displace... i love that he's courageous, tough as nails and composed but it comes down to him vs Brown and i just rate Brown higher. Size is just a big killer in this game.

With Cameron, there is two things that play in his favor for selection; firstly the position he plays is small forward, which is very much a burst position and two the kid has got X-Factor. My thinking with him is if Walsh rates him as a long term small forward, he is in the side without question as we can pump games into him.

Kelly was a bit of a throwaway as i'd rotate the sub around a lot, i truly hate it in our game though.

Without breaking it down into positions, this is how I see us for round 1 (senior list and rookies who have played NAB Challenge):

Definitely in (12)
B Crouch
Van Berlo
Sloane
Talia
Walker
Hartigan (scary)
Brown
Betts
Jacobs
Douglas
Dangerfield
Smith

Definitely out (14)
Reilly
Thompson
Lever
Siggins
Atkins
Otten
Shaw
Wigg
Dear
Knight
Lowden
McGovern
M Crouch
Ramsey

Fighting for 10 spots (16)
Podsiadly
Jenkins

Grigg
Jaensch
Wright

Mackay
Kerridge
Cameron
Cheney
Lynch

Ellis-Yolmen
Laird

Lyons
Martin

O'Brien
Henderson

In green are the guys who I reckon, at this stage, make the 22. In red, the ones I reckon miss.

I think we structure forward with Tex and Jenkins as key forwards, Lynch as 3rd tall. Jenkins might be on notice, but I reckon he gets a gig in round 1 regardless. IN: Jenkins, Lynch.

The corollary of that is I reckon we go in with one ruckman, with Jenkins giving the chop out. ROB's inability to be a forward option works against him. He goes back to the SANFL to work on his ruck craft and see if he's capable of playing down back. OUT: O'Brien

Down back, we have Talia and Hartigan as the two KPDs. North run 3 big forwards, so we probably need Pods back there too, and Cheney helping out as a defensive minded mid-sized defender. IN: Podsiadly, Cheney.

That's 5 defenders taken care of, including 3 talls, one mid-sized and one small. All defensive minded guys, so we probably want two more attacking minded defenders. I feel sick leaving out Laird (who I prefer to both of these two), but Henderson and Jaensch probably fit the bill and give us the best balance. I still reckon Jaensch and Laird can't be in the same 22. IN: Jaensch, Henderson. OUT: Laird

That leaves 4 spots for the last 8 mids-forwards. Mackay/Martin and Lyons/CEY are similar types of players and I reckon we go with one of each. They are both toss ups but Martin probably won his shootout with Mackay in Geelong and Lyons' superior foot skills get him the nod over CEY (who is my first emergency). IN: Lyons, Martin. OUT: Mackay, Ellis-Yolmen.

That leaves two out of Grigg, Wright, Kerridge and Cameron. We all love Charlie but he has been very scratchy this pre-season and he's probably 4th in line. I'm not sure how much to read into Kerridge and Grigg (until being given a reprieve by Hendo's illness) being omitted for Geelong, but it says to me Wright is probably first in line. Which leaves Kerridge v Grigg for the last spot in the team. It has to go to the Roo-slayer. IN: Wright, Kerridge. OUT: Grigg, Cameron.
I know you have him in, but Jaensch in an absolute best 22 lock on 2014 form. Has improved in spades defensively, and is usually our main man from the kick ins. He is a long way ahead of Laird of those two are going for the same spot.

I know you have him in, but Jaensch in an absolute best 22 lock on 2014 form. Has improved in spades defensively, and is usually our main man from the kick ins. He is a long way ahead of Laird of those two are going for the same spot.

Don't disagree but the key words are "on 2014 form". This time last year we would have said the same thing but with the names reversed.

I don't trust that players who are average for extended periods and then have one good season will back it up.

Call me a cynic but I've been burned too many times. Knights 2009. Douglas 2010. Reilly 2012. Petrenko 2012. Otten 2013. Douglas 2013.

Jaensch is a prime regression to the mean candidate this year. He gets a gig round 1, sure. After the "automatic 12" he's probably close to the next name on the team sheet. But he's not a lock in the way Dangerfield, Sloane, Smith and Talia are.

Round 1

B: Cheney, Talia, Brown
Hb: jaensch, Hartigan, van berlo
c: Smith, b crouch, Sloane
Hf: lynch, walker, kerridge
f: Betts, Jenkins, Douglas
r: Jacobs, Lyons, Dangerfield
I: Henderson, MacKay, Grigg, Cameron

Assuming neither Thompson or m crouch will be match fit.

Last edited:
Round 1

Assuming neither Thompson or m crouch will be match fit.
Mine is very similar, although did you perhaps forget Douglas?

HB: Jaensch, Hartigan, van Berlo
C: Smith, Crouch, Sloane
HF: Lynch, Walker, Douglas
F: Betts, Jenkins, Cameron
R: Jacobs, Lyons, Dangerfield
I: Henderson, Kerridge, Grigg, Mackay

Can't see Pods not playing to be honest. He might not be "best 22" but you do have too factor in what the other mob are throwing at you. Would like to stretch norths average defence or heaven forbid to use on Petrie if he starts kicking goals.

I'm still not convinced on him, although I certainly concede he deserved his spot all of last year. I feel that he's one of the guys that needs to be surpassed if we're going to become a top 4 team. Our kick ins were a debacle last year, so it's not exactly high praise that he was responsible for most of them. Would love to know whether long and right was plan A or B. If B, it would be a fair indictment on him that he consistently failed to find a target in space.

Mine is very similar, although did you perhaps forget Douglas?

HB: Jaensch, Hartigan, van Berlo
HF: Lynch, Walker, Douglas
F: Betts, Jenkins, Cameron
R: Jacobs, Lyons, Dangerfield
I: Henderson, Kerridge, Grigg, Mackay
Whoops - thought I was missing someone!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm still not convinced on him, although I certainly concede he deserved his spot all of last year. I feel that he's one of the guys that needs to be surpassed if we're going to become a top 4 team. Our kick ins were a debacle last year, so it's not exactly high praise that he was responsible for most of them. Would love to know whether long and right was plan A or B. If B, it would be a fair indictment on him that he consistently failed to find a target in space.
But surely the answer to that is just ... don't have him kick-in?

Jaensch is best 22, easy.

I have a feeling going long and right was plan A through to Z.:p

Which game was it where we did the same all game long? I can't quite remember, but I suspect it was against the Eagles.

Last edited:
But he's talked up as being one of the 2 elite legs in our best 22. If not him, then who?
Kicking in has a lot more to do with execution - so choose someone who can do that.

Sure Jaensch can bomb the ball, but I'd prefer someone who can think through a situation - choose the right option and execute.

Jaesch also does that funny little dinky chip kick action when he kicks short that just hangs up there, and now I think about it he also takes on the mark too often for me.

In our squad, I wouldn't mind seeing VB have a go? He is pretty cool under pressure and can produce low hard accurate kicks. Don't know about Cheney, maybe Hendo? Smith is a good option because he widens the opportunities - but is wasted using that kick when really we could use it breaking lines up the field.

Not sure about other teams - who does it best?

I feel this is the year to really sus who is our best 22. There's no point in doing what we did last year and rotating 12 guys constantly. I would pick the best 22 for walshys game plan(which I'm sure he's doing) and the moment we get insipid efforts think Jenkins, you put an o'brien in or a Ramsey or lever and just get games into them. Too many players on our list now that have been around for long enough and we still don't know I they can play. Thanks sando

Kicking in has a lot more to do with execution - so choose someone who can do that.

Sure Jaensch can bomb the ball, but I'd prefer someone who can think through a situation - choose the right option and execute.

Jaesch also does that funny little dinky chip kick action when he kicks short that just hangs up there, and now I think about it he also takes on the mark too often for me.

In our squad, I wouldn't mind seeing VB have a go? He is pretty cool under pressure and can produce low hard accurate kicks. Don't know about Cheney, maybe Hendo? Smith is a good option because he widens the opportunities - but is wasted using that kick when really we could use it breaking lines up the field.

Not sure about other teams - who does it best?

Agree with all of that, which is why I'm not sold on Jaensch yet. His volume and effectiveness of kicks is padded by the dinky kick-in and then long to contest. Many posters rate his leg, but I don't think he sets up genuine attacking forays with it. Anyone can be trained to pound the ball to a contest 50m down the line.

FB: Cheney, Talia, Brown
HB: Henderson, Hartigan, Jaensch
HF: Lynch, Tex, Douglas
FF: Betts, Jenkins, Martin/Cameron (I think Martin is in front at this stage based on pre-season form)
R: Jacobs, Danger, Lyons (Thommo if fit)
I: Kerridge, Mackay, VB, Lyons/Grigg (Grigg falls to emergency if Thommo plays)

Not many have Laird in their best 22 however im hearing Walshy is a fan
I considered him but still believe best suited to a small defender & behind Brown & mj for now.

Imo, we have better midfield options.

Did andy otten play in his first year after being drafted by the crows? If im right i believe that he did and that his season was superb as a 3rd kpd. Id like to see what lever actually can do afl level. If he plays well in the sanfl first 5 rounds he plays afl for mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back