EDFL Premier Division 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

C'mon guys were losing focus on what's important here - Doutta's are back in B Grade.

Had the pleasure of watching the 1st qtr of Marby and Greenvale and thought Marby could go all the way, although the aid of the wind helped in that 1st qtr, and then went across to Doutta's and was gobsmacked by the crowd and the noise. The game was enthralling, both sides had run-ons at different stages of the last 3 qtrs, although I thought Doutta's could come home with the aid of a few dubious umpiring decisions, but at the end of the day, they didn't affect the game all that much. Again congrats to both clubs Doutta's and Northern Saints on what was a great game of footy. Big crowd for the last fixture, both sides had hefty support. I couldn't get over it. Damn hard enough buying a dim sim let alone a beer, but it was great. Eagerly look forward to a great finals campaign, I think Aberfeldie might just come good at the right end of the season, it's hard to think otherwise with the talent they have on the park.

Amazing to think that most people had them pushing for finals given the 5 odd big recruits at start of year. Just shows how much you have to get right and how much luck you need. They've lost about 7 games they could've won and now they're in B grade.

What about team of the year? I hope the EDFL makes Nat Caruso the coach of the year, anyone who can get a team to kick 29 goals in a game is a genius especially when you think they kicked 4 goals only a couple of weeks earlier. Fort Caruso was BOG again on weekend so has to make team of the year and I hope that Stocco (60 odd goals) and the big ruckman get considered

Other candidates from my limited knowledge:

EDS - J. Morris, Paulke?
Abers - Cubillo, Reimers, Davis, Blake should make it with a handful of others every chance
GV - bluejet who should be in?
Avondale - Rose, Galea, Grabowski, Cravino, Tiller, Young should all make it
Pacco - Vespremi, Polizzi. Who else?
Keilor - Browne, Joyce, Van Reit, Burke
Strathmore - Lyons, Horne, Knight, T. Grima who else?
APW - Kenny, Urquart, Harris, Boyd
Marby - Black, Castello

J. Morris (EDS) Tiller (Av) L.Davis (A)
J.Young (Av) Burke (K) Van Reit (K)
Lyons (S) Cubillo (A) Joyce (K)
Veszpremi (PV) Galea(Av) Grabowski (Av)
Rose (Av) Stocco(NS) Reimers (A)
Rucks: Browne (K), F.Caruso (NS), Horne (S)
Bench: Urquhart (APW), Nayna (GV), Blake (A), M. Smith (GV),

Coach: N.Caruso

I was at the game watching NS v Strathy, and enjoyed the day immensly. Spoke to a number of people who I believe were on the committee and was made to feel very welcome. The BBQ they ran was fantastic, the best barby of any home teams. I didn't see or feel any culture problems, in fact, thought it was a great day with lots of kids and adults about the place. I felt I could use all their facilities, watched the races inside during the break where they had food on I think between the committee and the Strathy guys. The ladies in the canteen would say hi as they walked in and out of the canteen in the social rooms. Can't say I saw any issue with culture, in fact the opposite. It was great. Well done NSFC

I am bias and must say the the Marby Barby is the best barby by a long long way of any home teams.

Amazing to think that most people had them pushing for finals given the 5 odd big recruits at start of year. Just shows how much you have to get right and how much luck you need. They've lost about 7 games they could've won and now they're in B grade.

What about team of the year? I hope the EDFL makes Nat Caruso the coach of the year, anyone who can get a team to kick 29 goals in a game is a genius especially when you think they kicked 4 goals only a couple of weeks earlier. Fort Caruso was BOG again on weekend so has to make team of the year and I hope that Stocco (60 odd goals) and the big ruckman get considered

Other candidates from my limited knowledge:

EDS - J. Morris, Paulke?
Abers - Cubillo, Reimers, Davis, Blake should make it with a handful of others every chance
GV - bluejet who should be in?
Avondale - Rose, Galea, Grabowski, Cravino, Tiller, Young should all make it
Pacco - Vespremi, Polizzi. Who else?
Keilor - Browne, Joyce, Van Reit, Burke
Strathmore - Lyons, Horne, Knight, T. Grima who else?
APW - Kenny, Urquart, Harris, Boyd
Marby - Black, Castello

J. Morris (EDS) Tiller (Av) L.Davis (A)
J.Young (Av) Burke (K) Van Reit (K)
Lyons (S) Cubillo (A) Joyce (K)
Veszpremi (PV) Galea(Av) Grabowski (Av)
Rose (Av) Stocco(NS) Reimers (A)
Rucks: Browne (K), F.Caruso (NS), Horne (S)
Bench: Urquhart (APW), Nayna (GV), Blake (A), M. Smith (GV),

Coach: N.Caruso

I only saw a couple of games this year but going off others opinions I'd say many of the usual contenders won't make it due to missing a stack of games.
I'd say that Campo and Matty Smith would have to be in contention, though with blokes like Tiller and Burkey having good years they may struggle.

Can anyone give a true account of what happened in the U18's game?

So far I've heard 5 x VicPol cars, 2 x ambulance and kids in hospital with severe head injuries??

If anyone on here was there can you provide a true account?

I just happened to be walking past when all the trouble started. I must admit I didn't actually see the start of the game but the 5 minutes I did see was all about Northern Saints players trying to hit push pull dump bash Douttas players at any given opportunity. The crowd were calling for players to be sent off as it was obvious what was eventually going to happen.

After Douttas kicked the ball into their forward line, a melee started in the centre with about 12 players. It was evident very early that the Douttas boys idea of a fight was a push and shove and the Northern Saints guys were intent on actually taking it further which resulted in 1 player being "felled" and then kicked by another player. At this point the two teams were separated and the umpire called off the game. The player that was hit was motionless on the ground for about 20 minutes until the ambulance arrived and wasn't actually loaded for a further 20 minutes.

A couple of police cars and a divisional van arrived and started taking statements for those involved and also the crowd that witnessed the incident. I overheard the Northern Saints coach saying sorry to some officials from Douttas but was disappointed but not surprised when he said it was the same kids every week that give him trouble. For this reason, the entire club should be relegated to Division 2 and fined $20,000. It's no excuse to protect these low life mongrels that have no respect for human life.

The reaction of onlookers could not have been more different. The spectators from Douttas were left bewildered about what they had witnessed. Northern Saints fans, parents, siblings etc were laughing and celebrating like they had some sort of moral victory and wondering what all the fuss was about.

I dare say the EDFL will hit the perpetrator with a wet lettuce leaf like they did the West Coburg player that kicked an Airport West player in the 2012 B Grade Grand Final. From memory I think that guy got about 12 weeks. What a joke. A life sentence for the player is a must, a one year ban for that particular team as it was a group mentality to just fight all day, the coach has to be rubbed out for a year for failing to protect the welfare of opposition players by playing kids that he knew were going to conduct themselves in this manner and finally the club has to be relegated to the bottom division to send a clear message that this crap wont be tolerated in this once great league.

I just happened to be walking past when all the trouble started. I must admit I didn't actually see the start of the game but the 5 minutes I did see was all about Northern Saints players trying to hit push pull dump bash Douttas players at any given opportunity. The crowd were calling for players to be sent off as it was obvious what was eventually going to happen.

After Douttas kicked the ball into their forward line, a melee started in the centre with about 12 players. It was evident very early that the Douttas boys idea of a fight was a push and shove and the Northern Saints guys were intent on actually taking it further which resulted in 1 player being "felled" and then kicked by another player. At this point the two teams were separated and the umpire called off the game. The player that was hit was motionless on the ground for about 20 minutes until the ambulance arrived and wasn't actually loaded for a further 20 minutes.

A couple of police cars and a divisional van arrived and started taking statements for those involved and also the crowd that witnessed the incident. I overheard the Northern Saints coach saying sorry to some officials from Douttas but was disappointed but not surprised when he said it was the same kids every week that give him trouble. For this reason, the entire club should be relegated to Division 2 and fined $20,000. It's no excuse to protect these low life mongrels that have no respect for human life.

The reaction of onlookers could not have been more different. The spectators from Douttas were left bewildered about what they had witnessed. Northern Saints fans, parents, siblings etc were laughing and celebrating like they had some sort of moral victory and wondering what all the fuss was about.

I dare say the EDFL will hit the perpetrator with a wet lettuce leaf like they did the West Coburg player that kicked an Airport West player in the 2012 B Grade Grand Final. From memory I think that guy got about 12 weeks. What a joke. A life sentence for the player is a must, a one year ban for that particular team as it was a group mentality to just fight all day, the coach has to be rubbed out for a year for failing to protect the welfare of opposition players by playing kids that he knew were going to conduct themselves in this manner and finally the club has to be relegated to the bottom division to send a clear message that this crap wont be tolerated in this once great league.

Well what more can you expect from Northern Saints.
Why in the hell, would parents want their kids to play against that mob....remembering, that if you lie down with dogs, you will wake up with fleas!
I trust the league will take a strong position on the reckless actions of the perpetrator, and at the very least.....put the club, on notice!
If similar situations like this occur again, maybe some clubs, will actually boycott NS, and refuse to play against them!

I actually feel sorry for the senior teams from the Northern Saints as I have seen them play about 4 times this year and they are a very fair, hard team who play a great brand of footy. The biggest mistake they made was protecting these lunatics and not kicking them out of the club the moment they knew they were trouble. In junior footy especially its incumbent on the coach and other officials to set the kids on the correct path. They failed dismally on this count.

Not sure if any club can get too high and mighty. The actions of the player is obviously sickening. But by all reports the club is trying to change and take ownership of the issue. It is something that has the potential to ruin their club unless they get on top of it asap. Pretty sure Abers had a player banned for life about 20 odd years ago I think? Douttas had a player attack an umpire and banned for 8 years? And had a player only this year given a huge sentence for breaking a jaw. And there are numerous other examples of individuals tainting clubs.

Northern need to use this as the line in the sand moment to change, but you have to give them the benefit of the doubt and opportunity to do so. Perhaps instead of calling them dogs, some of the more established clubs should be offering ways to work with them to help them. The alternative is what? Just kick them out of the league and the problem will just 'go away'

Not sure if any club can get too high and mighty. The actions of the player is obviously sickening. But by all reports the club is trying to change and take ownership of the issue. It is something that has the potential to ruin their club unless they get on top of it asap. Pretty sure Abers had a player banned for life about 20 odd years ago I think? Douttas had a player attack an umpire and banned for 8 years? And had a player only this year given a huge sentence for breaking a jaw. And there are numerous other examples of individuals tainting clubs.

Well said.... There are incidents at all clubs

I remember an abers junior brawl a few years back involving parents

Northern need to use this as the line in the sand moment to change, but you have to give them the benefit of the doubt and opportunity to do so. Perhaps instead of calling them dogs, some of the more established clubs should be offering ways to work with them to help them. The alternative is what? Just kick them out of the league and the problem will just 'go away'

The club are devastated on what occurred and hope the law throws everything at the perpetrator which is completely unacceptable in today's football and in fact today's society. I understand that a few weeks ago they already started purging from the club players they believed did not want to conform to the specific behavioral requirements set by the club. I was told by an official they tried getting rid of a troublesome parent, parent goes to AFL and EDFL and then the parent finds himself trying to get back to the club. The committee are fuming and bitterly disapointed in the actions of a stupid player not condoned in any way by the club. What the EDFL should be doing is working with them. They are making changes however I know many on the committee themselves have had enough. I find it hard to believe that parents and other siblings were laughing at that terrible act.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club are devastated on what occurred and hope the law throws everything at the perpetrator which is completely unacceptable in today's football and in fact today's society. I understand that a few weeks ago they already started purging from the club players they believed did not want to conform to the specific behavioral requirements set by the club. I was told by an official they tried getting rid of a troublesome parent, parent goes to AFL and EDFL and then the parent finds himself trying to get back to the club. The committee are fuming and bitterly disapointed in the actions of a stupid player not condoned in any way by the club. What the EDFL should be doing is working with them. They are making changes however I know many on the committee themselves have had enough. I find it hard to believe that parents and other siblings were laughing at that terrible act.

Forget this rubbish about 1 individual. The majority of the team were out with 1 thing in mind. Fighting. Absolute crap that the club were trying to stop this kind of activity. If correct there own coach should have dragged the trouble makers because even a ten year old could see what was going to happen. He should have stepped in and called the game off when he saw the intent of his players. Why did the coach comment that "its the same kids every week that cause trouble". They should not have been there if he already knew this and that's why he has to go to.

I've looked on these forums a fair bit and have been happy to read what people have to say, without feeling the need to comment.

However after reading some of the things on here I felt compelled to create an account and add my thoughts.

I have played a lot of football and played under a lot of coaches. Some good and of course some not so good. I must also add that I no longer am involved with the Northern Saints in any way.

The guy who coached the Northern Saints under 18s this year, would have to be one of the most respected, most liked and fairest coaches. No actually change coaches to human beings. I could not speak more highly of him.

I am absolutely 100% positive that almost all of the kids and adults that have been coached by him or in fact come into contact with him would agree.

To those that have reacted angrily to the perpetrator, fair enough. To those angry with the club, you can't really argue with that. But to accuse this man of any wrong doing is just plain unfair, wrong and ill informed. He is a gentleman, and clubman and everything that is great about football. Quite simply he is one of the very best people I have met through football, and like most of you, of that there have been many.

The incident is terrible and horrific but I felt that having read some of the above posts, this needed to be said.

I've looked on these forums a fair bit and have been happy to read what people have to say, without feeling the need to comment.

However after reading some of the things on here I felt compelled to create an account and add my thoughts.

I have played a lot of football and played under a lot of coaches. Some good and of course some not so good. I must also add that I no longer am involved with the Northern Saints in any way.

The guy who coached the Northern Saints under 18s this year, would have to be one of the most respected, most liked and fairest coaches. No actually change coaches to human beings. I could not speak more highly of him.

I am absolutely 100% positive that almost all of the kids and adults that have been coached by him or in fact come into contact with him would agree.

To those that have reacted angrily to the perpetrator, fair enough. To those angry with the club, you can't really argue with that. But to accuse this man of any wrong doing is just plain unfair, wrong and ill informed. He is a gentleman, and clubman and everything that is great about football. Quite simply he is one of the very best people I have met through football, and like most of you, of that there have been many.

The incident is terrible and horrific but I felt that having read some of the above posts, this needed to be said.
Also wondering who was umpiring. From what I have seen over the last few years is that 3rds games umpired by young umpires , very young boundaries , and often girls. Very traumatic on any umps , especially young ones.
Get back on the bike next week and umpire well. All I can add

Played under him some years ago

Absolute great bloke good coach and is great at mentoring young guys

Doutta Stars cop wooden spoon, but president says it might not be a bad thing to go down to Division 1........ http://bit.ly/1pwWFqj

As a passionate Douttas supporter, it was very hard to see the team get relegated. In saying that though we have been fighting to avoid relegation for many years now.
It is a perfect opportunity for the club to take stock and build a plan for the future. When fighting for survival it unfortunately becomes a week by week proposition rather than making calculated decisions for the future. We can now start to make those decisions with a little less pressure.
The committee at Douttas can hold there heads high as the work done off the field has been tremendous. Junior numbers have started to pick up again, a lot of work has been down on the facilities etc.

Not sure how long it will take but Douttas will be back stronger and better than ever.

P.S. Thought we would of coped a bit more of a kicking on here ;).

The suggestion to send them to Div 2 is stupid, if this happen then it would need to be passed down to all teams as well, didn't a Doutta Stars get suspended for 28 weeks earlier this year? Should Doutta be sent to Div 2 as well and fined. There needs to some punishment for the club but other suggestions to ban the coach suspend the coach are also silly. I have never heard a coach say to a player go out there and belt that guy in the head until he can't stand-up.

The player, if found guilty, should not be allowed to play bfooty or any sport again.

Is the Doutta player going to be taking legal action against him?

Woul
As a passionate Douttas supporter, it was very hard to see the team get relegated. In saying that though we have been fighting to avoid relegation for many years now.
It is a perfect opportunity for the club to take stock and build a plan for the future. When fighting for survival it unfortunately becomes a week by week proposition rather than making calculated decisions for the future. We can now start to make those decisions with a little less pressure.
The committee at Douttas can hold there heads high as the work done off the field has been tremendous. Junior numbers have started to pick up again, a lot of work has been down on the facilities etc.

Not sure how long it will take but Douttas will be back stronger and better than ever.

It will be interesting to see how long you stay down for. Over the past 5 years since Oak Park a few year ago, i think all relegated teams from Preimer Division are still in Div 1

Taylors Lakes
West Coburg
Glenroy
Craigiburn
Oak Park

Woul
It will be interesting to see how long you stay down for. Over the past 5 years since Oak Park a few year ago, i think all relegated teams from Preimer Division are still in Div 1

Taylors Lakes
West Coburg
Glenroy
Craigiburn
Oak Park

Yes will be interesting. Wouldn't like to be down there for too long but would hope the club gets everything sorted properly so when we do come back up we will not be making up the numbers.
Ifs and buts are worth nothing but if a couple of results went the other way we could of easily finished 6th or 7th this year. So even though we got relegated where are not a basket case by any stretch.

No one likes to see a team get relegated. I hope West Coburg don't come up.
Would much prefer to play Douttas than a bunch of ferals.

Even from info I got later from Douttas people it was 1 kid to hospital, but it was more precautionary, plus they thought the umps could've set the tone early. Sounds like 1 player in particular should never be allowed on any sporting field again.

footydude67 will probably know a lot more.
The case goes to the tribunal tonight so I think it is inappropriate to make any comment until after the hearing. I'll be more than happy to comment tomorrow but regardless of anything the NS kid is entitled to a fair hearing and the EDSFC kid entitled to say his peace at the tribunal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back