Strategy Fixing the Midfield for 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Blair kicked two more goals then Goldsack and the Sack played 1/2 the season in defence. Despite Blair's diminutive size he is neither a good crumber nor a good ball winner. The only thing he brings to the side is defensive pressure which Goldsack is significantly better at. From a meta game perspective Goldsack is also a much better option - due to his height and pace opposition have to think about what to do with. With Blair the opposition match committee is like "lol put our first gamer on him". Puopolo is an apgrade on Blair but still not as good as Goldsack defensively imo. None of them are what you traditional goalkicking small forwards.

Your affection for the wee men is nonsense imo
I think Goldsack might lose his spot to Crisp. Blair is not best 22 he will be playing in the VFL unless we have injuries. Once freeman comes good Blair is gone.

We need to hope the young guys stand up and Swan gets his body right guys like Greenwood are only a stop gap

I think Greenwood will be more then just Stop Gap. He showed that is a Hardnut and shows he can get the Ball and can tag a bit.

He was the Major Reason that North got over the Peptide Bombers in there 1st Final. That is very good sign

Swan could kick 40-50 in a season based in the forward line.
Despite his awkward kick he's a very reliable set shot, he can mark, lead, crumb, has strength and short burst speed, with freeman and greenwood, Adams, broomhead coming in to the midfield I think parking swan forward for a couple of seasons could work wonders.

Yep, agree. And I kinda like the idea of our tall forwards - Cloke, White, Reid etc - running up the ground for their kicks and leaving Swanny as the guy one out in the forward 50. He'll beat more than not in a one-on-one.

...but a bulging disc - man, that worries me.

The midfield is the great unknown for us this year. Everywhere else we can look at the players we should have available and say that they are better than average in their positions. With expected improvement in young players, we actually look very competitive. The midfield is iffy. If everyone is in good physical order, and the younger ones come on, and the recruits do well, then the team is in good shape for the coming season and could well surprise as the coach predicts.
We have a lot of players, like Sinclair and Seedsman to name two, who have shown plenty at times, and could well go on to be top players. Or not. The make or break next year, other than the constant one of the injury list, will be whether the collapse in confidence we had over ball delivery is rectified. The poor disposal became self fulfilling, as those leading for kicks, or flying for marks lost confidence and stopped committing totally to the spot an accurate pass would target. They tried to cover for a likely bad kick, and in doing so ensured that that is what they got. It's insidious. It's a positive feedback loop, that somehow the coaching staff have to break.
My hopes for the coming year rest on this being addressed and not much else. If the rebuilt midfield can rise to the occasion, and the kicking issue is solved with the players we have, then we are in with a show. I really believe that confidence at both ends of the pass are at the heart of our difficulties rather than a lack of kicking ability. Only our lack of a top kick in exponent contradicts this.

Yep, agree. And I kinda like the idea of our tall forwards - Cloke, White, Reid etc - running up the ground for their kicks and leaving Swanny as the guy one out in the forward 50 He'll beat more than not in a one-on-one..

Not a bad idea, but I'd leave Elliott in there also.
Those two would be pretty damn hard to match up on if left alone in the forward 50.

I think Josh Thomas will surprise a lot of people in 2015. Although he has been in the system a long time he was effectively only a second year senior player this year. With 32 games to his name he is already averaging over 18 touches a game, proven that he can win clearances when at the contest and shown he has a knack for kicking goals when in a freer role. Funnily enough we have won 21 games and lost only 11 with him in the team despite being a middle of the road team for those two seasons.

This will be a big year from him and combined with natural improvement from Adams and hopefully a speed injection from Freeman we should improve on the inside. If we can get a full preseason into Seedsman, some natural improvement from Kennedy and Broomhead and an injury free year from Varcoe we should be vastly better on the outside as well, with better skills, smarts and more speed. I am excited about 2015.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It all starts with the ruck.
Win the ruck duel, and it will more often than not become a clearance.

Worst statement ever, if that was the case.... fremantle would win every clearance, oppoosition players shark taps more often than not now days....

I've been a big critic of Josh Thomas. He has to make next season his season. He's shown what he can do in the GWS game. If he shows he can contribute week in week out to our midfield this season he can make it. He's the one that has to stand up, its up to him now. Hopefully for us, he can stand up and contribute.

I think Josh Thomas will surprise a lot of people in 2015. Although he has been in the system a long time he was effectively only a second year senior player this year. With 32 games to his name he is already averaging over 18 touches a game, proven that he can win clearances when at the contest and shown he has a knack for kicking goals when in a freer role. Funnily enough we have won 21 games and lost only 11 with him in the team despite being a middle of the road team for those two seasons.

This will be a big year from him and combined with natural improvement from Adams and hopefully a speed injection from Freeman we should improve on the inside. If we can get a full preseason into Seedsman, some natural improvement from Kennedy and Broomhead and an injury free year from Varcoe we should be vastly better on the outside as well, with better skills, smarts and more speed. I am excited about 2015.
He will not be any good unless he can fix his kicking imo

Well last few years we have been known to have a Front Running Midfield that only run 1 way. That they run Forward but not the Other way.

We lost Dayne Beams in the Trade Period which badly hurts our Midfield but he was the Biggest Cooperate of Running 1 way.

So in his trade we got Crisp and Greenwood who are know to be 2 way Runners that can be a Defensive Mids as well going Forward in Midfield.

So we have bit of a Defensive side to our Midfield now and gives it a better balance Midfield.
If you thought we were only front running in recent years watch 2015, its going to be one of our worst seasons in the middle since the spoon.

If you thought we were only front running in recent years watch 2015, its going to be one of our worst seasons in the middle since the spoon.
So you really think this year will be our worst midfield since 1999, I don't think you even believe half the stuff you post

Remove this Banner Ad

Back