List Mgmt. Current Contract Status (Updated list in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

You could be right but Ashcroft said they are going to pick up more rookies later this year. Probably a combination of mature talent outside of QLD and some young locals as well. I guess we'll just have to wait and see but theoretically there are 7 open spots on their senior list right now with a minimum of 3 to be used on draftees.

Does that include Nick Malceski?

Does that include Nick Malceski?
It does. Malceski bumped the senior list to 33. So if the Suns really wanted to they could still try and gain four more players through trades and free agency. I doubt it though, I think they'll recruit some rookies and only go with 38 senior listed players. That would allow for two more players to be recruited through free agency/trades. Christensen, Merrett and Robinson seem to be the targets with Beams an outside chance if things don't work out with Brisbane.

Christensen and Merrett would probably be the ones I'd like to recruit, presuming Beams goes to the Lions. Then add Weller plus two other players from the draft and you have a very successful off season. If anyone can do it, Clayton can.

Article in the GC Bulletin today says the Suns will increase their rookie list from four in 2014 to eight in 2015. Eight is the league maximum. This means they will only be allowed 38 players on their senior list. The senior list stands at 33 right now with a minimum of three spots to be taken by draftees. So they have two spots left to fill but Josh Hall would appear to complicate things. If Josh Hall gets upgraded (as we expect) then the Suns have just one spot left to fill on the senior list.

Article in the GC Bulletin today says the Suns will increase their rookie list from four in 2014 to eight in 2015. Eight is the league maximum. This means they will only be allowed 38 players on their senior list. The senior list stands at 33 right now with a minimum of three spots to be taken by draftees. So they have two spots left to fill but Josh Hall would appear to complicate things. If Josh Hall gets upgraded (as we expect) then the Suns have just one spot left to fill on the senior list.

I don't think that is a problem, if we don't get Christensen (as expected) we will still have a spot open for the Delisted players draft

9 is the maximum. If definitely getting 8 rookies that's either 5 Cat A + 3 Cat B Rookies (39 senior list) or 6 Cat A + 2 Cat B Rookies (38 senior list).

Josh Hall shouldn't complicate things that much, he'd just take the last draft pick you use in the draft, currently #49. Five list spots, five draft picks: #8, #15, #29, #47, #49 (Hall upgrade). Which means there's four picks that are wasted (#66, #84, #102, #120), so could use first couple to package up in any trade deal.

What I think is more interesting is whom out of the academy kids you're going to select because eight rookies means there's going to be at least two Cat B rookies on your list and heard nothing about Gold Coast signing any Americans or Irishmen. It would be from this list:

Gold Coast Suns: Ryan Agita (Broadbeach), Robert Blood (Southport Sharks), James Farley-Smith (Surfers Paradise), Cassidy Haberfield (Surfers Paradise), Isaac Hay (Broadbeach), James Holland (Southport), Tom Michael (Redland), Dylan Mutu (Surfers Paradise), Braydon Preuss (Surfers Paradise).

I think you can lock Braydon Preuss in there. 205cm Ruck/Forward. Info from Emma Quayle article:

Braydon Preuss (Mt Gravatt)

Born 16.1.1995, 205cm, 102kg

AFL biography: Ruckman and tall forward who can present well on the lead and mark one on one. Good set shot for goal. From a rugby league background in Townsville.

Adrian Fletcher, AFL Queensland high performance coach: "This kid has power, but people don't know it yet. He hasn't had much continuity with his fitness, he had an ankle injury last year, but he's a 204 centimetre player who is smart around the ground and can get to the goal square and take a mark."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...he-ruckmen-20141001-10op78.html#ixzz3Flp8xpjI

Apart from him, no idea on the others. Holland and Mutu went to u18 champs, maybe them.

9 is the maximum. If definitely getting 8 rookies that's either 5 Cat A + 3 Cat B Rookies (39 senior list) or 6 Cat A + 2 Cat B Rookies (38 senior list).

Josh Hall shouldn't complicate things that much, he'd just take the last draft pick you use in the draft, currently #49. Five list spots, five draft picks: #8, #15, #29, #47, #49 (Hall upgrade). Which means there's four picks that are wasted (#66, #84, #102, #120), so could use first couple to package up in any trade deal.

What I think is more interesting is whom out of the academy kids you're going to select because eight rookies means there's going to be at least two Cat B rookies on your list and heard nothing about Gold Coast signing any Americans or Irishmen. It would be from this list:

Gold Coast Suns: Ryan Agita (Broadbeach), Robert Blood (Southport Sharks), James Farley-Smith (Surfers Paradise), Cassidy Haberfield (Surfers Paradise), Isaac Hay (Broadbeach), James Holland (Southport), Tom Michael (Redland), Dylan Mutu (Surfers Paradise), Braydon Preuss (Surfers Paradise).

I think you can lock Braydon Preuss in there. 205cm Ruck/Forward. Info from Emma Quayle article:

Apart from him, no idea on the others. Holland and Mutu went to u18 champs, maybe them.
Josh Hall is a problem in that he'll take a spot on the senior list that could be used for someone else of more quality. It's probably fair to assume (at this point) that the Suns have a maximum of two more spots on their senior list. Fair chance Andrew Boston will be upgraded if they don't acquire anyone else.

Preuss is definitely the leading candid to be picked up out of the academy and I'm sure the Suns will look into it given they were playing without a ruckman for some of 2015. Doesn't seem to be much more quality coming out of the Suns' zone this year with the exception of Lachie Weller who can't be academy drafted anyway. I think the Suns will look into recruiting some rookies out of the VFL, SANFL and/or WAFL.

Josh Hall is a problem in that he'll take a spot on the senior list that could be used for someone else of more quality. It's probably fair to assume (at this point) that the Suns have a maximum of two more spots on their senior list. Fair chance Andrew Boston will be upgraded if they don't acquire anyone else.

Preuss is definitely the leading candid to be picked up out of the academy and I'm sure the Suns will look into it given they were playing without a ruckman for some of 2015. Doesn't seem to be much more quality coming out of the Suns' zone this year with the exception of Lachie Weller who can't be academy drafted anyway. I think the Suns will look into recruiting some rookies out of the VFL, SANFL and/or WAFL.

I still think Josh Hall will be axed , think they are holding on to him atm just in case they cant find another tall .

Agree with Pruess , will be a project though , cant see him playing in the first few years . Out of that bunch you have named Holland is by far the best of the bunch , not convinced on Mutu . Cornish will be named a rookie if he doesn't get pivcked in the draft . We also played a more mature body late in the season called Greg Friis who performed well , think he is 21 or 22 , can only imagine we brought him into the fold to look at him , time will tell I guess. We played a few that are not ready to be drafted last season that will be running around again , one that they have high hopes for is Woosup , keep a eye on him this season , hope he goes to the next level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Josh Hall isn't worth a speculative over 60 pick in the draft than he probably should be delisted.

Drafting/Rookie Upgrading doesn't have to be as rigid as you make it appear. Yes, Suns could go with 38 players on the senior list, but they can draft all those remaining players if they wish, it doesn't have to be just three selections only in the National Draft. There's multiple avenues at play, with trading in an option too.

With Josh Hall either delisted/promoted (three years is up) and Osborne already cut, there's no worry about needing to promote anyone else either, they can all be retained on the rookie list.

Actually, hadn't realised that Boston and Ellis were Cat B Rookies. That means it's likely only Preuss from the academy being selected. So that fits.

3 Cat B Rookies means 5 Cat A ones to get the 8 rookie number from article. So Herbert + 4 rookies from the rookie draft. 5 Cat A rookies means another possible Senior List Spot (see table from before).

Last edited:
If Josh Hall isn't worth a speculative over 60 pick in the draft than he probably should be delisted.

Drafting/Rookie Upgrading doesn't have to be as rigid as you make it appear. Yes, Suns could go with 38 players on the senior list, but they can draft all those remaining players if they wish, it doesn't have to be just three selections only in the National Draft. There's multiple avenues at play, with trading in an option too.

With Josh Hall either delisted/promoted (three years is up) and Osborne already cut, there's no worry about needing to promote anyone else either, they can all be retained on the rookie list.

Actually, hadn't realised that Boston and Leslie were Cat B Rookies. That means it's likely only Preuss from the academy being selected. So that fits.

3 Cat B Rookies means 5 Cat A ones to get the 8 rookie number from article. So Herbert + 4 rookies from the rookie draft. 5 Cat A rookies means another possible Senior List Spot (see table from before).
Leslie is on the primary list , Boston still a rookie.

I still think Josh Hall will be axed , think they are holding on to him atm just in case they cant find another tall .

It's possible. They had a serious shortage of talls this season due to injuries so they might keep him on even if they do pick up another tall. The guy has a lot of work to do if he wants to continue his career beyond next season. He has the same body type as Westhoff so there is definitely a spot for him if he can improve.

Actually, hadn't realised that Boston and Leslie were Cat B Rookies. That means it's likely only Preuss from the academy being selected. So that fits.

I'm not sure what requirements they have because it's the first season in their existence that they'll be operating on the same level as every other team in the AFL (besides GWS). They may very well be required to go down to 38 for just one season and then they have free reign to do what they like.

Boston, Hall and Ellis are Cat B rookies. Hall will be upgraded or delisted so I guess that makes one spot available as a Cat B rookie and that will probably be Preuss. As you pointed out, Herbert + 4 other Cat A rookies appears to be in their plans. So, like I said in my last post, it's fair to assume they have a maximum of two spots left to fill on their senior list. If they choose to delist Josh Hall then that number bumps up to three open spots on their senior list.

If they can't get anyone else then they'll probably upgrade both Boston and Hall to the senior list which will take them to 38 when the three extra draftees are added in. Then I'd imagine they would pick up two Cat B rookies from their academy to fill the max three spots with another 4-5 Cat A rookies joining Herbert. So 38 senior listed player, 3 Cat B rookies and 5-6 Cat A rookies. Entirely possible if they can't get any other players to the club through trades or free agency.

Leslie is on the primary list , Boston still a rookie.
Sorry meant Ellis there, too many names in head. He and Boston are Cat B Rookies.

If they can't get anyone else then they'll probably upgrade both Boston and Hall to the senior list which will take them to 38 when the three extra draftees are added in.
You do understand - it doesn't have to be just three draftees? It can be more.

Herbert + 4 other Cat A rookies appears to be in their plans.
5 Cat A rookies means 39 senior players.
So 38 senior listed player, 3 Cat B rookies and 6 Cat A rookies. Entirely possible if they can't get any other players to the club through trades or free agency.
8-9 rookies is a lot. End of the day, I think they'll make the decision on draft night whether to pick in the national draft or get that extra player in the rookie.

That's really the only difference

Sorry meant Ellis there, too many names in head. He and Boston are Cat B Rookies.

Correct.

You do understand - it doesn't have to be just three draftees? It can be more.

That's true. Didn't really go through my head just because I'm so used to them only being able to draft three players. I guess they can draft 4-5 players and not recruit anyone else.

5 Cat A rookies means 39 senior players.

Yeah but there is no guarantee they will use all those spots. They've never had more than five rookies in their history but have always been allowed more.

8-9 rookies is a lot. End of the day, I think they'll make the decision on draft night whether to pick in the national draft or get that extra player in the rookie.

You're probably right. I'm just going on what the article said.

Yeah but there is no guarantee they will use all those spots. They've never had more than five rookies in their history but have always been allowed more.
For sure but just realise that it's senior spots that dictate the number of rookies a team can have, not the other way round.

Having 3 Cat B is rather unusual, so that beefs up the numbers.

The article stated "maximum number of 8" but it wasn't a quote so I'm not sure if the journo knew the rules exactly, or is just inferring 5+3 (39).

I have to admit I'm very perplexed how Josh Hall gets a senior list spot next season. I know he's tall, and can jump, but really hasn't shown much in the NEAFL, and sweet bugger all in his 5 senior games. To me he is going to be a list clogger for the next cpl years if had does get promoted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back