Player Watch Derick Wanganeen (2011-14)

Remove this Banner Ad

Williamstown 19.7-121 Def Box Hill Hawks 9.12-66

Derick Wanganeen: Best Player For Box Hill Hawks Development Team

Named on the Wing.

Stats - Unknown

I can find this for the Development Team.

Box Hill Hawks
Goal Kickers: D. WANGANEEN 3, B. Monkhorst 3, T. Purcell 2, B. Kennedy 2, L. Kitchin 2, S. Grimley , A. Fagan , L. Andrews , D. Cooper
Best Players: D. WANGANEEN, L. Andrews, L. Tobin, L. Kitchin, D. Van Unen, A. Fagan
Coburg Tigers
Goal Kickers: R. Jordan 3, D. MacDonald 3, R. Hore 2, N. Westhoff 2, P. Ambrose 2, D. Murphy , T. Lucin , W. Wheeler
Best Players: R. Hore, W. Wheeler, A. Duhau, R. Jordan, G. Grgic, D. Fahey

16:14:110 Boxhill Hawks

15:7:97 Coburg Tigers

This young bloke did some nice things for Box Hill seniors on Saturday against Sandringham. Nothing wrong with his attack on the footy. Will watch his development with interest.

DERICK Wanganeen was "shattered" when he was overlooked at last year's national, pre-season and rookie drafts.

The 19-year-old had represented SA at the national under-18 championships that year and impressed at junior level with the Port Magpies only to be passed over by AFL clubs

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/dericks-dream-a-reality/story-fn525un5-1225967141592

2011 Player Review

Review by its game on

46. Derick Wanganeen

Derick_Wanganeen.jpg

Drafted: No 52 in 2010 Rookie Draft
DOB: 6/2/91
Ht: 174cm
AFL games: 0
VFL games: 17 VFL seniors: 14 VFL seconds: 3
Goals: 24 Goals: 21 Goals: 3
Named in best: 3 1 2

Derick had a year that he and the HFC would both be pleased with.
His 2011 season has been rewarded with a relisting as a rookie for 2012 and I look forward to his elevation to the main list this time next year.
I personally watched most of Derick’s games live and thoroughly enjoyed his creativity, smile and celebrations. The one aspect that struck me was that he was really enjoying himself out there, which is really important for a young indigenous player, as some can struggle away from home and the close knit cultures of the indigenous families and their extended communities.
Derick scored 24 goals which was a great effort, particularly when taking in account Box Hill’s less than stellar 2011 season. He’s your classic goal sneak type in the Steven Milne mould.
In summary 2012 will be an exciting season for young Derick as he consolidates on his 2011 season and the introduction to the demands of being a professional AFL footballer.

In other selection news, Derick Wanganeen, a distant relative of former Brownlow medallist Gavin, has been named in the Hawthorn squad to play Brisbane on Sunday after being upgraded from the rookie list.
Wanganeen hails from Port Lincoln, a region that has produced several outstanding players.
The elevation, while exciting for Wanganeen, does raise an issue for the Hawks whose ruckman Max Bailey's continued absence with a wrist injury is a major concern.

I would like to know people's Thoughts about that too

Skilled and semi-dangerous as a small forward. He does enough in games to stay interested in him. He is typical of many forward pockets in that his possession nos are low and when he has a good game it is when get gets 3 goals but with 10 possessions only. If you want to wear that then he has value. He has been at the Hawks for 3 seasons and has never been given any serious midfield time probably because this is for hard nosed grunt players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a bit sad to see this.

He joins Frank and Boseley now as players delisted after a double premiership in the AFL and VFL. Whilst Amos and Andrew were more Dev Team regulars, Derick was certainly a very solid VFL senior's player and a valuable contributor especially after moving to the backline at Box Hill.

All the best to Derick for the future.

I agree Its Game On & SSSSSS. Genuinely sad to see Wangers delisted. I too thought his change in form in the backline may have saved him. He was great.
Really valuable contributor in the VFL Flag - I remember at one stage in the first half thinking he was close to best on ground. I think he played not unlike Poppy.
Sometimes being at a strong club like Hawthorn is a real disadvantage when it comes to opportunity. Especially for the untried players.
Good luck & thanks. I hope your future is all the better for your 3 years at the club.

Agree Gents I had Wangers pencilled in for round 1 next year in the AFL side replacing Goo. He certainly came good up back as a sweeper but also had enough pace to get out of trouble. I think it is his build that has ultimately gone against him as he is still reasonably slight after 3 season in the AFL system. But would have liked to have upgraded him and given him a season at senior level. Seems a funny one to have given him 3 seasons and the moment he shows form he gets chopped. Good luck Wangers.

Surprised we chose Ceglar over him. We need three draft picks so obviously we thought we needed another ruckman on the list.

Hope we re rookie him. I think he has some quality. Should be drafted by someone

Agree Gents I had Wangers pencilled in for round 1 next year in the AFL side replacing Goo. He certainly came good up back as a sweeper but also had enough pace to get out of trouble. I think it is his build that has ultimately gone against him as he is still reasonably slight after 3 season in the AFL system. But would have liked to have upgraded him and given him a season at senior level. Seems a funny one to have given him 3 seasons and the moment he shows form he gets chopped. Good luck Wangers.

What over Duryea?

Absolutely! Really good news. It would only take another year at best to see if his development continues. Doc moves into Goo's spot & Wanganeen can be the small defensive depth player. He certainly is a low risk rookie selection. I would be very pleased for him. I really did get the impression when Wright talked about the Ceglar upgrade it was due to pressure of him going elsewhere if he wasn't elevated. Wright's statement was there was no room for Wanganeen as opposed to anything else. Its not what is normally said when someone is delisted eg Amos & Boseley.

Absolutely! Really good news. It would only take another year at best to see if his development continues. Doc moves into Goo's spot & Wanganeen can be the small defensive depth player. He certainly is a low risk rookie selection. I would be very pleased for him. I really did get the impression when Wright talked about the Ceglar upgrade it was due to pressure of him going elsewhere if he wasn't elevated. Wright's statement was there was no room for Wanganeen as opposed to anything else. Its not what is normally said when someone is delisted eg Amos & Boseley.

Yep, good point FairCall.

I didn't see him at all in the second half of the year when he played some footy down back, but reading the reports of the guys who saw him for BHH, there was a bit to like.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back