Draft Expert Davo-27's 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends on the kid.

Number of eligible kids get overlooked by interstate clubs as they don't pass the 'go home factor sniff test.

Chances are father sons heavily linked to Vic clubs would be overlooked for safer options of similar quality.

Well Horne-Francis passed the sniff test and then a year later he didn't. You can only hope that the club's system and strong culture / bonding among players would encourage a draftee to overcome his go home factor type issues. The best outcome is the player that gets drafted elsewhere for 2/3 years has an absolutely blistering start to his career so when its trade time, you can get right level of trade value as part of the player move.

GWS have been doing this on a regular basis these days, sometimes they get a Treloar type return (2 first round picks) or sometimes they get a Caldwell type return (2 second round picks with later picks going back). They just improve their draft hand and keep going back to bringing more talent in. They're not having a bad yo-yo run in this routine either, managed to get to a grand final and another prelim in 2023.

Well Horne-Francis passed the sniff test and then a year later he didn't. You can only hope that the club's system and strong culture / bonding among players would encourage a draftee to overcome his go home factor type issues. The best outcome is the player that gets drafted elsewhere for 2/3 years has an absolutely blistering start to his career so when its trade time, you can get right level of trade value as part of the player move.

GWS have been doing this on a regular basis these days, sometimes they get a Treloar type return (2 first round picks) or sometimes they get a Caldwell type return (2 second round picks with later picks going back). They just improve their draft hand and keep going back to bringing more talent in. They're not having a bad yo-yo run in this routine either, managed to get to a grand final and another prelim in 2023.

Did he pass rhe sniff test really?

Or were North just desperate to land the next big thing?

20 20 hindsight would suggest North's 'sniff test' wasn't very thorough and they got it wrong.

Last edited:

20 20 hindsight would suggest North's 'sniff test' wasn't very thorough and they got it wrong.

He said all the right things and showed big excitement to be part of North. What happened after that and how he was managed internally may have been a different story altogether.

I'll admit not knowing the granular details about North and Horne-Francis. The only news I've noticed is he headed over and Port put him through surgery. Whether JHF's relationship was so strained that he never discussed this part with North or North knew about it but their medical team didn't go too deep into it, who knows.

I’ll always believe that JHF always intended to leave for port. Not SA, but port.

He said the right things to north so we don’t trade pick 1 to the crows. He told north he’d sign an extension pre season on arrival. He put that off before a game was even played. He played us. It happens.

That said, north were incompetent in their handling of it. We didn’t talk to him until start of October of his draft year. Maybe if we had of been in contact with him throughout the year we would have got more of a heads up about how close he was with his family. Changing his name and all the references through 2021 to his step dad should have been a heads up.

We also housed him with CCJ. I said at the time, how can you invest as much in a young player and then house them with an unknown quantity (CCJ had just arrived at the club as well).

Out head of football Mahoney (also just arrived at the club) joked in a pre season game how JHF had a bit of work to do in the nutrition space as he was eating too much takeaway. It took until May for he and the other first year players to spend time with a nutritionist to learn how to cook simple things.

I’ll always believe that JHF always intended to leave for port. Not SA, but port.

He said the right things to north so we don’t trade pick 1 to the crows. He told north he’d sign an extension pre season on arrival. He put that off before a game was even played. He played us. It happens.

That said, north were incompetent in their handling of it. We didn’t talk to him until start of October of his draft year. Maybe if we had of been in contact with him throughout the year we would have got more of a heads up about how close he was with his family. Changing his name and all the references through 2021 to his step dad should have been a heads up.

We also housed him with CCJ. I said at the time, how can you invest as much in a young player and then house them with an unknown quantity (CCJ had just arrived at the club as well).

Out head of football Mahoney (also just arrived at the club) joked in a pre season game how JHF had a bit of work to do in the nutrition space as he was eating too much takeaway. It took until May for he and the other first year players to spend time with a nutritionist to learn how to cook simple things.

The bolded part is the only one that didn't make sense. If Crows managed to get him and he wanted to go to Port, he would've still got there regardless at the next contract. He could've stayed in SA too in that case.

The bolded part is the only one that didn't make sense. If Crows managed to get him and he wanted to go to Port, he would've still got there regardless at the next contract. He could've stayed in SA too in that case.

I believe it would be hard to justify a move from crows to port and he would paint a massive target on his back doing so.

Leaving a struggling north to get specifically to port, easy peasy

I believe it would be hard to justify a move from crows to port and he would paint a massive target on his back doing so.

Leaving a struggling north to get specifically to port, easy peasy
Yep. I'm not going to comment on the JHF saga as a whole, but 100% agree with this perspective. If JHF was focussed on getting to Port rather than just South Australia, he wasn't going to set there in his draft year via a Port/Norths trade; and a swap of SA clubs in 2 years would have been much more problematic (trade collateral and justification). Norths - and his own - struggles in the 2022 season were tailor-made to justify a request to go home, and to Port specifically. The question is whether you believe that was his intent all along, or arose from circumstances in 2022.

Yep. I'm not going to comment on the JHF saga as a whole, but 100% agree with this perspective. If JHF was focussed on getting to Port rather than just South Australia, he wasn't going to set there in his draft year via a Port/Norths trade; and a swap of SA clubs in 2 years would have been much more problematic (trade collateral and justification). Norths - and his own - struggles in the 2022 season were tailor-made to justify a request to go home, and to Port specifically. The question is whether you believe that was his intent all along, or arose from circumstances in 2022.

Given he told the club he’d sign an extension on arrival and then put it off after a few months of pre season training (that’s what I’ve been told) I can only assume it was the plan all along.

But the clarko hawthorn fiasco enabled him to justify an even earlier exit.

I’m not bitter about it. It is what it is, and north allowed themselves to be played and I hope they learnt a lesson.

Given he told the club he’d sign an extension on arrival and then put it off after a few months of pre season training (that’s what I’ve been told) I can only assume it was the plan all along.

I’m not bitter about it. It is what it is, and north allowed themselves to be played and I hope they learnt a lesson.
Or he could have gone there willing to give it a go, and found North to be a basket case. The picture you've painted above with your specific comments about North, paint a picture of a club that is NOT being run professionally.

Or he could have gone there willing to give it a go, and found North to be a basket case. The picture you've painted above with your specific comments about North, paint a picture of a club that is NOT being run professionally.

It’s possible. But more likely imo that in the 3 months that he was at the club and told them he was going back in his prior promise to extend straight away, that it was planned.

You might want to fact check before you reply in future.

Now it's 20+. I wish you blokes would make up your mind.

Try about 6 who are unlikely to make it. Some don't even play the sport.

And Northern academies far outweigh any father/son rule.
I like the part where Bartels kids are in the GWS academy. You know, iN cAsE tHeY cHoOsE rUgBy

I like the part where Bartels kids are in the GWS academy. You know, iN cAsE tHeY cHoOsE rUgBy
What are their other options?

Play local footy.

AFL rules preclude non academy kids from being picked in rep teams, unless they board in Vic.

You need to have a crack at the AFL for making the rules push kids in to the academies if they have any ambition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are their other options?

Play local footy.

AFL rules preclude non academy kids from being picked in rep teams, unless they board in Vic.

You need to have a crack at the AFL for making the rules push kids in to the academies if they have any ambition.
I'm not blaming the kids

Hey Davo. Got a quick question about Justin pecketts kid Elwood. Plays at the stingrays and seem to go pretty well. Do you have any insight into him?

Luke Quaynor (brother of Isaac) has looked good for Oakleigh in bits of games last year, could be a draft option for Coll NGA program, i guess it depends on if he gets games and performs under pressure?

It’s easy to make judgements and speculation but if North weren’t such a basket case at the time I think he would have stayed. The club looks to be in a good direction now though, a few hand outs can turn a club around look at Melbourne and Carlton. Also his step father played for Port Adelaide, there was no way in the world he would have gone to Adelaide

Not sure what the point of your post is.

Maybe you missed where I stand on father sons and academies.

I’m firmly in the “get rid of everything” camp.

And that includes free agency compensation.

Have a completely unadulterated draft.
I do not know your opinion on F/S. what I do know is that the Lions will get another to 5 talent irrespective of your opinions on it .

You said that,” By parity, you mean return of the VFL.”

No! that is not what I mean and you know it.

I mean that expansions clubs are offered no more or less than the Sydney Swans.

Ask one of the Bloods supporters if they have created something great?

The Draft needs to be fair.

but hey, it will all change with Tassie coming in.

Luke Quaynor (brother of Isaac) has looked good for Oakleigh in bits of games last year, could be a draft option for Coll NGA program, i guess it depends on if he gets games and performs under pressure?
Has done well training with the vfl side the last month or so, along with Tadhg McCarthy and Doug Kerr, who all have fitted in well with the big boys. This exposure should help them when they go back to oakleigh/school footy.

Has done well training with the vfl side the last month or so, along with Tadhg McCarthy and Doug Kerr, who all have fitted in well with the big boys. This exposure should help them when they go back to oakleigh/school footy.
Tadgh McCarthy played well in the u16s champs as a tallish def, he was alright last year as well, he is a chance to be drafted imo, not sure if I've seen enough of Doug Kerr yet?

Tadgh McCarthy played well in the u16s champs as a tallish def, he was alright last year as well, he is a chance to be drafted imo, not sure if I've seen enough of Doug Kerr yet?
Yeah, I guess this year will be the test. Doug played as a defender at st kevins, but said he'll be playing mid and forward for both oakleigh and st kevins; so it'll be a watch and wait. He reckons he's now 193/194cm.

Seems Tadhg has a younger brother, Zac McCarthy. 198cm key forward? Ruck? 2025 his draft year.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back