EDFL Premier Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 12, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
EK have recruited a lot of numbers this year. But in saying that a lot of them have shown up as friends of players etc or followed the new coach which tends to always happens with a new coach etc.

Fact is we will be fielding a 19’s and potentially a thirds this year which is awesome. Of the recruits listed I Havnt seen many of them play so can’t really comment but I would say 5-6 are walk in ones players from me just analysing names and not seeing them play, but who am I to say they can’t play ones. Some are reserves, acouple 19’s, some may be 3rds, couple are ex juniors etc etc.

So doubt majority of the 20 odd players that have come along would be commanding big coin.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Bashen if you are going to have thirds make sure they are resourced properly I have a mate who has been involved with the thirds for about 6 years on and off,his biggest problem is not players but the lack of support staff ,When speaking too him about his season last year it as his main grip and it seem's its a common complaint for just about very thirds coach he speaks to .

Bashen if you are going to have thirds make sure they are resourced properly I have a mate who has been involved with the thirds for about 6 years on and off,his biggest problem is not players but the lack of support staff ,When speaking too him about his season last year it as his main grip and it seem's its a common complaint for just about very thirds coach he speaks to .

Cheers for the advice but I have no involvement in the club at that level.

I can defiently see how the lack of support staff would cause head aches though

Cheers for the advice but I have no involvement in the club at that level.

I can defiently see how the lack of support staff would cause head aches though

no you might not but you could give Pat a gentle hint in that direction as its all good to have 3rds and they can be a great learning place for left over seconds and u18s to learn the game plan and develop. also get older heads back playing and being involved with the club , the clubs just has to show it values the 3rds input to the club and then the Skys the limit

What support staff do you need for thirds, what lines coaches, you've gotta be kidding don't you

I'm pretty sure you're right, although it wasn't always the case. It seems to be more pronounced since the salary cap was introduced, although that affects every league. Just not sure what the reason would be.
Well the Calder Cannons haven’t exactly set record numbers over the past 4-5 years so players returning to home clubs is not a major factor

Ek dropped about 20+ points so won’t be as bad as last season id say. But again with players on vfl lists and injuries shouldn’t be an issue.

Rumours are rumours mate. No one’s paying that much a game for someone 35/36 years old.

Still a gun mate people would argue EK have 2 of the top 3 ruckman in local footy mate.

Matty Dennis is not the player he was 5-6 years ago. Not close to one of the top 3 Ruckmen in local footy anymore. Will still be handy. But don't expect that old Dennis.

Matty Dennis is not the player he was 5-6 years ago. Not close to one of the top 3 Ruckmen in local footy anymore. Will still be handy. But don't expect that old Dennis.

Time will tell Mate. Can’t see another EDFL ruckman from another team beating him. He will be more then handy

Lack of oxygen in the skies Trent!
Support - trainers, goal umpires, boundary umpires, water persons!!
Where was line coaches mentioned!

So what do trainers at East Keilor just rock up for the ones? What are the kids dad's doing, it pretty easy to set up a roster to goal umpire, boundary, do drinks isn't it. Says more about a piss poor club culture, money can't buy culture

So what do trainers at East Keilor just rock up for the ones? What are the kids dad's doing, it pretty easy to set up a roster to goal umpire, boundary, do drinks isn't it. Says more about a piss poor club culture, money can't buy culture

What does this have to do with EK I’m confused lol

Father time catches up to us all, in any event a pretty decent player to have giving Stewart a breather.

You all said the same thing about stewy… then he came second in the league bnf first season in Prem and could of possibly won it if he didn’t miss games through injury and suspension.

Pretty sure Dennis is younger then stewy so I’m sure he will hold his own.

But yea stewy and Dennis get to relax for half a game each now and hopefully kick bags lol.

You all said the same thing about stewy… then he came second in the league bnf first season in Prem and could of possibly won it if he didn’t miss games through injury and suspension.

Pretty sure Dennis is younger then stewy so I’m sure he will hold his own.

But yea stewy and Dennis get to relax for half a game each now and hopefully kick bags lol.

Two gun ruckman in one team has a habit of not working. Two old bulls ... which one of the two is prepared to let the other play more time on ball? 50/50 Might sound good pre-season but it is an unusual situation. Stewart tutoring a young ruckman might have worked better? Good luck to EK getting Dennis in as well. Hopefully it will work for coach, players and club.

Two gun ruckman in one team has a habit of not working. Two old bulls ... which one of the two is prepared to let the other play more time on ball? 50/50 Might sound good pre-season but it is an unusual situation. Stewart tutoring a young ruckman might have worked better? Good luck to EK getting Dennis in as well. Hopefully it will work for coach, players and club.
You don't want Dennis playing forward. It's probably the one thing he can't do. He was horrible at Bundoora when they tried him there. Interesting mix. Time will tell if it works.
He is 37 next year. So the end comes quickly, for big fellas especially.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't want Dennis playing forward. It's probably the one thing he can't do. He was horrible at Bundoora when they tried him there. Interesting mix. Time will tell if it works.
He is 37 next year. So the end comes quickly, for big fellas especially.
Big fellas don't seem to come to the end that quick, they don't get any shorter do they? Ryan O'Sullivan another champion ruck was still going strong last year at 42

You know Stewart and Dennis have played in the same team together and won flags at Marby right. Worked quite well lol

And Stewart was coaching a young ruckman last season in Rayner.

Dennis played on a wing. Didn’t play in the ruck.

My point exactly.. someone said two big men cant play together...... they have played together and been successful doing so. How can anyone think Stewart and Dennis rotating ruck could be a bad thing, think Stewart wants to run out a full game in the ruck at his age? Lol Dennis too?

Just means no matter what at any given point in the game EK will have a dominant ruckman and example Stewart resting forward lol would be the best FF in the comp if he played out a season there he’s unplayable….Stupidest thing I have heard in my life. If you don’t agree your brain dead.

Last edited:
My point exactly.. someone said two big men cant play together...... they have played together and been successful doing so. How can anyone think Stewart and Dennis rotating ruck could be a bad thing, think Stewart wants to run out a full game in the ruck at his age? Lol Dennis too?

Just means no matter what at any given point in the game EK will have a dominant ruckman and example Stewart resting forward lol would be the best FF in the comp if he played out a season there he’s unplayable….Stupidest thing I have heard in my life. If you don’t agree your brain dead.

I’ve got to disagree with you. I believe strathmore have the best ruckman / ruck duo . Vavra and bollinghous. They kick goals and give our midfielders first use of the ball. Clearly we’re the best as they went all the way. Not brain dead just facts

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’ve got to disagree with you. I believe strathmore have the best ruckman / ruck duo . Vavra and bollinghous. They kick goals and give our midfielders first use of the ball. Clearly we’re the best as they went all the way. Not brain dead just facts

Time will tell clearly they have not played against Stewart and Dennis yet!

That’s some serious dribble 🤦‍♂️
We talking last year now? The topic was Dennis and stewy playing together in the season coming.
But yeah vavra and bollinghaus both better ruckman then stewy for sure . This is laughable stewy and Meese on their own dominated both of them mate running out full games on their own. They went all the way because you had the best team…. Not the best ruckman.

Since we’re talking last year though Ek didn’t have a “ruck duo” last season mate it was just Stewy. Lockie missed like Half the season through injury plus acouple Vfl games. When he did play he would mainly play a lock down defender role which he did very well. Stewy did 90% of ruck work, bongo or Lockie would give him a 5 min spell here and there.

And re kicking goals... Vavra kicked 8 goals in 21 games.... Stewart kicked 14 goals in 15 games playing 95% in the ruck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back