Review Dees v the Aints - the Good, Bad and Fugly!

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm no statistician but Petty had about 7-8 intercept marks which probably saved goals, hopefully not a bad injury, he looked like Maytwo out there at points..
Lol what. He took 3 intercept marks and also got done by his opponent a few times. Amazing how people can invent what happened

Trac good, May huge alot of meh still and lucky to get away with it. Got the win back we deserved from GWS because saints deserved to win this one but man we are a hard watch. Melksham and Brown give us absolutely nothing but they do finish chances they are on the end of. Both are gonna be passengers in a final when you need more than uncontested marks and goals.

What did we do to make St Kilda fans hate us so much? The vitriol on their board is something to behold, lol.

There was that weird manufactured rivalry when we both sucked a few years ago, but outside of that, I can't really say St Kilda registers on my radar. Perennial also-rans, but not offensive ones.

Lol was that intended as a back hander ?

Trac good, May huge alot of meh still and lucky to get away with it. Got the win back we deserved from GWS because saints deserved to win this one but man we are a hard watch. Melksham and Brown give us absolutely nothing but they do finish chances they are on the end of. Both are gonna be passengers in a final when you need more than uncontested marks and goals.
Melksham did perfectly fine and covered for Fritsch nicely. I am concerned he can't keep that up over the next couple of rounds though.

Brown was ok. This team needs a big forward JVR needs a big forward to take that number one defender more importantly. Hopefully JVR comes back in soon.

The overall team is not going far in finals unless a number of players find form to be honest.

What did we do to make St Kilda fans hate us so much? The vitriol on their board is something to behold, lol.

There was that weird manufactured rivalry when we both sucked a few years ago, but outside of that, I can't really say St Kilda registers on my radar. Perennial also-rans, but not offensive ones.

Still salty over selecting Paddy McCartin over Trac and Trac saves his best goal kicking games for them.

12 career games against them and 18 goals including games of 4, 4 and 3. His next best is 12 career goals against the Crows.

The angst comes from us having Alan Richardson imo. They miss him dearly.

Think theres a bit of annoyance that we handed them the baton for longest current premiership drought.

It was nice to see us use Trac differently and it worked last night but bloody hell does our midfield look sparse without he or Oliver there.

Viney has been in good form lately but he's combining with Sparrow, Jordon and Gus. That combo gets mauled by Brisbane.

It was nice to see us use Trac differently and it worked last night but bloody hell does our midfield look sparse without he or Oliver there.

Viney has been in good form lately but he's combining with Sparrow, Jordon and Gus. That combo gets mauled by Brisbane.
Absolutely why we need to go and get some midfielders through the draft.

Absolutely why we need to go and get some midfielders through the draft.
For sure but we need to find some answers for the now too. We've all been crying out for Kozzy to go there all year and if Trac is playing more forward seems like now would be a good a time as any. Gus, Jordon and Sparrow all sucked whenever there was any pressure. We'd win the ball and they'd just hand it right back to the Saints and in Jordons case got brought to ground easier than Ben Brown.

For sure but we need to find some answers for the now too. We've all been crying out for Kozzy to go there all year and if Trac is playing more forward seems like now would be a good a time as any. Gus, Jordon and Sparrow all sucked whenever there was any pressure. We'd win the ball and they'd just hand it right back to the Saints and in Jordons case got brought to ground easier than Ben Brown.
I think the answer is there with Rivers, Salem, Kozzy etc but we seem set on backs being backs and forwards being forwards.

Just another thing to point out. I know 79 points doesnt seem like much, but that's a pretty good score against Ross Lyon defensive footy

They're only behind us and Collingwood in lowest points against and average just 74 points against them.

Definitely one of those bank it and move on wins, but I'm happy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footy show highlighting saints doing their best Melbourne impressions of burning players and bombing into the forward line. We did it too but not as bad. Also Angus Brayshaw on the panel, of course they asked him about the Oliver situation with the high performance manager non story. Nathan Brown said he liked it, I also recall Hodge saying that it happens all the time. Only people that make a story of it never actually played the game.

Footy show highlighting saints doing their best Melbourne impressions of burning players and bombing into the forward line. We did it too but not as bad. Also Angus Brayshaw on the panel, of course they asked him about the Oliver situation with the high performance manager non story. Nathan Brown said he liked it, I also recall Hodge saying that it happens all the time. Only people that make a story of it never actually played the game.
Dunno if I've mentioned it on here before but I knew a high level trainer (does work or FIFA etc) who knows Sellwyn? Too lazy to look up the name of the new dude but anywho he was a big fan of his work, told me a bunch of stuff about hamstring rehab I didn't overly understand but the big takeaway was that he's militant about hamstrings not being about your 3-4 weeks or whatever but about reaching certain sprint power thresholds before you can be cleared to play again.

Can see why Oliver would be having a barney with the fitness staff, he was probably running and not feeling the hammy and wanting to play but I guess the stop watch was showing he couldn't go at his normal 100%. No doubt Misson would have had him playing.

Saw comments from a rugby player from the Storm (Munster?) Agreeing that it's part of professional sport - player real keen to play, physio/medico says take it easy. Not an uncommon thing

I still don't rate the game style, but I thought that was a pretty good win against a quality team built on defence. If they didn't have the injuries, who knows which way the game goes, but its hard to judge. Aside from a burst in the third, we held them off well.

Weird as hell reading the umpire moaning on the aints board, thus must've been watching a different game, maggots gave us nothing all night.

Hope they keep woey in, bring back JVR if fit

The Good: The 4 points
The Bad: Being overrun by a team with 3 injuries.
The Ugly: Goodwin saying he wasn't disappointed that we were overrun by a team with 3 injuries early on.

Good: debut by Woey Jr. I doubt he'll ever be a core player but he can definitely contirbute at AFL level.

Bad: Kozzy. He is non-existent up forward this year. He needs a role change or a spell at Casey. He should be part of the midfield rotation.

Fugly: Fatty Brayshaw. He is putrid in the guts. IMO, his best role is in the back 6 but he doesn't deserve to be ahead of McVee, Salem, Rivers or Hibberd. I'll be livid if he is still playing in th emiddle when Oliver returns.

Good: debut by Woey Jr. I doubt he'll ever be a core player but he can definitely contirbute at AFL level.

Bad: Kozzy. He is non-existent up forward this year. He needs a role change or a spell at Casey. He should be part of the midfield rotation.

Fugly: Fatty Brayshaw. He is putrid in the guts. IMO, his best role is in the back 6 but he doesn't deserve to be ahead of McVee, Salem, Rivers or Hibberd. I'll be livid if he is still playing in th emiddle when Oliver returns.
Swap him and Riv. Rivers should be playing midfield. Has the potential to be a gun in there. Brayshaw back 6 or Casey.

Both teams had momentum at times saints had come at us in the last quarter for a bit but we held them off. Brown also had a chance to put the margin out to 26.
Yeah. I think the final margin was about right. Saints played really well to their credit, and I thought we played better than last week.

I do feel that the forward mix is still not right, and the midfield mix is also out of whack with Oliver out and Trac forward more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back