Depression is in the brain - so, what else?

Remove this Banner Ad

Well according to the US Supreme Court ruling in 2010, a corporation is now deemed to be a PERSON.

that's how ill, demented and morally depraved the corporate capitalist fascist system has become.

And you support this form of tyranny?

could you explain the reason why the legal recognition of a corporation is bad? given that a corporation is just a piece of paper representing the association of people, why should those people lose their rights as people?

how could a corporation enter into contracts if they were not given this recognition? how could a corporation maintain other common law privileges without this recognition?

may be there is some great evil behind all this. Help me out and tell me.

could you explain the reason why the legal recognition of a corporation is bad? given that a corporation is just a piece of paper representing the association of people, why should those people lose their rights as people?

how could a corporation enter into contracts if they were not given this recognition? how could a corporation maintain other common law privileges without this recognition?

You haven't researched this very important fascist tyranny that you dearly love?

That's rather strange dont you think?

The 20th century sprouted 3 major forms of fascism

1. Bolshevism
2. Nazism
3. Corporatism

Well according to the US Supreme Court ruling in 2010, a corporation is now deemed to be a PERSON.

that's how ill, demented and morally depraved the corporate capitalist fascist system has become.

Corporations have been persons in the eyes of the law for a long, long time, my friend.

Much longer than three years.

Corporations have been persons in the eyes of the law for a long, long time, my friend.

Much longer than three years.
That's not correct.

The us Supreme Court ruling in 2010 is the only legal reference to corporations possessing the rote cations and rights of people.

Unless you have a legal ruling that pre dates the 2010 decision, your post will float away into irrelevancy

You haven't researched this very important fascist tyranny that you dearly love?

That's rather strange dont you think?

The 20th century sprouted 3 major forms of fascism

1. Bolshevism
2. Nazism
3. Corporatism

so you can't explain what the issue is?

Eat the corporate person.:thumbsu:

Yes indeed.

The primary task of the fascist corporate propagandist is to persuade the slaves that there are NO shackles around their ankles, no metal collar around their necks.

They are free to choose

Careful, soon you'll be diagnosed with something like Oppositional Defiant Disorder.

I know at least a dozen Christians who have had an audience with the Pope, not the current one, including my brother in law.
I'm sure they did not have any advice for him as I'm sure Harry merely met the Dalai Lama.
Me, personally I'd rather meet Carl Sagan, but that will only happen if one of the religions is correct and both he and I meet the entrance criteria.:(
10154362_574596185987968_480566099477535276_n.jpg
@Ghossein

do you mean the citizens united ruling? that didn't rule that a corporation is NOW a person- that distinction was held well before then. what that ruling stated (in the context of your post) was that corporations had similar free speech rights as the individual. it was a terrible ruling in my opinion, but not because of this.

do you mean the citizens united ruling? that didn't rule that a corporation is NOW a person- that distinction was held well before then. what that ruling stated (in the context of your post) was that corporations had similar free speech rights as the individual. it was a terrible ruling in my opinion, but not because of this.
was that not a century before Romney's godforsaken stupidly awful line at protesters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now why couldn't this be the same for other traits? I guess the point I'm making is that we give those with depression our sympathy and encouragement, because we see it as a disease beyond their control. But, if somebody is lazy, impulsive, greedy or whatever we assume that they're in full control and should be held accountable for their poor behaviour. I don't think there is a sharp distinction between depression and these other traits.
there probably isn't really.

i think one reason for the difference in public perception is quite simply the nature of the traits themselves. someone with depression (as a result of factors beyond their direct control) is suffering from what is normally a private struggle; that it involves a person suffering and that (generally) no on else is harmed makes it more open to expressions of sympathy and encouragement.

someone who is greedy (as a result of factors beyond their direct control) is the c*** who double parked your car; the trait itself does not open itself to expressions sympathy and encouragement. this can probably be expanded to more seriously disliked traits such the sexual drives of pedophiles etc.

Whether they be acute or clinical, their cause is probably an interplay between the person's genetics and their environment. Drawing the line of accountability somewhere is probably necessary because if you take my argument to it's conclusion noone is really responsible for anything. But, as I said where we draw the line is slowly shifting away from personal accountability into physical explanations (i.e brain states) for behaviour.
it is interesting and i do wonder how far "blame" will continue to shift away from personal accountability. i still think the agency of being, or as the determinists prefer, the "illusion of free-will", is so incredibly powerful and enveloping in the human experience that it may be a long while yet.

thanks for the good posts/thread.

Last edited:

well, that is the original terms of the corporation. it is actually now, so far removed from any r/ship to the "people". And the investments are atomised and sliced and diced, like Wall Street trying to untangle those mortgagedebtobligations and who owned them.

No expert but, in the case of typical depression, it's not the emotions which are out of whack but the chemicals which control the emotions.
Certainly chemical imbalance can effect personal accountability, as can brain damage.
I have no special insight either but my understanding is there are many types of depressive illnesses. Not all a chemical imbalances. Gets back to the age old nature, nurture question.

it is interesting and i do wonder how far "blame" will continue to shift away from personal accountability. i still think the agency of being, or as the determinists prefer, the "illusion of free-will", is so incredibly powerful and enveloping in the human experience that it may be a long while yet.

thanks for the good posts/thread.
skilts might make some caveat to his rejection of the determinist position with those 28 men they know of from St Aloysius in Geelong that went off and topped themselves after the men in robes deflowered them.

yes, that is a pretty poor example to invoke for the sake of this argument, informal fallacy?

No expert but, in the case of typical depression, it's not the emotions which are out of whack but the chemicals which control the emotions.
Certainly chemical imbalance can effect personal accountability, as can brain damage.
What does out of whack mean? When does basic human variation cross the line and become out of whack?

Don't involve me in this s**t. I have enough trouble coping with a comprehensible definition of what constitutes depression. Those who suffer from this illness have difficulty in describing exactly how specific symptoms manifest themselves, for them. No criticism, just an observation. There also seem to be conflicting opinions abroad about how to treat it, indeed as to whether this be possible at all.
William Styron goes into all of this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Styron
220px-William_Styron.jpg

Most interesting mate. Thanks for the link. Of course I've heard of him, but haven't read his work. I don't think I have anyway. These days, I rarely read fiction. Yes, I know that's my loss. So many books, so little time, you know.
darkness visible aint even a novella. its a non-fiction essay, take you 30mins on the train.
What does out of whack mean? When does basic human variation cross the line and become out of whack?
is there an assumption, that the natural predisposition is "in whack". And unnatural disposition, is out of whack. How many artists, writers, et al, fosterwallace rothko et al et al, have topped themselves. might be a strong correlation, which, would not indicate it is necessarily, "out of whack".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back