Autopsy Forget rock bottom - Roos enter the event horizon vs Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

This game really brought new meaning to the slogan "Football is my religion" for me.

The last few seasons have been the footy equivalent of Daniel Dennet and Christopher Hitchens slapping me in the scrote with hard facts.

The promised land is now just 4 good quarters in a row. Why have we been forsaken?

This game really brought new meaning to the slogan "Football is my religion" for me.

The last few seasons have been the footy equivalent of Daniel Dennet and Christopher Hitchens slapping me in the scrote with hard facts.

The promised land is now just 4 good quarters in a row. Why have we been forsaken?
This playing group has made me feel like s**t more than they have brought joy.

I am coming to the realisation that I need to stop giving a * about them for my own sanity.

Barracking for this club at the moment means Monday mornings suck!

Waking up after every North Game:

screaming tom hardy GIF

It's inconceivable that the bulk of leadership that we heavily rely on, especially on field, is not from our joint captains but from a delisted/previously briefly retired 30+ year old player from a different club. That right there is one of the numerous and big problems we have as a club. We are completely devoid of true leadership and onfield communication.

It goes without saying how important Liam Shiels has been for the club. He is almost like an extension of the coaching group when he is out there playing. Most likely having him out there yesterday, especially in those last few minutes, it would have been a different outcome. Instead we give the Eagles cheap outlets and what do we end up doing to correct it, Nothing. No voice, no urgency. We are far too slow to react to what's happening in game. We have far too many players that have little footballing IQ.

It's often said that the coaches can only do so much from the coaches box. When the games and the contest is at it's hottest, it's up to the players and leaders to make the necessary adjustments learnt from the gameplan. Also to make sure there is no breakdown in organization and structure.

Even Ratten mentioned it in his presser last week after the game against St Kilda. He said that the defense took far too long to adjust and get organized in the last quarter, especially when Marshall was sent forward and was running forward swapping with Jones. Shiels was off injured in the 3rd quarter, so maybe no surprise everything turned horribly wrong in the 4th.

When you have one of your captains, have a 5 possession game against one of the worst teams in years, that's obviously a huge problem. That's why we are so desperate for players in the 25-28 year old bracket to provide that leadership. It can't just be put on the young guns to lead the way, even with their dedication/preparation and professionalism no matter how good they peform. As they themselves are trying to find their way through and get established in the AFL. To think, this is the area where Griffin Logue will be mostly missed next year. Can we please get a bit of a reprieve.

In saying that, we have to keep in mind that next year is Clarkson's truly first proper year at the helm due to circumstances. He missed time, not only because of mental health. It's also because he couldn't get started at North until the beginning of November 2022 as he was still contracted to Hawthorn. So him not being able to be at the club because of those instances obviously isn't ideal. He is starting completely from the bottom because of the shape this list is in.

On top of that he has to as quickly as he can, get acquainted, build and establish relationships and a connection to the players/staff, know the ins and outs of that player and that absolutely takes time. How can he do it properly with him missing so much of the year. So a culmination of everything has hindered progress.

I have faith that he will turn it around. Especially with him being back in the fold these past few weeks. You see him at the U18 games, so you know he would be across all areas of the football department, now that he has time, keenly observing and getting a better, deeper understanding of the lay of the land. To step back and get that clear view on what exactly needs to be done and on what he wants. Where as if he were to be coaching, there might be aspects/little details he might miss, even more so with the mess we find ourselves in onfield. So i try to see the positive in that.

It's completely understandable to be upset and even angry. It's a complete drainer having to put up with these performances week after week. Watching some players pick and choose when to put in the required effort like its an inconvenience to them to be out there on a footy field taking time away from their Sunday, like it's them doing a favour to the club just by being there. In saying that, before we are too harsh and too critical, let's see what happens with a full year and pre-season under Clarko to build team synergy. To galvanize the group and to cut the players, who just coast, like Clarkson has previously said, we want players who want to be a part of this journey and those who wont or don't care will be left behind.

For the most part we have the off field team to get this right. I know it's yet to be seen but I believe we have the foundational pieces to get this moving in the right direction. We know it takes a bit of time to turn. We all knew we were going to have to endure some pain bottoming out. Thankfully we have Sheezel and Wardlaw to make it that little bit bearable. We can be patient but not another 4-6 years patient being this bad.

So let's hope that some of the issues, well truthfully some of the same issues that have plagued us for years, start to finally get eradicated. Being this bad has never been a part of our DNA. So hurry up North, let's get back to being and having that street fighter, never say die attitude (just like Wardlaw). It's Time.

It's inconceivable that the bulk of leadership that we heavily rely on, especially on field, is not from our joint captains but from a delisted/previously briefly retired 30+ year old player from a different club. That right there is one of the numerous and big problems we have as a club. We are completely devoid of true leadership and onfield communication.

It goes without saying how important Liam Shiels has been for the club. He is almost like an extension of the coaching group when he is out there playing. Most likely having him out there yesterday, especially in those last few minutes, it would have been a different outcome. Instead we give the Eagles cheap outlets and what do we end up doing to correct it, Nothing. No voice, no urgency. We are far too slow to react to what's happening in game. We have far too many players that have little footballing IQ.

It's often said that the coaches can only do so much from the coaches box. When the games and the contest is at it's hottest, it's up to the players and leaders to make the necessary adjustments learnt from the gameplan. Also to make sure there is no breakdown in organization and structure.

Even Ratten mentioned it in his presser last week after the game against St Kilda. He said that the defense took far too long to adjust and get organized in the last quarter, especially when Marshall was sent forward and was running forward swapping with Jones. Shiels was off injured in the 3rd quarter, so maybe no surprise everything turned horribly wrong in the 4th.

When you have one of your captains, have a 5 possession game against one of the worst teams in years, that's obviously a huge problem. That's why we are so desperate for players in the 25-28 year old bracket to provide that leadership. It can't just be put on the young guns to lead the way, even with their dedication/preparation and professionalism no matter how good they peform. As they themselves are trying to find their way through and get established in the AFL. To think, this is the area where Griffin Logue will be mostly missed next year. Can we please get a bit of a reprieve.

In saying that, we have to keep in mind that next year is Clarkson's truly first proper year at the helm due to circumstances. He missed time, not only because of mental health. It's also because he couldn't get started at North until the beginning of November 2022 as he was still contracted to Hawthorn. So him not being able to be at the club because of those instances obviously isn't ideal. He is starting completely from the bottom because of the shape this list is in.

On top of that he has to as quickly as he can, get acquainted, build and establish relationships and a connection to the players/staff, know the ins and outs of that player and that absolutely takes time. How can he do it properly with him missing so much of the year. So a culmination of everything has hindered progress.

I have faith that he will turn it around. Especially with him being back in the fold these past few weeks. You see him at the U18 games, so you know he would be across all areas of the football department, now that he has time, keenly observing and getting a better, deeper understanding of the lay of the land. To step back and get that clear view on what exactly needs to be done and on what he wants. Where as if he were to be coaching, there might be aspects/little details he might miss, even more so with the mess we find ourselves in onfield. So i try to see the positive in that.

It's completely understandable to be upset and even angry. It's a complete drainer having to put up with these performances week after week. Watching some players pick and choose when to put in the required effort like its an inconvenience to them to be out there on a footy field taking time away from their Sunday, like it's them doing a favour to the club just by being there. In saying that, before we are too harsh and too critical, let's see what happens with a full year and pre-season under Clarko to build team synergy. To galvanize the group and to cut the players, who just coast, like Clarkson has previously said, we want players who want to be a part of this journey and those who wont or don't care will be left behind.

For the most part we have the off field team to get this right. I know it's yet to be seen but I believe we have the foundational pieces to get this moving in the right direction. We know it takes a bit of time to turn. We all knew we were going to have to endure some pain bottoming out. Thankfully we have Sheezel and Wardlaw to make it that little bit bearable. We can be patient but not another 4-6 years patient being this bad.

So let's hope that some of the issues, well truthfully some of the same issues that have plagued us for years, start to finally get eradicated. Being this bad has never been a part of our DNA. So hurry up North, let's get back to being and having that street fighter, never say die attitude (just like Wardlaw). It's Time.

A well constructed and balanced post as the world collapses around Arden St. Nice work El Presidente. 👍

A well constructed and balanced post as the world collapses around Arden St. Nice work El Presidente. 👍
Thanks TT. Like you said, as the world collapses around Arden St, we have to at least try and find a modicum of positivity even if we are in dire straits at the moment. Otherwise we will end up insane in the brain if we haven't already.

This club means so much to us, that's why it hurts so much. I was too young to witness the 80s. So all I have ever known is a strong North for the most part. That 2006 season was pretty rough but apart from that, North has mostly shown fight, even with much less talented teams. Especially in that magical 2007 season. No one gave us a chance (wooden spoon favourites) yet we proved them all wrong and finished top 4. In a time that was critical no less for the survival of the club. That's the kind of fight we know this club has. Ah good times. 👍
If Melbourne found a way out which for awhile it looked like never ending, so can we. Hopefully it doesn't take as long though.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks TT. Like you said, as the world collapses around Arden St, we have to at least try and find a modicum of positivity even if we are in dire straights at the moment. Otherwise we will end up insane in the brain if we haven't already.

This club means so much to us, that's why it hurts so much. I was too young to witness the 80s. So all I have ever known is a strong North for the most part. That 2006 season was pretty rough but apart from that, North has mostly shown fight, Even with much less talented teams. Especially in that magical 2007 season. No one gave us a chance (wooden spoon favourites) yet we proved them all wrong and finished top 4. In a time that was critical no less for the survival of the club. That's the kind of fight we know this club has. Ah good times. 👍
If Melbourne found a way out which for awhile it looked like never ending, so can we. Hopefully it doesn't take as long though.

Indeed mate, indeed, and I witnessed the 70’s and 90’s domination.

Decided to take a few days to post my thoughts on this game as to remove the emotion.

The game highlighted our the wide, wide gap between our best and worst. The optimist in me points to the fact although we have only won 2 games this year, we have lost 4 by under a goal and we are clearly more competitive when compared with last year. This is despite the obvious challenges we have faced with Clarko stepping away and LDU, Jy and George copping significant in season injuries which has messed up our midfield cohesion.

In relation to Sunday the positives were:
LDU - He is playing very good football at the moment
Harry's last qtr - nearly won the game off his own boot.
Corr - He is having an elite month as a key defender. He didnt really do a pre-season so maybe this is the real Corr?
Tucker / Scott - Scott will go close to winning our b&F but i think Darcy has stepped on the other wing in recent weeks. Darce didn't have a pre-season and hopefully he gets a clear run at 2024 and makes the position his own.

The negatives are the same each week. We got out-tackled again, we lost the inside 50 tackle count 25 to 6, we take way too long to turn momentum, we conceded red time goals etc. etc. etc.

Last edited:

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

This playing group has made me feel like s**t more than they have brought joy.

I am coming to the realisation that I need to stop giving a * about them for my own sanity.

Barracking for this club at the moment means Monday mornings suck!

i’m going insane watching them. every week i look forward to watching them play whether it be at the ground or on tv. thinking as long as we’re competitive and don’t get thrashed like the sydney game, but 10 minutes in and i’m thinking “why the F do i look forward to watching this crap?”. thankfully i was busy all day sunday and watched maybe 5-10 minutes of the last quarter where showed a bit of life otherwise it would of been a waste of a day watching them lose to the weagles.

There was one point today ( probably hundred’s actually) where we had the ball in the back pocket and in screen was Lmac with the ball, Corr and Young and I thought to myself “ it’s impossible for that group of players to get this ball out of our defense”. You see it all the time but it only just occurred to me in this game that they are incapable of creating any meaningful movement of the ball. One of those epiphany moments for me.
Thats why Sheeze is still playing in the backline. I get folks screaming him to play forward (or mid), but without him across half back we're relying on Lmac, Corr, Young, Buckets, lol.

West Coast v North Melbourne​

9 Tim Kelly (WCE)
7 Shannon Hurn (WCE)
6 Luke Davies-Uniacke (NMFC)
4 Paul Curtis (NMFC)
4 Bailey J Williams (WCE)

Playing the team who have been destroyed by all in Sunbury only a lone midfield dynamo and a kid got in the votes for us.

What that says about our leadership group and senior core, where to start?

Excellent post.

Agree.

Clearly a witch. Burn the witch.

Decided to take a few days to post my thoughts on this game as to remove the emotion.

The game highlighted our the wide, wide gap between our best and worst. The optimist in me points to the fact although we have only won 4 games this year, we have lost 4 by under a goal and we are clearly more competitive when compared with last year. This is despite the obvious challenges we have faced with Clarko stepping away and LDU, Jy and George copping significant in season injuries which has messed up our midfield cohesion.

In relation to Sunday the positives were:
LDU - He is playing very good football at the moment
Harry's last qtr - nearly won the game off his own boot.
Corr - He is having an elite month as a key defender. He didnt really do a pre-season so maybe this is the real Corr?
Tucker / Scott - Scott will go close to winning our b&F but i think Darcy has stepped on the other wing in recent weeks. Darce didn't have a pre-season and hopefully he gets a clear run at 2024 and makes the position his own.

The negatives are the same each week. We got out-tackled again, we lost the inside 50 tackle count 25 to 6, we take way too long to turn momentum, we conceded red time goals etc. etc. etc.

Pretty sure we've only won 2 games...

Scott is what he is, if there is a player on our list that is closest to delivering 100% of what they are capable it has been him for half the year. His disposal is patchy and lacks damage, I think that will be a forgiveable issue when he has 10 team mates that go close to delivering to their talent like he does.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back