Cyril Hamstrung? He's ready to go for Box Hill!

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm probabaly going to get shot down for this but is there any chance Cyril would replace Duryea? It's been suggested before on another thread that the backline would require less burst speed in particular plays than playing in the forward line. Sizzle did play some time down back in the pre-season comp from memory and killed it down there too. Obviously if we need a match winning goal or 2 he moves to FF and nails it :$ job done

i like the way Garry Lyon put it the other night.
ramp up his training so much that you are actually trying to tear his hamstring.
If he gets thru it, he plays.

its happened before, the one i can think of was alan richardson in 1990.
got through the majority of a fitness test on a broken collarbone in the week of the GF, then when he wasnt expecting it, leigh matthews hit him with a massive hip and shoulder. he went down, couldnt get up, and didnt play 2 days later.

pretty sure mick mathouse missed a grand final in much the same fashion as well.
Fyck that's hardcore.

if Cyril is fit and we make the grand final against the swans he is a must to start as Nick Smith will go to Cyril and may beat him but it will free up Breust to dominate, if cyril doesnt play then breust will be in for a very tough time and our forward line will be a lot less potent. Simpkins only chance is if the match committee look back at his role on Malcheski and try that again as being on balance a better result for the team

if Cyril is fit and we make the grand final against the swans he is a must to start as Nick Smith will go to Cyril and may beat him but it will free up Breust to dominate, if cyril doesnt play then breust will be in for a very tough time and our forward line will be a lot less potent. Simpkins only chance is if the match committee look back at his role on Malcheski and try that again as being on balance a better result for the team

Breustt gave Smith a football lesson earlier in the year......Bresut was absurd that night.

Breustt gave Smith a football lesson earlier in the year......Bresut was absurd that night.
Yeah he was superb that night. That mark where he pushed of Smith with the ball in the air a good 30 metres away before turning, jumping and marking brilliantly showed how amazing his skill set is. I know he's not under rated now days and will probably be AA but seriously he's the best small forward in the comp by a long way this year, people will say Ballentine has as good a goal average but Ballentine isn't half the player Brust has been this year as far as 1%ers and assists. Punky also seems so grounded and humble... just love the bloke

I'm probabaly going to get shot down for this but is there any chance Cyril would replace Duryea? It's been suggested before on another thread that the backline would require less burst speed in particular plays than playing in the forward line. Sizzle did play some time down back in the pre-season comp from memory and killed it down there too. Obviously if we need a match winning goal or 2 he moves to FF and nails it :$ job done

Duryea is probably the weakest link on paper? This is not a bad idea as moving the ball out of the ball quickly and with precision will help us go a long way towards winning our next game/s. It also allows us retain our current structure. I have been wrestling with who to leave out if Cyril comes back, as the team balance is good atm. I think Cyril could do a lot of damage playing back there. It would certainly give the oppostion coaches something extra to worry about.

if it is speed you want...........and rioli is unavailable..................Hartung

Duryea is probably the weakest link on paper? This is not a bad idea as moving the ball out of the ball quickly and with precision will help us go a long way towards winning our next game/s. It also allows us retain our current structure. I have been wrestling with who to leave out if Cyril comes back, as the team balance is good atm. I think Cyril could do a lot of damage playing back there. It would certainly give the oppostion coaches something extra to worry about.

No offence, but i think this is a horrible idea. As if Rioli coming back with little match fitness was bad enough, but you want to put him in a foreign position where he may have to chase around players like Walters, Cunningham, Jetta, etc.? And by taking out Duryea, we would leave ourselves very tall down back, with guys like Burgoyne, Stratton and Gibson next in line to take the small forwards if Cyril blows up.

Far too big a risk to take in a PF/GF. Cyril should be played primarily up forward if he makes the cut.

No offence, but i think this is a horrible idea. As if Rioli coming back with little match fitness was bad enough, but you want to put him in a foreign position where he may have to chase around players like Walters, Cunningham, Jetta, etc.? And by taking out Duryea, we would leave ourselves very tall down back, with guys like Burgoyne, Stratton and Gibson next in line to take the small forwards if Cyril blows up.

Far too big a risk to take in a PF/GF. Cyril should be played primarily up forward if he makes the cut.
He has played down back before. Mostly in preseason mind you . . .

Duryea will play if suckling doesn't because he will do the majority of our kick ins (and he is a good player!).

I totally agree, the foreign position aspect isn't ideal. Even writing that post I was questioning myself! I think my theory on it stems from the fact that I don't think Joffa should make way especially if we end up in the GF against Sydney. Not only did Joffa blanket Malchesky he made their whole back line structure weaker through his role. I think like many Hawks fans I am stuck in the conundrum of wanting Sizzle to play (obviously) but not seeing an obvious candidate to drop. I don't see a weak link in our team that doesn't also have a plus side we require...

As Brishawk said above the club has already toyed with this idea. I think he would be more likely to blow up playing a forward midfield role. Who does he replace in the forward line? As for leaving us tall down back the risk/reward factor is an issue (if he plays a full game) wherever he plays.

The idea was purely to get our best player on the ground and imo this is not a bad option or position for him.

He has also slimmed down a lot by reports. A new role may be planned or it may be purely an injury prevention idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As Brishawk said above the club has already toyed with this idea. I think he would be more likely to blow up playing a forward midfield role. Who does he replace in the forward line? As for leaving us tall down back the risk/reward factor is an issue (if he plays a full game) wherever he plays.

The idea was purely to get our best player on the ground and imo this is not a bad option or position for him.

He has also slimmed down a lot by reports. A new role may be planned or it may be purely an injury prevention idea.

Sorry, i don't buy the idea that the club 'toying' with it in some mickey mouse competition means anything when it comes to a grand final. Josh Gibson has been toyed with up forward, but i would never have him there in a grand final, unless we had some sort of personnel disaster.

The fact is that Rioli has not played as a defender in actual competition. I don't see how he is more likely to blow up as a forward, because we could manage his midfield time, whereas in defence when his man goes, he has to go as well. Who would he replace? The benefit of playing him as a forward is we could replace a midfielder (probably Simpkin), and then just add a bit of extra midfield time for Breust/Rough/etc. By playing him down back, we don't have that flexibility and we leave ourselves without an actual small defender.

Surely if we are trying to get one of our best players on the ground, we would do it in the safest way, which is by playing him in a familiar role with depth within our best 22 (Breust/Poppy vs nobody if we take out Duryea). IMO Duryea is far more important from a role perspective than Simpkin is, and it isn't really that close.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying Cyril couldn't play this role, or that Simpkin hasn't played a fantastic role for us. All i'm saying is that testing out some new role for Cyril by leaving out the only true small defender in our 22 is not a risk we should be taking for a PF or GF. This is the kind of crap you test during the season, not in the two most important games of the year!

Sorry, i don't buy the idea that the club 'toying' with it in some mickey mouse competition means anything when it comes to a grand final. Josh Gibson has been toyed with up forward, but i would never have him there in a grand final, unless we had some sort of personnel disaster.

The fact is that Rioli has not played as a defender in actual competition. I don't see how he is more likely to blow up as a forward, because we could manage his midfield time, whereas in defence when his man goes, he has to go as well. Who would he replace? The benefit of playing him as a forward is we could replace a midfielder (probably Simpkin), and then just add a bit of extra midfield time for Breust/Rough/etc. By playing him down back, we don't have that flexibility and we leave ourselves without an actual small defender.

Surely if we are trying to get one of our best players on the ground, we would do it in the safest way, which is by playing him in a familiar role with depth within our best 22 (Breust/Poppy vs nobody if we take out Duryea). IMO Duryea is far more important from a role perspective than Simpkin is, and it isn't really that close.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying Cyril couldn't play this role, or that Simpkin hasn't played a fantastic role for us. All i'm saying is that testing out some new role for Cyril by leaving out the only true small defender in our 22 is not a risk we should be taking for a PF or GF. This is the kind of crap you test during the season, not in the two most important games of the year!

This ^

Well the "Sizzle to the back line" post certainly got us all up and about, love it! I agree with the above and it's a bloody well structured case you have here. As I expressed before my initial thinking was purely related to getting Cyril in the side but not at the expense of a player i consider to be vitally important. Perhaps i've read too many anti Duyrea posts over the last year or 2 and therefore think he's the weakest link. It's funny how over a game or two ones perception of a player can change. Joffa doing an ace role on Ned bloody Kelly from the $wans a few weeks back definitely made me sit up and appreciate him more as a footballer. Then Duyrea goes and plays a blinder in the QF... he absolutely screwed every arm chair selector on here by doing that! ;)

If Duryrea loses his spot, it wont be to Suckling, it will be to Litherland.
I dont see Suckling in our best 24 at the moment. He gets a game based on his left boot.
And his left boot aint been doing anywhere near enough damage this year to warrant a game. His physicality and tacking as a defender is non existent.
Duryea provides good physicality, has a good left boot of his own, and shows great desperation.
Litherland's boot, although long, isnt as pinpoint as these two. but he has great pace, can play tall and small, and desperation in the D50 has been shown many times this year.

On the subject of Cyril, imagine Lyon or hinkley getting up to the box for the start of the first quarter and seeing Cyril in the defensive 50.
You reckon they wouldnt love that?? Heaven!!

Put him deep forward, give him some space and watch them panic into getting some help down there, getting the match up right etc etc.

He is a forward, end of story.

Sewell looked like he played mainly half forward in the QF. With Langers, Lewis and Mitchell in the guts, it squeezed out Sewelly. Don't think we'll play Cyril of HB in the prelim (if he's fit). But perhaps Sewell is vulnerable. Ouch- glad I don't have to make that call.

Just got an SMS, C Rioli tick a few boxes at training today. Be interesting to see what the club report to the media - watch this space!

Well that's all very clear. Did anyone go to training? If he didn't train 7 days out then he's struggling to get up.

Brad Sewell was a guest on the ABC radio show today (late morning, forget what it's called) and he was a bit cagey but it sounded like Cyril didn't train with the main group yesterday. But he did say that he is on track with his training etc. and made it sound like everything is going to plan and that he's a definitely a possibility for next week. At least that was my interpretation of what he said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back