Dress Code in Adelaide Oval Members

Discussion in 'Cricket' started by raikkonen, Nov 28, 2006.

Put it out there
  1. raikkonen

raikkonen All Australian

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Liverpool, Redbacks, CDFC
    Been in force for 3-4 years now, and just wondering what people think of it? Must have collared shirts, must have closed shoes or leather slip ons/sandals (surprised my adidas slip ons are allowed), no board shorts, no sports shorts, no tank tops, no sombreros. Women are not allowed to have a lot of 'midriff' showing, bkikini tops not allowed, and generally same sort of gig as the blokes.

I think it is pathetic. Its the cricket FFS, and the SACA and all the old farts in the members should appreciate that going to the cricket is meant to be about having a good time. Going through my wardrobe having to think about what the f****ng dress code staff/security/etc will let me wear is not the ideal start to the day.

If they dont want young people in the members well, I wont go in there then. Il take up room on the Hill, which is meant for GA. I probaly wont even be able to wear my Aussie flag around my neck.

I am calling for an abandonment by BF Adelaide Oval members of the enclosure during the test!!! We should be able to wear what we want.

The atmosphere is also non-existent in the members enclosure, the old farts dont do the mexican wave, sit there pretending to know about the game, when they know nothing, and they will only clap and cheer etc when a milestone (50, etc) occurs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. bombersno1

bombersno1 Premiership Player

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Sydney Swans
    Fair enough. I am member at the SCG and we have the same regulations. It is fair enough. Don't like it, simple, ship out.
  3. Andrew Mc

Andrew Mc Club Legend

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Werribee Tigers
    It's pretty much the same the world over - get over it.
  4. King Elvis

King Elvis Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    I'm going as a Member.

My plan is to wear a collared shirt anyway, use the Members stand to get out of the sun and drink full strength booze, then head over to the Hill to be rowdy.
  5. Freo Big Fella

Freo Big Fella Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    WA, Australia
    Pretty much dead on with the WACA as well.

Don't like the dress code? Fine. I'm sure someone else will be happy to drink decent grog and enjoy better seats in your place.
  6. RoosterLad

RoosterLad Norm Smith Medallist

Sydney
    Other teams:
    NAFC
    It is absolute crap and is why i only ever go GA.
  7. HBF

HBF #Juddy2015

Carlton
    Other teams:
    MVFC LFC MVG
    Seriously raikkonen, what did you expect?
    Surely you can put on some decent threads for one day?
  8. Heisenberg_

Heisenberg_ Moderator

Richmond
    Other teams:
    South Australia finnaly joining the rest of us in the civilised world?:p
    Just sit in GA, guaranteed to have a better day
  9. usalion

usalion Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    Phils, Eagles, Flyers, Sunderland
    Yup- same standard at the QCC- lengthy list of dos and don'ts. Good part about the members' area is having great discussions on the cricket, along with the full strength grog and decent food- not the crappy overpriced concession food.

My one peeve at the QCC was no glasses for your beer on the terrace- they had a point, of course, as you would get a lot of breakage, but I don't like my beer in a plastic cup. Glass OK inside, though.

Also get a chance to meet and talk with the older players- and current ones- Bill brown was a regular visitor in the club, along with some of the other greats- and a number of the QLD players would stop in for a beer as well. Just read an article about Freddie being in the QCC after the loss on Monday.

As folks have said- if you don't like it, go to GA
  10. fryingpan

fryingpan Account Cancelled by User

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Team van Berlo, Sturt
    I'll be going into Members with ICDM. Dress code sucks major arse sweat but I can see where they are coming from.

All those idiots that are going to call me stupid and anti-social because I don't go and mix with the 'real' fans on the hill - enjoy your midstrength beer while I enjoy my full strength beverage :)
  11. Heisenberg_

Heisenberg_ Moderator

Richmond
    Other teams:
    have fun with all the elderly chaps in the members:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. raikkonen

raikkonen All Australian

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    FFS it is cricket, not a black tie event. Thing is I have clothes that i would deem acceptable as 'dress shorts' but they class them as 'board shorts' which is absolute tripe. As far as I am concerned the SACA can get f***ed. At least I dont have to pay for my membership though, they give it to me.

If they werent so picky I wouldnt mind, but they are very very picky, which is what I dont like.

All old farts in the members anyway, probably have a heart attack if they saw some hot chick in a bikini walk past :rolleyes: . Every young person 21 or younger gets dirty looks from the old people in there anyway, as if we dont belong.

I agree with coughlan, get out in the outer with the real fans, and where you can dress in clothes that you normally dress in.
  13. fryingpan

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Team van Berlo, Sturt
    Actually I'll be out the back at the beer tents with a few mates chucking down some full strength beer. We'll most likely go for a trundle at one stage or another but Members = normal, full strength alcohol :thumbsu:
  14. fryingpan

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Team van Berlo, Sturt
    The old bugggers in the Members are without a doubt assholes but what can ya do? It's not going to change any time soon. I have no problem with the dress code myself. Sure, you can't wear boardies and a singlet but there's plently of time for that! If you want to wear boardies and whatnot then go in the outer, but the dress code for members definetly is not THAT strict.
  15. Cameron_K

Cameron_K Team Captain

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Rockets, Astros, Texans
    Why are people complaining about this, it has been the same for years and will not change. It is the same in Perth, I'm just happy you no longer have to wear knee high socks to get into the bar ;)
  16. raikkonen

raikkonen All Australian

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    But I dont wear boardies, I wear dress shorts but they class them as boardies. I have the same trouble every year. And I dont wear singlets, dont mind wearing a collared shirt, just sick of the sh1t they give me at the gates ever year, and at state games. I have a good mind to wear my old school sleveless crows guernsey (has a collar) and see what they can do about it. Has a collar, what can they do? ;)
  17. fryingpan

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Team van Berlo, Sturt
    Wait a minute... will I be able to wear my Aussie flag like a cape in the members? :confused: :eek: :eek:
  18. raikkonen

raikkonen All Australian

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    I will be. The theme of the summer is the whole green and gold support Australia thingy. If you cant wear your national flag that is a disgrace.
  19. red+black

red+black Norm Smith Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Liverpool, Melbourne Storm
    I agree
  20. fryingpan

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Team van Berlo, Sturt
    Mine's huge, I think it just about drags along the ground when it's around my neck.

I'll be wearing it, they'd better let me in the sons of bitches.
  21. bombersno1

bombersno1 Premiership Player

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Sydney Swans
    Build a bridge mate. Regulations are there for a reason. The members is meant to be the more professional area of the ground and if you don't like it don't go and someone else will happily take your seat. I like to wear boardies/dress shorts too, but I know I can't, but I don't make a big song and a dance about it! So take my advice and be quiet!
  22. jo172

jo172 Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    San Antonio, Redbacks
    I like it:thumbsu:

My only real Gripe

I'm 17 and me and my mates have no problem with it ...

You can wear what you want, you just can't wear it in the members

The Australian flag has green and gold in it?:confused:

Dude, if you don't even pay for your membership you have little right to complain on the conditions prefferred by paying members.
  23. Andrew Mc

Andrew Mc Club Legend

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Werribee Tigers
    I think you should stop thinking only about yourself. For some people, perhaps dressing respectibly is a part of going to the cricket, particularly the older generation. No, it isn't black-tie (far from it), but did you ever stop to consider that this is the way they've traditionally gone to the cricket and they don't want to associate with a bunch of unkempts that they think belong on the hill? You have the choice of wearing whatever you like in the GA parts of the ground, perhaps they want the choice of wanting to keep their traditions going too. For myself, I've sat in both parts of the ground (not in Adelaide, but the SCG and MCG), and enjoy both for what they are.
  24. fryingpan

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Team van Berlo, Sturt
    Good point James :thumbsu:
  25. CrazyQ

CrazyQ Club Legend

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Members?

Haha.