DT Defenders 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is the price point of 200K so tempting and yet filled with danger.

Buckley
Waters
Jones
Myers

and then down to the perenial temptation

Jesse Smith :D
Because with a bit of luck and no injuries they could all possibly become keepers!!

It seems that year in, year out, the backline gets smashed with injuries.

So I try to load my backline with guns, still to continually be decimated.

Only to find at the end of the year, that the back line (once again) had an awesome amount of value hidden in it (particularly the low-priced guys who stepped up to a 70-80 average but *actually* played all 22.) Worth it's weight in gold if you can find that kind of value!

But by that same note, kinda rules out Waters and Smith... :)

Buckley however, with a full pre-season looks delicious.

Myers, if he can get a regular game will be a decent pickup playing the insider mid role with Watson.

Bones - Why did he he fall away so badly in the games he played this year? And why wouldn't he repeat that next year?

That said though, Duffield was probably one of, if not the best defender you could have started this year with. So the question needs to be asked- why was he missed by so many people? Sure, the 7,6,11 games over the past three years didn't offer a lot of promise... but he was a ig miss from a lot of teams. I'm wondering how that happened with all the names that get thrown around here.

That said though, Duffield was probably one of, if not the best defender you could have started this year with. So the question needs to be asked- why was he missed by so many people? Sure, the 7,6,11 games over the past three years didn't offer a lot of promise... but he was a ig miss from a lot of teams. I'm wondering how that happened with all the names that get thrown around here.

I was definitely considering him pre-season, ended up chickening out, and felt vindicated after he got dropped early. Probably a good thing I didn't buy him, I probably would've traded prematurely anyway.

Everyone knew Mundy was moving into the midfield this year, the smart people worked out who would then take that rebounding defender role.

Im not sure Buckley is best 22 material anymore. Melbourne' backline is stacked with young talent, I dont see where he fits in.

I dont really like the look of anyone on that list to be honest.
Myers will be on my radar come PS, but he might find it hard to break into the 22. He hasnt exactly set the world on fire this year.

Everyone knew Mundy was moving into the midfield this year, the smart people worked out who would then take that rebounding defender role.

Im not sure Buckley is best 22 material anymore. Melbourne' backline is stacked with young talent, I dont see where he fits in.

I dont really like the look of anyone on that list to be honest.
Myers will be on my radar come PS, but he might find it hard to break into the 22. He hasnt exactly set the world on fire this year.
You're right, no place for Buckley in Melbourne's defence, but that doesn't really effect his chances of selection.

Buckley's weakness is accountability, his strength is breaking the lines with run and carry. If we need pace in the midfield (which we probably do) then there will be a spot for him, as long as he shows commitment and works hard pre-season. Much too early to call but I do think he has the opportunity to secure a spot next season. Whether he does is up to him.

Buckley was my boy this pre-season. Needless to say I traded him to Hargrave after round 1 and Ryan assumed the role :p

As funny as it sounds (maybe it is just me) but it could be hard to break into the Melbourne 22. If you add Scully and Trengove (assuming #1 and #2) to the squad, do they get 22 games?

Do people agree with m0nty's prediction that Goddard will become only a midfielder?

I think I'll take a few more risks with the backline next year. ATM it's looking like this - Gram, Symes, Harbrow, Petterd, Waters, ???, ???. Other names that I'm looking at are Ladson and S Selwood.

Petterd - Breakout season looms and he finished off the year quite well before his Rd21 injury (which I hope isn't OP). Rd15 to Rd20 he had scores of 104, 75, 83, 122, 84 & 69.

Symes - Already a decent average + still reasonably young. Just a question on whether he can stay healthy? If he's right to go for Rd1 then he's a lock for me!

Harbrow - Missed his breakout year, but still reckon he can improve. Like Petterd he also finished off the year well. Maybe he's a chance for more midfield time?

Waters - High draft pick and is priced very nicely. If fit I'm sure he will be a popular choice.

If I can get 2 of these players to average over 80 then I'm happy.

Petterd, Symes and Waters all far too injury prone. If Harbrow remains in that quarterback role then will no doubt receive more attention next year. If you could get two of those players to play 22 games then you should be happy. :)

Suban hasn't been mentioned. I dont normally look at second year players, but should get 22 games, looked to improve towards the end of the year. averaged 67 in his last 7. Another full pre season hopefully improve to a 75-80ish.

Petterd, Symes and Waters all far too injury prone. If Harbrow remains in that quarterback role then will no doubt receive more attention next year. If you could get two of those players to play 22 games then you should be happy. :)

Haha yep, fair point. But like I said I'm looking at taking more risks next year. Got boring versing basically the same team as mine each week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems that year in, year out, the backline gets smashed with injuries.

So I try to load my backline with guns, still to continually be decimated.

Only to find at the end of the year, that the back line (once again) had an awesome amount of value hidden in it (particularly the low-priced guys who stepped up to a 70-80 average but *actually* played all 22.) Worth it's weight in gold if you can find that kind of value!

But by that same note, kinda rules out Waters and Smith... :)

Buckley however, with a full pre-season looks delicious.

Myers, if he can get a regular game will be a decent pickup playing the insider mid role with Watson.

Bones - Why did he he fall away so badly in the games he played this year? And why wouldn't he repeat that next year?

Has Myers bulked up at all this year? Was pretty slight last time I saw him, he'll surely need to bulk up a bit if he's going to play in the midfield right?

Brett Jones seems to have struggled a bit since his injury early in the season. Guys like Eric MacKenzie, Spangher, Mitch Brown and Will Schofield have all put in some good performances and the competition for the tall defender spots is limited. We'll also have the Selwoods, Hurn, Waters, and young Ash smith & Jordan Jones competing for the small defender spots.

Bones' strength is that he is fairly versatile (can play tall or small), but seems like he will be fringe 22. Most supporters on the WC board don't have him in the best 25 for Rd 1 2010.

Harbrow
Hurley
Buckley - if realy cheap
Myers - same as Buckley

My 2 i like alot are injury prone players but i reckon would be keepers if they play 19 or more games

Grimes and X man

from Chris Fagan's list assessment on afl.com.au:

Rick Ladson
His season never got going. He had some knee surgery in January which held him back. He played after the mid-season break, but only managed three games before his other knee got sore. He’s had surgery on that, but he’s back up and running now. He’ll be in good shape to start the pre-season, which will be a nice change for him.

he'll be hard to resist at his price if he has a good pre-season.

gopower / Chad (or anyone else),

What's your thoughts on how the Power backline will be setup next year. Obviously Krak designated kicker but who is the backup if he is sat on, particularly if Sal goes back in the middle.

What's your thoughts on how the Power backline will be setup next year. Obviously Krak designated kicker but who is the backup if he is sat on, particularly if Sal goes back in the middle.

Think choco has finally decided to put Chornes in the backline, so Carlile,Chaplin and Chornes would be the 3 tall defenders. Surjan has cemented his spot as one of the small defenders. Which leaves Stewart and Pettigrew as small defenders.

I remember earlier this year Marlon Motlop was earmarked for the rebounding defender role (but broke down with injury i believe, not 100% on that). Danny Meyer is another that could potentially do the job.

Port have apparently offered Ladson a three year deal, so if they get him he would have a lot of the kicking duties. Has a very accurate kick on him.

I don't have massive amounts of figures to back up my thoughts, but Defenders are always a good place to get some value.

Keepers in the backline are normally the cheapest as a potential "keeper" average for a defender is someone that plays 20+ games and averages 80+ ppg.

The backline is also an area of the ground which is becoming a breading ground for potential midfielders. If it is possible to select a player that is going to get more midfield time or become the link man in defence, there can be some good value in this section of the ground.

Gilbert, Duffield, Hargrave, Gram, Doughty...

Duffield, Gram, Doughty seemed to play a heap more in the midfield and their DT scores increased.

Gilbert and Hargrave became the link men in defence, getting those mark/kick combinations.

The backline is a good chance to load up on cheap keepers, this should allow you to save trades. Normally rookies are hard to find in these positions, so I've also preferred to not start a rookie on the field. While it can sometimes work, I feel it is a risk I'm normally not willing to take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back