Universal Love Darren Burgess football fitness academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Too much run in the legs, we look physically smaller even though we're probably not physically weaker. Opposition clubs then stop our run at every opportunity (unless they're able to smash us in the middle which has happened too often this year) denying us our one major fitness advantage. Opposition clubs have also realised that we turn it over far too easily and are more than happy to sit back and wait for the inevitable turn-over/kick to no-one foray i50. Perception grows that we can be out-muscled and that we're soft, culminating in that horrible Carlton game where Gibbs was able to dump Gray without fear of recrimination. By the time we address that issue the season is on life support waiting for someone to finally pull the plug.

Jon Ralph said at half time of tge St Kilda game today that a review has commenced at the club in particular fitness and medical depts. He also said Kochie confirmed it. Wasted year. I am so pi**ed off.
Good the first thing they bloody should do is go to Hawthorn via a Chinese hacker - I'm sure Lockhart Road can find one, raid Andrew Russell's database and pinch the skinfolds and proper weight info of Luke Hodge, Sam Mitchell, Jordan Lewis and Shaun Burgoyne and tell ours mids are not allowed to have skin folds lower than those blokes. No more bloody Haile Gebrselassie, Kenenisa Bekele or David Rudisha type skinfolds for our midfielders who have to get the hard ball. Leave those levels for Polec, Jasper and Jake.

Jon Ralph said at half time of tge St Kilda game today that a review has commenced at the club in particular fitness and medical depts. He also said Kochie confirmed it. Wasted year. I am so pi**ed off.

If we are absolutely thorough with the review, brutally honest when it comes to accepting where we went wrong, and do everything in our power to address the issues, then it is not wasted. It will stand us in good stead in the years to come.

Maybe this belongs in the Optimistic thread. :)

Good the first thing they bloody should do is go to Hawthorn via a Chinese hacker - I'm sure Lockhart Road can find one, raid Andrew Russell's database and pinch the skinfolds and proper weight info of Luke Hodge, Sam Mitchell, Jordan Lewis and Shaun Burgoyne and tell ours mids are not allowed to have skin folds lower than those blokes. No more bloody Haile Gebrselassie, Kenenisa Bekele or David Rudisha type skinfolds for our midfielders who have to get the hard ball. Leave those levels for Polec, Jasper and Jake.

Whilst I do tend to agree, Lewis noticeably dropping weight in 2013 has coincided with the best form of his career.

Caro confirmed a review on Footy Classified, although she didn't specifically mention fitness. And Caro knows what's going on at Port. ;)

The nut shell version of what I heard.

- due to teams figuring out how to block our game plan we cannot get our running game going
- because we cannot get enough run in a game(opposition filling holes etc), we are down on our running numbers in games
- Our games are our biggest 'hit' of training during the week
- we aren't getting enough run into our week to stay at the high fitness levels we have previously set ourselves
* no we can't just add more during the week because that leads into other problems with recovery and prep before the next game

Crazy to think that football is now at the level where our game plan is letting out fitness down.

- due to teams figuring out how to block our game plan we cannot get our running game going
- because we cannot get enough run in a game(opposition filling holes etc), we are down on our running numbers in games

- we aren't getting enough run into our week to stay at the high fitness levels we have previously set ourselves
* no we can't just add more during the week because that leads into other problems with recovery and prep before the next game

Crazy to think that football is now at the level where our game plan is letting out fitness down.

The two things in bold were things that people on this board were worrying about last year, when Paul Roos first "figured us out". I said we'd been figured out and people said that it was skill errors or mistakes or whatever. It's not.

Teams go hyperdefensive against us, putting extra loose men back and getting back as soon as it looks like we might win the ball. We then try to freewheel out of defence and run hard, but instead of kicking to White, Polec or Ebert over the top, we're kicking to a wall of defenders. Teams know if they hang back, we'll give them the ball over and over again, and they know they don't have to score 100 points to beat us, because we wont change our gameplan and we'll keep giving them the ball. We then lose games 70-50 or so. It's happened a heap this year.

The two things in bold were things that people on this board were worrying about last year, when Paul Roos first "figured us out". I said we'd been figured out and people said that it was skill errors or mistakes or whatever. It's not.

Teams go hyperdefensive against us, putting extra loose men back and getting back as soon as it looks like we might win the ball. We then try to freewheel out of defence and run hard, but instead of kicking to White, Polec or Ebert over the top, we're kicking to a wall of defenders. Teams know if they hang back, we'll give them the ball over and over again, and they know they don't have to score 100 points to beat us, because we wont change our gameplan and we'll keep giving them the ball. We then lose games 70-50 or so. It's happened a heap this year.

Teams also denied our fast switch

So we're losing fitness because opposition teams have decided to make us the #1 stoppage team in the AFL and we have no solution to this?

Madness.

or our running numbers are down because the players are over trained and can't go
That's silly. You cant overtrain all preseason and all year. Players will break down if you over train your body all the time. BrockBlitz knows the fitness guys at Port, so he knows what's happening is we arent doing the right type of training, to be able to fulfill Ken's rigid game plan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In otherwords - no plan B.

Ken says you have to play the way you play in March, the same way when its pouring rain in July, or when its a windy gale, or when we play at Docklands, or when we play at the postage stamp SCG. That's poor coaching. The players are confused because they only can play one way and they dont know what to do when they cant do what they want to and they drop their heads thinking its all not working. Then throw in our s**t skills, particularly kicking, which compounds things massively, because we are losing energy with turnovers chasing opposition players rather than them chasing us and our players in a game struggle to be able to deliver the game plan. Then we cant increase the workload during the week because the boys are close to their max. Remember its been 2 preseasons of adding a 15% loading to our workload after adding about 40% in Burgo's first year. Its a vicious circle.

This preseason we have 2 options.
1. Shut up and say nothing much. Go to Dubai and get the freebie from the prince but say bugger all to us fans and the media for 4 months. OR

2. Wake up and realise we have to bulk up and actually *en bulk up to play a high level congested, stoppage game against the big boys. Play the deception game and just bullshit and lie about how much extra running we are doing, tell everyone we are doing 75% more when we are only doing about 10%, say nothing about us bulking up and changing our game plan, so that all the other clubs are deceived into preparing to shut down our running game but arent ready for a bigger strong contested football machine we turn into over the preseason, get Johnny Donehue to the club full time for the next 12 months and recruit Dixon, keep Schulz, play Harvey and set up for a different game style that shocks the opposition.

Frankly, I have no real interest in hearing the results of any internal review and how things are going to dramatically improve because this is what we are going to do. Mere words which unfortunately is part of the AFL circus in keeping the media 'informed' and or happy.

It's the real time results I wish to see, right from the start of the pre seasons games. Bulked up players - not a one size fits all scenario. eg: Polec and similar types don't need to be huge but strong. The skinny gutted players has been well commented upon, so that's enough.

The capacity to tackle - effectively!!!

And a significant - no, massive - improvement in footy basic skills.

Well, that's my Xmas pressy wish list anyhow:) as we consider if we continue with Black Diamond membership or other level.

If that's true, if that's the way they are explaining our decline this year then heaven help us.

I've never heard anything so insane to explain a poor season. Surely somebody was messin' with you?

You would think we are the only side in the history of Australian Rules Football to ever want to play through the corridor or want to play a fast, running brand of footy. You'd think that this masterplan to stop us may have been tried against sides like the Western Bulldogs or maybe GWS this year as they both like to run too but obviously it hasn't as both of those clubs have done ok this year. Richmond has done fairly well too using a run based game as well. Hell, even Fremantle have played a more run & gun brand of footy this year.

All teams want to run, all teams want to use the corridor. We just happen to be the only team that wants to take our bat & stumps home cause the big bad bullies won't let us do what we want.

What a load of crap. Many things went wrong this year and many have touched on issues that contributed to our decline but the biggest single factor was a complete lack of wanting to get dirty when it was required, to tough it out, to stand toe to toe with whoever, whenever, at any place.

Simply didn't have enough people willing to take the hit for a team mate, too many looking for highlight reel stuff on a weekly basis.

We wanted the glory but without paying any price.

Burgess wants to prove his theory on how far a human can be pushed in terms of running, Hinkely wants to play attractive circle work, the players thought it was a given.

We even had an advertising campaign at the start of the year thanking people!!!

Mistakes were made. The Club needs to address the real cause and not some soft, get out of jail card, like 'they wouldn't let us'.

Weak

In otherwords - no plan B.

Ken says you have to play the way you play in March, the same way when its pouring rain in July, or when its a windy gale, or when we play at Docklands, or when we play at the postage stamp SCG. That's poor coaching. The players are confused because they only can play one way and they dont know what to do when they cant do what they want to and they drop their heads thinking its all not working. Then throw in our s**t skills, particularly kicking, which compounds things massively, because we are losing energy with turnovers chasing opposition players rather than them chasing us and our players in a game struggle to be able to deliver the game plan. Then we cant increase the workload during the week because the boys are close to their max. Remember its been 2 preseasons of adding a 15% loading to our workload after adding about 40% in Burgo's first year. Its a vicious circle.

This preseason we have 2 options.
1. Shut up and say nothing much. Go to Dubai and get the freebie from the prince but say bugger all to us fans and the media for 4 months. OR

2. Wake up and realise we have to bulk up and actually ****en bulk up to play a high level congested, stoppage game against the big boys. Play the deception game and just bullshit and lie about how much extra running we are doing, tell everyone we are doing 75% more when we are only doing about 10%, say nothing about us bulking up and changing our game plan, so that all the other clubs are deceived into preparing to shut down our running game but arent ready for a bigger strong contested football machine we turn into over the preseason, get Johnny Donehue to the club full time for the next 12 months and recruit Dixon, keep Schulz, play Harvey and set up for a different game style that shocks the opposition.
Part of this I actually agree with. We have been way too free with giving info to the media and press. From now on we need to het sneaky like the other bastards.

Oh boy if this is true I hope our coaches and fitness staff are workong overtime to fix this for next year. HOwever how come Buldogs are maintaining their running game? Why aren't clubs able to stop them like they are us ?????

Oh boy if this is true I hope our coaches and fitness staff are workong overtime to fix this for next year. HOwever how come Buldogs are maintaining their running game? Why aren't clubs able to stop them like they are us ?????
Partly because coaches didnt start the year thinking the doggies would play that way, but for 5 months they planned to block us, because they knew we would play that way - no ifs or buts - we had for two years earlier. By the time everyone had cottoned on to the way they played, they had momentum and more importantly unrestricted buy in from the players, like Ken had from our guys in 2013.

RUNRUNRUN = 1trickpony.
This whole club has been found out from top to bottom.
Things would be rosy if every other team let us have our own way!
Problem is nobody will do that. Ken has serious problems to work through im hoping they are not that serious we see his boat sunk!

Partly because coaches didnt start the year thinking the doggies would play that way, but for 5 months they planned to block us, because they knew we would play that way - no ifs or buts - we had for two years earlier. By the time everyone had cottoned on to the way they played, they had momentum and more importantly unrestricted buy in from the players, like Ken had from our guys in 2013.

Also they got a few good wins in the first 5 rounds against good teams, since then haven't beaten anyone of note (and barely played anyone of note).
They had a crap middle part of the season scraping across the line against St Kilda, Gold Coast and Carlton. Have also dropped games to St Kilda and Melbourne.
I'm not bitter because I like them but it will take a bit more to convince me they are the real deal that can't be stopped.

Also they got a few good wins in the first 5 rounds against good teams, since then haven't beaten anyone of note (and barely played anyone of note).
They had a crap middle part of the season scraping across the line against St Kilda, Gold Coast and Carlton. Have also dropped games to St Kilda and Melbourne.
I'm not bitter because I like them but it will take a bit more to convince me they are the real deal that can't be stopped.
The Melbourne media piss their pants with excitement when they see a Vic side string a few wins together. They completely forget who has played who and how corruptly imbalanced this years draw is.

The Sunday morning the day Collingwood played GWS and both were 7-3, I looked up who Collingwood had beaten. They had beaten the teams that were 12th ( we were 11th then), 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th and 18th. They beat GWS and then there was all this wank talk they are now a top 4 side.

That's silly. You cant overtrain all preseason and all year. Players will break down if you over train your body all the time. BrockBlitz knows the fitness guys at Port, so he knows what's happening is we arent doing the right type of training, to be able to fulfill Ken's rigid game plan.

Huh? You can easily overload the whole time hence our guys flat as each game. By the logic posted as part of the review if they arent running enough game day because the games blocked up they should be fresher late in games

Huh? You can easily overload the whole time hence our guys flat as each game. By the logic posted as part of the review if they arent running enough game day because the games blocked up they should be fresher late in games
Did you read what BrockBlitz wrote?
"Our games are our biggest 'hit' of training during the week." That doesnt suggest they are overtrained the whole time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back