Friday Night Football no longer a showcase?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know. In the past few years Essendon has responded to bad news with a win. This is should be the first decent Friday Night Match on 2015.

Yeh North should, north should, and I want to believe.
But for 6 quarters in 2014 we didnt.
Then we did in that 2nd half of the elim.

I think WADAs decision may finally sink in on top of the trip back from Perth. But if its another galvanisation and they are all finally match fit then its 50/50. Like Freo, West Coast and Hawthorn have learnt before us, this early on in the year they are usually a good showing. And no matter how each team is travelling who knows wtf will happen when we play em.

7 Rounds in and we finally have a game between two of last year's top 8 sides. And what do you know, it's a half decent game!!

Who woulda f&$*in thunk it

Don't worry though as regular service will resume next week with Carlton returning. Can't possibly have the worst team in the league missing Friday night football for 3 weeks in a row.

Don't worry though as regular service will resume next week with Carlton returning. Can't possibly have the worst team in the league missing Friday night football for 3 weeks in a row.

Should send that post in an email to the polo player.

TV networks stakeholders should realise where certain "Big 4" teams are at instead of primarily looking at things like membership numbers and attendance. The shitfest that Carlton and Richmond are putting up is damaging their and the AFLs brand and the neutral (prime audience) hates it.

Carlton were always going to drop off this year, giving them a ridiculous amount of coverage was a joke considering they only won 7 games last year, a figure that the Western Bulldogs and Brisbane Lions also had last year but both those teams are Friday nightless this year.

Tonight's game was good to watch. Fast paced and close.

The next two weeks, is anyone even gonna bother tuning in? Maybe to see just how much Carlton will get pummelled by?

I will be tuning into the Sydney vs Carlton game but I am not deluded enough to think that is a game that any neutral fan is going to care about.

Due to work commitments on a friday I usually only catch the second half of the game. Reckon tonight was the first friday night match all year I've actually raced home to watch. Normally I either flick it on without much interest, or just don't bother all together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe its rose coloured glasses but FNF used to always feel like it delivered least amount of blowouts, most amount of thrillers, regardless of the ladder positions.

I would like to thank the AFL for their fine work on the fixture this year, especially with Friday nights.

Living in the USA, I have to get up before 5:00 Friday morning to watch the game.

Carlton is the best snooze bar ever.

Sunday afternoon football has easily produced the best results this season that I can think of on FTA. The only blowout was round 1 when Adelaide smashed North.

Essendon vs Hawthorn, Geelong vs Gold Coast, St Kilda vs Essendon, Carlton vs Brisbane, Richmond vs Collingwood were all decided by under 10 points.

Bit nervous now........Playing Melbourne in that timeslot this week :(

It still should be but the fixture has meant that the AFL is doing some serious damage to its brand and giving the NRL and everything else a free shot. IF Malthouse is still coaching next week I can't think of a single reason why anyone would want to watch Sydney v Carlton, it will be a 100 point flogging. Considering ratings dictates tv rights value it is definitely not helping the AFL position going into the rights negotiations with 7.

They Are a showcase in the same way public executions were back in the day.

With too many teams and everyone wanting a slice of the Friday night pie it's no real surprise that most games are a snooze fest.

With too many teams and everyone wanting a slice of the Friday night pie it's no real surprise that most games are a snooze fest.
Giving the darlings Carlton and Richmond 12 between them is not because of too many teams.

Nb4 yours is the first to go

The Friday night scheduling would be worrying the AFL a lot this season.

I reckon the 2016 fixture will contain a couple rounds where there is a double header on a Friday night. One game in Melbourne and one game interstate.

The double header on Friday nights at least needs to be trialed!?
Very little chance of that. Friday night is worth a lot to FTA networks because it is the one timeslot without any other game on, and therefore no reason for people to switch to Fox (at least, not a footy reason).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back