Autopsy Forget rock bottom - Roos enter the event horizon vs Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Port board is angry they “only” have top 4 finishes, and “only” play finals without winning flags.

Mate, I’d be happy to be back up the ladder every couple of years with half a chance… Instead of languishing down here making excuses for ourselves every goddamn year.

They exist to win premierships.
We exist to win two quarters and make feel-good TikToks.

Won't happen, but I'd love Luke M to be dropped. Clarko needs to make a statement!
This would be the one thing that Clarko could do to say to the whole team that enough's enough, everyone is on notice, you have to be able to meet minimum standards. Like you I'd love for it to happen but I doubt it will.

It's a statement of the bleeding obvious, that we, as a club, need to dramatically all facets of how we operate: recruitment, development, fitness base, how we manage injuries, game plan, an so on.

Another statement of the obvious is that we improve standards and leadership on the ground. Again, stating the obvious, McDonald has to be stripped of his co-captaincy. It's left field, but I'd install LDU and someone like Shiels as co-captains. LDU represents our home-grown players, and Shiels, or some shiny new off-season recruit, represents the standards that we desperately need to drive towards and embed, once more, as part of our culture.

My second suggestion, and I assume that it happens now, is to set non-negotiable individual and team standards. Starting from next season, if we have a semi-serviceable replacement, we make an example of the senior player who most seriously fails to meet those standards. If we can, keep them in the reserves until they show significant improvement. We need to blow up what seems, from the outside, to be a "ten minutes effort a game is good enough culture" and I can't think of a better way to do it. Again, if we don't blow up that culture, we deserve to be one of the worst teams in living memory.

Drastic action just needs to be taken starting with the captains and then the senior players. I don't want farewell games or sentiment. Make the delistings now and get on with planning for next year.
In a normal season I agree there isn't much place for sentiment but given how a lot of the fan base are still reeling from how we treated Boomer, Spud, Drew and (to a lesser extent) Dal Santo I think the worst thing the club could do is not give Jack and Cunners (if he decides to hang up the boots) a farewell game.

Playing Jack and / or Cunners isn't going to impact the outcome of the game we're not winning any of our last 4 games and it's not like they're pushing out a young player and even if they were one game isn't going to impact their development.

Last edited:
Don't get it : (

Just remembered there was another low yesterday - the Fremantle supporters in the crowd yesterday supporting us.

If my computational device serves me correctly, we have managed to disappoint the fans of a club that have never won a premiership in their 28 years in the comp and have never looked further off winning one. We have disappointed them.

I know we don't care about Freo but bloody hell. That's some achievement.

The best thing about our turnovers was that most were under little to no pressure. It wasn’t like West Coast were putting on elite pressure
Fox tel put a pressure graphic on the screen at one point showing WCE at elite. We switched briefly to the Mel/Rmd game and watched the last 5 or 6 minutes. The frenetic pace and pressure was so far above the North/WCE game it wasn't funny.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is still the lack of movement that bothers me most. With a couple of exceptions players are flat footed, not running on, not chasing their opponent, lack of second efforts. You see the opposition spread and we are nowhere near them, make little effort to close on them..................is that coaching, skills, game plan?
Yep. And when in possession, the tendency for North players upfield is to bunch instead of spread, and they all fly for marks.

Fox tel put a pressure graphic on the screen at one point showing WCE at elite. We switched briefly to the Mel/Rmd game and watched the last 5 or 6 minutes. The frenetic pace and pressure was so far above the North/WCE game it wasn't funny.
They probably measured as elite through all of our turnovers. But let’s get serious most of those were not due to any elite type of pressure and the ones where we were pressured were because we brought the pressure on ourselves due to shithouse decision making.

The ARC didn't seem to spend very long reviewing that did they.
Yes that was odd given their propensity to review every clearly touched kick on goal for at least a minute before deciding it was touched. They have the technology I wonder why they didn't review it? The Roo boys clearly thought it had been a goal, could we have asked for a review?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back