EDFL Premier Division

Remove this Banner Ad

They haven't got it right for all theses years, gotta tell YA this year will be no different

Seriously they don't recruit good character or quality long term players

Name one for me?????

The sooner they get the internal model right and focus on developing their own the better

Blake, patak, hislops, johns, cubillo, Davis, reimers, as examples
Cubillo is of outstanding character. Thats why he's captain.
The internal promotion of developing youth over the past two seasons has yielded many abers juniors into the senior squad but with a stroke of a pen the board have gone in a different direction. Hallinan was the mastermind in the promotion process of the successful U18's but he is no longer at the club.

Jeez looking at Shannon Grant's CV Greenvale fans would have to be very pleased. Great get. You would no doubt have pretty high hopes bluejet?
Can you enlighten us all 'Prophetic' on Shannon Grant's recent past history that is listed on his CV!

Has he had any success when coaching in his own right?

In my opinion there is three contributing factors that all clubs need to have as part of their CLUB structure as they strive for sustained success of the ultimate kind:
1. Finances to be amongst the top five spending clubs, enabling to put in place a competitive list.
2. To have a successful club coach in place who has the ability to coach against opposition coaches.
3. Quality junior programs to enable the ability to develop from within.

With all three in place, you would imagine that club would be in a position for sustained success of the ultimate kind, some clubs have managed the ultimate success in the past with two of the three in place but have they been able to or will they sustain it.

In the recent past Greenvale has been the only club that has been able to get it right, creating a CLUB structure that has provided all three contributing factors, hence the sustained success they have been able to enjoy for close to a decade now.

Strathmore, Maribyrnong Park and Keilor have been able to taste success of the ultimate kind with two of the contributing factors in place.

Aberfeldie have fallen short in recent years with only two of the contributing factors in place!

The fact is results and results only will show which clubs get there CLUB structure right.

Interesting times ahead for some clubs.

Just had a glance at the EDFL website, had a long list of VFL/AFL experience at Essendon and Western Bulldogs to name a couple. So on face value seems a very good choice and one which will probably see GV back at the top.

Just 3 things for success, its so simple.

Just had a glance at the EDFL website, had a long list of VFL/AFL experience at Essendon and Western Bulldogs to name a couple. So on face value seems a very good choice and one which will probably see GV back at the top.

Just 3 things for success, its so simple.

I'm not to sure whether just because a candidate, who has VFL/AFL experience, all of a sudden becomes a very good choice on face value for any club, AFL clubs included, hence why I said interesting times ahead for some clubs! Especially those that are spending large amounts of money.

I don't recall mentioning the word 'simple' in any of my posts 'Prophetic', in fact I remember mentioning that success of the ultimate kind is mighty hard to achieve, hence the fact that CLUB structures are extremely important for the longevity of any club, in the end it falls back on to the volunteers of each club to get it right if they are to be any chance of achieving the ultimate success.

As for '3 things for success', I think we all know there are a lot more ingredients than that required, I think you may have misread what I said, I mentioned in my opinion there were "three contributing factors", that I hoped, clubs would be taking in to consideration in the overall structure of their CLUB as they strive for sustained success.

Just tongue and cheek "Shadow Master". I can only assume the Jets have done their due diligence and see him as the right fit for their club. They definitely got Anthony Rock spot on. 301 AFL games isn't bad on the CV either. Who knows it might go c*nt up, but 'on face value', looks like a good get.

Would Brock McLean be one of the names, Abers junior who is unlikely to be playing AFL and still with plenty to offer.

Other delisted AFL players that would make sense could be Brent Maloney, Campbell Brown, Brett Goodes,
None of the for-mentioned players were there and Brock has another 1 year deal at Carlton

Just tongue and cheek "Shadow Master". I can only assume the Jets have done their due diligence and see him as the right fit for their club. They definitely got Anthony Rock spot on. 301 AFL games isn't bad on the CV either. Who knows it might go c*nt up, but 'on face value', looks like a good get.
You are right there 'Prophetic', Greenvale definitely got it right when appointing Anthony Rock, he was able to deliver the ultimate success not only once, but on two occasions and on both occasions Greenvale was the less fancied team in 'The Big Dance', he simply out coached the opposition coach on both occasions. A key contributing factor.

I'm not to sure whether just because a candidate, who has VFL/AFL experience, all of a sudden becomes a very good choice on face value for any club, AFL clubs included, hence why I said interesting times ahead for some clubs! Especially those that are spending large amounts of money.

I don't recall mentioning the word 'simple' in any of my posts 'Prophetic', in fact I remember mentioning that success of the ultimate kind is mighty hard to achieve, hence the fact that CLUB structures are extremely important for the longevity of any club, in the end it falls back on to the volunteers of each club to get it right if they are to be any chance of achieving the ultimate success.

As for '3 things for success', I think we all know there are a lot more ingredients than that required, I think you may have misread what I said, I mentioned in my opinion there were "three contributing factors", that I hoped, clubs would be taking in to consideration in the overall structure of their CLUB as they strive for sustained success.
A couple of fellas who have played under Grant previously have signaled an interest in following him to the Jets, so if nothing else it's indicative of being able to gain the respect of the playing group.
The idea that the AFL/Coaches will be better stems from the fact that they've been entrusted with the development of blokes on more money than an entire local footy sides budget, so it's in their best interest to make sure they get those decisions spot on. Ultimately whether he's a great coach or otherwise will be exposed in time but I'd certainly back in a bloke who has had a number of head coaching gigs at a higher level.:thumbsu:

On another note, it seems there'll be a few departures from both APW and Avondale, along with the other rumoured departures a couple of blokes have indicated an interest in playing their footy at Eureka stadium next year..

Do you think there is much benefit in having VFL top up players, or is it more disruptive to the side having players come in and out of the side each week?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you think there is much benefit in having VFL top up players, or is it more disruptive to the side having players come in and out of the side each week?
They are very handy if they play regularly. Otherwise, it can be a management nightmare and cause player unrest.

As with all recruitment, it depends on the player and depends on the fit. If it leaves people disgruntled at being forced out for a guy with no real tie to the club you'd say it isn't really worth it but if players are accepting of it you can obviously slot a handy player or two into your side come finals time..

As with all recruitment, it depends on the player and depends on the fit. If it leaves people disgruntled at being forced out for a guy with no real tie to the club you'd say it isn't really worth it but if players are accepting of it you can obviously slot a handy player or two into your side come finals time..
To be honest it doesn't work as Abers showed in the 2013 Grand Final with 6 players coming in after their 2nd semi final win

Larkins and the "brains trust" doing some potential recruiting at Cafe Denaro this morning - couple of good recruits if they get them
Sounds like Aberfeldie's list manager is still shopping at 'The Laurel'! Whilst just across the road at 'Dan Murphy's', you may have to shop a bit deeper but there is plenty of the same product that would give you the same results except the price is much cheaper!

All clubs should have a clear selection criteria in place for all to see, taking in to account key factors such as positional requirements, skill acquisition, physical and mental fitness levels, versatility and consistency levels along with character before ability!

VFL top up players, listed and qualified to play with any local club should be afforded such an opportunity, if they fall in line with that clubs selection criteria, all members of that club should have easy access to the selection criteria and it should be adhered to at all times, no exceptions, then and only then there shouldn't be an issue.

All clubs should have a clear selection criteria in place for all to see, taking in to account key factors such as positional requirements, skill acquisition, physical and mental fitness levels, versatility and consistency levels along with character before ability!

VFL top up players, listed and qualified to play with any local club should be afforded such an opportunity, if they fall in line with that clubs selection criteria, all members of that club should have easy access to the selection criteria and it should be adhered to at all times, no exceptions, then and only then there shouldn't be an issue.

That sounds like a whole lot of HR jargon, anyway my point wasn't on upsetting players more the actual benefit or lack of it that comes with having a player come in and out of a side who isn't used to structures and the players around them, I can't really remember a player that has come in and made such a significant difference to make me think it is really worthwhile. You also have to question when it gets tough in finals do these players really care that much when they are just blow ins and haven't stood side by side with there mates on the way to playing finals.

That sounds like a whole lot of HR jargon, anyway my point wasn't on upsetting players more the actual benefit or lack of it that comes with having a player come in and out of a side who isn't used to structures and the players around them, I can't really remember a player that has come in and made such a significant difference to make me think it is really worthwhile. You also have to question when it gets tough in finals do these players really care that much when they are just blow ins and haven't stood side by side with there mates on the way to playing finals.
It may sound like a whole lot of jargon to some! 'ItsAllAboutMe', but I'm sure to anyone who has held a position on a selection panel at any club of note would totally understand the supposed jargon.

When considering the 'level of mental fitness' of the player in question, it is here, that consideration would be given to the players level of knowledge of team structures and his team mates around him. On your point of questioning the players level of intent when the going gets tough and his willingness to have a team first ethos, this would be considered when factoring in 'character before ability'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back