News Cyril and Shannyn Rioli speak to Caro - link to club statement in page 8

Remove this Banner Ad

The player who made that racist slur should come forward, and also the players who were there and said nothing should apologise.

I don't get the big deal about the jeans, sounds like a dad joke. Rude, sure. Racist? Idk.

Agree, the player needs to come forward. Would be interested to know whether the player currently plays for us, or for someone else (was that clarified?).

Wow, you need to get educated on the issues here.

Has your dad made these comments to grand children who have been made to feel like second class citizens since they were brought into the world?
Have they watched as their cousins were incarcerated, beaten by cops or drunk themselves to death without a single care from the wider society because of who they are?
Have they been told that their feelings don’t matter?

The false equivalence in your post is embarrassing.
Well I live in Cambodia and have Khmer staff that wear ripped jeans from time to time because it's part of their fashion and I have made the same jokes to them. The only reactions I ever get are laugh's and giggles and a bit of banter back and the reason being is I'm 25 years older than most of them and They understand I wouldn't have a clue about young people's fashion.Not for an instant would they take that as looking down on them and Im sure your aware that Cambodia is one of the poorest countries on the planet.
But hey maybe Im wrong and people take things much differently in Australia these days.

Funny Caro didn't seek comment from Clarkson or Burgoyne. Luckily Hawks4Change had an unnamed spokesman available for comment. Pity they didn't mention the current racist player.

So who made the racist remark? Current players:
  • Gunston
  • Breust
  • Shiels

Or former players:
  • Franklin (obviously not)
  • Hill (obviously not)
  • Anderson (obviously not)
  • TOB
  • Ceglar
  • Duryea
  • Smith

Last edited:
Well I live in Cambodia and have Khmer staff that wear ripped jeans from time to time because it's part of their fashion and I have made the same jokes to them. The only reactions I ever get are laugh's and giggles and a bit of banter back and the reason being is I'm 25 years older than most of them and They understand I wouldn't have a clue about young people's fashion.Not for an instant would they take that as looking down on them and Im sure your aware that Cambodia is one of the poorest countries on the planet.
But hey maybe Im wrong and people take things much differently in Australia these days.
Or you know, maybe it’s completely irrelevant to historical issues in Australia and how Indigenous people are treated.

Amazing that would even need to be pointed out.

I'm far more concerned about the comment "is his GF a "racial slur" too " from a senior player in 2013 than anything Jeff said tbh.

Jeff is a blowhard, and an old blowhard. He says things that make you facepalm.

But he definitely didn't say anything remotely racist here. He said something creditworthy that he thought was funny. It was manipulated into something it was not.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people who hate Jeff mostly for political reasons and that blinds logic. From that point it becomes a "get Jeff at all costs" drive. If the target was someone on the other side of the political spectrum you can bet your bottom dollar the reaction from those people would be vastly different.

Feeling really disappointed as a supporter today. Especially with the comment made at the end of 2013 and no action being taken to address it. Really disappointed and it hurts knowing one of our club greats got to a point of having enough of it that he left and won’t come back in any capacity. Sad day.
Some may say it's an overreaction, wrongfully so. Whoever made that comment should have been sacked from the club and receive a life ban from playing in the AFL. Disgusting.

This article is a total hatchet job from Caro on our great club. While Jeff is the focus due to his profile, he was not president for Cyril’s entire tenure at Hawthorn and many of the incidents alluded to took place when Jeff was not president.
The article implicates great servants of the club such as Hodge, Lewis, Roughead, Dicker, Clarkson, Robson, Fox, Fagan, Wright, Evans, Newbold, Mitchell who were all in leadership positions at the club in Cyril’s time and are therefore, according to the article, complicit in the racism directed toward The Riolis or the unwillingness to make change.
Nowhere in the article does Wilson give any of these people an opportunity to give the club’s side of the story.
I’m no fan of Jeff, he needs to go, but this article is an attempt at derailing our club by Wilson, again.
I’m sure what the Riolis are saying has foundation, but to just blame Jeff is not fair and it’s also not fair to implicate so many greats of our club without giving them an opportunity to give their side too.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Here Here!

The absolute facts are these:

Adam Goodes was booed by Hawthorn fans for a couple of years because of his actions against Hawthorn. He dived and cheated, but the one moment that was never forgotten or forgiven was the sliding of his knees into Josh Gibson's shins, which was extremely close to breaking his legs.

The year after when the booing continued, Caroline Wilson wrote an article that manipulated these events into the idea that he was being booed because of his race, which was an outrageous lie. However there was definitely an AFL-pushed agenda behind this one: get Hawthorn's fans off his back at all costs. So they went the race card.

How did that play out? Everyone else started booing him because they could see it as that.

At that point some racists definitely jumped on board and muddied all of that up.

I was at those games when those earlier moments happened. I laughed when the article was written. I still cannot believe how those events have been manipulated to this day.

I feel for Adam Goodes. He only deserved the boos of Hawthorn fans. The AFL and its media partners tried to quell those, but instead turned the whole competition's fan base onto him.

Tell yourself whatever you like about what actually happened back then. If it's not in the order as above, you're lying.
Ugh. Really? I really can’t be bothered diving into something that’s been rehashed on this website and everywhere else a million times. The booing of Goodes (and I was at those games), ramped up considerably after he became Australian of the year. There’s the facts. This was significant at Hawks games and your happy coincidence argument that it was about knees and frees just doesn’t stack up to what actually happened.

There’s plenty of info out there and two or three docs if you’re interested.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And FWIW, whatever player made a racist comment about Cyril should have been clipped when it happened. Why Cyril didn't say something I can't know. I wish he had. That stuff in 2013 was well and truly not on.

It's annoying that it's a thing now. Even if the player is at the club now, what would be the point? The moment is well and truly gone.

But the idea that the entire club needs to be flipped upside down because of a single cretin's comment 8 years ago is absolute Twitter-grade rubbish. It's ludicrous.
Cyril probably didn’t say anything because it can only be racist if a person meant it to be racist and no one ever admits to making a racist statement intentionally so he should just shut up 🤷‍♂️

#i’mnotracist
#butilldefendanyoneaccusedofracism

This article is a total hatchet job from Caro on our great club. While Jeff is the focus due to his profile, he was not president for Cyril’s entire tenure at Hawthorn and many of the incidents alluded to took place when Jeff was not president.
The article implicates great servants of the club such as Hodge, Lewis, Roughead, Dicker, Clarkson, Robson, Fox, Fagan, Wright, Evans, Newbold, Mitchell who were all in leadership positions at the club in Cyril’s time and are therefore, according to the article, complicit in the racism directed toward The Riolis or the unwillingness to make change.
Nowhere in the article does Wilson give any of these people an opportunity to give the club’s side of the story.
I’m no fan of Jeff, he needs to go, but this article is an attempt at derailing our club by Wilson, again.
I’m sure what the Riolis are saying has foundation, but to just blame Jeff is not fair and it’s also not fair to implicate so many greats of our club without giving them an opportunity to give their side too.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Actually if you read the article, and listened to Caro today, she emphasised that most of the events that occurred were under Newbolds watch, and she stressed that Jeffs comments were just the icing on the cake.

As for it being a hatchet job, this wasn’t an opinion piece. All facts, on the record.

Deja vu. This is a story we all debated and were pissed off with Kennett about four years ago, so why is it the headline story today?

It doesn't matter if Kennetts comments were racists or not or even if Cyril found them racist it's what happened after and the lack of action that's the issue, something doesn't automatically have to be racist just because a person was insulted by it but that aslo doesn't mean there isn't an issue to tackle

• Gunston
  • Breust
  • Shiels

Or former players:
  • Hill (obviously not)
  • TOB
  • Ceglar
  • Duryea
  • Smith

I'm hoping it's not why a Hawks senior player has been conspicuously missing from team sheets and recent training, but would make sense.
If I had to guess who it was directed at, probably Buddy or Jed. Not Cyril.

Hawthorn may have known the article was coming out for a little while now and what was being alleged.
Maybe why Brocky went home for a bit too.

I'm hoping it's not why a Hawks senior player has been conspicuously missing from team sheets and recent training, but would make sense.
If I had to guess who it was directed at, probably Buddy or Jed. Not Cyril.

Hawthorn may have known the article was coming out for a little while now and what was being alleged.
Maybe why Brocky went home for a bit too.
i think they are unrelated, not sure the club knew this was coming out before the last couple of days

Your intentions don’t absolve you of your duty to uphold the law.

For example, your intention to rape someone is irrelevant if you have sex with them without their consent.

Your intention might be a mitigating factor in your sentence but it doesn’t change your guilt.

The president of a football club absolutely must make it his business to know the cultural context in which indigenous people exist and do his upmost to educate himself so that he does not make remarks that will cause offence. It is also his responsibility to ensure everyone at the club has the same understanding. This goes for newbold or Jeff or anyone else. This must happen. But it didn’t. And we as a club are far worse for it.

Last edited:
  • Gunston
  • Breust
  • Shiels

Or former players:
  • Hill (obviously not)
  • TOB
  • Ceglar
  • Duryea
  • Smith
6ad4ba6ec250272eb6695e33954f6b9e.png

Anyone know when this revision was made?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back