EDFL Premier Division

Remove this Banner Ad

Follow a lot of local footy and I see a good article at herald sun local sport site about Keilor Football Club and the strong chance of 4 juniors getting drafted as well as Browne from seniors.This would be a great achievement in my eyes and shows senior premierships are not the only thing a club is judged by.Hope one of you can post a link to article as I have nfi.

Don't they have shared toilets & if so what's wrong with that or do a few players get stage fright before a big game.
Basic change room requirements should be
Enough space to get ready
3 to 4 showers with hot water & toilets
Rub down table
Might have been okay in the 80s but not acceptable anymore, also with the amount of female umpires getting about it should be mandatory to provide a seperate shower/change area for the girls.

It's not just change rooms where EDFL falls way behind but also social facilities, have a look at clubs like Barwon Heads, Torquay' Darley, Sunbury, Sorrento etc. These clubs ensure that the social rooms are a key part of there footy club and provide a great environment for there supporters. I wonder if this is because they have Netball clubs and the clubs become a community for the whole family rather than just a few blokes to collect a couple of hundred having a kick on a Saturday arvo.

Might have been okay in the 80s but not acceptable anymore, also with the amount of female umpires getting about it should be mandatory to provide a seperate shower/change area for the girls.

It's not just change rooms where EDFL falls way behind but also social facilities, have a look at clubs like Barwon Heads, Torquay' Darley, Sunbury, Sorrento etc. These clubs ensure that the social rooms are a key part of there footy club and provide a great environment for there supporters. I wonder if this is because they have Netball clubs and the clubs become a community for the whole family rather than just a few blokes to collect a couple of hundred having a kick on a Saturday arvo.
I was only talking about the visitors rooms, yes they should have separate facilities for any female officials & clubs you mentioned above are all country clubs with netball teams,so of course there got the facilities to accommodate female officials

Follow a lot of local footy and I see a good article at herald sun local sport site about Keilor Football Club and the strong chance of 4 juniors getting drafted as well as Browne from seniors.This would be a great achievement in my eyes and shows senior premierships are not the only thing a club is judged by.Hope one of you can post a link to article as I have nfi.

Link

Damien Cavka met Jayden Laverde when they were six, and would turn up to games already wearing their shorts, boots and jumpers. Of course, they became best friends: they both loved to play football, and that was all it took. Then, Cavka played centre half-forward and Laverde was smart, fast and exciting, much like he is now. Corey Ellis joined their Keilor team two years later and was voted best player in four grand finals - all up, he played in eight straight flags. He recruited Paul Ahern to the under-16 team because he had been left on the bench at his old club, wasn't sure how good he was, and was thinking about playing more basketball.

Pretty sure all 4 of this years boys have featured in AuckMel's team of the year at some stage.

Why would you roll out the red carpet for visiting teams, l would just give them the basics & if anything make your home rooms the best in the league
Can we just take a moment and look past the over paid paddock players and put some thought into children as young as 8 both boys and girls that a toilet and some simple hygine wouldn't go astray Greenvale 10/10 Strathmore -10/10

Don't they have shared toilets & if so what's wrong with that or do a few players get stage fright before a big game.
Rub down table
If the edfl want to be the best metropolitan league then it should be better.
Can't have both teams sharing amenities with the punters either. Keep it separate. Its 2014 not 1985.

Rub down table
Can't have both teams sharing amenities with the punters either. Keep it separate. Its 2014 not 1985.

Well maybe you & your mates @ abers could take a 10% pay cut to help build new amenities that should be at least $50,000 towards them

Local Rag this week has Mighty Mick talking about the importance of development which clearly cannot be argued and is 100% correct. He also talks about the silly season and money being offered as over inflated which is putting a huge strain on the ageing and shrinking volunteers at each club. Again I don't think anyone could argue this as it's 100% correct.
What I didn't see is any comments of the inflated costs coaches receive these days that is also putting financial strains on clubs and their valued volunteers?

Both the Maric brothers have returned to Greenvale from Werribee (that probably was a given) and has also recruited Tom Hill who was at the GWS and the Bulldogs a few years back for next season.

Can we just take a moment and look past the over paid paddock players and put some thought into children as young as 8 both boys and girls that a toilet and some simple hygine wouldn't go astray Greenvale 10/10 Strathmore -10/10

I don't disagree with the comments levelled at our club regarding amenities and all I can say is that it's definitely high on the agenda and currently being looked at.

I have to take umbrage though at the 10/10 comment regarding Strathmore's away rooms - without doubt they're one of the worst in the league.

The broken seats from the old Ponsford Stand and broken shower heads don't help but no club hold a candle to the old rooms at Douttas back in the day - they were unbelievably bad!

Note for future renovators though - any danger of keeping new shower blocks communal - the new setup at Keilor and older setup at Northern Saints certainly doesn't lead itself to post game banter and shower cans!

Individual cubicles are perhaps a sign of the times or some knucklehead interior designer who never played the game?

I don't disagree with the comments levelled at our club regarding amenities and all I can say is that it's definitely high on the agenda and currently being looked at.

I have to take umbrage though at the 10/10 comment regarding Strathmore's away rooms - without doubt they're one of the worst in the league.

The broken seats from the old Ponsford Stand and broken shower heads don't help but no club hold a candle to the old rooms at Douttas back in the day - they were unbelievably bad!

Note for future renovators though - any danger of keeping new shower blocks communal - the new setup at Keilor and older setup at Northern Saints certainly doesn't lead itself to post game banter and shower cans!

Individual cubicles are perhaps a sign of the times or some knucklehead interior designer who never played the game?
I think that's actually a minus score that Outbackhack37 has given for Strathmore's change rooms?
Reads -10/10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Local Rag this week has Mighty Mick talking about the importance of development which clearly cannot be argued and is 100% correct. He also talks about the silly season and money being offered as over inflated which is putting a huge strain on the ageing and shrinking volunteers at each club. Again I don't think anyone could argue this as it's 100% correct.
What I didn't see is any comments of the inflated costs coaches receive these days that is also putting financial strains on clubs and their valued volunteers?
Fair suck of the sauce bottle.In my eyes the coach puts in more work and planning than any player and deserves to be rewarded for it.I take it your having a backhanded dig at Mcguane?Some coaches may be on less(I dont know) but many very average players are getting stupid $$$$ yet you single out coaches?Would be a few coaches on less money than the top players which I reckons wrong but if the coach is happy with that scenario thats all that matters.

Fair suck of the sauce bottle.In my eyes the coach puts in more work and planning than any player and deserves to be rewarded for it.I take it your having a backhanded dig at Mcguane?Some coaches may be on less(I dont know) but many very average players are getting stupid $$$$ yet you single out coaches?Would be a few coaches on less money than the top players which I reckons wrong but if the coach is happy with that scenario thats all that matters.

I agree mate. The one think Mick seems to be doing is building from within. That's very rare for anyone to do in this league ATM except maybe for strath who apparently have a lot of players that played at the club for years. I reckon in 5 years time keilor will have a lot of very good young players that will be homegrown and be challenging for a flag. For him to do what he is doin is putting the club first instead of going out there spending a load of money and be driven by his ego. He is a very smart operator and will be looked apon from people within the club that has started there success when he was coaching. Ps I'm not even a keilor fan.

I agree mate. The one think Mick seems to be doing is building from within. That's very rare for anyone to do in this league ATM except maybe for strath who apparently have a lot of players that played at the club for years. I reckon in 5 years time keilor will have a lot of very good young players that will be homegrown and be challenging for a flag. For him to do what he is doin is putting the club first instead of going out there spending a load of money and be driven by his ego. He is a very smart operator and will be looked apon from people within the club that has started there success when he was coaching. Ps I'm not even a keilor fan.

McGuane putting the club first instead of going out there spending a load of money and be driven by his ego.......really?? He would be spending every cent that the club give him as a player budget. He is working to the parameters that is set for him by the player budget allocation. The question is, what percentage of the player budget is he commanding for himself as coach? Most clubs would allocate around 10%-15% of player budget on coaching. What is Keilor's?

Last edited:
Put it another way, how many blokes would put in 20-30 hrs a week for 40 weeks of the year for $7000-$40,000 to coach a footy club and deal with some absolute spankers amongst many good men both on and off-field?
Its a good point. Often look on at some coaches in awe of what they put up with and they certainly deserve their pay. Having said that I know several coaches who do it for free or close to. Love their club so put their wage back into the playing budget. It's not unheard of. I think with someone like McGuane it's a balancing act. He clearly improves what he has but they have still not pushed for a flag in a little while. Gotta weigh it up a bit.

Spending big on a coach doesn't guarantee anything either. I know at my current club our former coach was well paid but put in less than 8 hours a week. The current one would do 30-40 hours for nothing like the wage the old coach received. Really need to know what you're getting when you appoint a coach.

I think that's actually a minus score that Outbackhack37 has given for Strathmore's change rooms?
Reads -10/10.
Good to see some debate re rooms etc.
Maybe some re "family " friendly atmosphere at EDFL. Not exactly that at Abers V west Coburg etc.
"Real" football clubs will get the jump on Oz rules clubs if junior girls / mums made feel at home. Money will follow the crowd.
Plus ground surfaces. Hope kielor have finally filled the two pot holes half way down the back straight at the Gift track.
Are grounds watered over the summer?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back