DT Midfielders 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From http://dreamteamtalk.com/2010/02/27/nab-challenge-bombers-vs-demons/

"Trengove was disappointing didn’t do much. Though he did take a nice backing into a pack mark and ran on for an effective kick. Probs about 12-15 touches."
"Scully poor and doubt he will play much early until he gets form."

Dont know if that helps CuriousObsession

Yeah, thanks for that, just checked it out.

I find that quite interesting considering the paper this morning had Trengove listed in the best players. He might have had a good game, but not a good DT game, or maybe the journalist didn't pay much attention to the match.

I dont know what some of you guys are talking about, Trengove was Melbourne's 2nd best on ground against Essendon.

Anyway, what do you guys think of Jobe Watson at 399k?

I swear every team has 25 players going to "play every game this year".

I think one of the most worthwhile exercises to help your DT, is to down and have a look at the Best 22s (go to the team boards) and the competition for spots (and depth) to get a feel for things, particularly in regards to rookies.

^^^
This.

Listen to Lakey gentleman.
Look at competition for spots, positions, injuries, and what the fanatics think.
Brisbane board know a hell of a lot more about their players and best 22 than the main board, same goes with Carlton, Melbourne, Richmond...all 16 clubs.

From http://dreamteamtalk.com/2010/02/27/nab-challenge-bombers-vs-demons/

"Trengove was disappointing didn’t do much. Though he did take a nice backing into a pack mark and ran on for an effective kick. Probs about 12-15 touches."
"Scully poor and doubt he will play much early until he gets form."

Dont know if that helps CuriousObsession

You're putting too much faith in someone that is guessing based on a Nab match. It's a mistake to look for these two to dominate from the outset. But each game they play against men is invaluable. You need to know what to look for in these early games and I like what I see.

Look, you're right to question whether they're ready, or whether their form warrants early promotion. However, anyone that has any remote clue about the Dees, has been to training and our intraclub match, was at the AGM and heard the coaches speak, has watched them live as juniors, knows that both will play the first 8-10 games this year. Melb need these young mids getting as many games together as possible, despite Bailey saying they'll need to earn their spots, monitor their workloads, etc. Did you really expect him to anoint them as certain starters for round 1 a month out ?

I also know that if (when) they play they'll be cash cows. They will adjust to AFL tempo very quickly imo. Scully never stops running and gets to a heap of contests. He's now seeing what he has to do at the higher levels.

Palmer and Rich both scored sub 50 points in their first 2 Nab matches, but went on to score well in the season proper.

I'll be having them, but appreciate why many others won't.

If Nab Cup form means anything, Goodesy will be playing in the Magoos.

Rookies need to impress and these 2 have struggled a touch to find the pace early but will both play plenty this year. That said, Bailey has also confirmed that it is a certainty that neither will play 22 and they will be managed carefully for the future.

Mortons injury will help secure a place early.

I still reckon he'll average 95+, to be honest i watch the NAB cup to see how youngsters go, not big guns.

As it happens, big guns rarely have a point to prove in the NAB cup; they're established, they know they've got their spot in the team down pat. That can't be said of the kids and rookies. The preseason games are definitely an audition - they want to get noticed and play their best. I also concentrate on the players who have to prove something to their coaches and themselves ie. Malceski and G. Rohan who both put in big efforts yesterday.

Honestly, what are the positives of doing that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll be fielding 5 or 6 rookies in my midfield.:eek:

That's going a little too extreme isnt it? Team Director started 4 rookies on the field with a Guns/Rookies strategy.

I think 2-3 rookies in the midfield will work this year given the number of rookie midfielders set to play lots of games. Just make sure that you dont start any rookies anywhere else if you want to pull this off.

I think Barlow and Martin could score just as well as the mid-priced options everyone is going for- Masten, Armitage etc.

I'll be fielding 5 or 6 rookies in my midfield.:eek:

Rookies, or rookie priced players?

As it sits I have 2 rookies in my 30. Have a few more rookie priced players though.

Big difference as shown by Otten last year. Rookies are now very carefully managed by coaches. You may want to do some research on how many actual rookies played the first 8 games last year. I'll give you a tip, the answer is < 5.

As it sits I have 2 rookies in my 30. Have a few more rookie priced players though.

Big difference as shown by Otten last year. Rookies are now very carefully managed by coaches. You may want to do some research on how many actual rookies played the first 8 games last year. I'll give you a tip, the answer is < 5.

A bit of a different situation this year though Dogs. The top end of the draft is composed mainly of midfielders rather than the skinny KPP we've had in previous years.

At a guess: Hill, Suban, Rich and Walker?

My current Mids
Swan, Bartel, Ball, Selwood, Martin, Barlow

Swan Bartel and selwood all are guns and should avg 110+ with the bonus that they are all super durable i think worth the extra cash paid for early, while ball is the cheaper one who shud become a premium at worst a 6th ctr, is this too overpriced or is this good with current rookies and guns the best options in the mids for me apart from maybe masten

Dogs, When you say you have 2 rookies, do you mean base rookie priced? Or first year players? (People have their own definitions.)

E.G would Trengove be considered a "rookie"

This year shows there is a lot of depth in rookie centres.

Barlow
Martin
Trengove
Scully
Banner
Bastinac
Shuey
there's a few more too...

I think the key is maximising as many cash cows in the midfield as you can. I currently have 3 first year players at the moment. I will do some further research to determine the chances of these young players playing the first 6+ games of the year. I think selecting the right ones will make or break your year. I don't think it's wise having any more than 3

However there is a risk. You might select 4 rookies starting on your field and they all play the first 5 games averaging around 60-70 putting you miles ahead of the competition.

On the flipside, 1 might get injured, 2 could be dropped round 2 leaving you with endless amounts of krispy kremes.

Selecting more rookies will pay off masively if they all play however your dt season may be over early if they don't

Im pretty sure we are not talking about actual rookie listed players, on this website 'rookie' just refers to a rookie priced player.

I think the key is maximising as many cash cows in the midfield as you can.

Yeah but the problem with this is that the midfield is the most lucrative position and if you have too many rookies there then you will be missing out on premium/midpricer points early in the season.

Personally I wouldnt want to have more than 2 mid spots taken up by rookies.

Yeah but the problem with this is that the midfield is the most lucrative position and if you have too many rookies there then you will be missing out on premium/midpricer points early in the season.

Personally I wouldnt want to have more than 2 mid spots taken up by rookies.
Just because the highest scorers are usually mids, this doesn't mean you can't make up for it in other positions..
If your score breakdown at the beginning of the season is for arguments sake something like 600/450/175/650 +125 (C) (which is reasonable to expect) you're still getting 2000.

And a slow start is not to worry because by the end of the season you will be leap frogging all dters who don't have a significant amount of cash cows in the midfield. Personally for me, I think that the mid-priced midfielders are overrated on big footy. I only have one and then I have 2 premiums and 3 rookies I guess you call them on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back