Dukes of Hurley's 2013 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Dukes Of Hurley

Team Captain
Sep 27, 2011
Melborune
AFL Club
Essendon
Hey guys, my name is Jourdan Canil and I'm the Chief of Staff at Bound For Glory News. I'm and avid draft watcher and you may notice I have some bias towards the TAC Cup, but that is purely because I've seen those guys far more. In this draft, I have written profiles for 92 national draftees, 8 psd picks and 36 rookie picks. I haven't included passes or rookie elevations. Check out my draft and the rest of the site at www.boundforglorynews.com

1. 1. GWS- Thomas Boyd (VIC - KPF)
Eastern Ranges
198 cm 100 kgs
Player Comparison: Taylor Walker
Boyd is simply exceptional. He takes the ball at the highest point and can still win an aerial contest even when he’s getting double and triple teamed. Boyd is a very accurate set shot, decent field kick and quick enough to beat defenders on the lead. He is fantastic below the knees for a player as big as he is. He is beatable though if closely marked and if his defender gets into his head.

2. GWS-
Josh Kelly (VIC - Mid)
Sandringham Dragons
181 cm 71kgs
Player Comparison: Andrew Gaff
Kelly is an elite endurance runner, which should see him adapt to AFL well, even with his light frame. He’s exclusively an outside player, but due to his ability to get to every contest, he can rack up the possessions. In the times I’ve seen Kelly play, he hasn’t impressed me enough to really deserve the number two position. His kicking is over hyped but he doesn’t miss too many targets. He is the ideal outside, classy player for GWS and I would be surprised if they passed on him, although he and Aish are interchangable. Should see him start out as that Andrew Gaff wing type player. His numbers at the combine were unbelievable – winning the 3km run in
9.32 minutes, breaking the record. He came ninth in the beep test with 15.1, fifth in the repeat sprints, 10th in the right leg vertical test and seventh in the left leg vertical test.

3. St.K -
Jack Billings (VIC – Fwd/Mid)
Oakleigh Chargers
182 cm 73kgs
Player Comparison: Dustin Martin
For me, Billings is under rated. He has that physicality in his tackling, breaking tackles and marking that you see in a seasoned AFL player like Dustin Martin or Adam Goodes. He is dual sided and my word he is silky on both feet. He can kick it more than 50 metres with precision like Jack Macrae. His marking is the real highlight of his game. He takes it at the highest point and clunks them even when he gets hacked. Prefer to see him play as a leading high half forward so he can set up the play as well as hit the scoreboard. Could consider Scharenberg here, but Billings can turn the game up forward.

4. WB - Matt Scharenberg (SA – Def/Mid)
Glenlg
189cm 88kgs
Player Comparison: Harry O’Brien
I don’t rate that athletic third tall as much as others do, but his talent is undeniable.. Scharenberg is the running half back who reads the play well and takes intercept marks. His drive from the half back is great and his disposal is pretty decent so he can set up the play. If he had a lethal kick then I think he’d be undoubtedly top five, but I feel others in Lennon and Salem could easily turn out to be better players. If he could develop into a genuine tall outside midfielder then he’d also be right up there. Dogs would be praying that Billings lasts till pick four.

5 - GC- Kade Kolodjashnij (TAS – Util)
Launceston
188cm 77kgs
Player Comparison: Courtenay Dempsey
Kolodjashnij is a talented playmaker off halfback and in the midfield
. The AIS member is quick and creative off the flank and can win his own ball when playing as a midfielder. He’s a excellent kick and a decent mark so he provides great link up. His decision making is in the top tier among this group. Others may rate him higher, but I think he’s not quite top 5 material yet. He tested well at the combine, he came second in the handball test with 23/30, ninth in the 3km run. Most importantly, he has the highest vertical leap and the highest right leg vertical leap. This is crucial as he can play on the athletic, but tall hybrid forwards, he just needs to learn how to defend in an accountable manner.

6. Coll - James Aish (SA - Mid)
Norwood- 183cm 72 kgs
Player Comparison: Jimmy Bartel
Aish mightn’t be the clear cut number two this year, but he is the most well rounded of the midfield group. He and Christian Salem are the two this year that have that Scott Pendlebury trait of seeming to make the opposition slow down around them so they have time and space to dispose of the ball cleanly. Aish is a fantastic user of the footy and can play both inside and out. Never mind his size; this year’s crop is full of smaller midfielders. Aish is classy with and without the ball. His ability to evade tackles is great for someone so light. His marking is pretty good, but it will probably get exposed at AFL level. Seems to have interviewed poorly and dropped out of favour. Had him to Saints at pick 3 for a while, so Ii wouldn’t be surprised if he goes that high.

7. BL- Ben Lennon (VIC – Mid/Fwd)
Northern Knights
187 cm 79kgs
Player Comparison: Ryan O’Keefe
The thing with Lennon is that he is great at everything and can play everywhere. Whilst that versatility is great, we are yet to see him settle down and truly dominate. Lennon for me, is best suited as the Ryan O’Keefe type- can play as a marking forward or an inside ball winner who can also kick well. I love Lennon’s kicking ability, even though it’s probably not in the upper echelon of this draft class. Lennon isn’t renowned for being at the bottom of a pack, but he can do it if needed. His size makes him a good link up marking target. He has some serious pace and is a great all rounder. Makes him one of the safer ‘best available’ options. Lennon was a joint winner of the handball test at the combine, with 24/30 hitting the target. The back end of his TAC Cup year was phenomenal, he showed he can rack up the ball, take huge contested marks and kick goals. Personally I believe he has the talent to be one of the absolute best from this draft.

8. North- Luke McDonald (VIC - UTIL – NM F/S)
Werribee Tigers
187 cm 77 kgs
Player Comparison: Shannon Hurn
Plenty has been said about McDonald’s kicking, and it’s true. He could nail a target from 60m away easily. McDonald is a great size, but unfortunately lacks that defensive talent at this point. Hopefully playing in the VFL should allow him to become more accountable in the back half especially against big bodied opponents. McDonald has incredible pace and should form a formidable half back duo with Shaun Atley. North fans have their playmaker. The question is whether he can break forward tags. Against NSW/ACT he had 24 touches but nothing that made him standout whatsoever. I haven’t been as impressed with him as others have, but nonetheless he’ll go to the Roos with their first pick.

9. Melb - Christian Salem (VIC - Mid)
Sandringham Dragons
182 cm 83 kgs
Player Comparison: Scott Pendlebury
Looks like a human wrecking ball but is far from it. Whilst Salem can win the inside ball with his tenacity and strength, but the real highlight of his game is his rare ability to find time and space when it shouldn’t be there. In his first TAC Cup game this season, Salem dominated the first half to the point where I literally couldn’t take notes on any other player because he was the only one catching my eye. In heavy traffic, he manages to evade a tackle and spot up a player perfectly, even with immense pressure around him. Salem can hit the scoreboard too, although his game isn’t suited to the forward line. His outside skills are fantastic and he is a fantastic tackler. To be quite honest, I think he is a better player than Josh Kelly, but Kelly is a superior athlete. Against New South Wales/ACT, Salem was played in the forward pocket and kicked 3 goals. Yet when he moved up the field, he just played with such composure and measured his kicks so well. He’s also quite quick and can act as a ball carrier. Also got a great head on his shoulders, chatted to him several times through the year and he gives off the sense of professionalism and high level football doesn’t seem to faze him.

10. Coll - Nathan Freeman (VIC – Mid)
Sandringham Dragons
181cm 85 kgs
Player comparison: Patrick Dangerfield
Freeman is incredibly quick and powerful and compares himself to Dangerfield and Luke Shuey. Freeman can find the ball and he uses it really well. He’s an under rated kick and a real force as an outside player. He seems to have an AFL ready body. I’d like to see him try get the inside ball a little more, but other than that; there are no outstanding flaws to his game. Freeman’s combine was incredible – second in the 20m sprint with 2.82 seconds, he came 10th in the 3km run, 10th in the beep test with 14.10 and first in the repeat sprints.

11. WCE - Dominic Sheed (WA – Mid)
Subiaco
184 cm 79 kgs
Player Comparison: Chris Judd
For me, Sheed is the dual inside / outside midfielder, but without the lethal speed to launch him into top 3 contention. Sheed can get the ball, there is no doubts over that. Whilst not of the Billings/ McDonald kicking calibre, Sheed is probably an 8.5/10 in terms of footskills and is nifty by hand. He is a great decision maker and solid athletically. Not overly quick, but shouldn’t be exposed at AFL level because he knows his limitations and where to run. A local boy too, so the go home factor won’t be there. Won the Larke medal even though his national carnival was cut short.

12. Rich- Marcus Bontempelli (VIC – Mid)
Northern Knights
191 cm 83 kgs
Player Comparison: Luke Hodge/ David Myers
Plenty of people rate Bontempelli as extremely high quality. I don’t quite feel as though he is as skilful as some of the smaller midfielders, but his size should help him justify his position at 12. I rate him similarly to Luke Hodge based on two aspects of his game. The 100m stretch- Bontempelli can run for 40 metres then roost it 60m. Secondly, he reads the play so well and is an intelligent footballer. With his sort of size, he could play as a third tall. But I feel he is a dead ringer David Myers, in that he plays very similarly, yet he is much better suited as that midfield type rather than a small key position player. Bontempelli has the skills to be a great outside player and his size allows him to win clearances at TAC Cup level. Whether he can translate his inside game at AFL level remains to be seen. Later in the year, he was able to go forward and kick a bag of five whilst also being able to rack up the ball, which certainly boosts his credentials.

13. Carl - Lewis Taylor (VIC – Mid)
Geelong Falcons
173cm 72kgs
Player Comparison: Brent Harvey
Taylor is extremely quick in every sense of the word. He has acceleration out of packs and also that line breaking speed. He’s a decent user of the footy which makes him a fantastic ball carrier. Despite his small size, he can win the inside ball. However there are plenty of small inside midfielders in this year’s TAC crop, so whether he’ll be an effective inside midfielder at AFL level remains to be seen. Taylor is an absolute ball magnet. At the Morrish medal, just about every player I talked to rated Taylor as the best chance to win the Medal, despite missing a lot of games. He dominates games because he can be inside, outside and a well rounded small forward. His core strength is superb, despite only weighing 72 kg.

14. GWS - Matt Crouch (VIC - Mid)
North Ballarat Rebels
182 cm 75kgs
Player Comparison: Matthew Boyd
Crouch is the best inside midfielder this year in terms of ball winning and clearance ability. The pies have shown some interest.He is the kind of player a coach will absolutely love, as he does all the tough stuff. He tackles extremely hard and is at the bottom of every pack. He has no outside game what so ever, which makes me think he could slide to pick 18-20. He’s a fairly decent athlete. Reminds me of that Jesse Lonergan/ Ollie Wines type, but more slightly quicker. He’ll make an impact straight away, but he is limited.

15. Syd - Trent Dumont (SA - Mid)
Norwood
184cm 85kgs
Player Comparison: Ollie Wines
With Bolton retiring and the midfield group having a lot of outside talent, Dumont is a suitable pick. A really strong inside ball winner who already has an AFL body. His skills and pace aren’t anything to write home about, but they will be developed at AFL level. Whether or not he becomes an excellent clearance player remains to be seen, but he should be a solid pick. Sydney will groom him into a very good player.

16. Geel - Cameron McCarthy (WA- KPF)
South Fremantle
195 cm 89kg
Player Comparison: Jack Darling
Not so sure that Cam McCarthy is the second best key forward this year, but that’s because he hasn’t played a whole lot due to his broken leg, so it’s hard to judge him. He’s a terrific overhead mark and a solid shot on goal. He’s not Jack Darling in the defensive pressure sense, but more of the unique almost midfield like ability when the ball hits the deck. He’s more of an athlete than a footballer, so he’s quick and very good below the knees. Fairly quick over 20 metres.

17. Freo – Luke Dunstan (SA –Mid/Fwd)
Woodville-West Torrens
184 cm 82 kgs
Player Comparison: Jobe Watson
Some have compared him to Dustin Martin, but I think Dunstan will be less explosive and more consistent. Dunstan is a fantastic inside midfielder who could easily rack up 10+ clearances a game. Great footskills and a decent user by hand. He’s the kind of midfielder who can go forward and not just provide a target, but truly dominate. Big fan of his, but I understand why he has slid so far.

18. St.K - Billy Hartung (VIC - Mid)
Dandenong Stingrays
176cm 71 kgs
Player Comparison: Allan Christensen
Hartung is so skilful and tries his best. He goes in for second and third efforts and applies defensive pressure at all times. He hits the scoreboard regularly and rakes in the possessions. His size isn’t a worry for me. He is clearly ready for the AFL, with a beep test record of 16.6. He struggles with a tag, but he’s played off half back to get loose. Offensively he’s very good, kicking two stunning goals in the grand final.

19. St.K - Darcy Gardiner (VIC – KPD)
Geelong Falcons
192 cm 84 kgs
Player Comparison: Ted Richards
The best key defender in the draft. Could go forward if he needs to, and the Saints may want that. Gardiner is a great, strong mark and reads the play quite well. He is decent by foot, but probably nothing to write home about. I doubt he’ll become an attacking key back, but he should be able to become that defensive general and is reliable enough to be a link up target. The Saints need a key back and talented outside midfielders. Should get what they want.

20. GC (Activated Compo) - Blake Acres (WA – Mid)
West Perth
188cm 84kgs
Player Comparison: Andrew Mackie
Acres is a tall outside midfielder who can play virtually anywhere on the ground. Gets plenty of the ball across half back and the wing and just uses it so well. Great tall link up target and he’s a great size. It’s tough to rate him due to his injury, but GC are big fans of the Western Australian boys. Acres size allows him to play as an inside midfielder too. An all rounder who could go either way.

21. Port- Mitch Harvey (SA – KPF)
North Adelaide
196cm 97kg
Player Comparison: Jonathon Brown
The player comparison is a bit flattering, but he is in the shape of Brown. Harvey’s strong marking has a lot to do with his size, he knows where to put his body to protect the space and he can wrestle with the best of them. Unlike most key forwards he may be ready to go from day one. Harvey is a great set shot, but he knows his limitations and when to pass the ball. He’s not gifted athletically, but he is a fairly clean user of the ball and he’s the perfect marking target for Port.

22- Lions- Zac Jones (VIC- DEF/MID)
Dandenong Stingrays
181cm 74kg
Player Comparison: Michael Hibberd
Jones is a ferocious customer who will always be the first onto the scene if a brawl spills out. Having said that, he uses that aggression well and will more often than not get inside his opponents head without giving away too many frees. Jones is a very solid rebounder off half back. He provides run and kicks well. Defensively he is very accountable, and he can play on dangerous players whilst still being able to play his own game. Through the middle he is a strong clearance player, but it could still be worked on.

23. Adel - Jay Kennedy-Harris (VIC – Mid/Fwd)
Oakleigh Chargers
173 cm 68kgs
Player Comparison: Chris Yarran
Kennedy-Harris would be one of the better performed midfielders this year. He has an incredible knack for being able to turn the game on its head whenever he chooses, but then he’ll go missing for a quarter or half. He is one of the better outside players in the draft and I believe he is certainly worthy of top 20 selection, but like so many others this year, his size will push him lower than he should go. Kennedy- Harris is a natural leader and he’s really relished his co-captaincy role he shares with Will Maginness. Kennedy- Harris is an incredible outside player, he is extremely quick, evasive and is a great user of the ball. He backs himself with ball in hand and is capable of doing the incredible. Kennedy- Harris is a strong tackler and for a man who only weighs 68kgs, his core strength is unbelievable. He is very tough to tackle.
Kennedy-Harris could be a great goal kicking crumbing type if he is played as a permanent forward, but he’d be much better suited to an outside midfielder role creating opportunities.

24 - Haw – Patrick Cripps (WA- Mid)
East Fremantle
188cm 88kgs
Player Comparison: Daniel Cross
Cripps, the brother of Jamie, looks to be a late developer who has bolted a bit this year. At a great size, he dominates the inside ball and could be a clearance machine. Can play a bit as an outside midfielder but seems to be a bit of a poor user. He must become a link up target at that size and present up forward too. If he was a great kick, he could be as high as others have rated him. I think he could develop under a good midfield coach, but at the same time I have doubts over his skill level as an all round midfielder.

25. Bris- Michael Apeness (VIC- Ruck/ KPF)
Eastern Ranges
199cm 101kgs
Player Comparison: Tom Bellchambers
Seen Apeness play a few times now and he’s got the size to tear a game to shreds. Of course, sharing the forward line with Tom Boyd makes it hard for him to stand out. Apeness is a very strong contested mark and a decent shot on goal. He came to life against NSW/ACT with 33 hitouts and really giving the Metro midfielders fantastic service. Probably not the most agile of ruckman, but he’s come on in leaps and bounds this year. There’s a few better pure ruckman in this draft, but his versatility and performance on the big stage are impressive enough to warrant a second round pick. Going a bit high here, but I think Apeness is perfect for them.

26. Ess - Mitch Honeychurch (VIC- MID)
Eastern Ranges
175cm 69kg
Player Comparison: Stephen Hill
Honeychurch is an extremely damaging midfielder who can play both inside and outside. Offensively he is very good. He’s quick, gets to a lot of contests and hits the scoreboard regularly. His hands are very clean and he provides plenty of run. His marking isn’t a strong suit, but he leads up well when having a rest up forward. A real surprise packet through the year, winning the Vic Metro MVP, but his injury affected second half of the year means he’s still a little bit unknown. Obviously going to need a bit of time to put on weight, but he can find the footy and he’s one of the most dangerous with it.

27. GC - Jonathon Marsh (WA – Fwd)
East Fremantle
191cm 89kg
Player Comparison: Stewart Crameri
Marsh could really go either way. His height means he won’t ever be a proper key position forward, but he has the tools to work around that. Marsh is extremely quick, coming first in the 20m sprint with 2.78. He was also fourth in the repeat sprints and he has a great leap, coming tenth in the vertical. Considering his x-factor, it might be justifiable to take him this early, but I’m not sure he’ll ever be able to become a dominant AFL player.

28. BL- Fraser Fort (VIC – KPD/KPF)
Geelong Falcons
196 cm 84 kgs
Player Comparison: Daniel TaliaFort is best suited as a key back that plays on the big gorilla forwards. Admittedly he can go forward and clunk a mark, but the younger Geelong forwards in Goddard and McCartin are better in the forward 50. If Fort can put on a bit more size, he’ll be a very solid defender. With Hawthorn’s aging talls, they can’t afford to hope that one of the top talls slides next year. Pick 2 talent wise is a little early, but Fort is the second best defender in the draft and he is versatile so he should suit the Lions’ needs well.

29. GWS – Lloyd Perris (NSW – Mid)
St George
179 cm 74 kgs
Player Comparison: Simon Black
He is the only AIS member from NSW/ACT. Thought he was great against Vic Metro, racking up the ball and getting it all over the ground. He pushed forward late in the game and took a terrific, courageous mark after judging the flight of the ball well. He’s a quality user of the footy and looks to be one of the better Div 2 players aside from Templeton and Kade Kolodjashnij. He’s a quality leader, a great ball user and he isn’t afraid of a contest.

30. North - Alex Spinna (SA- Mid/Fwd)
North Adelaide
181cm 74kgs
Player Comparison: Sam Mayes
Spinna is one who I think could slide because he’s a bit inconsistent. He’s a great outside user and is one of the better kicks in the draft. He’s got great vision and can also play as a small forward to a high level. He gets the ball quite a bit for an outside midfielder, which is promising, but whether or not that will translate to AFL level I’m unsure of. I think he’s a poor man’s Sam Mayes, but still a good chance for top 25.

31. WCE - Dwayne Wilson (SA – Mid)
Sturt
177cm 72kgs
Player Comparison: Steve Motlop
More of a pure outside midfielder than Steve Motlop, but the damaging kick and raw pace are similar. He’s got a great penetrating kick and is a more accurate shot on goals than Motlop. Could see him used on a wing more often than as a half forward, but it really depends on where he goes. Obviously needs to put on some more size but that should come in time. Worst case scenario he could become a Leroy Jetta type- doesn’t get a lot of the ball but he is extremely quick, applies forward pressure and kicks goals.

32. Swans - Dayle Garlett (WA- Mid/Fwd)
Swan Districs
181cms 75kgs
Player Comparison: Lewis Jetta
Garlett is a classy outside midfielder who will be one to watch. The discipline/attitude issues will ultimately decide whether he’ll be passed over again, but he is the silkiest player in the draft. He came eighth in the agility test, but didn’t make top ten for any other combine tests.
In the WAFL this season, he has been tagged frequently, yet still averages over 20 possesions and two goals a game. Explosive speed, great decision maker and a kick that has great penetration. Obviously needs to put on some weight, but that will come in time. Garlett can hit the scoreboard most games and he can kick bags too, with a haul of six earlier this year being the example. Can see him being a very handy half forward whilst his body develops, and eventually should transition into a full time wing/ outside midfielder.
33. BL- Zachary Merrett (VIC-Mid)
Sandringham Dragons
179cm 76kg
Player Comparison: Steele Sidebottom
Some rate Merrett as a top 25 talent, but he doesn’t do enough defensive running to be taken that high. That being said, Merrett is a very good kick, and he racks up plenty of inside 50’s. He likes to run and carry on the outside and he’s dangerous with the ball in hand. He tackles well and seems to be putting on a little bit of size. If he could hit the scoreboard a bit more, he’d be a high class half forward. At this stage he’s an offensively minded outside midfielder, but he should play as a half forward for the first few years of his development.
34. Port - Isaiah Miller (VIC –Def/Mid)
Bendigo Pioneers
187cm 82 kgs
Player Comparison: Grant Birchall
Miller is a great play maker. Against Northern Knights earlier in the year, he was one of Bendigo’s best running out the back half. He took the kick ins but to be honest he was neither great nor disappointing. He can kick it about 50 metres but that’s a high roost. Over 20-30 metres however, Miller is great. He can run through the midfielder, but his vision and footy brain makes him a great half back. His run and carry will just add to Brisbane’s depth.
35. Swans- Toby Nankervis (TAS – Ruck)
North Launceston
199cm 100kg
Player Comparison: Mark Jamar
Rate Nankervis as the best ruck prospect this year, although Apeness will be right near him. Nankervis was the joint winner of the Harrison medal for the best division two player at the championships and he also made the All Australian team. Across champs, Nankervis averaged 21.4 disposals, 18 hit outs, close to eight and a half marks and just over a goal a game. He basically plays as a fourth midfielder in the Dean Cox mould. He moves around the ground extremely well, often combining in chains of handballs. He’s a strong lead up marking target all over the ground and his kicking is reliable enough for him to be a threat when he gets the ball. He’s one of the best contested marks and his ruck work is impeccable. He might struggle against the athletic Naitanui types, but other than that he will be a very solid AFL ruckman.

36. Geel - James Tsitas (VIC – Mid)
Geelong Falcons
180cm 76 kgs
Player comparison: Brett Deledio
Tsitas is quick and a quality endurance athlete. I’d say he’s the third best athletic gifted and skilful midfielder in this draft behind Kelly and Freeman. Tsitas is a great user of the footy, although he’s not a huge kick. Tsitas can rack up the ball as he pleases, notching up 30+ on a regular basis. He’s an ideal small link up player who can give a side plenty of drive. His size isn’t too much of a knock, but the quality of midfielders in this draft could see him go from anywhere between 15-30. He can also be an effective run with player if need be and he’s loves a bit of a yap on to his direct opponent. Coming fourth in the 3km run at combine and winning the kicking test with 29/30 hitting the target, Tsitas should be talked about as a late first to early second round prospect.

37. Freo - Nicholas Robertson (WA – Mid)
West Perth
187 cm 79kgs
Player Comparison: Brent Stanton
Considered Nick Bourke at this pick, but went with the local boy. Robertson is a hard two way running outside midfielder. Came second in the 3km run in the national combine. Like Stanton, his skills aren’t sublime but they are pretty good. You know with Robertson that he will try his best to get to every contest and based on that, he can get plenty of the ball. He’s a tallish midfielder which is all the rage. Wouldn’t mind seeing him try and become a better mark and inside player, but I think if he puts on too much size he’ll lose that running capacity. Double edged sword, really.

38. Hawks - Nicholas Bourke (VIC - Mid)
Geelong Falcons
187cm 76kgs
Player Comparison: Dyson Heppell
Bourke has been highly touted and looks to be a prospect that will be drafted earlier than I’ve placed him. Seems to be a bit skinny, but he’ll fill out in time. He’s an AIS member and he’s performed well the past two years. He’s skilled and solid athletically. Bourke is an outside running type who links up well across half back and through the midfield. Gets plenty of handball recives. He won’t be the type to have an AFL impact straight away, but I think he should develop into a high level AFL half back or midfielder. His foot skills are good enough for AFL, but I question whether he has that innate football intelligence that could allow him to become one of those creative half backs. Coming sixth in repeat sprints and having a 14.4 beep test is important for the Hawks, as they need someone who can put in effort after effort and provide creativity on the outside.

39- Carl - Darcy Hourigan (SA- Fwd)
South Adelaide
190cm weight 92kg
Player Comparison: Tim Membrey
Some rate Hourigan extremely highly and on output alone, fair enough. But we saw last year that Tim Membrey had a huge slide because he was just a little too short. This could be the same thing with Hourigan. He’s a fantastic overhead mark and can win one on one contests against bigger players. He’s not a bad shot at goal, but he’s going to have to get a bit better below the knees so he can exploit his bigger opponents. Kicked 5 against Queensland recently, but in a 100 point win, that’s not saying much.

40. Melb - Jarman Impey (VIC-Fwd/ Mid)
Murray Bushrangers
176cm 78kgs
Player Comparison: Michael Walters
Impey just has the sort of magical touch that grabs your eye instantly. Whilst he is small, he’s big enough to be drafted for certain. He’s a wonderful kick of the ball and a talented outside player. He rarely misses a target. He’s very quick and has a great goal sense. He’s the kind of player that will bob up and kick 2-3 goals every few weeks without fail. I rate him above McCartney talent wise, but whilst Impey has been more consistent, he hasn’t torn a game apart yet when up forward. However he has shown brilliant signs through the midfield and across half back. Fantastic leap at the ball, coming 6th in the vertical, 5th on right leg vertical and 7th on left leg vertical testing.

41. Geel - Cameron Conlon (VIC – Fwd/Ruck)
Northern Knights
198 cm 87 kgs
Player Comparison: Kurt Tippett
Something about Conlon that I really like, although at the same time I have question marks over his game. Feel he could turn out to be a Tyrone Vickery type player. Conlon is a great contested grab. Obviously with him being 6-8cms taller than most key backs, he can do that quite easily. He takes the ball close to the highest point and reads kicks into the 50 well. He’s a good kick at goal from the set shot. Not overly great below the knees so he’s not the type that would kick snaps from his own crumbs. Can play in the ruck, but he’s more of that Joe Daniher type key forward. His knee injury shouldn’t be a concern, it was more of a freaky accident than a long term concern.

42. WB - James Sicily (VIC- Fwd/Mid)
Western Jets
186cm 75 kgs
Player Comparison: Steve Johnson
Sicily is a player who I really like and who is going under the radar so far. He doesn’t as big a bag of tricks as Steve Johnson, but he certainly is dangerous around goals and is a live wire. He came fourth in the 20m sprint at the national combine. He’s kicked 26 goals from 16 games in the TAC Cup, and only had 3 games with less than five marks. In the draw against Oakleigh early on this year, Sicily was the most impressive player on the ground, amassing three goals, 10 marks and 24 touches (18 of those being effective). As a skilful half forward, he’s one of the better rounded ones. He’s one of the best marks in the draft, despite his weight. He knows how to use his body and where to lead to. Could be a freakish player.
43. WCE - Dan McStay (VIC – Def)
Eastern Ranges
194 cm 88kg
Player Comparison: Harry Taylor
McStay is a great swingman, but he’s too good a defender to be wasted up forward. He reads the flight well, takes strong contested marks and he’s a great size for that versatile key defender. He’s a clean user of the ball and he’s mobile enough to sweep across half back and even play on the wing. Up forward he’s a wonderful set shot and knows where to lead and how to play as the second or third key forward.

44. Syd – Riley Knight (SA – Mid / fwd)
Woodville-West Torrens
180cm 72kg
Player Comparison: Matthew Stokes
Knight has come out from nowhere and is banging down the door to be a top 30 selection. He has incredible endurance and he’s damaging with the ball. He doesn’t have a problem with finding the ball either. He could be an extremely damaging player at AFL level, but given his size it will take some time. His kicking into the 50 is fantastic and he’s surprisingly good at tackling. He’s one of the better small forwards in the draft and with his tank there’s no doubt he can make it as a midfielder.

45. Port – James Battersby (SA – Def/ Mid)
Sturt
177cm 78kg
Player Comparison: Ash McGrath
Battersby has been a massive bolter and I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets taken in the first two rounds. He has a high disposal efficiency, but having said that he’s not the kind of guy whose disposal will kill a team. He’s been playing in the seniors all year despite his small stature. He loves the contested ball and he can hit targets by both hand and foot. He’s accountable defensively too. He should be a very solid “safe” pick, as he doesn’t have any overwhelming flaws. Rebounds effectively.

46. Adel – Eli Templeton (TAS - Mid)
Burnie Dockers
182cm 67kgs
Player Comparison: Jack Redden
Plenty to like with Templeton. He’s obviously going to need time to develop and put some weight on, but he has the tools to become a solid AFL player. He is a quality user of the footy and a fantastic athlete. His endurance running is probably one of the highlights of his game, so getting to every contest is what he should be aiming to do during champs. Against Vic Country, he was the Tassie player that stood out most as he just racked it up and rarely used it poorly. A fantastic endurance athlete, coming fourth in the beep test with 15.3 and seventh in the 3km run with a time of 10 minutes 5 seconds.

47. North – Cameron Giles (SA-Def)
Woodville-West Torrens
195cm 93kg
Player Comparison: Nathan Bock
Giles is an athletic key defender who offers accountability and offense. In fairness, I’ve got him slipping a bit here, but he could easily make it as a top 30 prospect. Rebounds well and reads the flight of the ball well. Above par disposal for a big man and he’s got the decision making to go with it. At this stage he doesn’t have too many flaws and he may be even better than Fraser Fort. Can also swing forward when need be.

48 – GWS - Darcy Lang (VIC- Mid)
Geelong Falcons
181cm 75kgs
Player Comparison: Ben Howlett
Lang is that strong inside midfield type who just accumulates the ball. He’s not fantastic athletically, but he has great spatial awareness so he’s an intelligent stoppage player. Lang could make an immediate AFL impact. As he isn’t a line breaker type, he could easily put on 5-10 more kilos to become that really strong, hard to tackle type. As a later pick, Lang will be really valuable. His injury allows him to slide.

49 – WCE -
Luke Reynolds (SA- Mid/Fwd)
Port Adelaide
186 cm 85 kgs
Player Comparison: Adam Cooney
Similar to Dunstan, but not as good in the middle. Reynolds is a very strong mark and knows how to play intelligently in the forward line. He is a long kick and can find the goals with ease. Could be a 2-3 goal a game player if he played permanent forward. He doesn’t have that line breaking speed, but you can tell he is ready to bust the game open at any moment with his strength and talent. Very clean by hand, being the equal winner for the handball test with 24/30 at the combine.

50 – Rich -
Darcy Byrne-Jones (VIC- Def / Mid)
Oakleigh Chargers
180cm 69kg
Player Comparison: Pearce Hanley
Athletically gifted half back who killed it at the combine and played well at the latter end of the TAC Cup season. Coming tenth in the 20m, fourth in the agility test, second in the repeat sprints, fifth in the 3km and fifth in the beep test with 15.2. Clearly, Byrne-Jones can run, and with Brett Goodes a short term prospect, Byrne-Jones can have the time to develop, as he is still very raw.

51 – Carl -
Rory Lobb (WA – Ruck)
Swan Districs
205cm 98 kg
Player Comparison: Jarrod Witts
Lobb popped up later on in the year and there’s been a lot of conjecture over where he should be placed. Having seen a lot more of Apeness and Nankervis, I rate both of those guys ahead of him. However, Lobb is already at a fantastic size for a ruckman and offers plenty of upside. He’s very strong and has a clean set of hands. He can push forward if need be, but he’s not athletic enough to be a lead up forward. Some believe he is worthy of a second round pick.
52. Port - Will Maginness (VIC- Mid)
Oakleigh Chargers
182cm 73kgs
Player Comparison: Jarred McVeigh
Maginness shares the Co-Captaincy with Kennedy-Harris and he’s relished in that role. I was surprised to see he is only 73kgs because he seems far more powerfully built than that. Maginness is versatile enough to play inside and outside, as well as being able to play off the half forward or half back flanks. He’s the definition of a solid, no bells and whistles player who just puts his head over the ball and accumulates. I don’t see a whole lot improvement left in Maginness, yet he could still put on a lot of weight. His skills aren’t something that make him stand out, although he is an excellent kick, especially over 30-40 metres. If he gets stronger, he could be a bullocking midfielder with the potential to be an aggressive tackling forward. More of a best available pick than anything. Clubs will know what they’re getting with him.

53 – Syd - Max Hayes (VIC- Fwd)
Sandringham Dragons
191 cm 86kgs
Player Comparison: Matthew Pavlich
In the first game of the season when Sandringham had a full strength line up, Max Hayes was far and away the best player on the ground. He kicked a bag and just lead so well. In fairness, the delivery from Salem, Kelly and Amon was first class. Hayes is strong and has fantastic hands. He’s one of the key forwards who could play pretty much anywhere on the field to a high level. His field kicking is first class and he just knows where to lead. I don’t see him as the guy who will kick 3 goals a game, but more of that secondary lead up target.

54. Geel - Tom Cutler (VIC- Def)
Oakleigh Chargers
190cm 86kgs
Player Comparison: Josh Gibson
Cutler played in the age level below me at my club. Since 2011, he has certainly grown, but his game style has stayed the same. Cutler is an undersized, offensive key back who reads the play well. He’s an ideal third man up who can be a linking player. He’s fairly fast and has that closing speed to spoil leads. He’s an AIS player this year but hasn’t impressed as much as some thought he would earlier in the year. His size isn’t too much of an issue as he is very strong already and he’s definitely more of a tall attacking defender rather than the traditional key back.

55. Ess - Ben Cavarra (VIC- Mid)
Eastern Ranges
173 cm 69 kgs
Player Comparison: Dan HanneberryI’m yet to see him play a bad game. Against QLD in the first round of champs, Cavarra grabbed 35 disposals, seven inside 50’s and kicked 2.2. Best on ground in the TAC Cup grand final, joint Morrish Medalist and the most consistent midfielder all year.
Another one of my favourites in the draft and again Cavarra has a big flaw. He is tiny. Worried that he’ll be this year’s Shane Nelson, but I’ll take the punt with he and Chisari going before the rookie draft. What he lacks in size, he makes up for in every other aspect. He is a big inside ball winner. He’s at the bottom of every pack and beats heavier opponents easily. He is evasive and has surprisingly good core strength so he can bust out of tackles. As an outside player, he is quick, breaks lines, and kicks well at full flight.

56. Hawks - Jarred Jansen (WA – Mid)
East Fremantle
188cm 91kg
Player Comparison: Brad Sewell
Very strong inside midfielder who can rack up the ball. Excellent clearance player and has the core strength to bust tackles. Best case scenario he could be an excellent inside midfielder at AFL level, but athletically he isn’t good enough to be considered for a top 30 selection. Jansen presents value and he’ll slot perfectly into Sewell’s spot.

57 – Melb - Tom Langdon (VIC- Mid)
Sandringham Dragons
188cm 84kgs
Player Comparison: Leigh Montagna
Langdon is a 19 year old who looks to have improved his draft stocks this year. He’s been used more as a midfielder rather than a utility. Langdon racks up the ball as an outside midfielder but he needs to sharpen his foot skills before he could be considered a second or third round draft pick. When playing on the inside, Langdon has good awareness and gets the ball out quickly. His size is solid and he uses that to break tackles. He can be that Shaun Grigg type accumulator, but can turn it over far too easily. Great leader and racked up the ball at VFL level too.

58. Freo - Karl Amon (VIC- Mid)
Sandringham Dragons
180cm 73kgs
Player Comparison: Matt Rosa / Sam Docherty
Hard to believe that Amon is the fourth best midfielder for Sandringham, yet could easily be the best midfielder at most other clubs. Very quick, coming fifth in the 20m sprint at the combine and fifth in the agility test too. Amon is a terrific kick. He could just as easily be a great play maker off half back too. He spots up targets so well playing across the wing and has a goal sense that made him one of the highlights against NSW/ACT. He kicked three, including one which was probably the best goal on the day. He’s solid athletically and has a tank that doesn’t fail him. He gets enough of the ball, but not so much that he warrants a top 30 pick. He could be a great Jake Melksham/Matt Rosa sort of type midfielder who you’d love at your club, but they never really dominate.

59. Hawks –
Aiden Franetic (VIC –Def/Mid)
Oakleigh Chargers
184cm 79kgs
Player Comparison: Michael Hibberd
Franetic is a speedy half back/ outside midfielder who sets up the play well. He’s got the fitness to get to most contests which allows him to have a real impact. I feel he is wasted as a pure outside midfielder as he reads the play well and is a talented offensive weapon. Franetic is a high quality user of the footy and he puts it out into space for the leading forwards. Been used up forward too, but I’m still unsure of where his best position is.
I have two issues with Franetic- Will he be able to find the footy at AFL level?
Is he consistent enough to become a high quality player?

60. WB –
Louis Herbert (VIC- UTIL)
North Ballarat Rebels
187cm 75kgs
Player Comparison: Kyle Hardingham
Herbert is an explosive utility who could become a great pick, but his light frame and abhorred ability to go missing from games really puts a dampener on what could be a gem of a player. He’s been able to rack the ball up, which was an issue last year. This year, he’s been used more across the half back as a Kyle Hardingham type, due to his great leap and ability to read the flight of the ball. Came eight in the repeat springs, seventh in the vertical leap and ninth in both the left and right leg vertical tests.When forward, Herbert is a great over head mark and is fantastic around goals. He’s an accurate and long disposer of the ball and has kicked bags in the past.

61. GC – Isaac Conway (QLD – Mid)
Aspley
182cms 85kgs
Player Comparison: Nathan Jones
Plenty of interest in Conway so he could definitely be snapped up in the third round. He’s one of those bull type players who just goes in hard for the ball and gets it. He’s already got a very strong frame so he’s AFL ready. May not be the most skilful player, but he’s one of the best inside midfielders in div 2. He’s been playing in Brisbane’s NEAFL side and was considered for AIS selection, but missed out. Brisbane has chosen to take Jonathon Freeman which means Conway is fair game.

62. WCE - Zac Webster (TAS – Mid)
Glenorchy
180 cm 71kgs
Player Comparison: Daniel Wells
Zac is the brother of St.Kilda’s Jimmy. I liken him to a less skilful Daniel Wells, but having said that, his kicking is still solid. Webster is a great endurance runner but also has that acceleration to break away from packs. He’s the kind of player you’d love to see with the ball in his hands taking two or three bounces up the wing. In Tasmania’s two TAC cup games this year, Webster has had 10 and 16 handball receives. Some rate him quite highly, but I think like Jimmy, he could definitely slide. Interest has gone off him a bit, but he could make it as a running midfielder.

63. BL – Jonathan Freeman (QLD – Fwd)

Lions Academy
198cm 95kg
Player Comparison: Jesse White
Freeman will be Lion through their academy system. He’s athletic and showed some promise, but there’s not too much known about him. Last year he had an eye problem which made it difficult for him to read the flight of the ball, but that has been taken care of.

64. Geel -
Dallas Willsmore (VIC- KPF)
North Ballarat Rebels
190cm 81kgs
Player Comparison: Aaron Edwards
Willsmore is just a little too small to play as a centre half forward, but he’s got the talent. He’s an AIS kid and one of the other shining lights out of the rebels. He’s got a sticky set of hands and quick on the lead. As a third tall, I think he may have to learn how to play as a high half forward. He’s a good kick at goal, but hasn’t really kicked big bags this year in the TAC Cup. Against Tasmania, he started like a house on fire taking two great grabs deep in the 50 and slotting them on both occasions. Very clean disposal, hitting 23/30 in the handball test at the combine to come second.

65. North -
Darcy Cameron (WA- Ruck)
Claremont
203cm 98kg
Player Comparison: Dean Cox
Athletic ruckman who already has a solid frame. He’s a very effective tap ruckman and he’s agile enough to rest up forward. He’s a one grab mark type and he’s a solid set shot. He’s arguably the best ruckman in this draft, although Nankervis and Apeness are better around the ground. With McEvoy leaving, Saints will need someone who can come in and play second fiddle to Tom Hickey.

66. Ess - Clayton McCartney (VIC – Fwd/Mid)
Dandenong Stingrays
176cm 70kgs
Player Comparison: Hayden Ballantyne
McCartney is a live wire forward who doesn’t seem to have too many deficiencies. He is quick, knows where to lead and can crumb well. Against Northern Territory in the Champs, he kicked six goals in a romping. He then followed it up with three against Tasmania and just showed he knew where to run to and that he can crumb well. He’s an accurate shot at goal and could be a good replacement for Davey. Kicked an electrifying goal against the Ranges in the grand final but was quiet besides that. Whilst he can play midfield, I think he’ll become a permanent forward.
67. Coll - Guy Dickson (VIC - UTIL)
Oakleigh Chargers
188cm 81kgs
Player Comparison: Nick Riewoldt
I played alongside Dickson for three years from 2009 to 2011. From the very first training session where I matched up one on one against him, I knew he’d make the AFL. Some will list Dickson as a key back, but I’ve seen him play everywhere and I feel he is best suited to being a key forward. Dickson’s best traits are his athleticism/leap, his marking/spoiling and his endurance. Whilst he’s only 188cms, he has a huge leap. He regularly takes hangers and has played as that small athletic ruck at times. Up forward, he commands the ball on the lead, and when it is bombed in, he can out position his opponent because he plays intelligently, rather than physically. He rarely drops a mark and when playing as a key back, he reads the play so well that he’ll come third man up to spoil like Josh Gibson.He can kick it 50 metres and he’s generally an accurate set shot at goal. Around the ground, it’s like having that extra midfielder, as he disposes of it so well and is excellent below his knees. I rate him higher than Willsmore, Cutler and Hourigan as that slightly undersized key position player, but that’s because I’ve played 50 games alongside him and know him better than anyone else in the draft.He was cut from the initial Vic Metro under 16’s squad in 2011 and struggled with a broken arm. Since then, he has missed the first few games for Oakleigh, but since then has played consistently. He is fearless and again, a perfect swingman.

68. Rich -
Nick Holman (VIC-Mid)
Murray Bushrangers
186cm 79kgs
Player Comparison: Matthew Broadbent
Holman stood out against Tasmania, yet he only had 22 touches. He plays as an outside midfielder, but he has a great tank so he’s near the contest quite a lot, applying pressure constantly. He’s a solid kick over 30 metres, but he doesn’t have a great penetrating kick. Like Holman’s run and carry, but his lack of speed and ability to play inside leaves him in that 4th-rookie category.
69. Carl - Jake Kolodjashnij (TAS- KPD)
Launceston
192cm 88kgs
Player Comparison: Brian Lake
Kade’s twin brother. Like his twin, Jake also shows a bit of versatility and isn’t your traditional key back. He’s strong and goes hard in the contest. He’s nearly at the size where he needs to be for AFL so that’s pleasing for the Blues who are lacking AFL ready key backs. I’d like to see him used as a link up target across half back, as his marking and kicking are solid enough to make him a player that the forward must be accountable for. Exceeded my expectations against Vic Country and I wouldn’t put it past him to go top 50. Great jump at the footy, coming fourth in the right leg vertical test and fifth in the left leg test at combine.

70. Port -
Hugh Beasley (VIC – KPD)
Oakleigh Chargers
191cm 88kg
Player Comparison: Ben Rutten
Beasley is a very talented lock down defender and could certainly make the grade at AFL level. In round one this year, he held Tom Boyd to four goals, yet two of those very cherry picks. The latter two came late in the game from magnificent set shots. Beasley niggled him all day and negated him well. As a mid-late pick, Beasley is one of the better key defenders. He doesn’t contribute much offensively, but his skills are passable and his work rate is tremendous. He is a great spoiler and uses his body well. He is fairly strong and fast enough to make the grade.

71. Syd - Nick Favretto (SA-Mid)
West Adelaide
188cm 88kgs
Player Comparison: Sam Mitchell
Favretto is a skilful midfielder who can play both on the inside and outside. He’s a solid kick when he plays on the outside and knows where to run when linking up. He racks up plenty of the ball so I feel he’s a great chance to get drafted. He’s a good size, kicks goals and doesn’t have any massive flaws. Port could go with a tall forward or ruckman, but I think they might hold off till next year.

72. Geel – Aaron Christensen (VIC- Mid / Fwd)
Geelong Falcons
174cm 66kg
Player Comparison: Allen Christensen
Plays a lot like his brother, but he’s been overshadowed this year because of school footy. Aaron is very creative and damaging by foot. Offers a great crumbing option around goals. With Varcoe going downhill and Stokes playing more midfield, there will be a spot for Aaron in the next few years. He’s quick without being incredible. Tackles well and applies forward pressure. Could turn out to be a great player.

73. Freo - Josh Scott (VIC – Fwd)
Gippsland Power
190cm 80kgs
Player Comparison: Jack Riewoldt
Scott was passed over in the draft last year due to his light frame. He’s put on 5 or so kgs this year and has absolutely dominated so far. I said he plays like Jack Riewoldt and he does, but he’s not as good in the air. He’s fairly quick on the lead and takes the ball out in the front. He’s got a great set of hands. He’s an excellent set shot on goal and regularly kicks bags. Earlier this year he kicked 9 in a game. When I saw him live, he had limited opportunities, but he pushed up a little higher and played as a link up centre half forward. He’s intelligent and an ideal third tall.

74. Hawks -
Kurt Heatherly (VIC- Def) NZ Selection
Sandringham Dragons
193cm 85kgs
Player Comparison: Brian Lake
Strong key back who can link up well and is offensively talented. Plenty of time for him to develop so I don’t think he’ll play much next year, even though he’s at a decent size already. Reads the flight of the ball really well and his disposal is pretty good for a key back. He’s a good over head mark and links up well off the half back line. Listed him as similar to Lake as he’s an excellent intercept player and he can rack up the ball if he plays unaccountably. Not a great wrestler at this stage.

75. Geel - Jack Leslie (VIC- Ruck)
Gippsland Power
198cm 93kg
Player Comparison: Paddy Ryder
Leslie is an interesting proposition. As a ruckman, he gives it his all, but he’s a little short. He doesn’t have a spectacular leap either. He also is seemingly incapable as a forward target, barely hitting the scoreboard in the TAC Cup. However, Leslie is incredibly quick, coming sixth in the 20m sprint at state combine. Contributes quite a bit around the ground. He’s been selected in the Vic Country sides all year and holds his own, but as an undersized ruckman who can’t go forward, he mightn’t be able to make it to AFL level.

76. GWS – Jake Barrett (NSW-MID) Zone Selection
Temora
Height? Weight?
Player Comparison: Heath Hocking
Barrett just tries all day long, no matter how much they’re getting smashed by. Likened him to a more skilful Heath Hocking as he gets his own ball, can keep his player quiet and can go forward. GWS has committed to taking him as a zone selection, after his terrific combine, coming ninth in the 20m sprint and second in the beep test with 15.6. Also fairly powerfully built and has great core strength. Against Vic Metro, he had 22 possessions and kicked two nice goals. He also sustained a leg injury, yet continued on through that. Just really like his attitude and he also has a high enough skill level to have been taken in the third to early fourth round of the national draft.

77. North – Mitch Thorp (TAS – KPF)
South Launceston
194cm 89kg
Player Comparison: Jarrad Grant
Thorp looked like a flop at the Hawks, but since going to Tasmania, he’s thrived. Some believe he could be taken between the third and fourth round, but I’m not so sure. He finds a lot of the footy as that third tall type and prefers to be a link up guy, rather than a main target. Takes plenty of marks and can hit the scoreboard, but he’s not going to be a massive goal kicker at AFL level. Runs hard, but nothing spectacular. Decent insurance for a team with a late pick.

78. WB - Cain Tickner (QLD- KPF/KPD)
Aspley
194cm 91kgs
Player comparison: Michael Hurley
Tickner is Lions academy player like Conway but probably won’t command as much attention. He’s a key position swingman who can clunk marks and play at both ends well. The best part is that he’s already at a great size, so he can certainly push for selection from round one. He’s been hampered by injuries this year so he may not be highly sought after, but he’s one of the better key position value players. With the Lions electing to take Freeman, Tickner may fall away to a late draft spot or perhaps not at all.

79. GC – Hugh Curnow – (VIC – Def / Mid)
Northern Knights
182cm 73kg
Player Comparison: Nick Malceski
Curnow has come on in a big way this year. He’s no star, but his size and attributes are very attractive. He’s a solid kick, a great intercept mark and he provides plenty of run off the half back flank. He’s quick and has a decent tank. Not sure if he’ll ever become a true outside midfielder, but spurts in the middle with most of the game off the wing or back flank should be about right in the long run. May take some time to build his body to AFL standard.

80. WCE - Nathan Drummond (VIC –Def/ Mid)
Murray Bushrangers
181cm 82kgs
Player Comparison: Josh Hunt
Drummond is a solid defensive half back who can push up into the midfield. He provides rebound off the half back and links up well as he is a decent kick. Not overly quick or athletically gifted, but he goes hard at the ball and is solidly built. The best part about Drummond is that he’s accountable for his man, but at the same time he knows when to take the game on by himself. Drummond has built up his tank, finishing sixth in both the 3km time trial and the beep test at the draft combine. He also came fifth in the vertical leap test.

81. BL - Errin Wasley-Black (NT – Def/Mid)
NT Thunder
188cm 78kg
Player Comparison: Matt Buntine
GWS had the option to pick the AIS player for themselves as a zone selection, but they decided to take Barrett, so presumably the under performed Wasley-Black will be open on the free market. Wasley-Black looks to be the kind of half back who can rack up the touches, but doesn’t quite have that polish yet. He’s been played all around the ground but he’s found a niche running off the half back. He reads the play well, but when he’s setting up the play he can butcher the ball.

82 – Adel – Aaron Christensen (VIC – Mid / Fwd)
Calder Cannons
190cm 74kg
Player Comparison: Matthew Richardson
Christensen is a very interesting player. He’s skinny, but manages to take plenty of marks up forward. He’s a wonderful kick at goal, especially on the run. He has the talent to pull off the incredible. As an outside midfielder or tall wingman, he’s got great polish and links up well. Won’t ever be a permanent midfielder, but he will be tough to stop on the wing. Too quick for a tall defender and his marking is far too good for a midfielder to play on him.

83 – North – Ben Brown (KPF/ Ruck)
Werribee Tigers
198cm weight ?
Player Comparison: Tyrone Vickery
Brown is a big bodied key forward who can give the rucks a chop out. Brown is a fantastic set shot on goal and he takes plenty of marks. Interestingly, Brown is very athletic, coming equal ninth in the agility – level with Dayle Garlett. He also has a great leap, coming eighth in the right leg vertical test.

84 – Geel - Aaron Heppell (VIC – Mid/Def)
Gippsland Power
181cm 78kgs
Player Comparison: Dyson Heppell
Surprising player comparison no? But seriously, Aaron is much like his brother except a little better defensively and nowhere near as good offensively. Seems to be much more of a bull type inside midfielder and a strong half back. He’s great one on one and in close. Surprised he’s less than 80kgs because he seems to be very strong in the core. He’s a great link up player when he’s outside or off the half back line. Against the Jets, he racked up 25 touches, 7 handball receives, 5 uncontested marks and 7 tackles. For a guy who hasn’t been talked up massively, he seems to be a very solid late pick. If he can become a better ball user, then he has massive upside.

85 –Coll - Elijah Edwards (VIC- Fwd) NSW Scholarship
Oakleigh Chargers
165cm 62kgs
Player Comparison: Jeff Garlett
Edwards has been someone that the Pies have put quite some time into, perhaps hoping he’d grow a little more. That hasn’t eventuated, but one thing Edwards does have is extreme speed. He’d have everyone in this draft covered for speed by a long shot. With the ball in hand, he could easily be that 100m player carrying it from half back to half forward and getting the crowd going. He’s pure x factor and whilst his skills aren’t bad, they aren’t exactly great. He doesn’t get much of the ball and is too small to be a midfielder. He’s over hyped, but he’s fantastic to watch when he’s on.

86- Rich - Sam Heavyside (VIC- Mid)
Bendigo Pioneers
177cm 73kg
Player Comparison: Jarrod Blair
Heavyside is absolutely worthy of a top 30 pick on talent and consistency. One of the best inside midfielders in this draft and has been shovelling out insane numbers in the TAC Cup for the past three years. Only problem is he is short, which may leave him undrafted again. Whichever club gets him should be able to foster him into a 25+ possessions per game player. He is a wonderful clearance player with great vision and solid skills to go with it. It’d be a shame to see him go undrafted again.

87- Carl - Lewis Fitzgerald (VIC- Mid)
Oakleigh Chargers
190cm 82kgs
Player Comparison: Jackson Macrae
Fitzgerald reminds me a lot of a taller Jack Macrae in terms of footskills, reading the play and the chance to really bolt up the draft. Against the Western Jets early in the year, Fitzgerald just read the ball really well when the Jets tried to rebound and he had three or four consecutive inside 50’s. He’s a very silky kick and is adept on both sides of the body. He is the kind of link up player that you just value forward of the centre, as he just takes so many uncontested marks and works hard to find space. Fitzgerald only needs 15 or so touches to really influence a game. He’s high quality, already has an AFL body and great athletically. Fractured his collarbone and missed a lot of footy but he was invited to the state combine and scored a solid 13.4 on the beep test.

88 – Port - Lachlan Richie (VIC- Def)
Sandringham Dragons
189cm 78kg
Player Comparison: Andrew Mackie
Richie is a skilful medium defender who provides a solid marking target off half back. Defensively, he is somewhat accountable, but he’s more likely to take the third or fourth target in the forward line. Very good kick and he’s fairly athletic too. Looks to be at home in Sandy’s offensive backline, but it’d be interesting to see how he goes as a rebounding defender at a higher level. Might need to learn to defend better in one on one situations.

89. Swans - Brady Grey (TAS- Util)
Burnie
180cm 80kg
Player Comparison: Robbie Grey
Grey is an excitement machine who could be a game changer. Came second in all three vertical leap tests at the combine. Grey is a great marking player for his size and often hits the scoreboard. Delivers well into the forward 50 and can play in the midfield. His great kicking and speed allows him to be an outside midfield threat, but he’s also a very solid inside clearance player. As a half forward, his 15 or so touches can be deadly.

90. Geel - Meyrick Buchanan (VIC – Fwd)
Geelong Falcons
177cm 77kg
Player Comparison: Jason Porplyzia
Buchanan was considered a top 30 pick two years ago before switching to Cricket. Despite missing two years of footy while playing for the Bushrangers and Renegades, Buchanan is still very much on the AFL radar. Very good kick over 30m and he can kick 20-40 goals in a year. Creates that time and space that others can’t. Could move to the midfield if need be.

91- Freo – Jason Cooke (VIC – Fwd / Mid)Calder Cannons
183cms 79kgs
Player Comparison: Tom Rockliff
A lot of people like the look of Cooke, but he hasn’t impressed me enough yet. Cooke stands out as he works hard. He can go forward and provide a marking and crumbing target. His over head mark is a standout feature and he plays 5cm bigger than he is. In the midfield, he’s a decent kick and can play both inside and outside. Hasn’t gotten enough of the ball to really dominate yet, but up forward he’s kicked enough goals to be worthy of national draft selection. Made the state combine as a classy half forward.

92- Hawks –
Jake Greiser (VIC – Mid)
Western Jets
180cm 88kg
Player Comparison: Brad Sewell
Overloaded with the inside mids for the Hawks, but taking Greiser late as insurance is a great move, no matter which team chooses him. Very strong inside midfielder who racks up clearances. Not athletically gifted, but runs both ways and will ensure his player is accountable. On the outside he doesn’t offer a whole lot, but his disposal efficiency isn’t too much of a concern. Great tackler and provides plenty of pressure. Willing to work hard on his deficiencies. Would be surprised if he doesn’t become a solid player at the very least.

PSD: 1- GWS – Jed Lamb (VIC- Fwd)
Sydney Swans

2 – Melb – Alex Pearce (TAS- UTIL)
Devonport
197cm 82kg
Player Comparison: Rhys Stanley
I chatted to Tasmanian talent manager Matthew Armstrong during the year and he believes Pearce has the most potential of any player in the under 18’s. Having said that, Pearce is basically just a frame with excellent athletic capabilities, but as of yet, very little exposed footballing ability. He plays all over the ground, but he’s best suited to a wing. Came eighth in the 3km trial at combine and third in the beep test with 15.5. Plenty to work with, but it’ll take probably more than 4-5 years to reach that potential.

3- St.K – Darren Jolly (VIC – Ruck)
Collingwood

4 – WB - Maverick Weller (QLD- UTIL)
Gold Coast

5. GC- Jacob Chisari (VIC – Mid)
Bendigo Pioneers
176 cm 76 kgs
Player Comparison: Travis ColyerThere is a high chance that due to his size, Chisari won’t even get drafted. He was left out of the Vic Country squad. But there is serious upside to the small midfielder that not many others in this draft have. Equal winner of the Morrish medal, he is an extremely intelligent footballer and very switched on away from the park. He’s not your traditional inside midfielder- instead of getting the ball and distributing it out of the pack; he will pick the ball up on the inside and then have the pace to break away from the pack. His acceleration is a real highlight and it allows him to to not only break free from contested situations, but gives him time and space to get a clean kick away.
Chisari, like Colyer is the type of player that will back himself to run the length of the field and blaze away. I’d say Chisari is a better kick than Colyer though. A smart, quick and skilful footballer, Chisari is worthy of a second round pick, but he could be a steal late in the draft.

6 - WCE- Jake Kalanj (VIC- UTIL)
Northern Knights
184cm 78kgs
Player Comparison: Jimmy Bartel
One of my absolute favourites in the draft. In a game where there was no Bontempelli, Lennon or Conlon; Kalanj absolutely monstered it and showed that he has all the rare unteachable qualities. He reads the play so well as a backman and plugs the hole. As a wingman, he finds so much space and stays a kick behind the contest and then launches into an all out counter attack if the ball comes his way. He is an elite over head mark and can take a hanger. Kalanj tackles really well. If he could get a clearance, he’d be rated much higher, as he’d be close to the complete player. When going forward, he’s a 50 metre kick but they lack penetration. He’s a good set shot at goal and has this great footy brain so he could slot it on the run too.
If Kalanj wasn’t so one paced and played more on the inside, he’d be the lovechild of Jimmy Bartel/ and Ryan O’Keefe.

7 – BL – Mitch Keedle (VIC- MID)
Eastern Ranges
184cm 69kg
Player Comparison: Dale Thomas
Keedle looked to be a highly rated midfielder at the start of the year but he hasn’t really delivered. Very talented on the outside, with a supreme kick and a solid enough tank to cover the ground. Has a burst of speed too. Problem is that he has absolutely no inside game whatsoever. Will sit on the wing and wait till the ball comes to him, rather than going to get the ball. Type of player you want to give the ball to, but if he doesn’t start going into packs, he’ll get found out very quickly.

8 – Adel – James Toohey (VIC – UTIL)
Oakleigh Chargers
196cm 94kg
Player Comparison: Jarrod Roughead
Toohey has had an excellent praise and earned a heap of praise from his team mates. Versatile tall who can play in literally any position. Excellent shot for goal, although his field kicking can be iffy. Very good in the contest and marks well, and he isn’t bad when the ball goes to ground. Played a bit as an on baller this year, which is a testament to his versatility.

Rookie Draft-
1- GWS- Michael Gibbons (NSW- MID) Zone Selection
Murray Bushrangers
175cm 71kg
Player Comparison: Matt Priddis
Big fan of Gibbons. Excellent guy to talk to off the field, oozes class and professionalism. On the field, he racks the ball up big time. Very tough, despite his small frame. Extracts the ball well, reads the hitouts better than most in this year’s crop. Excellent kick for an inside midfielder and fairly quick. Hits the scoreboard too. Could have seen him go top 50 if he played for a better side.

2- Melb – Chris Cain (VIC – MID)
Port Melbourne
181cm 83kg
Player Comparison: Kyle Martin
Cain is a 26 year old midfielder who has spruiked some interest this year. His skills are sublime, being the equal winner of the handball test and the goal kicking test at the combine. Great endurance and certainly not sluggish. Good mark for his size. Improvement on Magner and Couch. Sometimes labelled as being a pure outside player, but god knows Melbourne need clean outside users.

3- St.K – Alex Spencer (VIC- Def)
Sandringham Dragons
193cm 83kg
Player Comparison: Ben Stratton
Very versatile key defender who plays as though he’s a half back flanker. Defensively, he’s great at reading the flight of the ball and taking intercept marks. He struggles in physical contests, but he’s smart and quick enough to avoid wrestles. Great kick for a key defender and loves to rebound. Think he’s going to be a very good player and worthy of a national draft selection.

4 – WB – Jesse Tardio (VIC – Mid)
Northern Knights
179cm 72kg
Player Comparison: Callan Ward
Tardio is a very strong inside player who racks up the ball. Knows where to run and is very clean by hand. An okay kick, but very good on the run around goals. Great goal sense. Tackles well, but he’s a little bit slow. Not great in terms of endurance, but his work rate cannot be questioned. Goes on for 10 minutes of hard running before coming to the bench absolutely spent. With a few pre seasons, he’ll be a solid player.

5 – GC – Anthony Prestia (VIC – Mid)
Calder Cannons
174cm 79kg
Player Comparison: Dion Prestia
Haven’t found Anthony overly impressive this year, but he’ll come into rookie considerations. Prestia is a fantastic tackler, recording 75 in 19 games. Prestia is ferocious on the inside and also a decent ball user on the outside. His kicking can be very hit and miss though. Doesn’t get enough of the ball to warrant a lot of attention, but he can get 25 disposals on a good day. Plenty to improve on but a fair choice in the rookie draft.

6 – WCE – Andreas Roth (VIC- Fwd)
Eastern Ranges
174cm 72kgs
Player Comparison: Angus Monfries
Genuinely cannot believe the lack of love this guy gets. The best pure small forward in the TAC Cup, and manages to kick plenty of goals, even when all the delivery goes to Boyd, Apeness and Petracca . He is great on the lead and knows how to get out of the big guys way while still being in a damaging position. A fantastic mark for his height, yet he’s also a magician below the knees. His field kicking isn’t that great and he’ll always be a permanent forward. I think that lack of versatility is why people don’t rate him. But if you look at the starting small forwards for Metro against NSW/ACT, it was Billings, Salem, Tardio and Lennon. All of whom are predominately midfielders who can play forward. Roth has been starved of opportunities but performs so well consistently.

7 – BL – Matthew Haynes (VIC- MID/ FWD)
Northern Knights
189cm 78kg
Player Comparison: Jobe Watson
Been played as a key forward this year through necessity, and has done a decent job. Excellent overhead mark and a quality set shot on goal. Long kick and he’s tough as nails. As an inside midfielder, he gathers enough of the ball to do damage. Not an excellent athlete, but that can be improved. Came back to the Knights as a 19 year old.

8 – Adel - Ben Sokol (WA – Fwd / Mid)
South Fremantle
183cm 87kg
Player Comparison: Stewart Crameri
Sokol is a very strong, bullocking type forward who can rotate through the midfield. Great hands and will beat most medium defenders in a wrestle. Finds a fair bit of the footy too, which means he can rotate through the midfield. His potency up forward should allow him to get pick up.

9 – North – Harley Walshe (VIC – Def)
Western Jets
196cm 90kg
Player Comparison: Luke McPharlin
Walshe is an overage key defender who is excellent in a lockdown role. Doesn’t contribute much offensively, which is his biggest deficiency. Having said that, he’s a reliable kick and very solid mark so he could be used in link up plays across half back.

10 – Ess - Matt Merlo (VIC- Mid)
Calder Cannons
183cm 85kgs
Player Comparison: Kyal Horsely
Merlo has stood out in a very poor side, which favours him quite a bit. From day one, Calder’s game plan was to bomb it long, yet they don’t have a dominant key forward to take a grab. Merlo has been a big part of that, as he just racks up possessions as boots it as far as he can. His disposal is pretty poor and his decision making isn’t up to standard either. He is an excellent leader and can get the clearances pretty well. Strong body, tackles well and can play a solid defensive game too. He works hard and can go forward. But he isn’t very quick and he doesn’t use the footy well- two serious flaws that should see him drop significantly.

11- Coll – Jake Kelly (VIC- Def / Mid) F/S
Oakleigh Chargers
188cm 83kg
Player Comparison: Jed Adcock
Was never really overly impressed with Kelly in the four or five times I saw him play. Didn’t win enough of the ball to be a threat off the half back flank, but nonetheless he has the tools to prove me wrong. An excellent runner, coming third in the 3km trial and equal fifth in the beep test with 15.2. Very solid size, and he defends quite well. He provides run and carry off the half back line and his kicking is usually reliable, although he does produce the more than the occasional shocker. Questions hang over whether he can find enough of the footy for AFL level and also whether his kicking can become a weapon, rather than a liability.

12- Rich – Billy Hogan (VIC – Mid / Fwd)
Oakleigh Chargers
180cm 77kg
Player Comparison: Cyril Rioli
Hogan could be an absolute steal. On his day, he is an absolute match winner. Only needs a quarter of brilliance to turn the game. Great mark for his size and can slot a goal from just about anywhere. Has a whole bag of tricks. Hogan racks up the ball as an outside midfielder and has a lethal kick into the 50. The reason why he isn’t talked up as a hot prospect is his lack of consistency. Can see him becoming a genuine star if clubs invest time into him.

13- Carl – Kane Lambert
Northern Blues
178cm 78kg
Player Comparison: David Mundy
Lambert should attract plenty of attention this year. Came second in the Liston trophy and won Northern’s Best and Fairest by a country mile. Got a call up to the state combine, which surprised me as I thought he would have had more interest than Chris Cain. Very high possession winner, averaging 26 per game. Also a goal kicker, with 21 to his name, despite playing in the middle for most of the year. Inside and outside games are both very high quality, and his tackling and defensive pressure are superb. Good chance he’ll get taken in the National Draft.

14 – Port – Daniel Flynn (Irish International Rookie)
Not too much known about Flynn, but he impressed at the combine which made Port one of the many clubs chasing him. Came third in the 20m sprints with a time of 2.83 (0.01 behind Nathan Freeman) and also posted an excellent 24.25 in the repeat sprints.

15 – Swans – Joseph Fisher (VIC – Def)
Eastern Ranges
187cm 79kg
Player Comparison: Rhys Shaw
Fisher is a solid half back who offers plenty off the rebound. Decent mark and a very solid kick without being anything special. Reads the flight of the ball well. Defensively he can be unaccountable sometimes, but when he is in a contest he holds his own.

15 – Geel – Doug Bond (VIC – Mid / Fwd)
Geelong Falcons
180cm 68kg
Player Comparison: Shane Savage
A lot of the Geelong boys rate Bond highly, but he’s missed a lot of TAC Cup through his commitments at Geelong Grammar. Talented goal kicker, but his decision making can be questionable. Bit of speed and a decent outside player, but doesn’t hurt other teams enough. Also very light at this stage.

17 – Freo - Nick Prowse (VIC- Ruck / Fwd)
Oakleigh Chargers
198cm 78kg
Player Comparison: Zac Clarke
Prowse has had an excellent year, with an invite to the state combine being the cherry on top. Great leap at the ball, which helps as an undersized ruck. Makes a great contest up forward and can take a bundle of strong contested marks. Good set shot at goal, but his field kicking and general skills are lacking.

18- Hawks – Jake Owen (VIC – UTIL)
Calder Cannons
191cm 82kg
Player Comparison: Adam Goodes
Owen came back as a 19 year old and had an excellent season, taking out Calders best and fairest. Plays as a tall midfielder but has the size to be a key forward. Really a bit of a jack of all trades, but master of none. He’s very consistent, can find the ball and is reliable by foot. Solid mark and strong when playing on the inside. He seems to have the right attitude towards football and looks to be a very coachable type of guy.

19 – GWS – Max King (NSW – Ruck) Zone Selection
Murray Bushrangers
200cm 89kg
Player Comparison: Jesse White
King is an agile, but light ruckman. Bit of speed about him, and he’s a decent jump at the ball. He’s got the right attributes to play as a resting ruck in the forward line, but he hasn’t translated that to form at TAC Cup level. Decent mark, and an excellent tap ruckman. Doesn’t find much of the ball and will be a project type for quite some time. Not confident he’ll make the transition to AFL level, but there’s always hope.

20. Melb – Jordan Walker (VIC- Def)
Eastern Ranges
185cm 77kg
Player Comparison: Heath Shaw
Walker is quite similar to Fisher in terms of game style. Traditional rebounding half back, without any standout qualities. Walker is a little better defensively though. Decent pace, solid mark and more accountable than Fisher.

21 – St.K – David Iaccarino (VIC – Mid)
Western Jets
182cm 81kg
Player Comparison: Brad Ebert
Iaccarino had a very good year and deserves to be drafted, although I think it’s more probable that he’ll become a solid VFL player. Can play inside and outside, but doesn’t really stand out with either. On the inside he can win clearances and he is a clean distributor. On the outside he provides a bit of run and will hit targets. However, he’s not strong enough to become a dominant inside player at AFL level. And he isn’t quick enough or have a damaging kick, so he can’t be an outside player either. If he builds his tank, he could be a decent tagger.

22. WB – Jayden Foster (VIC – Fwd) f/s
Calder Cannons
194cm 87kg
Player Comparison: Taylor Walker
Foster is a big power forward who hasn’t been all that impressive, but could be alright as a project. Looks to be a very solid mark on the lead as well as one on one. Doesn’t dominate his opponent but will always create a contest. Fantastic set shot, slotting them from 45m out on the boundary. Has the tools to be a solid rookie pick.

23 – GC – Ed Morris (VIC – Mid)
Gippsland Power
178cm 71kg
Player Comparison: Dion Prestia
Morris is a small inside midfielder who finds the footy easily. Surprisingly strong for an inside midfielder of his weight. Tackles well and runs both ways. Has a bit of an outside game, but he’s not overly damaging with ball in hand. Could become an AFL standard player considering the amount of possessions he gets, but it’s hard to tell.

24 – WCE – Orazio Fantasia (SA – Fwd)
Norwood
176cm 64kg
Player Comparison: Jake Neade
Tiny but talented crumber. Reads the play very well and takes his opportunities. Real pace inside the forward 50, but doesn’t have the tank to rotate through the midfield. Good finisher around the goal face. Doesn’t get enough of the ball, so he needs to work on his defensive pressure and tackling.

25 – BL – Jason Robinson (VIC- Def)
Western Jets
187cm 82kg
Player Comparison: Josh Hunt
Robinson is a guy who I haven’t been sold on, but it seems like he only plays well when I’m not there. Strong medium defender who will beat most of his opponents in a one on one contest. He provides run off the half back flank and he’s a very long kick. Takes the kick outs for the jets and hits most targets, but you wouldn’t say he’s an elite kick. Gets enough of the ball to hurt his opponent. With his size and long kicking, he could be a decent AFL player, but again I think he may have to travel down the VFL path.

26 – Adel – Brady Egan (VIC – FWD)
Dandenong Stingrays
188cm 84kg
Player Comparison: Chris Dawes
Not sold on Egan, and I think his partner in crime Nathan Gardiner is a better forward. Egan has some great traits – he takes plenty of marks, often hitting that 7-8 per game level. For an undersized key forward, he also lays quite a few tackles. He can provide some relief in the ruck, although I’m not sure he’d be effective at AFL level. Now the downside, Egan is extremely inconsistent. Kicked 5 goals against an extremely undermanned Sandringham and aside from that he only had 3 other games where he kicked multiple goals. 5 goalless games and 5 games with one goal is pretty poor. He also can have games where he has 15 touches and eight marks. Then the next week he’ll be goalless, have less than ten touches and be a ghost. Came back as a 19 year old and may be lucky to get drafted due to the lack of key forwards this year.
27 – North - Nick Evans (VIC – Mid)
Eastern Ranges
178cm 71kg
Player Comparison: Brent Stanton
Evans is a damaging outside midfielder who loves to run and carry. Probably the fourth or fifth string midfielder at Eastern, which is why he doesn’t get the love he should. Good kick of the footy and he’s deceptively quick and evasive. Doesn’t rack up massive numbers but 20 touches from him are worth 25 from another midfielder. Needs to improve his endurance though.

28 – Ess – Jedd Clothier (NSW- Mid) NSW Scholarship
Calder Cannons
189cm 82kg
Player Comparison: Josh P Kennedy
Clothier is that bullocking type inside midfielder who can rack up a heap of touches. Very strong around the waist and he’s hard to tackle as he is also evasive. Long kick of the ball, probably 55 to nearly 60m. Can play a bit on the outside and he backs himself with the ball in hand. Not the quickest guy, but his speed isn’t an issue. Got the right mix of exposed form and potential to make it to AFL level.

29 – Coll - Tony Armstrong (SA – Def)
Sydney Swans

30 – Rich – Jydon Neagle (NSW- Fwd)
Murray Bushrangers
185cm 77kg
Player Comparison: Mark LeCras
Marking small forward who hasn’t been overly impressive. Hits the scoreboard, but seems to have minimal impact on games. Doesn’t find much of the ball and doesn’t look like he could venture into the midfield. Solid mark for his size and he is a decent crumber. Not quick enough to be a prolific small forward and needs to learn how to apply more pressure defensively. Creative around the goal face.

31. Carlton – Mark Orr (VIC- UTIL)
Western Jets
195cm 97kgs
Player Comparison: Chris Dawes
Something I don’t quite get with Orr. He’s a better player than his stats say, but in all fairness, he is a seriously limited player. He’s a good mark on the lead and in the air. Yet he only takes 3-4 per game. He’s a good target up forward, yet he hasn’t kicked more than one goal in a game this year. Against Oakleigh, he threatened to kick 3-4, but the wind put him off horribly that day. He’s a serviceable back up ruckman, averaging around 8 hitouts a game (Duon Dawam, their first ruckman lead the league in hitouts). He can play as a key back too, which is important. He’s strong in one on one competitions and honestly on an output basis that is where he’s done his best work. But I like him as a lead up forward. He’ll never be exciting on the stats sheet but at least the Blues will have a forward target with real size and consistency.

32- Port – Aaron Cornelius (TAS- KPF)
Brisbane Lions

33. Syd – Josh Turner (VIC – Mid)
Northern Knights
183cm 74kg
Player Comparison: Jordan Lewis
Fiery redhead who took his game to the next level in the latter part of the year. Big time inside ball winner who has a decent outside game too. His kicking and handballing is reliable, without being overly damaging. Very good defensively and could quite easily become a solid tagger at AFL level. Agile and possesses excellent endurance. Average mark and speed, but reads the ball well at ground level when he goes forward.

34 – Geel – George Cameron (VIC – Mid)
Geelong Falcons
180cm 75kg
Player Comparison: Daniel Cross
Equal winner of the Morrish medal, which surprised plenty of fans. Racks up plenty of the ball on the inside, but doesn’t have that hurt factor. He’s a bit one paced and doesn’t have much of an outside game. A nineteen year old who came back to the Falcons, might be okay as depth.

35 – Freo – Matthew Boag (VIC – Mid / Fwd)
Geelong Falcons
185cm 90kg
Player Comparison: Stewart Crameri / Dane Swan (as a forward)
Boag is a very dominant mid sized forward. One of the strongest marks in the TAC Cup and a proven goal kicker. He also runs through the midfield, using his excellent kicking on the outside and his strong body on the inside. Chatted to him recently and he is very realistic in terms of where he is at. Fremantle talked to him earlier in the year, but their interest cooled later in the year when he got injured. If undrafted, keep an eye on him at Werribee, he’ll be dominant in the right environment.

36 – Hawks – Sam Bennett (VIC- Def)
North Ballarat Rebels
189cm 76kg
Player Comparison: Nick Suban
Very surprised that Bennett got invited to the national combine. Doesn’t win enough of the ball to draw attention to him and really lacks consistency. He’s a good height for a medium defender and he provides run off the half back, but his light frame make him a vulnerable defender and if he doesn’t get enough of the ball off the flank, he can be ineffective. Originally had him late in the national draft based on the interest of at least five clubs, but I can see him as more of a developing rookie type.

Where the hell is Malcolm Karpany??????????????????????????????

Haven't seen enough of him to say he'll absolutely get drafted. Like the look of some other TAC Cup prospects ahead of him from what I have seen though.

... Or Stephen Edwards, aren't one of the WA clubs deliberately trying to make him go unnoticed?

If so seems to have done the trick.

Yeah heard that rumour that he's being hidden too. Wouldn't be surprised if he is being hidden, and again, living in Victoria makes it hard to keep up with someone who is well off the radar

Haven't seen enough of him to say he'll absolutely get drafted. Like the look of some other TAC Cup prospects ahead of him from what I have seen though.

Yeah heard that rumour that he's being hidden too. Wouldn't be surprised if he is being hidden, and again, living in Victoria makes it hard to keep up with someone who is well off the radar
No way Pies would overlook Bontempelli.. I can tell you first hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

32. Swans - Dayle Garlett (WA- Mid/Fwd)
Swan Districs
181cms 75kgs
Player Comparison: Lewis Jetta
Garlett is a classy outside midfielder who will be one to watch. The discipline/attitude issues will ultimately decide whether he’ll be passed over again, but he is the silkiest player in the draft. He came eighth in the agility test, but didn’t make top ten for any other combine tests.
In the WAFL this season, he has been tagged frequently, yet still averages over 20 possesions and two goals a game. Explosive speed, great decision maker and a kick that has great penetration. Obviously needs to put on some weight, but that will come in time. Garlett can hit the scoreboard most games and he can kick bags too, with a haul of six earlier this year being the example. Can see him being a very handy half forward whilst his body develops, and eventually should transition into a full time wing/ outside midfielder.

He averaged 15.9 possessions a game. Got a lot of cheap goals from the hard work of other players. Yet to be convinced he'll be an AFL player.

great effort mate, just on the lions we have pick 34 in the ND, also i doubt we would pick up another ruck/forward the listis already overflowing with thme now with the addition of jackson paine, trent west and jono freeman, however i do see us taking more outside types since polec yeo and docherty are gone, and a kpd too

Interesting stuff. Although it does amuse me somewhat that everyone seems to think that the Eagles are desperate to get Sheed. In earlier phantom drafts many people were certain that the Eagles would take him with pick 6, now that they no longer have that pick people are just as certain that he won't go that high and will last until the Eagles first pick (11).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good stuff, glad to see Brady Grey get a mention, but disappointed that there is no Jake Kolodjashnij. Don't like his game, Dukes? I'd have thought he'd be a second or third rounder.

Great read. For Fremantle the selections are not really hitting our needs area with further additions to an already packed list of midfielders, and not enough KPP's. But come the day, who knows.

In your draft Gardiner, Acres and Harvey you rated just after our selection, and would be happier to see them at Freo, with McCarthy the dream. Similar story in the second with Conlon, Hourigan and McStay better matches for our needs.

No way Pies would overlook Bontempelli.. I can tell you first hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Pies have been linked to several players this year. Started with Taylor and Crouch. Now it looks like Aish and Freeman. Also believe that if Lions don't take Lennon, they will snatch Bontempelli.

He averaged 15.9 possessions a game. Got a lot of cheap goals from the hard work of other players. Yet to be convinced he'll be an AFL player.

Sorry that Garlett analysis was done midway through the year, didn't update the possesion count. Regardless, 50 goals in a year and 16 possessions certainly counts as terrific form. He is after all an opportunist player, he'll kick whatever goal he can get.

great effort mate, just on the lions we have pick 34 in the ND, also i doubt we would pick up another ruck/forward the listis already overflowing with thme now with the addition of jackson paine, trent west and jono freeman, however i do see us taking more outside types since polec yeo and docherty are gone, and a kpd too

Given you fort for the kpd and jones for the half back. Interesting though, as presumably this will be brown's last season. West is more of a top up type. Paine is an upgrade on Cornelius and Freeman, well we don't know how good he could be at this stage. Overall there isn't a massive amount of key forwards and rucks, and Apeness is far more agile than most so he could play alongside other tall players

Great read. For Fremantle the selections are not really hitting our needs area with further additions to an already packed list of midfielders, and not enough KPP's. But come the day, who knows.

In your draft Gardiner, Acres and Harvey you rated just after our selection, and would be happier to see them at Freo, with McCarthy the dream. Similar story in the second with Conlon, Hourigan and McStay better matches for our needs.

Figured with Tanner Smith being in the same mould, you wouldn't be as keen on Gardiner. Similar pick to Acres with Robertson later on. And Harvey, well i'm not too convinced that he'll be a star at AFL level. Yeah bit of a case of you guys taking best available with robertson and dunstan. However, later in the draft, I've given Freo Josh Scott and Nick Prowse, both of whom could make it to AFL level. more so with scott.

Good stuff, glad to see Brady Grey get a mention, but disappointed that there is no Jake Kolodjashnij. Don't like his game, Dukes? I'd have thought he'd be a second or third rounder.
Big fan of Jake's actually. He's there at pick 69. Think he and Alex Spencer could slip due to them being average on on one defenders at the moment. Rate them both though.

6 – WCE – Andreas Roth (VIC- Fwd)
Eastern Ranges
174cm 72kgs
Player Comparison: Angus Monfries
Genuinely cannot believe the lack of love this guy gets. The best pure small forward in the TAC Cup, and manages to kick plenty of goals, even when all the delivery goes to Boyd, Apeness and Petracca . He is great on the lead and knows how to get out of the big guys way while still being in a damaging position. A fantastic mark for his height, yet he’s also a magician below the knees. His field kicking isn’t that great and he’ll always be a permanent forward. I think that lack of versatility is why people don’t rate him. But if you look at the starting small forwards for Metro against NSW/ACT, it was Billings, Salem, Tardio and Lennon. All of whom are predominately midfielders who can play forward. Roth has been starved of opportunities but performs so well consistently.

Saw a lot of this kid and was really impressed.
Would love to see him get on a list.

8. North- Luke McDonald (VIC - UTIL – NM F/S)
Werribee Tigers
187 cm 77 kgs
Player Comparison: Shannon Hurn
Plenty has been said about McDonald’s kicking, and it’s true. He could nail a target from 60m away easily. McDonald is a great size, but unfortunately lacks that defensive talent at this point. Hopefully playing in the VFL should allow him to become more accountable in the back half especially against big bodied opponents. McDonald has incredible pace and should form a formidable half back duo with Shaun Atley. North fans have their playmaker. The question is whether he can break forward tags. Against NSW/ACT he had 24 touches but nothing that made him standout whatsoever. I haven’t been as impressed with him as others have, but nonetheless he’ll go to the Roos with their first pick.

So lets be honest here, have you actually seen him play?

Given you fort for the kpd and jones for the half back. Interesting though, as presumably this will be brown's last season. West is more of a top up type. Paine is an upgrade on Cornelius and Freeman, well we don't know how good he could be at this stage. Overall there isn't a massive amount of key forwards and rucks, and Apeness is far more agile than most so he could play alongside other tall players

I know what you mean but at this stage we have Jordan Lisle, Stefan Martin, Michael Close, Sam Michael, Jono Freeman, Jackson Paine, Marco Paperone, as young forward options while none have shown much I think they need to be given a chance before we recruit anymore would just be terrible list management if we took another

Saw a lot of this kid and was really impressed.
Would love to see him get on a list.

agreed. makes the most of his opportunities and offers a few different avenues to goal.

So lets be honest here, have you actually seen him play?
Five or six times. I just dont buy into the hype that surrounds him. Whilst he has the tools to hurt teams, he has been a passenger most of the time when i've watched him.

agreed. makes the most of his opportunities and offers a few different avenues to goal.

Five or six times. I just dont buy into the hype that surrounds him. Whilst he has the tools to hurt teams, he has been a passenger most of the time when i've watched him.

Right.

I'd love to know which ones. You clearly missed last years TAC Cup finals, this years VFL finals (He averaged over 30 touches a game in both) and a myriad of other games since winning the u/16 MVP in the nationals?

McDonald is a great size, but unfortunately lacks that defensive talent at this point. Hopefully playing in the VFL should allow him to become more accountable in the back half especially against big bodied opponents

He was named AA last year for shutting down Sam Mayes and Taylor Garner deep in the backline, and he played half back in the championships.

I don't think defending is an issue tbh.

Right.

I'd love to know which ones. You clearly missed last years TAC Cup finals, this years VFL finals (He averaged over 30 touches a game in both) and a myriad of other games since winning the u/16 MVP in the nationals?

He was named AA last year for shutting down Sam Mayes and Taylor Garner deep in the backline, and he played half back in the championships.

I don't think defending is an issue tbh.

He had 10 games with under 20 touches this year at VFL level. Like I said, the game where he gathered 24 disposals in the champs - he may have had it a fair bit but he was far from damaging.

It can definitely be worked on. He'll be exposed early on if he plays on a stronger body. There's no doubting his potential, but he has a long way to go.

He had 10 games with under 20 touches this year at VFL level. Like I said, the game where he gathered 24 disposals in the champs - he may have had it a fair bit but he was far from damaging.

It can definitely be worked on. He'll be exposed early on if he plays on a stronger body. There's no doubting his potential, but he has a long way to go.

He was injured for over 2 months of the season leading into the championships, and carried that for alot of the VFL year. I still don't know what not being damaging with the ball (lol) has to do with not being able to defend?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back