News Dimma's interview 'On the Couch

Remove this Banner Ad

I have accepted that although we are all Richmond supporters and that kind of allows a lot of us to form a sense of family, brother and sisters a like, some of us here clearly don't feel that way, in saying that.

I thought what Peggy said was outstanding, she stood as a cultural pillar, someone strong enough to handle the top job and not be swayed from the task by anything that would seek compromise the future of the Richmond football club, especially it's over emotional supporter base, the best thing for the club is stability and starts at the top from with in, i have no doubt that with in those walls everything is being thought of and constantly assessed so that we can move towards sustained success.

I thought Dimma on the couch was brilliant, he showed great strength of character a steadfast resolve which is ultimately what is needed to withstand the barrages from supporters and the media, he is focused on making Richmond a successful team and that is clear and it was almost like reading from a BF script at some stages, we always call into question his game day coaching ability, the use of our players, team selection and his ability to motivate players to perform at the best of there ability, we seem to think by watching game on tv or on the boundary line that we are much more informed to say what should be happening and make the big decisions, positions, who should and shouldn't be playing, strategies just about every facet of the game (me included), i always ask myself what makes my opinion more valid? Who am i to say what should and shouldn't be happening, who am i to say that some of the other posters on here are wrong, i don't know if Damien Hardwick is the coach to take us to a premiership, what i can see is Peggy's words ringing true and removing the emotion from the decision making process can make things clearer, we have a path, we have direction, important decisions are being made and the decision as to weather DH will be our premiership coach or not will be made at the right time, i am sure of it.

A poster on here directed a comment towards me some time ago that i rely on faith, well i do think a little faith is needed.

Of course this is my opinion and who am i to say i am right and you are wrong? What i do know is now that i am unemployed i have far to much time on my hands. :p

Wart you said alll these same things when Danny Frawley was coach and Greg Miller said we needed stability.

10 years later you're still saying the same things.

And what the darksiders refuse to acknowledge was the changes were made by Hardwick at qtr time.
Guess what fellas, we saw plan A, B, B2.0, with scenarios 1-6 overlaid on each one.
Ripper game day coaching. Try something, doesn't work, fix it.
No magic wand sunshine...just good old fashioned game day coaching.

It puzzles me how you can be happy with those affairs you described. Let me explain.

The general focus in here seems to be if what happened after quarter time had a lot to do with Dimma, or if it didn't have much to do with him. Regardless of it if did or did not THAT IS NOT THE ISSUE.

The real issue here is that it's been clear to everyone from very early on this season that we weren't playing right, yet it took until after Q1 round 7 to start rectifying it. It doesn't matter who, what, where or how the change to playing more positively came about, what matters is it took almost 2 months into the season and starting down the barrel of our 5th loss for the change to happen. Regardless of whether it came directly from him or not, how you're not holding our senior coach even slightly accountable for it taking so long into the season is beyond me. It's his 6th year, there are no more excuses. Your attitude is basically "It took until Christmas but it happened once so i'm fairly happy". Safe to say I don't share the same view, nor do most of the people here or people i've spoken too.

Our plan A is bogus and doesn't work effectively for US winning games of football. If you can't see that now then you're never going to see it. It's got very little to do with what the opposition makes us do and a lot to do with how we approach the game ourselves. The real kicker is Dimma said on the couch that he DOESN'T want us playing the style of football we've proved to be effective for us. As I said, how you can be happy and even defend this state of affairs is beyond me.

Last edited:
Oh we have issues, make no mistake.
Punters just need a bit bit of perspective, and ease up on occasions when the convicted felon actually does ok.

No, no, no, we just beat Collingwood. Everything is great. Dimma is THE MAN.
#dimmasno1fan
#everythingisgreat

Sent from my iPad using righteous man power.

It puzzles me how you can be happy with those affairs you described. Let me explain.

The general focus in here seems to be if what happened after quarter time had a lot to do with Dimma, or if it didn't have much to do with him. Regardless of it if did or did not THAT IS NOT THE ISSUE.

The real issue here is that it's been clear to everyone from very early on this season that we weren't playing right, yet it took until after Q1 round 7 to start rectifying it. It doesn't matter who, what, where or how the change to playing more positively came about, what matters is it took almost 2 months into the season and starting down the barrel of our 5th loss for the change to happen. How you're not holding our senior coach accountable for this even in the slightest is beyond me. Your attitude is basically "It took until Christmas but it happened once so i'm fairly happy". Safe to say I don't share the same view, nor do most of the people here or people i've spoken too.

Our plan A is bogus and doesn't work effectively for US winning games of football. If you can't see that now then you're never going to see it. The real kicker is Dimma said on the couch that he DOESN'T want us playing the style of football we've proved to be effective for us. As I said, how you can be happy and even defend this state of affairs is beyond me.

If you can find (anywhere) me saying I'm happy with our start to the season I'll give you $50.
Plan A is not bogus. It works a treat when we execute properly. Ask yourself if plan A requires B Ellis to turnover the pill 3 times in Q1 when we are charging forward? That s**t has been going on all year. Ask yourself if Griffo (and many others) kicking points from 20m is plan A. Plan A also usually sees us forcing turnovers forward of centre...that didn't happen on Sunday but the boys did pressure Coll all the way to D50, slowed them up, got it back and started scoring chains from further back than normal. That's what Hardwick referred to when he said it's not our usual style. We prefer to pressure closer to our goal but denying Collingwood the corridor(watch it again) forced them wide. Our defensive structures were changed mid game to adapt to the situation and it worked.
You can continue to focus on other losses this year to make your point. Fine. I was just focussing on a bit of reality this week that the Hardwick haters have ignored because it's the INCONVENIENT TRUTH.

#dimmasno1fan
#everythingisgreat

lol. Ok. Maybe he is the man. Beating Collingwood doesn't prove it, but if you're convinced that's ok with me.

lol. Ok. Maybe he is the man. Beating Collingwood doesn't prove it, but if you're convinced that's ok with me.

No, i've seen the light. Peggy set me straight. I have burned all my black or dark coloured t shirts, such is my disdain for those minority darksiders.
I only wear beige, cream, ivory or bone coloured clothes., listen to easy listening radio, and only have intimate relations with my wife on Fridays and it's missionary.
In Dimma i trust.

No, i've seen the light. Peggy set me straight. I have burned all my black or dark coloured t shirts, such is my disdain for those minority darksiders.
I only wear beige, cream, ivory or bone coloured clothes., listen to easy listening radio, and only have intimate relations with my wife on Fridays and it's missionary.
In Dimma i trust.

It feels good venting doesn't it just be careful it got me banned a few times.

Did anyone watch the interview with Dimma 'On the Couch'?

Please don't take this as 'Dimma bashing' but correct me if I'm wrong, towards the end of the interview they were talking about our style of play against Collingwood with the scoring set ups from the back half etc.

Dimma mentioned that was more a North Melbourne game style and that its not what we are trying to do (similar to those words)... then he joked that well if its getting results maybe we should stick to it.

that is just mind blowing. this is the exact issue. our players are being instructed to play a certain style which doesnt suit them. we abandon it and the players seemingly play their own brand of footy and we pile on 8 goals in a quarter..

did anyone else interpret those comments that way or am i reading too much into it?

link to video
http://www.afl.com.au/video?guid=752622

He was saying that we were not controlling the ball as much and hence were having to rebound from inside 50 more.... Like North do. This was in response to a question saying that we had finally lost the I50 count but won the game....

He would rather we had more of the ball, dominate the I50 but use it better going forward....

I would prefer we had more I50 that were also effective.... personally I think 3 talls as a setup helped with the quality if entries....

sorry it was more of a generic question rather than a direct one ha ha, we are all mugs here. :D

call me crazy but surely the only data that really matters are the columns labelled Goals, Behinds, Total Score and 'Wins?

I know coaching under 16 football is A LOT different to AFL, but we focused on 4 stats each game. Tackle count (i set specific targets for each game, if they wern't met because of lack of effort there was punishment at training), inside 50's but in conjunction with how many goals we scored, handballs received (we wanted this number through the roof as it meant we were moving the ball quick) and the amount of times we switched play.

I still feel that a lot of those targets i set my guys are very simple yet capture the basic fundmentals of a 'winning game style' (you need the cattle to go with it obviously) and we ended up winning the flag that year, with a team consisting of half of them playing up a year (so they should have been under 15's) and the other half being the off cuts of the under 16's div 1 side that we had.

simply because the players believed in what we were asking them to do.

This isnt happening at richmond because its being over complicated i reckon. Keep it simple and keep playing the game style that got us 8 goals in a quarter.

Yeah...nah. It's like this at every club. Hence why Champion Data get paid huge megabucks to keep and provide live stats of so many different areas to clubs....

You couldn't do it at U16 level because you might bamboozle the kids and to be honest, you'd have a hard time accurately recording the stats.

Love the negative use of exercise as a motivation :rolleyes: very 70's and 80's.

It feels good venting doesn't it just be careful it got me banned a few times.

Oh no, no venting here. It's bliss. Life is just full of flowers, rainbows and sunshine. Port are doomed.
#standbyplanA
#dimmarocks

If you can find (anywhere) me saying I'm happy with our start to the season I'll give you $50.
Plan A is not bogus. It works a treat when we execute properly. Ask yourself if plan A requires B Ellis to turnover the pill 3 times in Q1 when we are charging forward? That s**t has been going on all year. Ask yourself if Griffo (and many others) kicking points from 20m is plan A. Plan A also usually sees us forcing turnovers forward of centre...that didn't happen on Sunday but the boys did pressure Coll all the way to D50, slowed them up, got it back and started scoring chains from further back than normal. That's what Hardwick referred to when he said it's not our usual style. We prefer to pressure closer to our goal but denying Collingwood the corridor(watch it again) forced them wide. Our defensive structures were changed mid game to adapt to the situation and it worked.
You can continue to focus on other losses this year to make your point. Fine. I was just focussing on a bit of reality this week that the Hardwick haters have ignored because it's the INCONVENIENT TRUTH.

As I said, if you can't see it now then you're never going to see it.

Plan A is bogus purely for the fact that it's a plan we still struggle to execute after so long. If it was good, regardless of the end score we'd be playing consistent footy with it right now. But we are not playing consistent footy with it. If we can hardly put it into action to our benefit on field it means that it's not an effective match for our club, meaning it's pretty stupid to still be persisting with it so vehemently so far down the track. Whoop di doo it works a treat once in a blue moon when we get it right. What actually works more of a treat with more consistent results is when we go away from it, as we saw all through our winning streak late last year and after Q1 on Sunday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#dimmasno1fan
#everythingisgreat

Now now, CB17, if we can't enjoy a win over the Pies when can we?
I'm sure the real Captain Blood would be enjoying any win over the hated enemy, let's take it one week at a time and this week was a good week. :)

Oh we have issues, make no mistake.
Punters just need a bit bit of perspective, and ease up on occasions when the convicted felon actually does ok.
He struggled on the couch . It wasn't a performance by an AFL coach but more like David Hughes when his timing is out .

The real issue here is that it's been clear to everyone from very early on this season that we weren't playing right, yet it took until after Q1 round 7 to start rectifying it. It doesn't matter who, what, where or how the change to playing more positively came about, what matters is it took almost 2 months into the season and starting down the barrel of our 5th loss for the change to happen. Regardless of whether it came directly from him or not, how you're not holding our senior coach even slightly accountable for it taking so long into the season is beyond me. It's his 6th year, there are no more excuses. Your attitude is basically "It took until Christmas but it happened once so i'm fairly happy". Safe to say I don't share the same view, nor do most of the people here or people i've spoken too.

Our plan A is bogus and doesn't work effectively for US winning games of football. If you can't see that now then you're never going to see it. It's got very little to do with what the opposition makes us do and a lot to do with how we approach the game ourselves. The real kicker is Dimma said on the couch that he DOESN'T want us playing the style of football we've proved to be effective for us. As I said, how you can be happy and even defend this state of affairs is beyond me.
In fairness to Livo he is just sticking up for his brother in law who is way out of his depth in his job.

In fairness to Livo he is just sticking up for his brother in law who is way out of his depth in his job.

Lol out of anyone I think you actually hate Dimma the most. What I judge him are the results and the way we play... not on him personally.

My only criticism of him on a personal level is that imo he's a bit soft for an AFL coach.. he could do well with living up to name and be a bit harder. But I don't dislike him as a person.. he's a great bloke and the boys love him. You seem to really dislike him though

I have accepted that although we are all Richmond supporters and that kind of allows a lot of us to form a sense of family, brother and sisters a like, some of us here clearly don't feel that way, in saying that.

I thought what Peggy said was outstanding, she stood as a cultural pillar, someone strong enough to handle the top job and not be swayed from the task by anything that would seek compromise the future of the Richmond football club, especially it's over emotional supporter base, the best thing for the club is stability and starts at the top from with in, i have no doubt that with in those walls everything is being thought of and constantly assessed so that we can move towards sustained success.

I thought Dimma on the couch was brilliant, he showed great strength of character a steadfast resolve which is ultimately what is needed to withstand the barrages from supporters and the media, he is focused on making Richmond a successful team and that is clear and it was almost like reading from a BF script at some stages, we always call into question his game day coaching ability, the use of our players, team selection and his ability to motivate players to perform at the best of there ability, we seem to think by watching game on tv or on the boundary line that we are much more informed to say what should be happening and make the big decisions, positions, who should and shouldn't be playing, strategies just about every facet of the game (me included), i always ask myself what makes my opinion more valid? Who am i to say what should and shouldn't be happening, who am i to say that some of the other posters on here are wrong, i don't know if Damien Hardwick is the coach to take us to a premiership, what i can see is Peggy's words ringing true and removing the emotion from the decision making process can make things clearer, we have a path, we have direction, important decisions are being made and the decision as to weather DH will be our premiership coach or not will be made at the right time, i am sure of it.

A poster on here directed a comment towards me some time ago that i rely on faith, well i do think a little faith is needed.

Of course this is my opinion and who am i to say i am right and you are wrong? What i do know is now that i am unemployed i have far to much time on my hands. :p
Was that me who told you that you are relying on faith ?
If you're unemployed by Sunday just turn up to the game 1hr early as DH loves a battler and he will give you a game?:D

I have formed the opinion that i firmly believe that dimma will coach us to the end of his contract pending complete capitulation.
A number of reasons why..
The club knows we can not win the flag with the current list. They knew that last year. They looked at the FA pool compared to the depth of the draft and also looked at the FA pool for this year and decided the draft was the way to go. They drafted accordingly and from what i see CEllis Drummond Menadue and co....will be ripe when our Premiership window opens in 2 years. So they were prepared this year to stagnate to claim these guys hopefully get some games into them and ready them for a tilt.
I believe this year we will have a massive crack at a couple of FAs this year to fill the holes that are being identified

my reasoning is. Last years draft is apparently much stronger then this years.
This years FA pool is much stronger then last years pool.

As i say i reckon the board will have a win figure in mind baring in mind that they want to see development in the draftees from past couple of years. I think they will be prepared to provide him with some serious cattle both inside the white line and in the box.

This isnt me being on my Hardwick soap box as i have stated before that i support the club and its decisions and those who make them and i dont believe the coach should be hung drawn and quartered like he did on these forums after 4-5 rounds.
This is just my opinion.

Oh so you're the reason footy isn't fun. Its a game. A game. A game. Just remember that.
Who the hell wants everyone to be serious all the time? Ifs so much more entertaining when everyone involved in footy can joke around because it means they are enjoying what they are doing. if you want serious 100% of the time, you should stop watching sport.
But hey whatever, if you would rather him do interviews like Malthouse post games with no smile, serious answers only, and making it awkward for everyone involved thats your choice. But its not going to happen. You might as well stop watching any interviews.
Serious All the time has become 35 years
The joke needs to be over before the fun can begin
If we play with the flamboyant game style when DH first started I could find fun and life in footy, but since the EF 2013 I made a pact with the rfc that I would never accept mediocrity from them .
So what did they dish up in 2014 and early 2015 the most boring unattractive crab style afl football I've ever witnessed.
People on here have different standards and tolerance levels
Me my standards are now for no more mediocrity and spin coupled up with low tolerance of spin and mediocrity

I have formed the opinion that i firmly believe that dimma will coach us to the end of his contract pending complete capitulation.
A number of reasons why..
The club knows we can not win the flag with the current list. They knew that last year. They looked at the FA pool compared to the depth of the draft and also looked at the FA pool for this year and decided the draft was the way to go. They drafted accordingly and from what i see CEllis Drummond Menadue and co....will be ripe when our Premiership window opens in 2 years. So they were prepared this year to stagnate to claim these guys hopefully get some games into them and ready them for a tilt.
I believe this year we will have a massive crack at a couple of FAs this year to fill the holes that are being identified to fill.

my reasoning is. Last years draft is apparently much stronger then this years. This years FA pool is much stronger then last years pool.

As i say i reckon the board will have a win figure in mind baring in mind that they want to see development in the draftees from past couple of years. I think they will be prepared to provide him with some serious cattle both inside the white line and in the box.

This isnt me being on my Hardwick soap box as i have stated before that i support the club and its decisions and those who make them and i dont believe the coach should be hung drawn and quartered like he did on these forums after 4-5 rounds.
This is just my opinion.
Well reasoned opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back