Daniel Menzel 'returned to footy' progress updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
also, remember that Menzel was being played in the back line before getting shuffled back to his preferred position for the finals. He's very versatile, wasn't quite a natural defender but you have start learning sometime.

I can't imagine he'd lose any of his athleticism from these knee reco's. When he came back for a third time, his spring, speed and lateral movement was still there. In fact, I was surprised as he literally went straight up off a couple steps so his jumping hasn't been lost at all. Not sure about his kicking penetration though.

Talking about DM, assuming he can make it back and fit, how do people see him fitting into our forward line? because I can't see us playing a 3rd tall and DM.

In late 2011 we has a three tall forward line and Menzel also played as a full time forward, it depends on the mobility of the third tall. If Stanley is the third tall then it isn't an issue, if Kersten is the third tall it is.

In late 2011 we has a three tall forward line and Menzel also played as a full time forward, it depends on the mobility of the third tall. If Stanley is the third tall then it isn't an issue, if Kersten is the third tall it is.

I'm not sure that I agree. Kersten is very quick off the mark. It needs to be kept in mind that while he was far from impressive in the AFl games that he played, I wonder how much, and for how long he was hindered by the knee injury.

If (and it's a massive 'if') Menz can get back and play near his previous best, there won't be any issue around how he fits into our forward line. Any 'third tall' options will be lining up behind him to see if they can merit a spot.

Will be a 'top 10' pick across the entire side if he gets back to senior footy in good shape.

I'm not sure that I agree. Kersten is very quick off the mark. It needs to be kept in mind that while he was far from impressive in the AFl games that he played, I wonder how much, and for how long he was hindered by the knee injury.

When is say mobility, I am not talking about top speed in a sprint. Mobility is the ability to cover a lot of ground at a reasonable pace, for a key forward it is the ability to gut run from the forward line to the wings repeatedly. It is the reason why kersten didn't get more than 10 touches in a game.

Last edited:
Article also mentioned smedts, Duncan came back early to train with cowan, menz and vardy. Billie putting in an effort.wonders never cease.

Cowan, Menzel and Vardy all training together at the same time. Well bugger me. Surely there's a fair bit of cotton wool around for once they're done training for the day.

4.jpg

Hopefully that's enough cotton wool :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After losing a few we obviously need some other guys now to step up and have actual input into the season next year.

I think a lot of us felt that wouldn't happen from some of these guys. Fingers crossed from here. Good luck to them.
Yep. If Vardy, Menzel, and Cowan all get fit then our list does look a lot more balanced with regards to options for best 22.

Miracles do happen.
Menzel and Cowan both fit to run at the same time.
Anyone know what that green croquet mallet is used for?
Or did it just come extra with the plastic cones kit?
To test Menzel's reflexes? Make sure the knee still has some feeling left in it ;)

Article also mentioned smedts, Duncan came back early to train with cowan, menz and vardy. Billie putting in an effort.wonders never cease.

Duncan is about the only player whose career in not under some sort of threat due to poor performance or constant injury.

There is a link to the story here. The palyers who have come back early from holidays probably are aware that their careers could come to a sudden end if they do not take a turn for the better in 2015.
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2014-11-05/injured-cats-ramp-things-up
The way that's written, Cowan is out of rehab. Or have I missed something???

Duncan coming in early to train with his draft buddies doesn't surprise me. From what I've read over the past few years, they are all very close. (as was Christo - but that's another story!)
Well done Billie, too- I don't think he's ever lacked endeavour. His problem is something else...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back