Employment & Career Guidance: In Honor Reykjavik 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not exactly a skill, but I deal Blackjack and American Roulette for a living. Official title would be croupier.

I can also give you a lesson in the art of FIFA lol.

What an absolute classic thread! I had quite a few laughs reading this.

Well, my skills lie in that most important of areas for footy fans...I'm a TV repair guru! After a decade in Her Majesty's finest (the RAN) fixing radars, radios and anything else electronic that breaks on a ship I decided it was time to grow and get a real job. Now I have the dubious honour of working for Nielsens as a Field Tech for the TV ratings section.

What an absolute classic thread! I had quite a few laughs reading this.

Well, my skills lie in that most important of areas for footy fans...I'm a TV repair guru! After a decade in Her Majesty's finest (the RAN) fixing radars, radios and anything else electronic that breaks on a ship I decided it was time to grow and get a real job. Now I have the dubious honour of working for Nielsens as a Field Tech for the TV ratings section.

So we can hold you indirectly responsible for reality TV?

I'm currently a facilities manager for a non-profit organisation but looking to study a bachelor of physiotherapy next year with hope of joining a professional sports team. I've sat the SATAC and will hear from universities in January.

I'm currently a facilities manager for a non-profit organisation but looking to study a bachelor of physiotherapy next year with hope of joining a professional sports team. I've sat the SATAC and will hear from universities in January.
Here's hoping... Good luck!

And thanks Bring_Back_Brad for the 'bump' :)

*BUMP

Hi All - As you know this has been a difficult week for the BF Magpie Community with the announcement of the passing of a much respected poster Reykjavic after his courageous battle with illness.

One of the boards most respected posters, Reykjavic was an articulate and widely knowledgeable poster with an incredible insight into many things in and outside of football. He had a way with words that many of us here could only admire whilst still remaining grounded, funny and quick witted.

Reykjavic was always there to help and to provide guidance for all involved here and inspired and encouraged many to follow their aspirations and life choices.

This thread has been around for a while. The OP Old Spice originally had a great idea that has the potential to provide so much benefit to many here in seeking employment, changing careers or just after some general advice from many in here with so much life experience to give like Reyk.

The idea is for any poster to add a few words about what they do employment wise or have done and any study or life experience that others on our board can tap into. Only has to be brief and as we go we'll update the OP so if anyone wants some information they can just go straight there.

Also, if you do have any opportunities or vacancies, here might also be a good place just to puts a heads up because if we can help just one fellow magpie doing it hard, I'm sure Reykjavic will look down on us with a smile noting a job well done.

Look back through the thread, it really would be one that Reykjavic would've been proud off, it has a bit of everything. Keep this enjoyable and in good spirits and when ready we'll move it to the nest for all to tap into.

Me - well. No schooling experience. Drop out at at year 11, Avionics Technician Air Force, Marine Electronics, Ship Manager, Airborne Suveillance Operator, Project Manager and now Business Development manager. Happy to help out for any Defence, Customs or Construction/Mining/Offshore related.

Special mention to ppoiter for this great idea. My apologies PP for leaving you off.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry to hear about Reyjavik's passing.
Best wishes to his family and Hopefully the Pies can get up in his honour this week.

NT.Thunder

Funnily enough, I have been considering the Defence Force the past few days, just as a backup plan.

I had a look on their website this morning but it's uh, not very clear as to what the step by step process is.

Like... do you need to first do basic training? How long is it? At what point do you get to choose what you want to do? Can you even choose? Is it all in Australia or do you have to be sent somewhere? Do you get paid while training or after? What kind of checkups do they do on application?

Don't have to answer all of them.

Work for the federal government in Canberra on data cleansing and analysis (yes it's as boring as it sounds).

Previous life had a 7 year career in Hospitality (mainly hotels).

Collect Phantom comics and memorabilia.

Train in Brazilian Jiu-jitsu.

My eldest child (daughter) knows our theme song and always makes me tell her if Collingwood won the previous day/night. When I told her we lost to Port she said "Stupid Port Adelaide". This makes me feel like an awesome parent.

Last edited:
NT.Thunder

Funnily enough, I have been considering the Defence Force the past few days, just as a backup plan.

I had a look on their website this morning but it's uh, not very clear as to what the step by step process is.

Like... do you need to first do basic training? How long is it? At what point do you get to choose what you want to do? Can you even choose? Is it all in Australia or do you have to be sent somewhere? Do you get paid while training or after? What kind of checkups do they do on application?

Don't have to answer all of them.
It's been over 25 years since I first joined the Defence Force and things have definitely changed. you used to pretty much walk in to a recruiting centre where a recruiting adviser would tell you what jobs were open and then off you go to basic training after a few quick medical and aptitude tests.

Now I believe you need to sit what's called a YOU (Your Opportunities Unlimited) session which includes aptitude test, medical interview and quick chat with a careers adviser again to see what you might be interested in. I'd suggest you first work out a) what service you want to join (Army, Navy, RAAF) and b) what career you would be interested in. If you go in and say you don't care, don't be surprised if you end up as a soldier or Bosuns mate, not that there is anything wrong with that. If you want something specific, make sure you tell them.

Pretty sure now days you know exactly what job you are going to before you head to basic training. Army I think used to do basic and then be sent out to individual corps depending on what they needed at the time. You can also change jobs, called remuster or transfer once you've finished your trade or initial job training.

Basic training used to be around 10 weeks and for the RAAF it was located in S.A. but I believe this may now be in Wagga Wagga where the Army also do basic training. Navy is at Cerberus on the beautiful East Coast of Mornington Peninsular.

make sure if you know what you want to do, then you look at a) where you might end up being posted, and remember that you could be posted to somewhere for a very long time so make sure you like the place and b) how long type specific training might be. Some training course could be upwards of 2-3 years.

It's a great career IMO for those not sure on what they want to do. Really have some idea what you want and where you want to be though. You do travel the world and you do make great life long friends like nothing you could imagine. I struggled to adjust when I left the defence because I didn't have my mates there near me.

All your training will be in Australia pretty much, you get paid from the day you sign your life away to god the flag or the queen whatever your preference and once you've done the hard yards over the first year or so, it's pretty cruisy.

My advice is to head into a Defence Force recruiting agency, located in all capital cities and most major regional centres and have a chat with someone in uniform. They are structured to just take walk ins and point them in the right direction and I'm sure you'll come out with a clear idea on what,where and when in relation to joining up.

Good luck with it if you do go this way, highly recommend it, but not for everyone.

TheFreshBanana Which service are you thinking about joining? Any ideas on what sort of job?
Absolutely no clue.

I was thinking of it because if uni falls through, I thought the army would be a good way to sort of get some sort of direction in my life with some rigidity and structure.

But I checked my results this morning and passed, so I'll continue with it in semester 2 and go from there. Not sure if I'm someone that has the capacity to sit down study, retain information and then practically use it so I thought the army might be a bit different. A bit more hands on. I get anxiety with studying as well, but yeah, like I said I passed so hopefully I can improve just a little more and more each semester.

I'm doing Nursing so I suppose that's something I can possibly use when or if I graduate.

Honestly, I have no clue if my Nursing degree falls through. Was a bit stressed out in regards to finding out my results but when I thought of the Army it did provide a bit of relief knowing I may have that as a backup.

Although my history with depression and anxiety should be documented somewhere in my medical records with the GP. Also leg injuries. No clue if they may or may not factor that in during application.

Absolutely no clue.

I was thinking of it because if uni falls through, I thought the army would be a good way to sort of get some sort of direction in my life with some rigidity and structure.

But I checked my results this morning and passed, so I'll continue with it in semester 2 and go from there. Not sure if I'm someone that has the capacity to sit down study, retain information and then practically use it so I thought the army might be a bit different. A bit more hands on. I get anxiety with studying as well, but yeah, like I said I passed so hopefully I can improve just a little more and more each semester.

I'm doing Nursing so I suppose that's something I can possibly use when or if I graduate.

Honestly, I have no clue if my Nursing degree falls through. Was a bit stressed out in regards to finding out my results but when I thought of the Army it did provide a bit of relief knowing I may have that as a backup.

Although my history with depression and anxiety should be documented somewhere in my medical records with the GP. Also leg injuries. No clue if they may or may not factor that in during application.
You could probably join any of the three services as a Nursing Officer and have the Defence Force pay for your education. Might be worth asking about. Get paid to study, you would just have to give a ROSO (return of service obligation) which is usually 1.5 times the training time I think.

In regards to what you disclose and don't disclose that's up to you. I'm not sure how the Defence Force look at each persons history and no doubt it would depend on the role. I disclosed something which I shouldn't have when I joined the RAAF and ended up having to wait a few months before applying again, little bit of recreation pot use at school but I've always been up front and honest.....Shouldn't have been though. I told the Doctor a couple of years ago that I was tired and run down during a tough period during my work. Traveling alot and 60 hour weeks, just the normal run down and I ended up having a caveat put on my Health Insurance that void me from claiming anything to do with Mental Illness as I was now high risk. I fought this and ended up getting it struck but it does show you need to be careful what you disclose. This I was told by the health insurance companies nurse also.

Project Manager - what a great thread :)
Are you PRINCE, PMI, AIPM, PMP or have any affiliation?

I'm wondering whether I should look into heading down these one of these paths. I've just done the basic Diploma training with AIM and OJT but I see a lot of people ask for PRINCE or similar now days?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back