List Mgmt. Current Contract Status (Updated list in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember one of the journos down south was asked about Ainsworth last year and whether he was gettable. The answer was a firm no and that Ben was extremely committed to us with absolutely no intention of leaving. In terms of his progression, I think it's important to keep in mind that Ben initially made a name for himself as a small forward, which included AA selection as an underager, but improved his endurance enough to move into the midfield late in his junior career. Dew has flirted with the idea of playing Ainsworth in the midfield several times but I believe we've got far too much depth there now for Ben to play as a full time midfielder. Rankine certainly seems the most likely of our small forwards to end up in the midfield one day so Benny will just have to keep plugging away as a small forward and become more efficient in that role.

The main thing for me is that he needs to kick more goals than behinds. He just seems to kick too many behinds for my liking. If he improved his goalkicking to someone akin to Luke Bruest at Hawthorn then we'd have a very dangerous forward on our hands because there's nothing wrong with Ainsworth in terms of his physical attributes when talking about a small forward. He's quick, he can jump, he can hit targets etc. It's just the goalkicking accuracy that lets him down IMO.
We have to much midfield depth?
What team are you watching? We are seriously lacking in midfield depth.

We have to much midfield depth?
What team are you watching? We are seriously lacking in midfield depth.
Miller, Rowell, Anderson, Fiorini, Swallow, Ellis and Davies are clearly all ahead of Ainsworth in terms of the midfield. Other guys like Bowes, Rankine, Hollands, Flanders and Sharp are probably ahead of Ainsworth as well. Even Darcy Macpherson might be higher on the midfield ranking chart than Ainsworth.

All I'm saying is it would be very difficult for Ainsworth to get a full time gig in our midfield right now. Therefore he should focus on becoming a better and more efficient small forward for us.

Miller, Rowell, Anderson, Fiorini, Swallow, Ellis and Davies are clearly all ahead of Ainsworth in terms of the midfield. Other guys like Bowes, Rankine, Hollands, Flanders and Sharp are probably ahead of Ainsworth as well. Even Darcy Macpherson might be higher on the midfield ranking chart than Ainsworth.

All I'm saying is it would be very difficult for Ainsworth to get a full time gig in our midfield right now. Therefore he should focus on becoming a better and more efficient small forward for us.
He is a natural forward, hitting up at the ball with his acceleration and good vertical leap.
His excellent work rate allows him to work hard back into the forward 50 to create pressure, crumb or get involved

Don't think his subpar composure really lends itself to a midfield role - not sure why we would try and shoe horn him in there.

Ainsworth is a forward and a good one at that, I agree but we definitely don't have great midfield depth. Rowell, Ando and Touk are a good starting 3 but after that it seriously drops off.

POPULAR SUN ON BOARD FOR ANOTHER YEAR

GOLD Coast forward Nick Holman is signed through to the end of 2023 after quietly inking an extension ahead of this year.

Holman was due to come out of contract at the end of this season, when he would have qualified for free agency after being previously delisted by Carlton, where he started his AFL career.

But the popular 26-year-old extended his deal at the Suns through to the end of next year before this season and is enjoying a strong start to his 2022 campaign.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To help you :) here is my end dates for I believe wrong entries in your spreadsheet.

Not sure if we gave 1 or 2 years to Uwland as rookie and I believe Rosas extension was not announced (originally signed for 2 years during 2019 draft).

Chol 2025
Ellis 2024
Ainsworth 2024
Miller 2027
Day 2023
Thompson 2023
Sharp 2023
Tsitas 2022
Lemmens 2024
Collins 2025
Flanders 2023
Casboult 2022
Andrew 2025
?Uwland 2022
Constable 2023
King 2024
Budarick 2025
Hollands 2024
Nicholls 2022
Jeffrey 2024
?Rosas 2023
Murtagh 2022
Macpherson 2024
Brock 2022
Oea 2022
Conroy 2022
Moyle 2024
Farrar 2023

It looks like Constable got only 1 year contract from Suns.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

*Previously delisted

GOLD COAST​

Levi Casboult*
Charlie Constable*
Jez McLennan*

Big rumour SUNS have offered Taylor Walker a 2year contract.
Please no .
Would just becoming for superannuation payment.
Too much baggage.

Big rumour SUNS have offered Taylor Walker a 2year contract.
Please no .
Would just becoming for superannuation payment.
Too much baggage.

I doubt that is true. Just being floated by his manager to try and get an old player with no leverage a 2 year deal.

Be disappointing for the indigenous and Sudanese players we have...
Wouldn't be against him for that reason. Made a bad mistake yeah but he's shown he's very remorseful and done everything he can to patch up relationships with those he has hurt. Id be more thinking is he what we need, with King back in and chol and casboult doing well its not really a real need in my opinion. He is still a very good player though so wouldn't surprise if he did get some interest from a few clubs

Wouldn't be against him for that reason. Made a bad mistake yeah but he's shown he's very remorseful and done everything he can to patch up relationships with those he has hurt. Id be more thinking is he what we need, with King back in and chol and casboult doing well its not really a real need in my opinion. He is still a very good player though so wouldn't surprise if he did get some interest from a few clubs
Sure but do all our players of colour see it that way? Big risk...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back