MRP / Trib. Fyfe, Dawson facing suspensions..?

Remove this Banner Ad

This was a bad decision shouldn't have been suspended especially for that long. If a reprimand was given it should have been 50 points minus an early guilty plea.

Nat gets suspended for the most innocuous things. Last year it was two weeks for pushing some doofus off him with his foot. Next year he'll get two weeks for getting a haircut.

Article calling for Brownlow criteria to be reviewed after Fyfe's case.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-01/brownlow-unfair

While I think the article is silly, It got me thinking and I can't help thinking that we made a bad move not contesting in tribunal.
They may let him off just to avoid the backlash. Then again, this is afl we are talking about
What Grounds could they argue the charge on? Its black and white.

What Grounds could they argue the charge on? Its black and white.

Not much I agree. The rule is pretty specific. Might have to be something lame like there were no intention to bump except he slipped and braced himself. Some argument that won't fly normally but just enough excuse for the tribunal to let him off.

Anyway, it's pure speculative at this point and a waste of my crystal ball's battery anyway :)

1655905_10203227546151714_1543125259_n.jpg

Article calling for Brownlow criteria to be reviewed after Fyfe's case.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-01/brownlow-unfair

While I think the article is silly, It got me thinking and I can't help thinking that we made a bad move not contesting in tribunal.
They may let him off just to avoid the backlash. Then again, this is afl we are talking about
A case of special pleading for those who put money on him to win. The reality is that no one should be suspended for that kind of contact. Not that Brownlow eligibility should be changed. Two weeks is grossly over the top.

If you want to discourage it, fines are as an appropriate means as anything. The Brownlow medal is the least important thing here, although to the money grubbing AFL it is probably seen as the most important thing due to the fact it is so heavily gambled on.

You had injuries/suspensions like this last year, you only lost 5 games

Thanks ep2006. Your uplifting presence about these parts is hugely appreciated.:thumbsu:

Idiot me thought we were going to have a special relationship with the footy gods this year, that's all. From now on though I'll remember to meet with Triumph and Disaster and treat those two impostors just the same. And why stop at Kipling? I'll consult my Little Red Book of Quotations from Ross the Boss and remind myself that: "Nothing is ever as good or as bad as it seems."

Is it just me, but they should get the Umpires themselves to man the Match Review Panel?

Not some people who basically are going to have views that would disregard 'the heat of the moment' so to speak.

Understand an impartial view, but it also removes that little thing called common sense.

Plus for whatever reason there's no binding use of precedent, what sort of system is this far out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it just me, but they should get the Umpires themselves to man the Match Review Panel?

Not some people who basically are going to have views that would disregard 'the heat of the moment' so to speak.

Understand an impartial view, but it also removes that little thing called common sense.

Plus for whatever reason there's no binding use of precedent, what sort of system is this far out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, except umpires won't say they got it wrong at the mrp nor that the mrp is wrong at the tribunal.
Having different people for each is the only few things that they got right.

You are right though. Common sense is always required, but unfortunately not very common

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see Archer and other former players apalled by Fyfe's suspension.

Glenn Archer ‏@GlennArcher11 2h
Players being rubbed out for accidents has become a blight on our game and frustrates the hell out of me and so many others. #freenatfyfe
CollapseRETWEETS175
  • FAVORITES124
Mark Ricciuto ‏@markricciuto 2h
@GlennArcher11 its a joke arch. It needs to be fixed. Could cost fyfe and freo anything and importantly it will cost the game credibility
  • RETWEETS15
  • FAVORITES23

This is what I was talking about earlier today, ( I am still gutted by this), with legends of the game publicly lambasting decisions like this and the media picking up these, and the footballing publics, sentiments and creating a shitstorm of criticism and vitriol towards the AFL and forcing some realistic change.

Sadly, and ******* frustratingly, it won't help Fyfe or us.

This is what I was talking about earlier today, ( I am still gutted by this), with legends of the game publicly lambasting decisions like this and the media picking up these, and the footballing publics, sentiments and creating a shitstorm of criticism and vitriol towards the AFL and forcing some realistic change.

Sadly, and ******* frustratingly, it won't help Fyfe or us.
It won't help in the short term - however it helps the theory that in the long term - common sense will eventually prevail and the red tape governing crap like this will be tossed, or at the very least ironed out to remove grey areas.

You're tempted to give my post a 'like' aren't ya? Admit it... :D :rolleyes:

Who are you?

It won't help in the short term - however it helps the theory that in the long term - common sense will eventually prevail and the red tape governing crap like this will be tossed, or at the very least ironed out to remove grey areas.

Yeah, I don't know so much. I'm of the opinion, as I discussed with Clay earlier today, that the perfect storm is coming the AFL's way, with the public's anti-AFL sentiment and cynicism at an all time high , and all that is needed is a catalyst to set it off.

What that catalyst will be remains to be seen, but this type of thing is just increasing the pressure. It may be the final outcome of the "supplements" fiasco, or the current uproar about ticket prices in Victoria. However, I feel sure that it will happen shortly, especially if the media gets on board and keeps stirring the pot and mobilising the general public nuff-nuffs.

Yeah, I don't know so much. I'm of the opinion, as I discussed with Clay earlier today, that the perfect storm is coming the AFL's way, with the public's anti-AFL sentiment and cynicism at an all time high , and all that is needed is a catalyst to set it off.

What that catalyst will be remains to be seen, but this type of thing is just increasing the pressure. It may be the final outcome of the "supplements" fiasco, or the current uproar about ticket prices in Victoria. However, I feel sure that it will happen shortly, especially if the media gets on board and keeps stirring the pot and mobilising the general public nuff-nuffs.
Well the catalyst won't from Bigfooty. Exhibit A:

cHVwpgL.png

Apathy is all too pervasive in our society.:(

It's only in a NIMBY situation that people actually give a damn, and that is only because their self-interest and entitlement syndrome is under threat.

And people wonder why I am a dropout from mainstream society. (Apart from footy).

It's not apathy I'm pointing to. Any discussion that paints the AFL in a negative light on here gets punted to a sub-board. I wonder why?

Fair enough, I missed your context, but I do agree.

Perhaps Chief or grizzlym could cast some light on this?

One would think that a major football site like this would support the advocation of supporters frustration with the AFL.

Perhaps even start a formal petition, or the like, to pass on to AFL House on behalf of the fans?

Fair enough, I missed your context, but I do agree.

Perhaps Chief or grizzlym could cast some light on this?

One would think that a major football site like this would support the advocation of supporters frustration with the AFL.

Perhaps even start a formal petition, or the like, to pass on to AFL House on behalf of the fans?

Not the case. There are sub boards that deal with specific areas of content - footy industry, umpiring, asada - reason being that withoug that the mainboard would be too unwieldly. The main board gets a huge amount of traffic and is a fast river at the best of times.

Indeed, I'm quite vocal in my disgust at the way of the game has gone and the antics of the Fat Controller.

No agenda, either spoken or tacit, from us in any way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back