Multiplat Don Bradman Cricket 14

Remove this Banner Ad

Ive ended up deleting the patch to wait for patch 2 cos I think the negatives pretty much outweigh the benefits. Although they were bad before, the AI field placements with patch are shocking and is really screwing up the gameplay. I hit 9 sixes in a row behind square in a T10 match when the AI left it completely open, yet had 5 slips in place. Couple of overs later and they had 4 men behind square and no one in front of the wicket.

Sure the patch has made career mode easier, but I'm bored senseless playing that cos the bowling is so easy, and watching your AI batting partner spud it up from the other end is head wrecking. Outside of this, all the patch has given is labels above the fielder and less direct hits by the AI - the latter is pretty much just cosmetic.

Online is still terribly glitchy.

Are there any rumours of a PS4 version?

Nearly bought this today. Will definitely get it at some point but I am wary of getting burned buying a game on PS3 before a "deluxe" version gets released on PS4.

Happened to me with both Tomb Raider and The Last of Us :(

Are there any rumours of a PS4 version?

Nearly bought this today. Will definitely get it at some point but I am wary of getting burned buying a game on PS3 before a "deluxe" version gets released on PS4.

Happened to me with both Tomb Raider and The Last of Us :(
I get the feeling it will be. They aren't saying no, but they aren't saying yes either. They will get money from me if it's on PS4, won't otherwise. Hopefully that guaranteed mooney from me helps them make up their mind. :p

I get the feeling it will be. They aren't saying no, but they aren't saying yes either. They will get money from me if it's on PS4, won't otherwise. Hopefully that guaranteed mooney from me helps them make up their mind. :p

Hmmm... might just keep waiting then.

Worse case scenario I'll get it on a PS3 at a cheaper price, I suppose.

I'm pretty sure they 100% said yes to a PS4 version. It's not certain what the game will be though. Will it be like the PC version, and just the current version + bug fixes + minor graphical enhancements?

Or, will they wait until perhaps the Australian cricket season starts and add some new features, which may possibly make it to the current gen versions too.

The running stuff is funny (and annoying, at times, but if you sprint and don't overuse the dive it's okay) but the stumping wickets are ridiculously off. It seems that if the wicket keeper goes for a stumping twice, they'll always go up for it and it'll always be out, regardless of whether the batsman's leg is a metre in or on the line. It's fine when you're bowling but I was not happy when it happened to me a couple of times while batting.

Apart from that I'm liking the game more since the patch, batting is still really rewarding but feels a lot less cheap now. I've been forfeiting Shield games for the first couple of seasons so I can break into the ODI/T20 sides first, because that feels right for a 16-18 year old :p

I had a question too, with the 'personality' or whatever it's called that each player has, is there a way to change that? I'm always an opportunist but I'm not sure if that fits with my batting style at all. It's probably obvious one way or the other and I've missed it, but I'd be keen to know before I make a straight up batsman.

I have downloaded and installed patch, started a new career but nothings changed, no positions above fielder's heads, wtf????

You sure you downloaded it correctly? You have to press the left trigger when batting to survey the field and thats when you should see them. Also, you wont have Peter Forest opening the bowling.

Also, look out for the other 'fixes', like the screwed up AI field settings. If you see 3-4 fielders behind square or a packed slips cordon in a T20 then youve done it right....

I really dont know why they didnt test these things before releasing the patch - even if it meant working on it for a week or so longer. The AI field setting in particular have screwed the game up a lot. Its way too easy to take advantage of the AI and get huge scores cos there are so many gaps in the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The running stuff is funny (and annoying, at times, but if you sprint and don't overuse the dive it's okay) but the stumping wickets are ridiculously off. It seems that if the wicket keeper goes for a stumping twice, they'll always go up for it and it'll always be out, regardless of whether the batsman's leg is a metre in or on the line. It's fine when you're bowling but I was not happy when it happened to me a couple of times while batting.

I've been stumped a few times, always while pressing the run cancel button after missing a shot. Your batsman briefly lifts his foot to move it back and that's when you get stumped. I've stopped pressing that button when batting to spinners and had no issues.

I had a question too, with the 'personality' or whatever it's called that each player has, is there a way to change that? I'm always an opportunist but I'm not sure if that fits with my batting style at all. It's probably obvious one way or the other and I've missed it, but I'd be keen to know before I make a straight up batsman.

I'm pretty sure everything is locked once you've started. It would be nice to be able to change kit and hair style/facial hair etc once the career had started but it's not the end of the world.

Also, look out for the other 'fixes', like the screwed up AI field settings. If you see 3-4 fielders behind square or a packed slips cordon in a T20 then youve done it right....

I really dont know why they didnt test these things before releasing the patch - even if it meant working on it for a week or so longer. The AI field setting in particular have screwed the game up a lot. Its way too easy to take advantage of the AI and get huge scores cos there are so many gaps in the field.
AI field settings were not changed in the patch.

It's been stated numerous times, but patch 1 was to fix a couple of major things immediately and add in a few things that had already been fixed post-submission that were though-roughly tested. Patch 1 wasn't a planned patch. Patch 2 is and will include a significant list of fixes and a few new additions too.

What's the deal with the Batting and Bowling Pool in career mode? How is your end cut of the pool calculated?

Your runs scored in the match divided by the total runs scored in the match times 1000.

So if it's a T20, you score 100, your team scores 200, the other team scores 100, there have been 300 runs scored and you've scored 100 of them, so you'd get 333 batting pool points.

Your runs scored in the match divided by the total runs scored in the match times 1000.

So if it's a T20, you score 100, your team scores 200, the other team scores 100, there have been 300 runs scored and you've scored 100 of them, so you'd get 333 batting pool points.
Ah right. Thought it was something like that, was trying to figure it out but was only considering my team's runs.

I've been stumped a few times, always while pressing the run cancel button after missing a shot. Your batsman briefly lifts his foot to move it back and that's when you get stumped. I've stopped pressing that button when batting to spinners and had no issues.

I'm pretty sure everything is locked once you've started. It would be nice to be able to change kit and hair style/facial hair etc once the career had started but it's not the end of the world.

Cheers for both! I do always hit the run cancel button so I'll try to stop doing that.

As for the personalities, is there an option to select one when you make a career? I just want to give 'brute' a try as it'd probably fit my block and boundary style of batting.

Cheers for both! I do always hit the run cancel button so I'll try to stop doing that.

As for the personalities, is there an option to select one when you make a career? I just want to give 'brute' a try as it'd probably fit my block and boundary style of batting.

You can edit the personality of individual players in the academy, but Im pretty sure you cant choose at the start of your own career. I think it might be random. I started a new career as a batsman, and noticed he was set as a Brute. It is definitely a lot easier to score runs with this personaility. I thought it was the new patch making batting easier.

AI field settings were not changed in the patch.

It's been stated numerous times, but patch 1 was to fix a couple of major things immediately and add in a few things that had already been fixed post-submission that were though-roughly tested. Patch 1 wasn't a planned patch. Patch 2 is and will include a significant list of fixes and a few new additions too.

Definitely seems like the AI are setting stranger fields with the new patch. Particularly in the shorter formats. Maybe something caused things o go out of wack. They go to the extremes of stacking fielders behind square on the onside illegally or leaving no one there at all. Then they will stack the slips cordon and leave no one in front of the wicket between gully all the way around to deep mid-on.

I deleted the patch and played withtout it - the fields seem better without it, albeit not being able to see the fielders.

Is there going to be any patch notes so we know what exactly has changed with the patch?

I'm pretty sure you do select your personality at the start. I tend to go with opportunist. I don't think you can change it mid career though.

Definitely seems like the AI are setting stranger fields with the new patch. Particularly in the shorter formats. Maybe something caused things o go out of wack. They go to the extremes of stacking fielders behind square on the onside illegally or leaving no one there at all. Then they will stack the slips cordon and leave no one in front of the wicket between gully all the way around to deep mid-on.

I deleted the patch and played withtout it - the fields seem better without it, albeit not being able to see the fielders.

Is there going to be any patch notes so we know what exactly has changed with the patch?

The only fault in the fielding is allowing more than 2 players behind square on the leg side.

If you are hitting every shot to one part of the ground, it's hardly unusual for an opposing captain to stack that area.

I've fielded at cover in real life before as one of only two people on the off side, with the other guy at gully, much for the same reason that it would happen in this game. Because the guy batting couldn't hit the off side to save his life. The fielding position AI definitely isn't perfect, but it will force you to work the ball around. If you've gotten a ton or close to it in a first class game (with no fielding restrictions), you've probably had to deal with a ring field where you can only really push singles.

The only fault in the fielding is allowing more than 2 players behind square on the leg side.

If you are hitting every shot to one part of the ground, it's hardly unusual for an opposing captain to stack that area.

I've fielded at cover in real life before as one of only two people on the off side, with the other guy at gully, much for the same reason that it would happen in this game. Because the guy batting couldn't hit the off side to save his life. The fielding position AI definitely isn't perfect, but it will force you to work the ball around. If you've gotten a ton or close to it in a first class game (with no fielding restrictions), you've probably had to deal with a ring field where you can only really push singles.

The only fault with fielding? Surely not srs..

Ive played a lot of cricket over my time too, but smashing 8 sixes in a row over a vacant fine leg, and then doing the same when the AI eventually changes the field to have four men on the boundary behind square and the rest in slips, letting me score 290+ in 20 overs on veteren difficulty sounds pretty faulty to me. Hardly 'working the ball around'. The AI does seem to respond to an extent from where you hit your last few shots, which is good, but it has regular moments where it goes loco and sets these strange fields allowing you to exploit them. Its almost game breaking.

Might be different in career - this is competition and casual mode.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back