Mega Thread 2014 Free Agency and Trade discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carey was good (to say the least), but I don't understand how a 31 year old goes for pick #2, let alone pick #18 too. The 28 games that Adelaide got out of him were quality, but certainly not worth what they gave up for him, when injury was always a serious risk at that age. I guess they'd just finished third on the ladder so they figured it could put them up for contention, but in hindsight (as with most trade/draft moves) that has to be one of the worst trades ever.
We'd made the prelim that year and the feeling around the club was that we were a good key forward short of taking the next step. Gary Ayers pushed hard for Carey and we ultimately paid top dollar for him. What didn't help, however, was that the AFL announced Carlton's sanctions AFTER trade week, so what was picks 4 and 21 ended up being picks 2 and 18. Great deal for North, given that Wells was one of the two real standout juniors that year (the feeling was that it was pretty even after the top two, and an overall very shallow draft). I've heard it said that we wouldn't have given up pick 2 if we knew we had it.
There were some at the club who were far more into bringing Pavlich home, which was a serious option at that point given that he was homesick and apparently contacted our club about his interest in a trade, but Ayers' overruled it and diverted our focus towards Carey. We didn't end up making a serious play at Pav.
It was just a shambles. Carey spent half his time with us injured, and retired in 2004. We overpaid for him big time, which was made worse by the AFL's handling of Carlton's sanctions.
It's still hard to believe that we gave up our second chance at Pavlich for this, given how much Pav had already shown by this point. Heck, we probably could have had them both if we'd been creative about it. *in Gary Ayers.

We'd made the prelim that year and the feeling around the club was that we were a good key forward short of taking the next step. Gary Ayers pushed hard for Carey and we ultimately paid top dollar for him. What didn't help, however, was that the AFL announced Carlton's sanctions AFTER trade week, so what was picks 4 and 21 ended up being picks 2 and 18. Great deal for North, given that Wells was one of the two real standout juniors that year (the feeling was that it was pretty even after the top two, and an overall very shallow draft). I've heard it said that we wouldn't have given up pick 2 if we knew we had it.
There were some at the club who were far more into bringing Pavlich home, which was a serious option at that point given that he was homesick and apparently contacted our club about his interest in a trade, but Ayers' overruled it and diverted our focus towards Carey. We didn't end up making a serious play at Pav.
It was just a shambles. Carey spent half his time with us injured, and retired in 2004. We overpaid for him big time, which was made worse by the AFL's handling of Carlton's sanctions.
It's still hard to believe that we gave up our second chance at Pavlich for this, given how much Pav had already shown by this point. Heck, we probably could have had them both if we'd been creative about it. ****in Gary Ayers.
Even 4 and 21 would have been huge overs.

If anyone can empathise with trade/draft shambles, it's this board. Welcome, brother.

They keep talking about us being in the box seat for Shiel, stop getting me excited.

Also into Higgins, I like this. Yeah he's inconsistent but his skills are something we crave and who knows what a change of scenery will do for him.

Who are they?

This stage of the year I'm using this stuff to keep the interest peaking for myself.

Maybe you could maintain a "minutes since someone demanded Jack Grimes be stripped of the captaincy and/or dropped" counter?

I said keep my interest, not blow my brains out with rage.

Someone would need to be very accurate to blow my brains out.

I did find an article in the HUN which mentioned Higgins and Malceski as possibilities.

Jarryn Geary was also mentioned which I hadn't heard before - he would be a good fit, depending on cost of course.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did find an article in the HUN which mentioned Higgins and Malceski as possibilities.

Jarryn Geary was also mentioned which I hadn't heard before - he would be a good fit, depending on cost of course.
Wouldn't mind Higgins or Malceski for the right price. Preferably trades so as not to dilute the Frawley compo.
Not sold on Geary; seems another role player/battler type which we've got plenty of already. Would probably make our 22 but what would he really add over Bail, Terlich, Riley, M Jones, etc?

Wouldn't mind Higgins or Malceski for the right price. Preferably trades so as not to dilute the Frawley compo.
Not sold on Geary; seems another role player/battler type which we've got plenty of already. Would probably make our 22 but what would he really add over Bail, Terlich, Riley, M Jones, etc?

I think he's definitely a step up on those guys myself, but yeh we would certainly be looking at him from the view of adding some midfield depth - not the star player.

Anyone know our salary cap situation? With Clark retiring and unlikely to retain Frawley I'd imagine we have heaps, we should be preparing to have a serious crack at Dangerfield next year. $1m a year for 5 years as a starting point.

Anyone know our salary cap situation? With Clark retiring and unlikely to retain Frawley I'd imagine we have heaps, we should be preparing to have a serious crack at Dangerfield next year. $1m a year for 5 years as a starting point.

We have to pay 95% of the cap every year, so there must be some truly terrible players on more coin than they deserve.

Watching the game now, I'm hoping the Sydney connection upstairs might get us a bit of discussion time on players like Cunningham, Rohan, Tom Mitchell, etc. If we can pick up a good fringe player or two from Sydney (not Craig Bird please) and a gun young mid from GWS, that'd be a tremendous trade period.

We also need to go hard at the 2016 FA pool (2008 draftees). Beams, Hanneberry, Shuey, Hill, etc. Get in their ear now. Chances of any of them moving is minimal, but at least we'll be active and hopefully get a few players thinking.

We have to pay 95% of the cap every year, so there must be some truly terrible players on more coin than they deserve.

Watching the game now, I'm hoping the Sydney connection upstairs might get us a bit of discussion time on players like Cunningham, Rohan, Tom Mitchell, etc. If we can pick up a good fringe player or two from Sydney (not Craig Bird please) and a gun young mid from GWS, that'd be a tremendous trade period.
I would love to know how we reach that 95%, surely players must get paid above what their contract says.

We also need to go hard at the 2016 FA pool (2008 draftees). Beams, Hanneberry, Shuey, Hill, etc. Get in their ear now. Chances of any of them moving is minimal, but at least we'll be active and hopefully get a few players thinking.
2016 seems like a cracking free agency year, it is very early now but yeah start to get players thinking.

I wonder if we can make a trade of 1st round and compo picks to GWS for a combination of either forward Cameron or Patton and and midfielder Shield or O'Rouke and still be able to go after Dangerfield a year later.

I would love to know how we reach that 95%, surely players must get paid above what their contract says.

2016 seems like a cracking free agency year, it is very early now but yeah start to get players thinking.

I wonder if we can make a trade of 1st round and compo picks to GWS for a combination of either forward Cameron or Patton and and midfielder Shield or O'Rouke and still be able to go after Dangerfield a year later.

I honestly don't know why it's a rule. Amazing thievery from the players' association; there are some horrible lists over the years that'd barely scratch half the cap if they were getting paid market rate. I'm hoping we loaded up a few spuds like Joel MacDonald, Tom Gillies, etc... otherwise we're paying inflated salaries across the board and it's going to make it harder to find cap space. I'm sure the accountants know what they're doing front-loading contracts and so forth, so hopefully the salad days are over.

O'Rourke is a definite possibility, but Patton wouldn't be up for grabs unless he rattles the cage. If Cameron wants out, we'll be one of 17 clubs giving him the eyes and I think St Kilda would give up their first pick and a couple of players to get him. Don't know where the talk on Shiel or Treloar wanting out is coming from, but if it's true, one of those two plus O'Rourke as a sweetener for our 1st rounder and test the waters at Sydney for Mitchell with our 2nd rounder. Hopefully we get Stretch with the 3rd round pick.

O'Rourke is a definite possibility, but Patton wouldn't be up for grabs unless he rattles the cage. If Cameron wants out, we'll be one of 17 clubs giving him the eyes and I think St Kilda would give up their first pick and a couple of players to get him. Don't know where the talk on Shiel or Treloar wanting out is coming from, but if it's true, one of those two plus O'Rourke as a sweetener for our 1st rounder and test the waters at Sydney for Mitchell with our 2nd rounder. Hopefully we get Stretch with the 3rd round pick.
1. Whether or not Cameron will want to go to the Saints is another thing entirely. Of course the same could be said of us, but I'd like to think we have a tiny bit more promise and certainly a lot more money/cap space. Of course there's also the Roos factor (or maybe there isn't).
2. Mitchell for our second rounder?! Are you crazy?!

We will have cap space with Clark retiring, if we throw money in front of Patton now or any young GWS gun we could get them rattling the cage.

If Frawley leaves we will have 2 top 5 draft picks, possibly picks 2 and 3, think we could trump the saints offer ( not sure they haven many players to give up), it's why we must go hard this year at the GWS players while we have the compo pick and the cash. Both Patton and Cameron are contracted next year but GWS might not get a better offer.

If we have picks 2 and 3 it'll probably mean we've lost to both GWS and Brisbane, and if that happens it's going to mighty difficult to lure anyone.
Don't know about that, over all this season the club has shown improvement but win or lose those last games we are still a bottom 4 side, if we are to lure players to Melbourne it's going to be for home factor and money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back