First Test Squad Announced

Remove this Banner Ad

What is the difference between 5 and 6?

Especially since he has batted at 3 last year.

I would have no problems bringing in Burns at 4 for instance and he's being opening.

Different game situations. Number 6's have to have an ability to face the 2nd new ball from ball 1, they are basically your '3rd opener'. Look at Hussey playing that role, although he batted 5 as well. Was elite in the number 6 role. I don't care what he did last year, he has been more successful this year at number 6. I rate the bloke, I have him in my test side in 2 years time. I don't think he is ready now.

Different game situations. Number 6's have to have an ability to face the 2nd new ball from ball 1, they are basically your '3rd opener'. Look at Hussey playing that role, although he batted 5 as well. Was elite in the number 6 role. I don't care what he did last year, he has been more successful this year at number 6. I rate the bloke, I have him in my test side in 2 years time. I don't think he is ready now.

Handscomb is only batting at 6 just because.

He's not actually a number 6.

Steve Smith was brought back into the test team at number 6.

I understand the fact that middle order players are often unsuited to play in the top order. Handscomb isn't one of those players and he'll soon find himself in the Victorian top order.

That said he shouldn't play because I don't think he's ready yet. This is his first real 'breakthrough' season and it's not even half a season yet

Handscomb is only batting at 6 just because.

He's not actually a number 6.

Steve Smith was brought back into the test team at number 6.

I understand the fact that middle order players are often unsuited to play in the top order. Handscomb isn't one of those players and he'll soon find himself in the Victorian top order.

That said he shouldn't play because I don't think he's ready yet. This is his first real 'breakthrough' season and it's not even half a season yet

He was named to bat at 3 this round in the shield. Has batted anywhere for Victoria from 3 to 6 since his debut.

Not sure why Luke Parker seems to think he is batting 7 though.

To me it seems like Victoria have not managed Handscomb very well. From what I have seen and heard he is a pretty ordinary keeper. Surely plonking him at 3 without the gloves would be ideal for him moving forward.
He's not a keeper, but to get a game he's had to do it. Same with Wade, not a natural keeper. Handscomb is a very good bat.

If the selectors give players the option of opting out for the 1st test does anyone actually see anyone taking up the offer or not?

Who knows really. It is a personal decision. Depends on how close each player is with Hughes I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always put his head down and worked as hard as possible to improve himself when ever he got dropped instead of whinging and getting his media mates involved
On technique - I think he was poorly advised - he and M Clarke shared a coach for many years - hence the relationship - as a bloke - no one has ever said a bad word about him.

On technique - I think he was poorly advised - he and M Clarke shared a coach for many years - hence the relationship - as a bloke - no one has ever said a bad word about him.
Neil D'Costa.

The two and Starc are all Wests boys. Not a bad effort to have three blokes in the test team at once when they were all in there.

Neil D'Costa.

The two and Starc are all Wests boys. Not a bad effort to have three blokes in the test team at once when they were all in there.
Can anyone else think of an instance one club producing three test players for the same game? Was there a third from Glenelg(?) when Ian and Greg Chappell played or a third from Bankstown with the Waugh brothers?

If the selectors give players the option of opting out for the 1st test does anyone actually see anyone taking up the offer or not?

bit hard to tell really as no matter how close people are to hughes they will all react in their own way, one bloke may want privacy and can't think about cricket another will want to smash a ton just for phil.

Can anyone else think of an instance one club producing three test players for the same game? Was there a third from Glenelg(?) when Ian and Greg Chappell played or a third from Bankstown with the Waugh brothers?
St George in Sydney over the years would for sure I reckon. They're team of the century is incredible. I'll dig it up.

There was one test Australia played not long ago where 3 clubs covered 7 players. 3 from Wests as above, 2 from Easts (Warner, Haddin) and 2 from Dandenong (Siddle, Pattinson).

St George in Sydney over the years would for sure I reckon. They're team of the century is incredible. I'll dig it up.

There was one test Australia played not long ago where 3 clubs covered 7 players. 3 from Wests as above, 2 from Easts (Warner, Haddin) and 2 from Dandenong (Siddle, Pattinson).
Cool, but I'm more leaning towards clubs who developed those players. Not players from the country or other cities who moved there.

Arthur Morris, Les Favell, Sir Don Bradman, Norm O'Neill, Brian Booth, Alan Fairfax, Nathan Pilon(Wk), Murray Bennett, Ray Lindwall, Kerry O'Keeffe, Bill O'Reilly, Stephen Bernard (12).

Cool, but I'm more leaning towards clubs who developed those players. Not players from the country or other cities who moved there.
Couldn't tell you as it's a bit harder to keep track of junior clubs. I don't know how it works in other cities but some of the Sydney clubs don't have a specific junior club, rather an organisation with several smaller clubs that feed into it. Sutherland is an example of that, and I think St George is too... Easts and Randwick have junior clubs along with others in the area that make up the South Eastern comp. Every club will have an u/16 green shield team which is the first point of contact with the senior club.

In that period South Eastern Sydney Association developed Warner, Cowan and Khawaja. Warner and Cowan at Easts before Cowan moved to Sydney Uni and on to Tassie, Khawaja has been at Randwick his whole life now.

It's all a bit complex now cause there are so many competitions. My nephew has stopped playing club cricket at 14 through burnout, which is massively disappointing. 20/20 with this team here, main club comp on Saturday there, school cricket, representative cricket. It was enough to make your head spin. But that is all for another thread.

The local paper here suggests that Shaun Marsh has been attending all the meetings and staying with the Australian test squad and is essentially de facto in the squad.

It must be remembered that Marsh had had a pretty good start to the season with two centuries and a test century earlier this year and could have well made the team even if the tragic accident did not occur

The local paper here suggests that Shaun Marsh has been attending all the meetings and staying with the Australian test squad and is essentially de facto in the squad.

It must be remembered that Marsh had had a pretty good start to the season with two centuries and a test century earlier this year and could have well made the team even if the tragic accident did not occur
I thought he was going to be picked even before this tragedy so that's not surprising.

Last edited:
The two guys that are chances to make their debuts are Ferguson and Hazlewood. I don't think it would be fair to name a debutant in the next test, particularly in the last batting spot. But it does look like S Marsh will be in.

Regardless I don't think it would be appropriate to have any celebratory cap handouts this summer.

The two guys that are chances to make their debuts are Ferguson and Hazlewood. I don't think it would be fair to name a debutant in the next test, particularly in the last batting spot. But it does look like S Marsh will be in.

Regardless I don't think it would be appropriate to have any celebratory cap handouts this summer.

To me Ferguson was behind Marsh even before Marsh scored 130*.

I do hope that whoever does play, that we do recognise that they did get selected on their own merit

Remove this Banner Ad

Back