Preview Geelong at the 2014 AFL National Draft, Thursday 27 November

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the film. I am reminded of Nakia Coackatoo, except he was paying kids. This guy is playing men. I love his pace and foot skills. I'm sure it's wrong, but you could see that in trading with Adelaide as we did, we could have thought that we optimise our key back choice, and Boekhorst is our version of Cockatoo that we thought we could pick up at 47 or later. A combo of Lever or Goddard and Boekhorst would be a great base for this draft.
Pretty sure the Blues will take Boekhorst with their 2nd round pick... that's the word around the traps

From Twomey's phantom draft where he discusses possibilities for our later picks:

Picks: 10, 47, 55, 59
Geelong's strategy later on might be dependent on what happens at pick 10, their first selection. Many people see this draft as one that will run on a 'needs basis', particularly early on. The Cats lost some speed through the trade period with the departures of Travis Varcoe and Allen Christensen. They have shown some interest in North Ballarat's Daniel Butler, and he would offer some spark and hardness near goal. Another they might consider is Billy Evans, a medium midfielder who goes forward to kick goals.

My realistic hopes:

10. Lever (unless Goddard is available)

47/55/59. Three of McGrath, Nelson, Webb, Evans, Anderson, Miles

Similar thoughts. My preference is Lever or Goddard, otherwise next best regardless.

And in a draft where there is an unusual strength of talls early on, you'd imagine an assortment of handy mid types will fall to our later picks.
Nelson would be a decent pick up but there are a lot of names flying around that could fill those 3 picks at present.

Last edited:
From Twomey's phantom draft where he discusses possibilities for our later picks:

Picks: 10, 47, 55, 59
Geelong's strategy later on might be dependent on what happens at pick 10, their first selection. Many people see this draft as one that will run on a 'needs basis', particularly early on. The Cats lost some speed through the trade period with the departures of Travis Varcoe and Allen Christensen. They have shown some interest in North Ballarat's Daniel Butler, and he would offer some spark and hardness near goal. Another they might consider is Billy Evans, a medium midfielder who goes forward to kick goals.

http://madmondayshow.com/2014/11/19/dan-butler-north-ballarat-rebels-player-analysis-video/

Daniel Butler - Vic C North Ballarat Rebels
DOB 3.6.1996 Height: 181cm Weight: 79kg

Exciting Medium Forward that possesses extreme pace and lateral movement. Very creative type, dangerous near goal and also has the ability to play midfield or in defence when required. Averaged 11.8 disposals and 2.3 marks over six games in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships playing with Vic Country. His best came against Western Australia kicking three majors.

Obviously looking for speed and goal kicking ability. Looks like a burst player, like the Blease mould.

Amazing in the last day or two that teh Saints pick appears to have swung back to McCartin. Can not remember who I debated this with but I do remember me saying that he was a good chance of going number 1. Of course nothing has happen yet but I think my point was its not obvious this year.

So far we have been Phantomed as ...
Durdin by Twomey
Wright by HS
Durdin by Inside Football/SEN

Still waiting for the EmmaQ

The SEN one had a several players going after our pick Id be happy with , Marchbank gone at 7. Frankly its a dogs breakfast this year. Someone with P20 something could end up with a player in the best 5 for sure.

I would be happy with any of these kids:

Cockatoo
Goddard
Lever
Wright
Durdin
Gore
Bampton
McLean
McGuinness
Daniel

Would really like Gore at 47 if he makes it.
Bampton would be a good get also.
McGuinness could be a good attacking HBF.
McLean and Daniel to me are just natural footballers (can never have too many of those on our list) and have been made to work for every opportunity and could be great gets also.

Amazing in the last day or two that teh Saints pick appears to have swung back to McCartin. Can not remember who I debated this with but I do remember me saying that he was a good chance of going number 1. Of course nothing has happen yet but I think my point was its not obvious this year.

So far we have been Phantomed as ...
Durdin by Twomey
Wright by HS
Durdin by Inside Football/SEN

Still waiting for the EmmaQ

The SEN one had a several players going after our pick Id be happy with , Marchbank gone at 7. Frankly its a dogs breakfast this year. Someone with P20 something could end up with a player in the best 5 for sure.

EmmaQ went Durdin as well.

She also had laverde sliding to 19(!) who would be my pick

With the lack of clarity between picks 4-20 odd it just makes the Stanley trade even more baffling to me

EmmaQ went Durdin as well.

She also had laverde sliding to 19(!) who would be my pick

With the lack of clarity between picks 4-20 odd it just makes the Stanley trade even more baffling to me

And Goddard to 21, if that happens in the real thing I'll be a little disappointed.

I hope we give ben cavarra a go. Most likely rookie draft if anything but is worth a shot. Amazed he wasnt drafted last year by anyone. Only queries I can see that clubs could have are his size.

Pick 10 I would be happy with wright or goddard or durdin or lever.

Pick 10 I would be happy with wright or goddard or durdin or lever.
Agree. I flirted with the idea of Laverde or Pickett when we moved up but I've returned to my soapbox and hope we get a tall defender (or Wright if he is there) with that pick.

Don't care who either, they all can play.

We'll just need to show some patience.

We can get some mids later on (there will be some guys available later on that can play a bit and will be handy enough).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong team that under is 25 years old, This shows us the gaps we have and what we should be looking for for in this years draft:

FB: Bews Kolodjashnij Smedts
HB: Bates Toohey Thurlow
C: Motlop Caddy Guthrie
HF: Kersten Vardy Murdoch
FF: Hartman Walker Lang
R: Stanley Duncan Horlin-Smith
Inter: Blicavs McCarthy Jansen Cowan

Others: Menzel (Just because of injury) Lucey, Luxford, Blease

When I look at this list both strengths and deficiencies:

Backline: The Backline is the greatest area of concern for me, out of the back 6 posted I only have confidence in 3; Kolodjashnij, Bews and Thurlow are all strong, quick, efficient by foot and competitive. Smedts is an unknown for me but I’m hoping for the best, Bates and Toohey are interesting and they both have weapons and large weaknesses. Bates is quick and a beautiful kick however he is undersized and seems to have large hamstring issues and Toohey is tall, smart, a good mover and is one of the better kicks I’ve seen for someone his size but he doesn’t seem to enjoy the contest and despite his height and weight is easily pushed off the ball.

Need: KPD

Midfield: The midfield is the area that I have the most confidence in because quality and flexibility of the players. Duncan, Caddy, Horlin, Hartman, Guthrie and Jansen are all 186+ and are a solid core to build around and this is why I’d prefer not to use our 1st round on a mid. We could you little more power on the outside with some more two way gut runners. However I think we already have the players coming through to fix the clearance problem. I think we should wait until next year to pull the trigger on a first round midfielder because next year’s draft has a larger amount of midfield depth.

Need: High production strong transition runners

Forward line: The forward line has an enormous amount of talent and it also has a lot of injury and inconsistency running through it with our players under 25, Vardy, Menzel, Kersten, McCarthy and Blease are all players that have had injury interrupted careers. We also need our smalls to put more pressure on the opposition with the scoreboard and defensive efforts, McCarthy, Motlop and Murdoch all have the ability to improve in this area.

Need: Small forward that hits the scoreboard and is not injury prone

Ruck: Lucey is only Genuine No. 1 ruck sized player in this age bracket and that probably isn’t enough depth in an area where we have repeatedly found short, the positive thing is with both Stanley and Blicavs coming through so our secondary ruck spot is very strong.

Need: Dominate tap ruckman

My ideal Draft

10: Goddard 196, Strong, competitive and skilled KPD

47: Gore 183, aggressive, athletic and ready-made mid.

55: Nelson 187, highly skilled HBF possible future mid, Falcons coach says he is reminded of Boak at same age.

59: Fordham 188, Strong transition runner that is very clean, reminds me of Duncan

Rookie:

P1: Manteit 186, Good all round defender capable of shut down and rebounding roles

P2: Short 179, high production and has great disposal

Others I like for later picks: Glenn, Mennen, Langdon, McDonargh, Millington, McClaren and Kovacevic

I would be happy with any of these kids:

Cockatoo
Goddard
Lever
Wright
Durdin
Gore
Bampton
McLean
McGuinness
Daniel

Would really like Gore at 47 if he makes it.
Bampton would be a good get also.
McGuinness could be a good attacking HBF.
McLean and Daniel to me are just natural footballers (can never have too many of those on our list) and have been made to work for every opportunity and could be great gets also.
I reckon Bampton is a real chance to slide to 47... McGuiness, McLean and Daniel will be around at 47 as well I think.

From all reports so far, it appears we are looking for speedy types that are good around goals with our latter selections.

I reckon Bampton is a real chance to slide to 47... McGuiness, McLean and Daniel will be around at 47 as well I think.

From all reports so far, it appears we are looking for speedy types that are good around goals with our latter selections.
Daniel will be there at 59 id say , most would sat at the Rookie draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back