Analysis Depth Chart/Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Updated Senior & VFL sides I'd like to see us play

AFL: Name Age(2/4/16) Games Played Height Weight

B: Jake Batchelor 24 75 188cm 88kg Troy Chaplin 30 207 195cm 97kg Dylan Grimes 24 63 193cm 89kg

HB: Chris Yarran 25 119 180cm 82kg Alex Rance 26 130 194cm 96kg Bachar Houli 27 137 180cm 84kg

C: Brandon Ellis 22 88 181cm 84kg Nick Vlastuin 21 61 187cm 86kg Corey Ellis 19 6 184cm 80kg

HF: Brett Deledio 28 232 188cm 89kg Jack Riewoldt 27 180 195cm 94kg Ben Lennon 20 9 188cm 83kg

F: Shane Edwards 27 168 182cm 81kg Tyrone Vickery 25 102 200cm 98kg Dustin Martin 24 131 187cm 90kg

R: Shaun Hampson 28 78 201cm 106kg Trent Cotchin 25 153 185cm 85kg Anthony Miles 24 46 179cm 80kg

INT: Reece Conca 23 74 185cm 83kg Kamdyn McIntosh 21 23 192cm 89kg Jacob Townsend 22 28 186cm 89kg Connor Menadue 19 5 187cm 75kg

Averages:
Age 24.1 Games 96.1 Height 188cm Weight 87.6kg

Backs:
Much more even balance through the back 6 with this line up. Chappy & Rance as the 2 key position types, Grimes to play the 3rd tall role, Batchelor to take the medium sized forwards and Houli & Yarran to provide the run and carry out of D50. For rotational purposes I'd use McIntosh as the 7th defender to allow Vlastuin to move into the midfield where his size and attack on the man and the ball will be beneficial as we look to address our contested ball ability.

Midfield:
As mentioned Vlastuin comes into the middle of the ground to help improve the hardness around the contest and also provide added protection to the ball winners like Cotchin and Miles. With McIntosh going into the back line I'm playing the Ellis boys on each wing. Brandons gut running will cause trouble for most sides while Jack Vickery and co up forward will be salivating at the thought of Coreys left foot delivering the ball into F50. The one change that will no doubt have people upset is moving Hampson into the number 1 ruck role. As great as Maric has been for us it's becoming clear that he struggles against the more athletic types that are starting to come through. Hampson can compete with them in the ruck contest and should be agile/mobile enough to get around the ground with them. The only way we're going to find out for sure is to play Hampson from the get go and give him a good shot at it. If not we can turn back to Maric.

Forwards:
2 genuine talls, 2 mobile high half forwards, a goal kicking resting mid and a creative small, to me that is our most dangerous set up inside F50. Vickery deep and Jack at CHF suits both their strengths given Jack has worked on his tank while Ty has shown he can take a contested grab and is deadly accurate shooting for goal. I've got Deledio & Lennon as the high HFs who can be dangerous inside 50 but also push up into the middle and give us extra numbers around the contest. I'm starting Dusty as a FP who will give most mid sized defenders nightmares if isolated 1-1 deep with him. In the other pocket I'm using Titch initially as his creativity and evasiveness in traffic will create a lot of goals once the ball hits the ground.

Interchange:
Tossed up between going 3 mid sized runners and an extra tall for ruck support or going the 4 runners straight up. I ended up going with the 4 runners as the reduced cap makes it hard to carry a tall whose solely there as a 2nd ruck, it's a waste of a spot. Hampson & Vickery sharing the ruck should get us through in and injury we can still make adjustments for a game and not really lose out. The 4 I've gone with are McIntosh(defender rotation) with Conca Townsend & Menadue as midfield/forward rotations. Some might question the choice of Menadue but the kid showed some nice things in his limited game time last year and I'd like to fast track that development as his pace and endurance will be very handy in the next few years. Townsend along with Vlastuin bring the bigger bodies we've been looking for in the middle, while Conca is a player who need to make up ground for the last 2 years lost to injury. Despite the dislike for him on here I'm still a believer in Conca becoming the player Jackson thought he'd become when he drafted him ahead of Heppel.

So that's the senior side which is probably our most well balanced side mixing size, skill, speed & hardness in many a year.

VFL Side

B: Nathan Broad David Astbury Callum Moore

HB: Jason Castagna Todd Elton Taylor Hunt

C: Nathan Drummond Shaun Grigg Oleg Markov

HF: Daniel Butler Reece McKenzie Sam Lloyd

F: Liam McBean Ben Griffiths Daniel Rioli

R: Ivan Maric Andrew Moore Kane Lambert

INT: Adam Marcon Jayden Short Steve Morris Mabior Chol Ivan Soldo

Depending on injuries this is the blueprint of the side that I'd like to see form the VFL side, it's as close as I can get to the structure of the AFL. Given the story that Moore will be developed as a defender I've got him in the back pocket to start his development in the role. Outside that not much changes in terms of players roles. With Maric down in the VFL his leadership would help the development of Lil Ivan and Chol in the ruck. Like the AFL side this side has a good balance which will hopefully see the VFL sides performances become much better which will also aid the development of the kids which is the big difference between the development of our kids and the likes of Hawthorn Geelong & Collingwoods kids who play the same roles in the VFL as they will be asked to in the AFL.

It's a good question and as of right now I'm not sure he really has earnt a spot in our best 22. As i said just above though, with the sub rule no more I think we will see most clubs much more willing to play that extra fwd/ruck, so I'm not sure if he really deserves a spot or how he fits in but I think it's pretty likely he will play round 1. Added to this there is no one really in the 2s I listed that demands selection as of this moment, that could certainly change over pre-season and there are multiple players capable of doing so but I feel like if they picked a team to play tomorrow Griff would be in it.
the NAB games will tell us alot. most kids will play the 1st one in Perth i'd imagine & snr's will stay in Melb, that is thyere chance to put thier hand up for NAB 2 & onwards etc

Updated Senior & VFL sides I'd like to see us play

AFL: Name Age(2/4/16) Games Played Height Weight

B: Jake Batchelor 24 75 188cm 88kg Troy Chaplin 30 207 195cm 97kg Dylan Grimes 24 63 193cm 89kg

HB: Chris Yarran 25 119 180cm 82kg Alex Rance 26 130 194cm 96kg Bachar Houli 27 137 180cm 84kg

C: Brandon Ellis 22 88 181cm 84kg Nick Vlastuin 21 61 187cm 86kg Corey Ellis 19 6 184cm 80kg

HF: Brett Deledio 28 232 188cm 89kg Jack Riewoldt 27 180 195cm 94kg Ben Lennon 20 9 188cm 83kg

F: Shane Edwards 27 168 182cm 81kg Tyrone Vickery 25 102 200cm 98kg Dustin Martin 24 131 187cm 90kg

R: Shaun Hampson 28 78 201cm 106kg Trent Cotchin 25 153 185cm 85kg Anthony Miles 24 46 179cm 80kg

INT: Reece Conca 23 74 185cm 83kg Kamdyn McIntosh 21 23 192cm 89kg Jacob Townsend 22 28 186cm 89kg Connor Menadue 19 5 187cm 75kg

Averages:
Age 24.1 Games 96.1 Height 188cm Weight 87.6kg

Backs:
Much more even balance through the back 6 with this line up. Chappy & Rance as the 2 key position types, Grimes to play the 3rd tall role, Batchelor to take the medium sized forwards and Houli & Yarran to provide the run and carry out of D50. For rotational purposes I'd use McIntosh as the 7th defender to allow Vlastuin to move into the midfield where his size and attack on the man and the ball will be beneficial as we look to address our contested ball ability.

Midfield:
As mentioned Vlastuin comes into the middle of the ground to help improve the hardness around the contest and also provide added protection to the ball winners like Cotchin and Miles. With McIntosh going into the back line I'm playing the Ellis boys on each wing. Brandons gut running will cause trouble for most sides while Jack Vickery and co up forward will be salivating at the thought of Coreys left foot delivering the ball into F50. The one change that will no doubt have people upset is moving Hampson into the number 1 ruck role. As great as Maric has been for us it's becoming clear that he struggles against the more athletic types that are starting to come through. Hampson can compete with them in the ruck contest and should be agile/mobile enough to get around the ground with them. The only way we're going to find out for sure is to play Hampson from the get go and give him a good shot at it. If not we can turn back to Maric.

Forwards:
2 genuine talls, 2 mobile high half forwards, a goal kicking resting mid and a creative small, to me that is our most dangerous set up inside F50. Vickery deep and Jack at CHF suits both their strengths given Jack has worked on his tank while Ty has shown he can take a contested grab and is deadly accurate shooting for goal. I've got Deledio & Lennon as the high HFs who can be dangerous inside 50 but also push up into the middle and give us extra numbers around the contest. I'm starting Dusty as a FP who will give most mid sized defenders nightmares if isolated 1-1 deep with him. In the other pocket I'm using Titch initially as his creativity and evasiveness in traffic will create a lot of goals once the ball hits the ground.

Interchange:
Tossed up between going 3 mid sized runners and an extra tall for ruck support or going the 4 runners straight up. I ended up going with the 4 runners as the reduced cap makes it hard to carry a tall whose solely there as a 2nd ruck, it's a waste of a spot. Hampson & Vickery sharing the ruck should get us through in and injury we can still make adjustments for a game and not really lose out. The 4 I've gone with are McIntosh(defender rotation) with Conca Townsend & Menadue as midfield/forward rotations. Some might question the choice of Menadue but the kid showed some nice things in his limited game time last year and I'd like to fast track that development as his pace and endurance will be very handy in the next few years. Townsend along with Vlastuin bring the bigger bodies we've been looking for in the middle, while Conca is a player who need to make up ground for the last 2 years lost to injury. Despite the dislike for him on here I'm still a believer in Conca becoming the player Jackson thought he'd become when he drafted him ahead of Heppel.

So that's the senior side which is probably our most well balanced side mixing size, skill, speed & hardness in many a year.

VFL Side

B: Nathan Broad David Astbury Callum Moore

HB: Jason Castagna Todd Elton Taylor Hunt

C: Nathan Drummond Shaun Grigg Oleg Markov

HF: Daniel Butler Reece McKenzie Sam Lloyd

F: Liam McBean Ben Griffiths Daniel Rioli

R: Ivan Maric Andrew Moore Kane Lambert

INT: Adam Marcon Jayden Short Steve Morris Mabior Chol Ivan Soldo

Depending on injuries this is the blueprint of the side that I'd like to see form the VFL side, it's as close as I can get to the structure of the AFL. Given the story that Moore will be developed as a defender I've got him in the back pocket to start his development in the role. Outside that not much changes in terms of players roles. With Maric down in the VFL his leadership would help the development of Lil Ivan and Chol in the ruck. Like the AFL side this side has a good balance which will hopefully see the VFL sides performances become much better which will also aid the development of the kids which is the big difference between the development of our kids and the likes of Hawthorn Geelong & Collingwoods kids who play the same roles in the VFL as they will be asked to in the AFL.
I know you started with 'what I'd like to see', but there's no way Grigg will play 2's. As much as you don't rate him, he's an automatic selection well
into the first part of the season. He would have to have a few single digit possie games to get dropped.

I know you started with 'what I'd like to see', but there's no way Grigg will play 2's. As much as you don't rate him, he's an automatic selection well
into the first part of the season. He would have to have a few single digit possie games to get dropped.
Dimma talked up the likes of Corey Menadue & Drummond so someone has to make way for them, we also have to fit in Yarran, so Grigg is one who makes way, although you could easily swap him and Townsend around. However we've made a habit in recent times to play mature players we go out and trade for and Townsend is a tackling machine unlike Grigg so he gets the nod for mine.

Dimma talked up the likes of Corey Menadue & Drummond so someone has to make way for them, we also have to fit in Yarran, so Grigg is one who makes way, although you could easily swap him and Townsend around. However we've made a habit in recent times to play mature players we go out and trade for and Townsend is a tackling machine unlike Grigg so he gets the nod for mine.
I would be looking at Conca to be the one who would be making way in your team for Townsend if you feel Townsend must come in. Grigg finished 9th in the B&F and has runs on the board. I'd be extremely surprised if at the R1team selection Grigg is not one of the first 10 put on the board. Menadue I agree is a chance, but would need to have some dominant games in the preaseason coming into R1 to dislodge Grigg.

If and a big if, Astbury is fit enough to play FB, then I think Batchelor is in the gun. Grimes plays his role on the talls and smalls. The BL would be:
Grimes, Astbury, Chaplin
Houli, Rance, Yarran
If Astbury is in the side then I'd hope that Chaplin would make way

B: Grimes, Chaplin, Bachelor
HB: Yarran, Rance, Houli
C: B Ellis, Miles, K Mac
HF: Lennon, Jack, Lids
F: Edwards, Vickery, Martin
Foll: Maric, Cotchin, Townsend
Int: Grigg, Vlas, C Ellis, Conca

VFL Team
B: Morris, Astbury, Elton
HB: Broad, C Moore, Hunt
C: Castagna, Drummond, Menadue
HF: Lloyd , Griffiths, Oleg
FF: McBean, R Mac, Rioli
Foll, Hampson, A Moore, Lambert
Int: Butler, Maccon, Soldo, Chol, Short

So, what does our best injury free team look like next year?

B: Grimes, Rance, Vlastuin
HB : Houli, Chaplin, Yarran
C: Mcintosh, Miles, B.Ellis
HF: Edwards, Vickery, Deledio
F: Lennon, Riewoldt, Griffiths
FOL: Maric, Cotchin, Martin
I/C: C.Ellis, Grigg, Lambert, Conca

Possible best 22 that missed out: Hunt, Moore, Rioli, Townsend, Batchelor, Mcbean

I actually think Hunt will still be in our 22 next year because Dimma loves him, but he's definitely not in mine.

Is Griff & Conca still in our best squad? Will McBean get regular games? Will Batchelor be squeezed out?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As long as Griffiths and Chaplin are best 22 we won't be going anywhere.

Love Griffiths' marking but to me he has never translated it into being a footballer. His only other good attribute (kicking) seems to have regressed in the past year too. Might be time to make a call.

Everything Chaplin offers as a so-called leader in the backline could be provided by making him a runner so we don't have to waste a rotation on a player that hates physical contact and has never won a contest in his life.

Was re-watching the Giants game yesterday and it really stands out who the leaders are at our football club. 1. Jack and Rance, always doing the team thing and winning contests. 2. Cotch and Batch, going in hard when it is their turn to go. 3. Miles and Vlaustuin - quiet achievers who give 100% all day. The rest drift in and out of the game at best, or put extra pressure on their teammates at worst.

As long as Griffiths and Chaplin are best 22 we won't be going anywhere.

Love Griffiths' marking but to me he has never translated it into being a footballer. His only other good attribute (kicking) seems to have regressed in the past year too. Might be time to make a call.

Everything Chaplin offers as a so-called leader in the backline could be provided by making him a runner so we don't have to waste a rotation on a player that hates physical contact and has never won a contest in his life.

Was re-watching the Giants game yesterday and it really stands out who the leaders are at our football club. 1. Jack and Rance, always doing the team thing and winning contests. 2. Cotch and Batch, going in hard when it is their turn to go. 3. Miles and Vlaustuin - quiet achievers who give 100% all day. The rest drift in and out of the game at best, or put extra pressure on their teammates at worst.
Chaplin I agree with, but that's because at 30 he's not far off retirement so of course he's not going to get any better.

Disagree on Griffiths though, he's still only 24 for almost all of the 2016 season. He's only just getting to the age (25+) where his body has grown into his frame and it should all start to click for him. Very handy player coming off the bench too now that the sub is gone as he's a very handy backup ruckman and can also play CHF if we want to go with 3 talls. Need to pray to the football gods that he is injury free next year so we can see what he's got.
With Maric over 30 and Hampson's knee not looking great, we may need him more than you think.

Don't get me wrong, I love the kid. Just haven't seen anything from him other than contested marking yet. Maybe he'll develop - until then he shouldn't be best 22. I think he has been a non-entity in too many games to be considered best 22.

So, what does our best injury free team look like next year?

B: Grimes, Rance, Vlastuin
HB : Houli, Chaplin, Yarran
C: Mcintosh, Miles, B.Ellis
HF: Edwards, Vickery, Deledio
F: Lennon, Riewoldt, Griffiths
FOL: Maric, Cotchin, Martin
I/C: C.Ellis, Grigg, Lambert, Conca

Possible best 22 that missed out: Hunt, Moore, Rioli, Townsend, Batchelor, Mcbean

I actually think Hunt will still be in our 22 next year because Dimma loves him, but he's definitely not in mine.

Is Griff & Conca still in our best squad? Will McBean get regular games? Will Batchelor be squeezed out?
Nice teams :)
This is what I'd like to see happen:

Round 1:
B/ Grimes - Chaplin - Batchelor
HB/ Houli - Rance - Vlastuin
C/ B Ellis - Conca - McIntosh
HF/ Lennon - Vickery - Martin
F/ Deledio - Riewoldt - Griffiths
R/ Maric - Cotchin - Miles
Int/ Grigg - Edwards - Hunt - Yarran

By Round 12ish I'd like to see an evolution of the team, not because of losses but more because 1 by 1 these guys took their chance and made us even more exciting. Some guys I don't wanna leave out which is a nice position to be in:

B/ Batchelor - Grimes - Menadue
HB/ Houli - Rance - Yarran
C/ B Ellis - Vlastuin - McIntosh
HF/ Lennon - Vickery - Deledio
F/ Rioli - Riewoldt - Griffiths
R/ Hampson - Cotchin - Martin
Int/ C Ellis - Edwards - Lambert - Marcon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back