News Cyril and Shannyn Rioli speak to Caro - link to club statement in page 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Really disappointed with Burgoyne. I had high hopes that he could be a significant bridge between cultures. His lack of support for Cyril and ignoring Shannyn shows he is not the man I thought he was. Not his fault that I thought so highly of him. Hopefully, Betts will be more a man you can rely upon.
I hope you don't do jury duty too often. We have one source only and whilst I found that article deeply troubling and feel a lot of sympathy for the Rioli's and the pain they are going through, there was nothing in that article which made me think that Burgoyne is anything other than the decent man I've always thought him to be. He might have thought he was supporting Cyril Rioli. He might have not spoken to Cyril's wife, Shannyn, for any number of reasons, if that's what he did. We simply don't know. We don't have those details. Estrangements are very complex. This one will be too. I for one am not about to throw away years of evidence of an individual's good character based on the limited amount we know.

And goodness knows what Eddie Betts has got to do with any of this.

Yeah I’m sick of this argument still going on

(a) some people booed based on stuff not racist
(b) some people booed based on racism
(c) Goodes said stop because some of it was racist
(d) The booers who booed for other reasons kept booing along with the racist booers
(e) They thought they weren’t racist still
(f) the booing became insane as the “not racist” booers didn’t like that he was complaining and they had a right to boo.
(g) the racist booers loved it and booed louder
(h) it turned into a “why can’t he be like Eddie Betts” or Nicky Windmar thing
(i) everyone booing ended up racist because they didn’t Farkn care about how he felt and were total campaigners if I’m frank
(j) it became about how he was a whinger and was akin to really s**t bullying

As above, it wasn’t the same people continuing to boo him, it was different games with different crowds

I hope you don't do jury duty too often. We have one source only and whilst I found that article deeply troubling and feel a lot of sympathy for the Rioli's and the pain they are going through, there was nothing in that article which made me think that Burgoyne is anything other than the decent man I've always thought him to be. He might have thought he was supporting Cyril Rioli. He might have not spoken to Cyril's wife, Shannyn, for any number of reasons, if that's what he did. We simply don't know. We don't have those details. Estrangements are very complex. This one will be too. I for one am not about to throw away years of evidence of an individual's good character based on the limited amount we know.

It’s a little simplistic that because a group of people have the same ethnicity, they think alike on every subject. We need to think about our own attitude if we think that. Not accusing you of that by the way.

I have to say that I am disappointed in the doubling down and lack of reflection in this thread.

You don't always have to defend your position or create some mental gymnastics to get yourself out of said position. It's ok to admit you were wrong and trying to understand. It's also ok to stop yourself, not post anything and listen to what is being said.

It’s a little simplistic that because a group of people have the same ethnicity, they think alike on every subject. We need to think about our own attitude if we think that. Not accusing you of that by the way.
I completely agree - it's ridiculous to think that people of the same ethnicity think alike on every subject. It's a very sensitive situation so it's tough to get things across in the way you want to but simply put Burgoyne would have had his own thoughts on the whole situation and I for one back his character. Also, I'm not sure it needs to be said but given how much gets misunderstood on this board I also believe that Rioli is a very decent man. He's my all-time favourite player.

Last edited:
But unless a person at the hawthorn game who bood Goodes, then purposely attended every subsequent game involving Goodesmany of them not in Victoria, , and continued to boo, than that didn’t happen.
Different groups of people continued to boo Goodes. Not a great chapter all round but a lot of people on the ‘they re racist’ side have gilded th lily somewhat.
They did , but maybe as club and group of supporters we should have been better than that ?
Shown leadership in the competition ?

I completely agree - it's ridiculous to think that people of the same ethnicity think alike on every subject. It's a very sensitive situation so it's tough to get things across in the way you want to but simply put Burgoyne would have had his own thoughts on the whole situation and I for one back his character. Also, I'm not sure it needs to be said but given how much gets misunderstood on this board I also believe that Rioli is a very decent man. He's my all-time favourite player.

He is. Which is why the conclusion is there was enough for him to pull the pin like he did. People can argue dad jokes semantics all they want.
It telling that. A lot more non hawk posters in here want to go the dad joke line. Not so much the hawk posters. I’m ashamed as I imagine a whole lot more are.

Hadn't seen this until just now.

Hawthorn premiership player Chance Bateman says it is vital for his former club and the football community to acknowledge and respect the reasons behind former teammate Cyril Rioli and partner Shannyn Ah Sam-Rioli’s decision to end their association with the Hawks in 2018.
The pair outlined the experiences that revealed a lack of cultural awareness within the club and led to Rioli exiting the game and return to the Northern Territory aged 28 with the champion forward saying: “I wouldn’t go back to Hawthorn after what’s gone on.”
Bateman, who played alongside Rioli in the 2008 premiership and was the first Indigenous person to play 100 games at the Hawks, said he felt heartbroken for Cyril and Shannyn and was saddened when he read of their experiences.
“If that is the way Cyril feels, and Shannyn as well, it is important that we acknowledge those feelings and respect them because that is how they feel about their experience throughout that time,” Bateman said.

“It is really important that their feelings and thoughts aren’t dismissed or played down.”
Bateman, a Noongar man of Ballardong country, said that unless that was done, there was a risk the club and the football community would not do the work required to learn from such experiences.
Rioli played in four Hawthorn flags, won the 2015 Norm Smith medal and is regarded as one of the most exciting players to ever play the game kicking 275 goals in 189 games.

Bateman, who is now an Indigenous liaison officer at West Coast, said the 32-year-old was a critical reason why Hawthorn experienced a golden era under Alastair Clarkson’s coaching with premierships in 2008, 2013, 2014 and 2015.

He said the pair’s experiences was another reminder about how much work remained to address the issues within football clubs and the wider community to make environments culturally safe.
“It doesn’t matter what industry you are in, whether it be the AFL, AFL footy club or any sort of corporate organisation the journey for reconciliation is ongoing and never ending,” Bateman said.
“There are enormous challenges along the way, there are going to be mistakes, there are going to be things you don’t do as well as you thought you were doing but it is all about continuous education, awareness and looking at ways you can improve.
“It’s not just Hawthorn and not just the AFL but a lot of the time we can give ourselves a bit of a pat on the back for all the great stuff we are doing without actually knowing there is some of this stuff rumbling in the background.”

By that definition Chris Rock's joke was racist because he didn't take Jada's personal circumstances into account. I wouldn't even call it 'baldist'. Sometimes people just aren't aware of other's circumstances or sensitivities and it's nothing more than that.

With something like jeans where the rip is a fashion choice, its a stretch to say that this would be obviously offensive to someone of indigenous background, or a person with a poor background. It sounds like an argument made purely
  • Xavier Ellis
  • Sam Mitchell
  • Luke McPharlin
  • Trent Croad
  • Ryan Burton
  • Isaac Smith
  • Taylor Duyrea
  • Matt Suckling
  • Shane Savage
  • Jordan Lewis
  • Clinton Young
  • Stephen Gilham
  • Tom Murphy
  • Mitch Hallahan
  • Campbell Brown
  • Luke Hodge
  • Grant Birchall
  • Mark Pittonet

FFS. Not. Everything. Is. Racist.

Players change sides from time to time.
I admire your passion, but Mitch Hallahan wasn’t AFL standard and you’ve engaged in classic “false equivalence”.

Your list is non-indigenous. They are not the same as my list. Plus I forgot to add Brad Hill and Mark Williams. 👍
I have to say that I am disappointed in the doubling down and lack of reflection in this thread.

You don't always have to defend your position or create some mental gymnastics to get yourself out of said position. It's ok to admit you were wrong and trying to understand. It's also ok to stop yourself, not post anything and listen to what is being said.
Anyone here pushing back against the view that Jeff / HFC have let indigenous players / families down and refuse to acknowledge the jeans incident was racially offensive, would do well to grab a cuppa and read this article.

Yes, this is all correct.

But, apparently on 3AW on Wednesday morning she stated she wouldn’t name the offending player because they are still at the club. Also apparently stated ‘they both are’. (Source: another thread on this forum)

I’m not sure what she means by both - the senior player asking and the player who he asked? Or the senior player asking and the player he was referencing?

There are no indigenous players left from 2013 at hawthorn in any capacity (happy to be proven otherwise). The only players that would have been considered ‘senior’ at that time that are still at the club are Mitchell and Hale, and the only indigenous players from the 2013 list that are still playing are Bradley Hill and… Jed Anderson?

All theorising here, happy to be told something more substantial.
Ah fair enough I didn’t hear the 3AW interview

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Jeff's rudeness is unforgivable. Burgoyne's was OK. Why did Shann mention it?

So an indigenous person had to meet a white person on terms decided by the white person? How do you think that situation plays out if Clarko suggested he would make a trip to see Rioli at a time and place of rioli’s choosing regardless of whether or not Clarko had other reasons to be there?

Stretching now.

Clarko would have made the suggestion thinking it was an activity that Cyril obviously loves, on his home court, and putting him in the most 'comfy' comfort zone he could imagine....probably one they've shared before.
Had Rioli appreciated the effort of reaching out but the activity and timing was off, could have easily asked to schedule something different.

It's clear Cyril is completely uninterested in any sort of reconcilliation right now irrespective of how many try or how great the effort is.
TBH, it was an unmistakeable backhander at Clarko making himself unavailable in both the manner and with the reasoning given.

Last edited:
Mikey13G seeing as you want to troll-like and LOL at posts here you’re going to lose that ability.

P.s Port are shithouse.

Does anyone understand why this interview occurred other than another attempt to slander the club?

If Nardia Bartel was the partner involved would half these discussions be happening?

Racism exists everywhere. Only the aboriginal players within the club can honestly speak on how well they felt they were supported.

I honestly hope this isn’t part of a political attack on Jeff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone understand why this interview occurred other than another attempt to slander the club?

If Nardia Bartel was the partner involved would half these discussions be happening?

Racism exists everywhere. Only the aboriginal players within the club can honestly speak on how well they felt they were supported.

I honestly hope this isn’t part of a political attack on Jeff.

Maybe stop to think about the fact that one of our greatest players turned his back on the club and wants nothing to do with us and if that is in fact a massive story rather than pondering that it’s just a political attack on our big mouthed cretin of a president.

Maybe stop to think about the fact that one of our greatest of a players turned his back on the club and wants nothing to do with us and if that is in fact a massive story rather than pondering that it’s just a political attack on our big mouthed cretin of a president.

This story has been doing the rounds within footy circles following Cyril’s retirement.

It’s a fair question to ask. Why now?

It’s not out of this realm to suggest given the amount of heat aimed toward JK to ask what the motivations are.

Not for one moment am I questioning the validity of how the Rioli family feel. Their actions as well as their words clearly express how upset they are at the club.

This story has been doing the rounds within footy circles following Cyril’s retirement.

It’s a fair question to ask. Why now?

It’s not out of this realm to suggest given the amount of heat aimed toward JK to ask what the motivations are.

Not for one moment am I questioning the validity of how the Rioli family feel. Their actions as well as their words clearly express how upset they are at the club.

Why now?

Because Shannyn is working in Melbourne and was open to talking about the situation.

So Caro sits down and interviews every WAG that works in Melbourne?

It’s naive not to look at the greater Hawthorn landscape when bodies are being dug up.

Does every WAG centre around the rumored reasons for their husband’s hasty retirement?
Does every WAG live in Darwin for a large period of time before moving back to Melbourne and becoming accessible?

The last president fell on his sword for less. If anything Jeff is a protected species and yes I vote labor, and no I don’t want any ex politician in the presidency.

Which is fine, but the pile-on from some is very transparent.

FWIW I think Jeff is a flog. BUT he has also done some good for our club and that cannot be dismissed.

Ugh. Really? I really can’t be bothered diving into something that’s been rehashed on this website and everywhere else a million times. The booing of Goodes (and I was at those games), ramped up considerably after he became Australian of the year. There’s the facts. This was significant at Hawks games and your happy coincidence argument that it was about knees and frees just doesn’t stack up to what actually happened.

There’s plenty of info out there and two or three docs if you’re interested.

Another person trying to tell me what I lived and saw with my own eyes was all fake. I was living in the Matrix obviously.

It's the documentaries that tell the real truth. They're so great. They're definitely not deliberately made to push a specific agenda or angle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back