Do we dare dream

Remove this Banner Ad

Read somewhere that if all goes well (i.e. we win one of our last two & win a home QF) the Eagles have the chance to reach the Grand Final having travelled just once in 63 days. :thumbsu: :cool:
Injuries aside, it's fair to say quite a few things have gone our way this season

Read somewhere that if all goes well (i.e. we win one of our last two & win a home QF) the Eagles have the chance to reach the Grand Final having travelled just once in 63 days. :thumbsu: :cool:
http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...-once-in-60-days/story-fniv6fhh-1227494557064

WEST Coast can qualify for this year’s Grand Final having travelled only once in the previous nine weeks, as long as it secures a top-two finish.

The extraordinary scenario means the Eagles could fly to Melbourne for the Grand Final on Thursday, October 1 — two days before the game — having travelled just once in the previous 60 days. The unprecedented luxury for a non-Victorian club is on offer due to a fixture quirk which has West Coast playing four of its last five regular season games in Perth.

As well as clinching second, the Eagles would then need to win home qualifying and preliminary finals at Subiaco Oval to advance to their first Grand Final in nine years.

The trip to Melbourne would then be the team’s first flight for five weeks, and just the second trip in the previous two months.

The same dream scenario would also apply if West Coast slips to fourth and beats Fremantle in a derby qualifying final in the opening week of the finals.

The Eagles played their third consecutive match at Subiaco Oval in the weekend’s win over the Western Bulldogs.

They have not flown since the Round 18 trip to the Gold Coast, when they drew with the Suns.

The Eagles have the comfort of finishing the regular season with so many home games because last Sunday’s Western Derby was an away fixture and because they played two consecutive away games in Round 12 and Round 14, split by a bye in Round 13.

That one?

That's it!

"What's it do for Adam Simpson?"
"In a curious way, it buys him time to develop the rest of the team. No one in their right mind can believe that without Mackenzie and Kennedy he could grow this team into anything this year."
"Not this year. No way known. No. If he gets the team into a finals position, it would be a terrific coaching performance. Centre half back, full forward gone. No way."

That's it!

"In a curious way, it buys him time to develop the rest of the team. No one in their right mind can believe that without Mackenzie and Kennedy he could grow this team into anything this year."
"Not this year. No way known. No. If he gets the team into a finals position, it would be a terrific coaching performance. Centre half back, full forward gone. No way."

Well, we certainly put paid to that.

That's it!

Well, we certainly put paid to that.

OOPPPPPPssss ... double posting - please delete, mods!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we'll lose to Hawks in the GF. Could be like 91 or 2005 where we get done and win it the next year.

2005 lose to Sydney
2006 beat Sydney

10 years after the first meeting, could it be again......:eek:

Anyhow loss to the Hawkers is what I've been feeling for yonks. Gotta beat them in week 1 and again that 1991 feel where they came to Subi and beat us when we topped the ladder. Got pantsed in the granny. Played them again the next year first up and knocked them off going on to win our first flag.

If we lose week 1 of the finals, I think Freo will knock us off in week 3. I think we could do it next year, this one coming a year too early.

I think we'll lose to Hawks in the GF. Could be like 91 or 2005 where we get done and win it the next year.

2005 lose to Sydney
2006 beat Sydney

10 years after the first meeting, could it be again......:eek:

Anyhow loss to the Hawkers is what I've been feeling for yonks. Gotta beat them in week 1 and again that 1991 feel where they came to Subi and beat us when we topped the ladder. Got pantsed in the granny. Played them again the next year first up and knocked them off going on to win our first flag.

If we lose week 1 of the finals, I think Freo will knock us off in week 3. I think we could do it next year, this one coming a year too early.
Agree but it will be unfortunate that we will get a tougher draw next year. Mackenzie back in will help lots and hopefully Duggan can have a strong preseason because he's destined for big things.

We have been pretty lucky with our midfield's fitness this year though, so hopefully we can make a big push in 2016 with that same luxury.

I hate this "maybe next year" attitude

STRIKE (STRIJK?) WHILE THE IRON IS HOT!

Fully agree. Port have shown what can happen, as we did in 2013. People around the club who have played in GF's, which there are a few, need to be telling the players that this may be their one and only chance, and to go all out to win it this year. Nothing is certain, we may not finish top 2 for another 10 years, like it has been since our last time.

Hawks losing uncharacteristic games
Sydney playing horrible footy after the bye
Port not making finals
Freo playing amazing footy but now they seem a bit out of form
Richmond and North not making the jump to the next level yet

There will never be a better opportunity to try and win the flag.
No way in hell we should be finishing top 2. But somehow we probably will.
Losing 5 or 6 games usually gives you 3rd or 4th but we might sneak into 2nd or even 1st!
I hope Simmo is really drumming into the guys that this is an amazing opportunity!

It's not attitude it's being realistic. Yes we can win it, as we've displayed we're more than worthy. I just feel the Hawks having played in the last 3 grand finals come finals time will lift an extra cog and make it 4 straight, and a 3rd straight win. Hodge and co will be gunning for blood.

The heart and core of the Hawks - Mitchell, Hodge, Burgoyne, Gibson, Lewis { to a lesser extent } are running on borrowed time so perhaps one, golden last chance to salute and 3 peat will have the Hawkers playing with that knowledge and fighting for their football lives. Experience, talent and cool heads are a dangerous remedy.

Mcginnity should have nailed that goal vs the hawks that would have put us 23 points up and hard to stop from there. That would have been a huge scalp and given us even more great self belief. Considering our ruckmen were out we did very well and you'd think we could win it had they been in. Even then, to do it in the finals is a different matter altogether.

Of course one has to grasp opportunities that present itself. I just do not see us beating Hawthorn at the MCG come grand final day. Not that we are not capable, I just do not see us winning the premiership this year.

Hawks losing uncharacteristic games
Sydney playing horrible footy after the bye
Port not making finals
Freo playing amazing footy but now they seem a bit out of form
Richmond and North not making the jump to the next level yet

There will never be a better opportunity to try and win the flag.
No way in hell we should be finishing top 2. But somehow we probably will.
Losing 5 or 6 games usually gives you 3rd or 4th but we might sneak into 2nd or even 1st!
I hope Simmo is really drumming into the guys that this is an amazing opportunity!
You think he wouldn't be doing that? You think the guys themselves even have to be told that?

common man

It's not attitude it's being realistic. Yes we can win it, as we've displayed we're more than worthy. I just feel the Hawks having played in the last 3 grand finals come finals time will lift an extra cog and make it 4 straight, and a 3rd straight win. Hodge and co will be gunning for blood.

The heart and core of the Hawks - Mitchell, Hodge, Burgoyne, Gibson, Lewis { to a lesser extent } are running on borrowed time so perhaps one, golden last chance to salute and 3 peat will have the Hawkers playing with that knowledge and fighting for their football lives. Experience, talent and cool heads are a dangerous remedy.

Mcginnity should have nailed that goal vs the hawks that would have put us 23 points up and hard to stop from there. That would have been a huge scalp and given us even more great self belief. Considering our ruckmen were out we did very well and you'd think we could win it had they been in. Even then, to do it in the finals is a different matter altogether.

Of course one has to grasp opportunities that present itself. I just do not see us beating Hawthorn at the MCG come grand final day. Not that we are not capable, I just do not see us winning the premiership this year.
Eagles and Dockers have to work together to get rid of Hawthorn imo. We somehow beat them in a QF and freo can finish them off in a PF. Ironically I think we can only win the flag if we play Freo in the GF. I reckon freo would be feeling the same with us.

Eagles and Dockers have to work together to get rid of Hawthorn imo. We somehow beat them in a QF and freo can finish them off in a PF. Ironically I think we can only win the flag if we play Freo in the GF. I reckon freo would be feeling the same with us.
Agreed mate.

I will have a 1 month old come the GF. I'm going to have to take this one as it comes and hope I can get a leave pass.
If we make it, you gotta go mate. Win or lose, gotta see the boys in the big dance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back